Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA Award tkt change/cancellation/redeposit/fees Q&As: No fees pre-travel

Old Jan 19, 2017, 10:35 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Award ticketing options/service fees
There are no longer any fees for worldwide UA award cancellation or mileage redeposit done pre-travel including UA partner awards

8 Nov 2022
As part of the 2023 MileagePlus program updates award redeposit fees are being removed for all levels beginning 1 Jan 2023
**This does not apply to redepositing after a no-show**

Originally Posted by United award ticket redeposit fee removal
All redeposit fees associated with canceling award travel have been removed, so you have more choice and control over managing plans. United is committed to meeting customer expectations by providing more flexibility throughout the travel experience.
https://www.united.com/en/us/fly/mil...whats-new.html

https://www.united.com/ual/en/us/fly...icketing.html

Archive: UA Award tkt change/cancellation/redeposit/fees Q&As: No fees pre-travel
Print Wikipost

UA Award tkt change/cancellation/redeposit/fees Q&As: No fees pre-travel

Old Jan 4, 2023, 12:58 pm
Original Poster

Is a fee still being charged for award ticket changes of tickets not originating in the US less than 31 days from the original travel date?
Or cancellations/refunds less than 31 days from the original travel date?
I thought they were getting rid of these fees, but here is what I see in the fare rules if I try to book an award ticket in March originating in CUN:

City pair Fare class Fare basis code
CUN-WAS YN YSM/XC33VO

Changes:

Fee if the date of the change is less than 31 days from the original travel date and travel does not originate in the U.S.:
  • General member: $125
  • Premier Silver: $100
  • Premier Gold: $75
  • Premier Platinum: $50
  • Premier 1K: $0
Cancellations/refunds:

Fee if the date of the re-credit request is less than 31 days from the original travel date
  • General member: $125
  • Premier Silver: $100
  • Premier Gold: $75
  • Premier Platinum: $50
  • Premier 1K: $0
Old Jan 4, 2023, 1:05 pm

Originally Posted by dannysporea
Is a fee still being charged for award ticket changes of tickets not originating in the US less than 31 days from the original travel date?
Or cancellations/refunds less than 31 days from the original travel date?
I thought they were getting rid of these fees, but here is what I see in the fare rules if I try to book an award ticket in March originating in CUN:
They're gone (https://www.united.com/ual/en/us/fly...ticketing.html).

If you search the opposite direction originating in the US (EWR-CUN), it still shows the close in cancel/change fees in the fare rules too. IIRC even most of the "no change fees" fare rules still had the original penalty written in the fare rules with an emergency override text of all penalty fare rules. Given that the fare basis (YSM)/designator(XC33VO) the website is generating those fare rules from isn't even consistent with what is imprinted for the basis/designator on an award ticket anymore, I'd say it isn't pulling the most current information in.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Jan 5, 2023, 2:04 pm

Award flight booking help

I am looking at a flight from PPT to EWR with a stop in SFO. The date i want has IN space available for 70k miles for the PPT to SFO route. However, when I search for PPT to EWR it shows rate of 175k miles which I am assuming is because no IN space exists on SFO to EWR. I am okay booking PPT to SFO in J, and continue next leg in Y. Is there anyway to search for this mixed cabin itinerary so that it prices at 70k?
Old Jan 5, 2023, 2:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Dpetryszyn
I am looking at a flight from PPT to EWR with a stop in SFO. The date i want has IN space available for 70k miles for the PPT to SFO route. However, when I search for PPT to EWR it shows rate of 175k miles which I am assuming is because no IN space exists on SFO to EWR. I am okay booking PPT to SFO in J, and continue next leg in Y. Is there anyway to search for this mixed cabin itinerary so that it prices at 70k?
No. However, if you do a multi-city search, PPT/EWR/SFO, it will charge you 70K + whatever the rate is for EWR-SFO (maybe 12.5K for saver Y... maybe something higher, especially if no saver Y exists).
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Jan 5, 2023, 2:12 pm

Thanks. If I book in XN instead and try calling to wait list the award, would the PPT to SFO leg be auto upgrades since IN is available and I am platinum?
Old Jan 5, 2023, 2:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Thanks. If I book in XN instead and try calling to wait list the award, would the PPT to SFO leg be auto upgrades since IN is available and I am platinum?
If XN is available on the whole award, and if you can find an agent who knows how to set up your waitlist, and if you don't mind taking the risk that the IN space will disappear before the upgrade clears, then, yes, I would give that a try.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Jan 5, 2023, 5:45 pm

