Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

United's Current Boarding Process (with Wiki) [2016-forward]{Archive}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 19, 2017, 11:05 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Source: United Boarding Process

New changes (effective 18 Sept 2018)

You will see some new boarding lane signs in the gate area that will guide you through the boarding process. There will now be two lanes that are color coded : to begin, Group 1 will board through the blue lane and Group 2 will board through the green lane. The remaining Groups 3-5 will then board through the green lane when called, and Groups 1 and 2 can continue to board through the blue lane .

We encourage you to make yourself comfortable while you wait for your group to be called, and we’ll let you know when we’re ready for you to board. Late arriving customers in Groups 1 and 2 are welcome to continue boarding through the blue lane at any time.

Boarding groups

Pre-boarding

1. Unaccompanied minors
  2. Customers with disabilities
  3. Active members of the military
  4. United Global Services® members
  5. Families traveling with children age 2 and younger
  6. Premier® 1K® members

Group 1

• Premier Platinum members
  • Premier Gold members
  • Star Alliance™ Gold members
  • Customers seated in premium cabins: United Polaris®, United First® and United Business®

Group 2

• Premier Silver members
  • Star Alliance Silver members
  • Customers who have purchased Premier Access® or Priority Boarding
  • United℠ Explorer, Club, Presidential Plus℠ and Awards Cardmembers

Groups 3 – 5

• Economy Plus®
  • United Economy®
  • Basic Economy*

* Customers who have purchased a Basic Economy ticket will be in the last boarding group, except for Premier members, Chase Cardmembers of qualifying cards and Star Alliance Gold members, who will still receive their priority boarding.
Originally Posted by JOSECONLSCREW28
There will also be updated boarding times:

757 & Widebody aircraft: 50 min prior to departure
737-800/900 & 737 MAX 40 min prior to departure
737-700 & A319/A320 35 min prior to departure
================================================== ==============================
Pre Sept 2018 process

Pre-Boarding
  • Unaccompanied minors
  • Customers with disabilities
  • Uniformed members of the U.S. military
  • Families traveling with children age two and younger
  • United Global Services® members
Premier Access Boarding
  • Group 1: Premier 1K, Premier Platinum, Business/Polaris Business, and First/Polaris First.
  • Group 2: Premier Gold, Star Gold, Premier Silver, Star Silver, MileagePlus Presidential Plus, Club, Explorer and Awards, purchased Premier Access

General boarding (Window Seats, then Middle Seats, then Aisle)
  • Group 3 - Window Seats
  • Group 4 - Middle & Aisle Seats (Aisle Seats on UA Express)
  • Group 5 - Basic Economy

Customers who have purchased a Basic Economy ticket will be in the last boarding group, with the exception of Premier members, Chase Cardmembers of qualifying cards and Star Alliance Gold members, who will still receive their priority boarding.

Note: If you’re traveling with a companion and one of you has a higher boarding status, you both may board with the earlier group.

Note: Self Boarding Gates are being tested at the following gates...
  • IAH - Gate C25/C26 - See Post 2960, Includes YouTube video from CO777DAL
  • IAH - Gate E4 - Old test from pmCO days, See Thread Here
  • BOS - Self boarding gates are now back in *LIMITED* use at least at gates B25 and B26

sUA Boarding Times by Aircraft (AFA)

Previous thread: United's Current Boarding Process (with Wiki) [Revised, May 2013]
Print Wikipost

United's Current Boarding Process (with Wiki) [2016-forward]{Archive}

Search this Thread

Old Sep 17, 2018, 10:55 am

Programs: UA LT Plat, 2.5mm, Hilton LTD, SPG LT Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz Whatever
Two out of four flights last week. SNA being one of them.
Old Sep 17, 2018, 11:09 am

Location: DFW from PDX - UA 1K 2MM,Lifetime HHonnors Diamond, Bonvoy AMB/LT Tit, National Exec Elite, Hertz PC
Hmmm

I have not seen it yet. Last week I boarded in DFW, MSP, ORD, DTW, and IAH. Just boarded again in DFW and it was the same.
Old Sep 17, 2018, 11:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
What are the odds that the current UA goes back to the old UA boarding process after all is said and done?

David

p.s. When do the "gate lice" threads restart?
Old Sep 17, 2018, 11:27 am

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
1K here and my BPs still say Group 1. I was a bit shocked when I saw the huge BG1 line this morning at PDX (now I know why). There was no separate call for 1Ks.
In SFO now and not sure what am I supposed to do...get in th BG 1 line and push my way to the front IF they decide to call 1Ks first? I wonder if they’ll make a prior announcement, otherwise I’m guessing it’ll be a real cluster F!
Old Sep 17, 2018, 11:36 am

Programs: UA PP 1MM, Marriott Bonvoy LTTE, BA Gold
Didn't see this at YYZ or DEN in the last 5 days.

