Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

United's Current Boarding Process (with Wiki) [2016-forward]{Archive}

Old Jan 19, 2017, 11:05 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Source: United Boarding Process

New changes (effective 18 Sept 2018)

You will see some new boarding lane signs in the gate area that will guide you through the boarding process. There will now be two lanes that are color coded : to begin, Group 1 will board through the blue lane and Group 2 will board through the green lane. The remaining Groups 3-5 will then board through the green lane when called, and Groups 1 and 2 can continue to board through the blue lane .

We encourage you to make yourself comfortable while you wait for your group to be called, and well let you know when were ready for you to board. Late arriving customers in Groups 1 and 2 are welcome to continue boarding through the blue lane at any time.

Boarding groups

Pre-boarding

1. Unaccompanied minors
  2. Customers with disabilities
  3. Active members of the military
  4. United Global Services members
  5. Families traveling with children age 2 and younger
  6. Premier 1K members

Group 1

• Premier Platinum members
  • Premier Gold members
  • Star Alliance Gold members
  • Customers seated in premium cabins: United Polaris, United First and United Business

Group 2

• Premier Silver members
  • Star Alliance Silver members
  • Customers who have purchased Premier Access or Priority Boarding
  • United℠ Explorer, Club, Presidential Plus℠ and Awards Cardmembers

Groups 3 5

• Economy Plus
  • United Economy
  • Basic Economy*

* Customers who have purchased a Basic Economy ticket will be in the last boarding group, except for Premier members, Chase Cardmembers of qualifying cards and Star Alliance Gold members, who will still receive their priority boarding.
Originally Posted by JOSECONLSCREW28
There will also be updated boarding times:

757 & Widebody aircraft: 50 min prior to departure
737-800/900 & 737 MAX 40 min prior to departure
737-700 & A319/A320 35 min prior to departure
================================================== ==============================
Pre Sept 2018 process

Pre-Boarding
  • Unaccompanied minors
  • Customers with disabilities
  • Uniformed members of the U.S. military
  • Families traveling with children age two and younger
  • United Global Services members
Premier Access Boarding
  • Group 1: Premier 1K, Premier Platinum, Business/Polaris Business, and First/Polaris First.
  • Group 2: Premier Gold, Star Gold, Premier Silver, Star Silver, MileagePlus Presidential Plus, Club, Explorer and Awards, purchased Premier Access

General boarding (Window Seats, then Middle Seats, then Aisle)
  • Group 3 - Window Seats
  • Group 4 - Middle & Aisle Seats (Aisle Seats on UA Express)
  • Group 5 - Basic Economy

Customers who have purchased a Basic Economy ticket will be in the last boarding group, with the exception of Premier members, Chase Cardmembers of qualifying cards and Star Alliance Gold members, who will still receive their priority boarding.

Note: If youre traveling with a companion and one of you has a higher boarding status, you both may board with the earlier group.

Note: Self Boarding Gates are being tested at the following gates...
  • IAH - Gate C25/C26 - See Post 2960, Includes YouTube video from CO777DAL
  • IAH - Gate E4 - Old test from pmCO days, See Thread Here
  • BOS - Self boarding gates are now back in *LIMITED* use at least at gates B25 and B26

sUA Boarding Times by Aircraft (AFA)

Previous thread: United's Current Boarding Process (with Wiki) [Revised, May 2013]
Print Wikipost

United's Current Boarding Process (with Wiki) [2016-forward]{Archive}

Old Sep 19, 2018, 6:39 pm

Programs: UA MileagePlus 2MM
Originally Posted by BlueHenFlyer

Uh, yes.

First off, United has very little full F to anywhere but Asia. Secondly, most people who pay for F or P (now) are remarkably airline agnostic - they tend to need to get from A to B and are willing to pay for the fastest route between them.

I would opine that non-status flyers in full-fare F (on United) are about as rare as upgrades from Europe on a Friday.
As a matter of fact, UA does not sell First Class to any international destinations.

Many passengers pay unrestricted Polaris fares to everywhere it is offered. LHR, AMS, FRA, ZRH, GVA, TLV, BRU, MUC, etc etc. I am one of them.

UA is very happy with non status passengers who fly a few times in J/C/D, because they are not the kettles who pay TODs.

