Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

United's Current Boarding Process (with Wiki) [2016-forward]{Archive}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 19, 2017, 11:05 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Source: United Boarding Process

New changes (effective 18 Sept 2018)

You will see some new boarding lane signs in the gate area that will guide you through the boarding process. There will now be two lanes that are color coded : to begin, Group 1 will board through the blue lane and Group 2 will board through the green lane. The remaining Groups 3-5 will then board through the green lane when called, and Groups 1 and 2 can continue to board through the blue lane .

We encourage you to make yourself comfortable while you wait for your group to be called, and we’ll let you know when we’re ready for you to board. Late arriving customers in Groups 1 and 2 are welcome to continue boarding through the blue lane at any time.

Boarding groups

Pre-boarding

1. Unaccompanied minors
  2. Customers with disabilities
  3. Active members of the military
  4. United Global Services® members
  5. Families traveling with children age 2 and younger
  6. Premier® 1K® members

Group 1

• Premier Platinum members
  • Premier Gold members
  • Star Alliance™ Gold members
  • Customers seated in premium cabins: United Polaris®, United First® and United Business®

Group 2

• Premier Silver members
  • Star Alliance Silver members
  • Customers who have purchased Premier Access® or Priority Boarding
  • United℠ Explorer, Club, Presidential Plus℠ and Awards Cardmembers

Groups 3 – 5

• Economy Plus®
  • United Economy®
  • Basic Economy*

* Customers who have purchased a Basic Economy ticket will be in the last boarding group, except for Premier members, Chase Cardmembers of qualifying cards and Star Alliance Gold members, who will still receive their priority boarding.
Originally Posted by JOSECONLSCREW28
There will also be updated boarding times:

757 & Widebody aircraft: 50 min prior to departure
737-800/900 & 737 MAX 40 min prior to departure
737-700 & A319/A320 35 min prior to departure
================================================== ==============================
Pre Sept 2018 process

Pre-Boarding
  • Unaccompanied minors
  • Customers with disabilities
  • Uniformed members of the U.S. military
  • Families traveling with children age two and younger
  • United Global Services® members
Premier Access Boarding
  • Group 1: Premier 1K, Premier Platinum, Business/Polaris Business, and First/Polaris First.
  • Group 2: Premier Gold, Star Gold, Premier Silver, Star Silver, MileagePlus Presidential Plus, Club, Explorer and Awards, purchased Premier Access

General boarding (Window Seats, then Middle Seats, then Aisle)
  • Group 3 - Window Seats
  • Group 4 - Middle & Aisle Seats (Aisle Seats on UA Express)
  • Group 5 - Basic Economy

Customers who have purchased a Basic Economy ticket will be in the last boarding group, with the exception of Premier members, Chase Cardmembers of qualifying cards and Star Alliance Gold members, who will still receive their priority boarding.

Note: If you’re traveling with a companion and one of you has a higher boarding status, you both may board with the earlier group.

Note: Self Boarding Gates are being tested at the following gates...
  • IAH - Gate C25/C26 - See Post 2960, Includes YouTube video from CO777DAL
  • IAH - Gate E4 - Old test from pmCO days, See Thread Here
  • BOS - Self boarding gates are now back in *LIMITED* use at least at gates B25 and B26

sUA Boarding Times by Aircraft (AFA)

Previous thread: United's Current Boarding Process (with Wiki) [Revised, May 2013]
Print Wikipost

United's Current Boarding Process (with Wiki) [2016-forward]{Archive}

Search this Thread

Old Oct 23, 2017, 12:27 pm

Programs: UAL GS & Million Miler; Delta Lifetime Gold; Hilton Diamond; Marriott Platinum; Legion Etrangere
Originally Posted by bhunt
Seems like preboards are getting worse and worse with fakes. Need a better verification process.

I understand family's with young, Military, Global Services, & disabled elderly. But all of these people in wheelchairs is getting reduculus that are not disabled..

Had a flight yesterday with 8 wheelchairs. Took 20 minutes to do preboards. This what grinds me. 8 on. But at destination only two wheelchairs required cuz I overheard the flight attendant tell the gate agent when they first open the door as I was sitting in the first row.
Have you never heard of "The Miracle of Miami"? Disabled in LGA/EWR/JFK, ambling off in MIA. Well-known phenomenon
Old Oct 23, 2017, 1:39 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by Pat89339
This is an often repeated theme and I will say again, that people with certain mobility disabilities (like me) can function easily in some airports with moving walkways or if there are short distances to the exit. In other airports without those, it can be an impossible task, IAH comes to mind as well as IAD, EWR, ORD and other sprawling domestic airports. Most foreign mega airports fall into the same category. As a result, sometimes I will wheelchair it at one airport and not need it for the arrival airport. Sometimes, I base it on whether I'm having a good day or in a lot of pain. In other words, there is not a one size fits all category.