I'm still in the camp that thinks First Class should be ahead of 1K (and I'm 1K!).
Old Sep 17, 2018, 11:37 am

Originally Posted by Collierkr
I will be lining up in Grp1 as I always do (am 1K), and swim upstream if they in fact call preboarding of 1K.
I have said it before, but they should make Group 1 - only GS and 1K, 2 = Plat and gold, and go from there.
So where would you have them put FC. Group 6?

I actually wonder if it would be smart to board FC last. Have FC passengers remain comfortably seated in the terminal and close and monitor the FC overhead bins. Then FC can walk on, get settled and get a PDB with no interruption due to passengers in the cabin walking to economy.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Sep 17, 2018 at 8:56 pm Reason: merging consecutive posts by same member
Old Sep 17, 2018, 11:44 am

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by Yellowjj
I actually wonder if it would be smart to board FC last. Have FC passengers remain comfortably seated in the terminal and close and monitor the FC overhead bins. Then FC can walk on, get settled and get a PDB with no interruption due to passengers in the cabin walking to economy.
Like the olden days ; )
But now with the fight for bin space I don’t see how it would work
Old Sep 17, 2018, 11:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by Yellowjj
...Then FC can walk on, get settled and get a PDB with no interruption due to passengers in the cabin walking to economy.
Occasionally, I'll order a beer as a PDB. I'd rather not have to chug it in the shortened time between boarding F and pushback.
Old Sep 17, 2018, 12:26 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: IHG Spire, Hilton Honors Gold, Marriott Titanium, Mileage Plus Gold
Just WOW. Out of the big 3, only United punishes their premium cabin passengers. Just got the Amex Platinum card which gives me Delta Lounge Access for myself and all of my authorized users. Maybe its time to start flying Delta in their premium cabin. I've been a United apologist/fanboy on here for a while now but seriously I think I'm done. I'm so "EXCITED" now that I paid for Polaris for my upcoming trip.
Old Sep 17, 2018, 12:26 pm

Originally Posted by 1P
It's unpopular to say it, but once again, the folk who take longest to board and hold everyone else up while they're doing it — people with disabiities and those with small children — should board last, when they can take all the time they need without blocking the jetbridge and aisle(s) of the plane.
I think (well maybe wishful thinking) is that with the plane empty (or more empty) it's "easier" to potentially get into the seat/row (from a physical standpoint)?

Although nothing like flying in/out of MCO where 90% of the plane would meet the above requirements (LOL).
Old Sep 17, 2018, 12:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by 1P
It's unpopular to say it, but once again, the folk who take longest to board and hold everyone else up while they're doing it — people with disabiities and those with small children — should board last, when they can take all the time they need without blocking the jetbridge and aisle(s) of the plane.
Alternatively, how about boarding them ten minutes before scheduled boarding, i.e. actually boarding them in advance rather than 'pre-boarding' right when boarding begins?
Old Sep 17, 2018, 12:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Gold, Global Entry, Hertz PC, and my wallet
As someone said upthread, if they enforced the carry-on for everyone, then this would be a total non-event.
Old Sep 17, 2018, 12:51 pm

Programs: UA 1K, National Executive Elite, Marriott Gold, Hertz President's Circle
Well I'm glad I'm making 1K at the end of November this year for the first time. BG1 is by far my most used and valued perk of Plat.
Old Sep 17, 2018, 12:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Gold, Global Entry, Hertz PC, and my wallet
Originally Posted by DELee
What are the odds that the current UA goes back to the old UA boarding process after all is said and done?

David

p.s. When do the "gate lice" threads restart?
Until such a time as United enforces its own carry-on policy.
Old Sep 17, 2018, 1:04 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA, DL
Originally Posted by BigPoppaCO
So as a 1K, am I now just supposed to loiter around the gate instead of lining up in group 1 in an orderly fashion? Serious question-
Indeed - oddly inconsistent with the video posted upthread. Seems like more standing around for everyone because the groups are less clearly defined. Group 1 is now, as noted, the sixth category of people to board, and the GS/1K group will be pretty large but intermingled with the special privileges people.

AA makes more sense - just go to 9+ groups and face the wrath of telling plats and golds that they're now Group 4 or 5.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.