Originally Posted by jsloan
If XN is available on the whole award, and if you can find an agent who knows how to set up your waitlist, and if you don't mind taking the risk that the IN space will disappear before the upgrade clears, then, yes, I would give that a try.
As long as the IN space is available at the time you're requesting it will immediately confirm because SHARES does not allow waitlisting a segment (status codes PA-PD) when that booking code has enough available space. If an agent were to try using the waitlist segment status codes it will automatically HK the segment as soon as the record is ended. Of course, the bigger challenge you have is getting an agent who is able to actually manually process the request to convert it to a business saver request for the entire line of flight.
jsloan, SPN Lifer and Happy like this.
Old Jan 5, 2023, 6:35 pm

Originally Posted by Lux Flyer
As long as the IN space is available at the time you're requesting it will immediately confirm because SHARES does not allow waitlisting a segment (status codes PA-PD) when that booking code has enough available space. If an agent were to try using the waitlist segment status codes it will automatically HK the segment as soon as the record is ended. Of course, the bigger challenge you have is getting an agent who is able to actually manually process the request to convert it to a business saver request for the entire line of flight.
Thanks for the info. Any tips on how to tell if the agent has any clue what I am talking about? 0 for 2 so far
Old Jan 5, 2023, 6:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Thanks for the info. Any tips on how to tell if the agent has any clue what I am talking about? 0 for 2 so far
If you have already booked the XN award, call and request to "waitlist for a business class award" or "waitlist for IN." Don't mention "upgrade." Other than that, it's pretty much just a crapshoot. On the relevant thread, it's fairly common for people to report needing to HUCA several times before finding an agent who understood the process and was willing to do it. It doesn't seem to be something that's been included in the training recently.
SPN Lifer and Happy like this.
Old Jan 5, 2023, 7:22 pm

I appreciate all the replies and tips. I have one more question. If Mrs Dpetryszyn, who isn't platinum or above, booked our flights in XN using her miles and then I called in to waitlist would the request be waitlisted for IN space or I?
Old Jan 5, 2023, 7:45 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
I appreciate all the replies and tips. I have one more question. If Mrs Dpetryszyn, who isn't platinum or above, booked our flights in XN using her miles and then I called in to waitlist would the request be waitlisted for IN space or I?
The source of the miles, not the travelers status determines this. If booked from a non=PLAT or higher account, there will be no access to IN. And you can not use miles from two different accounts for an award.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Jan 5, 2023, 9:26 pm

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
The source of the miles, not the travelers status determines this. If booked from a non=PLAT or higher account, there will be no access to IN. And you can not use miles from two different accounts for an award.
sorry but i am a bit confused still. If the original economy ticket is booked into XN using a gold status accounts miles (passenger 1) but when I call I use miles from a Platinum account to waitlist (passenger 2), will I or IN space need to be available for waitlist to clear?

Or are you saying once passenger 1 books the XN flight only miles from their account can be used to waitlist even though passenger 2 is on same reservation.​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​
Old Jan 6, 2023, 12:29 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
sorry but i am a bit confused still. If the original economy ticket is booked into XN using a gold status accounts miles (passenger 1) but when I call I use miles from a Platinum account to waitlist (passenger 2), will I or IN space need to be available for waitlist to clear?

Or are you saying once passenger 1 books the XN flight only miles from their account can be used to waitlist even though passenger 2 is on same reservation.​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​
Passenger on the same PNR can only use miles from account and if they want to waitlist for a business award, the those miles can only come from the original account. If the orignal account was not plat or higher, then no one of that PNR can waitlist for IN --- but can for I. Gold status is not eligible for IN.

If on separate PNR then separate sources of miles can be used, but again a given ticket can only us miles from 1 account.

A ticket purchased with miles from a Gold account can not be used to then waitlist for IN with miles coming from a separate Plat account.
Old Jan 9, 2023, 1:50 pm

When I cancelled UA awarded tickets, I also see it as future credits. I called the agent to get all the miles and fees back.
Old Jan 9, 2023, 2:35 pm

Programs: UA Plat MM, AA Gold MM, Marriott LTT, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by xots
When I cancelled UA awarded tickets, I also see it as future credits. I called the agent to get all the miles and fees back.
How is a canceled award ticket showing up as future credit? How can that credit be used in booking future award travel? In the past, when I canceled award tickets, miles were redeposited and fees were refunded automatically.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.