Adam
Old Sep 19, 2018, 6:44 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH
When I quit flying like I do, I'll sink to Gold courtesy of MM. I won't be wondering why I'm not being treated like the 1K I was for 10 years (or whatever it ends up being) - I'll expect to be treated like a Gold (and as UA decides how they'll treat Golds).
And from the Million Mile perspective (I'm one too), the nice thing about this change is that Golds are now Group 1, not relegated to Group 2 with credit card holders.
Old Sep 19, 2018, 6:58 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, Marriott/SPGold
As a fellow 1K, I am happy to have a pre-board, but I think there are more of us than we think. Wondering if there will now be 20-30 pre-boards all trying to get on first for their overhead, especially in the HUBs? Not sure, but flying this Sunday. Probably won't really know how well it works until I travel on a Monday morning or Thurs. afternoon....LOL!! Safe travels everyone!
Old Sep 19, 2018, 7:09 pm

Programs: TK*G
Originally Posted by Kacee
And from the Million Mile perspective (I'm one too), the nice thing about this change is that Golds are now Group 1, not relegated to Group 2 with credit card holders.
This is great news for non-UA *G too. I mostly fly UA now only as a connection to other *A airlines TPAC/TATL and this brings *G benefits more in-line with the rest of the alliance.
Old Sep 19, 2018, 7:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by Kacee
And from the Million Mile perspective (I'm one too), the nice thing about this change is that Golds are now Group 1...
Yup - Golds are Group 1 now. I'm certainly not going to discount UA changing the groups again before the time I sink to Gold (to my detriment). It is what it is, and what it will be...
Old Sep 19, 2018, 7:21 pm

Programs: UA 1KMM
Originally Posted by tbuccelli
That is what is happening. Group one will be Plats, Gold, and "premium cabin" members.
At least I predicted half of it. Yay for me, and to when I retire to my *G level.

I didn't forsee that premium pax would have to wait behind 1K. As a 1K, I am offended *for them*. (but not offended enough to smugly walk by them) I hereby predict that premium pax will join the ranks of the 1K in boarding order in under a year.
Old Sep 19, 2018, 7:34 pm

Programs: United 1MM GS, Marriott Platinum Elite, Hilton Diamond, Hertz President's Circle
I was a little apprehensive about the new boarding procedure so I totally liced the gate on my SFO-SEA flight today. Ordinarily I would stand discreetly off to the side but today I waited pretty close to the scanner. A little line formed behind me before preboarding. The GA did a good job pausing between preboard groups and I ended up being the only GS to preboard.

While checking in I had a short conversation with the GS agent in the SFO GS reception. I told her I was a little worried about the new boarding procedure and she said to come directly back to her if anything didnt work and she would escalate it up since GS need be taken care of 🙂
Old Sep 19, 2018, 8:03 pm

Originally Posted by AirbusFan2B

Yes, there is. The 1K pax has already provided UA $12,000-49,000 in revenue in 1 calendar year AND flown around the globe 4 times. And you have not or you would be 1K. Simple as that!
If the GS or 1K is sitting up front because of some kind of upgrade instrument or miles and UA believes it's worth it then as we know they are devaluing the FC cabin 100% as it it fills with freebies and their revenue sinks. However, I still maintain from personal observations many GS head for coach. It's hard to tell 1K's but my impression is that UA still sells a good many revenue FC seats. With the premise that they will fill FC up with freebies then it's no wonder the service has gone downhill. You get what you pay for. Yes I know we have all "earned" that free seat - but have we really.

As a buyer of FC I much prefer the airlines that delay upgrading freebies. I can nearly always get a DL seat up front at short notice for example.

At the end of the day FF programs and loyalty have changed so much in the past few years in my opinion being a free agent is really the way to go
Old Sep 19, 2018, 8:38 pm

Originally Posted by HNLbasedFlyer
I agree - it is fairly simple math. If you had to choose - who do you want to make happier? The 1K who spent at least $12,000 and 100,000+ miles in a calendar year, or the less than 1K who hasn't shown the same commitment - but just happens to be first class.

UA has strong reasons to want 1K's happier. Here is the data. Another thread widely says there are probably about 100,000 1K's - if that is the case, that means $1,200,000,000+ reasons to keep that group happy - and that is based only on minium PQD
But isn't there a stat that also says this group is really a small % of pax? I thought I read that well over 80% of pax in a given day fly 1x per year? I could be off a little but not much. Maybe it's 85%
Old Sep 19, 2018, 8:45 pm

Programs: UA GS4MM, MR LT Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by sdix
But isn't there a stat that also says this group is really a small % of pax? I thought I read that well over 80% of pax in a given day fly 1x per year? I could be off a little but not much. Maybe it's 85%
I don't know - if it is such a small %, then it shouldn't be a big deal to let them pre-board.

On the other hand, others say in this thread they see 50+ 1K on a flight - which if true, that is a lot of passengers driving a lot of revenue for UA - and in that case they should get to pre-board.
Old Sep 19, 2018, 8:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
[Original quote and reply to that quote deleted by Moderator to conform to Moderator edit of quote.]