Disabilities aren't always visible.
True, but Florida flights are a special case. It isn't something attributed to a medical condition or airport design, but the almost unbearable aggressive attitude of NE seniors who head to Florida and back. Many of us have stood and watched a decrepit, hunched over senior who barely looks conscious get wheeled on board during preboarding, only to be literally mowed down and shoved out of the way by that same senior who storms off the flight the moment the door opens on arrival. Even Benny Hinn hasn't seen miracles like these.

I once overheard a GA make a joke (quietly, to a colleague, but I heard it, and yes it was funny then and now) about yelling "Fire!" in the jetway just to demonstrate how fast these folks can really run on their own.
Old Oct 23, 2017, 3:40 pm

Programs: American Gold, Marriott Gold, Hilton Silver
Originally Posted by bocastephen
True, but Florida flights are a special case. It isn't something attributed to a medical condition or airport design, but the almost unbearable aggressive attitude of NE seniors who head to Florida and back. Many of us have stood and watched a decrepit, hunched over senior who barely looks conscious get wheeled on board during preboarding, only to be literally mowed down and shoved out of the way by that same senior who storms off the flight the moment the door opens on arrival. Even Benny Hinn hasn't seen miracles like these.

I once overheard a GA make a joke (quietly, to a colleague, but I heard it, and yes it was funny then and now) about yelling "Fire!" in the jetway just to demonstrate how fast these folks can really run on their own.
Definitely. These people also congregate in the aisles making it difficult for others to use the lavs. The poor FAs will make announcements, and they'll flat out ignore them I wish I were exaggerating. I can't remember a single northeast to/from Florida or Caribbean flight where there weren't any misbehaving senior citizens. This occurs on all airlines!
Old Oct 24, 2017, 11:30 am

Programs: UA 1MM Premier 1K, Hilton Gold, Marriott Titanium/ LT
Originally Posted by Pat89339
This is an often repeated theme and I will say again, that people with certain mobility disabilities (like me) can function easily in some airports with moving walkways or if there are short distances to the exit. In other airports without those, it can be an impossible task, IAH comes to mind as well as IAD, EWR, ORD and other sprawling domestic airports. Most foreign mega airports fall into the same category. As a result, sometimes I will wheelchair it at one airport and not need it for the arrival airport. Sometimes, I base it on whether I'm having a good day or in a lot of pain. In other words, there is not a one size fits all category.

Disabilities aren't always visible.
Amen - we have just gotten to that point with my husband, and use transport service at FRA, for example, but not ORD. Using the pre-board option depends on what sort of a day he is having. He doesn't require wheelchair for that, but he cannot stand for long, so being able to get to his seat without standing in a line can be critical. That's another legit reason why you may see people use pre-board without needing to be met by a wheelchair upon deplaning.

But I agree, there is tremendous (and often hilarious) abuse of pre-boarding on flights to Florida and other snowbird destinations.
Old Nov 11, 2017, 7:12 pm

Did OLCI for an aisle seat and was assigned Group 3. My friend on the same PNR checked in a few hours later (needed to scan their passport) for a window seat and was assigned Group 4. So weird. Glitch?
Old Nov 16, 2017, 5:01 am
Aman 5+ BadgeFour Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: UA1K, *G & Wife of UA1K MM
Test boarding procedure and survey

Mr. Ericka flew HNL-SFO yesterday. There was a team there trying out a new boarding procedure. Two lanes: one for current boarding group, one for bypass. They called the pre-boards, then GS, then 1k, platinum, etc. Then they switched to numbered groups. When boarding was done, the team came onboard with surveys and handed out Starbucks gift cards for participation. Mr. Ericka said he was happy with the process.
Old Nov 16, 2017, 7:50 am

Programs: AA Gold (1mm) , Hilton Diamond, Aer Lingus Newbie
Boarding the 40 or so people for the replacement flight EDI-EWR on 11/14 after flight 39 was cancelled on 11/13:-
  • Disabled, 10 sec pause (no-one)
  • Uniformed, 10 sec pause (no-one)
  • GS, 10 sec pause (no-one)
  • Families w/kids < 3, 10 sec pause (no-one)
  • Groups as per usual

I got selected for SSSS , which was handled efficiently and courteously and wandered down the jet bridge to find - a bus!

Bus fills up with all 40 passengers and heads 200 yards across the tarmac to the aircraft. All bus doors open at once and the last shall be first :-)

No outrage from anyone, we were all onboard in 5 mins and everyone got a row to themselves on the 757. Just kind of weird how they did the boarding though, I guess the proprieties must be observed.