Pax putting smaller bags in the overhead bin takes away valuable space from other pax - this is definitely an issue across the board (not just UA). It's been so bad, on more than one occasion, I have witnessed first hand (as a pax in the bulkhead row), FA just turn the blind eye when 5 of 6 pax have their bags in the in front of them.

Last edited by Ocn Vw 1K; Sep 19, 2018 at 9:41 pm Reason: See note above.
Old Sep 19, 2018, 9:00 pm
Original Member, Ambassador: External Miles and Points Resources

Location: Digital Nomad Wandering the Earth - Currently in PALMYRA, PA, USA
Originally Posted by iluv2fly
I spoke with the GS manager at ORD on Tuesday and mentioned the concerns that are posted here. He agreed that it will come down to training whereby the agents are supposed to pause between the groups instead of bunching them all together (which we all have witnessed). I asked him to go to some gates and witness what happens and he agreed to do so. (I'll get a report next week when I see him.)

He also said that he has daily meetings with the supervisors who are in charge of various gate sections of the terminal (e.g. C-20-32) and will alert them to the issues and ensure the agents do what they are supposed to.

I will call GS customer service each and every time that the procedure is not followed. They "gots to know" and do something about it. The more complaints, the more they will act.
Good for you.

Unfortunately I am sitting on 2 UA paid first class tickets. One a mid-con ($1200) and one a hub-to-hub trans-con ($1900).

I will tweet UA customer (lack of) service both times explaining to them how they are mistreating paid first pax.

Originally Posted by sdix
As a buyer of FC I much prefer the airlines that delay upgrading freebies. I can nearly always get a DL seat up front at short notice for example.
As a buyer of FC, I don't even bother to look at UA if I want to buy a first class ticket within 3 days....the cabin is already full of mileage pax and 1k/GS upgraders...DL is the easiest in these situations and AA better than UA but not great.
Old Sep 19, 2018, 9:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by kokonutz
...I will tweet UA customer (lack of) service both times explaining to them how they are mistreating paid first pax..
A few 1Ks who arent in First will board ahead of you and head back to economy. I cant believe this horrible treatment you must be suffering.

i just have a hard time seeing how someone boarding ahead of someone else constitutes mistreatment

Dr. Dao was mistreated, and it wasnt just a bruised ego.

Last edited by IAH-OIL-TRASH; Sep 19, 2018 at 9:27 pm
Old Sep 19, 2018, 9:38 pm
Original Member, Ambassador: External Miles and Points Resources

Location: Digital Nomad Wandering the Earth - Currently in PALMYRA, PA, USA
Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH

A few 1Ks who aren’t in First will board ahead of you and head back to economy. I can’t believe this horrible treatment you must be suffering.

i just have a hard time seeing how someone boarding ahead of someone else constitutes “mistreatment”

Dr. Dao was mistreated, and it wasn’t just a bruised ego.
How many times do the 100 UA and * Golds licing ahead of premium cabin pax have to be pointed out to you.

It's tiresome. Kind of like flying UA.

BTW, why aren't you chiding iluv2fly for the mistreatment he will complain about when a few 1k who are not GS step in front of him in line? Don't you have a hard time seeing how someone boarding ahead of someone else constitutes “mistreatment”

After all, Dr. Dao was mistreated, and it wasn’t just a bruised ego.

Old Sep 19, 2018, 9:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by kokonutz
How many times do the 100 UA and * Golds licing ahead of premium cabin pax have to be pointed out to you.

It's tiresome. Kind of like flying UA.

BTW, why aren't you chiding iluv2fly for the mistreatment he will complain about when a few 1k who are not GS step in front of him in line? Don't you have a hard time seeing how someone boarding ahead of someone else constitutes mistreatment:
Iluv2fly has issue w person boarding out of synch w/ Uniteds defined structure. Youre complaining about the structure itself. Different things. Iluvtofly might have been a GS heading back to coach but you have no problem with that? Arent GS customers boarding ahead of you and heading to coach an affront to you somehow? Even if they were going to a F seat, Uniteds treating him better than you, who also paid F. Isnt that horrible mistreatment being inflicted on you and worth a tweet also?

United just treats higher-tier elites who have proven current and continuing value a little better. I guess you view that personally as mistreatment.

Someone being treated a little better does not necessarily mean someone is being mistreated.

I actually board at the back of BG1 and will continue to do so even w/ the change. I let all the mistreated/anxious people go first because it makes them happy 🙂 Not really - I board last in BG1 or dead last if all I have is a backpack in order to minimize time seated in a plane thats not moving.

Last edited by IAH-OIL-TRASH; Sep 19, 2018 at 10:37 pm

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.