As an aside , we went out with 7 or 8 business class seats empty - I asked at Premier check in if they were upgrading lowly Golds as an apology for the 27 hour delay but was told no.
Old Nov 16, 2017, 7:54 am

Programs: Honors LT Diamond; United 1K; Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Ericka
Mr. Ericka flew HNL-SFO yesterday. There was a team there trying out a new boarding procedure. Two lanes: one for current boarding group, one for bypass. They called the pre-boards, then GS, then 1k, platinum, etc. Then they switched to numbered groups. When boarding was done, the team came onboard with surveys and handed out Starbucks gift cards for participation. Mr. Ericka said he was happy with the process.
It seems like this is a variation on the process that's been in place in CLE for the past 3-4 weeks (preboard -> GS -> Families/Military -> Group 1 but with the "Main" and "Bypass" lanes) and having been through it 3 times now words appropriate for Flytertalk cannot express how dissatisfied I am with both the process and the tone of the signage. (E.g. "Please remain comfortably seated..." first of all "airport seating" and "comfortable" are oxymoronic, ad secondly I'm going to be sitting for hours, I want to stand. And I'd prefer somewhere to stand that isn't just a mindless blob of everyone else who wants to stand).

I think the process could be improved (perhaps having a rotating 3 line "next to board/currently boarding/already boarded" arrangement but this two lane nonsense is the only thing that's ever made me crave the 5 lane configuration.

(Sorry, uncaffeinated and ranty this morning)
Old Nov 16, 2017, 3:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Originally Posted by lincolnjkc
It seems like this is a variation on the process that's been in place in CLE for the past 3-4 weeks (preboard -> GS -> Families/Military -> Group 1 but with the "Main" and "Bypass" lanes) and having been through it 3 times now words appropriate for Flytertalk cannot express how dissatisfied I am with both the process and the tone of the signage. (E.g. "Please remain comfortably seated..." first of all "airport seating" and "comfortable" are oxymoronic, ad secondly I'm going to be sitting for hours, I want to stand. And I'd prefer somewhere to stand that isn't just a mindless blob of everyone else who wants to stand).

I think the process could be improved (perhaps having a rotating 3 line "next to board/currently boarding/already boarded" arrangement but this two lane nonsense is the only thing that's ever made me crave the 5 lane configuration.

(Sorry, uncaffeinated and ranty this morning)
Hmmm. Your suggestion sounds a bit like WN's process.

David
Old Nov 16, 2017, 6:25 pm

Programs: Honors LT Diamond; United 1K; Hertz PC
Originally Posted by DELee

David
There are many things I'm not crazy about with WN, but the boarding process is not on that list. I think it could work just as well without breaking down into sequence numbers. Some relatively cheap digital signage displays with an Intel NUC or similar to drive it and it wouldn't be terrible.

Lane A - Preboards, GS, Miitary then "Bypass"
Lane B - Group 1 then Group 3 then Group 5
Lane C - Group 2 then Group 4

Incidentally on an E175 tonight there were 35 people on the UG list -- meaning more than half the plane (only one UG cleared so add 11 F pax = 46 of 76) -- got "priority boarding"
Old Nov 16, 2017, 6:33 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: IHG Spire, Hilton Honors Gold, Marriott Titanium, Mileage Plus Gold
Originally Posted by DELee

David
WN does not reward families by letting them board first. They board AFTER Group A has boarded but before Group B.
Old Nov 16, 2017, 6:55 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott Ti/LTP
Sounds like the AA layout. I hate the AA layout. I much prefer the lines because I don't have to wade through a 10 deep crowd at the entrance of the lanes.
Old Nov 16, 2017, 11:26 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by lincolnjkc
this two lane nonsense is the only thing that's ever made me crave the 5 lane configuration.
Originally Posted by GoSh4rks
Sounds like the AA layout. I hate the AA layout. I much prefer the lines because I don't have to wade through a 10 deep crowd at the entrance of the lanes.
For all the complaining (including mine), I've come to believe UA's current system is the best approach. Now if they'd just tinker with the groups a bit to reduce 1 & 2 . . . .
Old Nov 17, 2017, 2:54 am

Programs: AA Gold, AS MVP, WN A-List, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Exp, Hertz PC
First time flying United w/o status. If I’m in group 4 and my companion is in group 3 do you board with group 3?

Always took her to board with me in group 2 without problem. Is this the same for non-priority groups?
Old Nov 17, 2017, 6:45 am
Used to be MBS PremExec

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM, Marriott Titanium w/Lifetime Plat, Hilton LIfetime ♢, National Exec, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by jacobguo
First time flying United w/o status. If I’m in group 4 and my companion is in group 3 do you board with group 3?

Always took her to board with me in group 2 without problem. Is this the same for non-priority groups?
Yes. You can always board with the lowest number (earliest group) in your party, priority or not. It's part of some agents' announcements, but I haven't heard it in a while.
jacobguo likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.