Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA Award tkt change/cancellation/redeposit/fees Q&As: No fees pre-travel

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 19, 2017, 10:35 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Award ticketing options/service fees
There are no longer any fees for worldwide UA award cancellation or mileage redeposit done pre-travel including UA partner awards

8 Nov 2022
As part of the 2023 MileagePlus program updates award redeposit fees are being removed for all levels beginning 1 Jan 2023
**This does not apply to redepositing after a no-show**

Originally Posted by United award ticket redeposit fee removal
All redeposit fees associated with canceling award travel have been removed, so you have more choice and control over managing plans. United is committed to meeting customer expectations by providing more flexibility throughout the travel experience.
https://www.united.com/en/us/fly/mil...whats-new.html

https://www.united.com/ual/en/us/fly...icketing.html

Archive: UA Award tkt change/cancellation/redeposit/fees Q&As: No fees pre-travel
Print Wikipost

UA Award tkt change/cancellation/redeposit/fees Q&As: No fees pre-travel

Search this Thread

Old Jan 9, 2023, 3:28 pm

I thought the same. But last month after I canceled two rewarded tickets, the miles didn't get redeposited. It showed up as a future credit and I had to call the agent to refund it to me.
The two rewarded tickets were changed several times before I canceled though.
Old Jan 9, 2023, 3:46 pm

Is it common for United to show phantom space on their own metal? EWR to SFO flight is showing IN space but erroring out when I am trying to book. Called agent and she sees it too but then transferred to supervisor and they said space isn't available on the 8:15am flight even though it's showing as available but she did mention the 6:15am is available.
Old Jan 12, 2023, 6:46 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Delta Plat, Marriott Plat,Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Plat
Award travel redeposit fees

I thought I’d read that there is a fee to redeposit for travel from Europe, Asia etc to US, no? On United metal.
Old Jan 12, 2023, 8:17 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by Jonesdds
I thought I’d read that there is a fee to redeposit for travel from Europe, Asia etc to US, no? On United metal.
UA has recently updated the award fee chart to remove cancellation / redeposit fees worldwide

Prior to that, while ex-USA had not fees, UA could have changed a fee for other award tickets but had issued a waiver on these fees. So there have not been fees for some time in reality.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Jan 12, 2023 at 8:28 pm Reason: link
Old Jan 15, 2023, 9:55 am

Are mileage tickets refundable? Can I use my mileage to buy a ticket for my wife?

My wife Might want to travel 3 months from now. I think mileage tickets are refundable, so that would be my preference.
My wife doesn't have enough, but I do. Can I book a ticket for her with my miles?
Thanks for your help. The info on United.com is so confusing...
Old Jan 15, 2023, 9:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by flyingtoller
My wife Might want to travel 3 months from now. I think mileage tickets are refundable, so that would be my preference.
My wife doesn't have enough, but I do. Can I book a ticket for her with my miles?
Thanks for your help. The info on United.com is so confusing...
Yes on both counts. If she chooses not to fly, you need to cancel the ticket prior to departure to avoid a $125 no-show fee.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Jan 15, 2023, 11:00 am

Programs: 12 year UAL GS, LT Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Marriot Titanium, AA Plat Pro
I book flights via my mileage plus account on frequent basis for my wife and my daughters. Just make sure to set up her profile as the passenger instead of you as the default which I have screwed up a time or two when I was in a hurry or not concentrating.
jsloan likes this.
Old Jan 18, 2023, 2:07 pm

Programs: Delta PM 1MM™, Alaska MVPG75K, Marriott LTTE, United SE, Hertz PC, National EE
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Yes*

* Up until the flight closes but I would give it a couple of hours before departure.
And just to confirm: Partner awards can be canceled online for international departures as well? Trying to determine if I will need to call UA while abroad at the airport.
Old Jan 18, 2023, 2:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by davakkar
And just to confirm: Partner awards can be canceled online for international departures as well? Trying to determine if I will need to call UA while abroad at the airport.
In theory, yes, but be prepared to call, as the online tool occasionally fails.
SPN Lifer and davakkar like this.
Old Jan 19, 2023, 11:52 am

Programs: Gov't Travel Aficionado, UA Plat
Not sure if this is new to the community, but the removal of award fees opens up a loophole that was really only available to 1Ks/GS.
You know how UA raised the cost of *A award bookings and changed their close in booking fee from $ to essentially a mileage surcharge? Well the way I’ve found to avoid both of those is to book a multi-city itinerary. The first flight will price out as you’d expect with extra cost, but the second flight will be old award chart pricing. Book the itinerary then cancel the first flight. Easy peasy.
It used to be this maneuver would cost a change/cancel fee for platinum and below, but I guess not anymore.
Old Jan 19, 2023, 12:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by therossinator
Not sure if this is new to the community, but the removal of award fees opens up a loophole that was really only available to 1Ks/GS.
You know how UA raised the cost of *A award bookings and changed their close in booking fee from $ to essentially a mileage surcharge? Well the way I’ve found to avoid both of those is to book a multi-city itinerary. The first flight will price out as you’d expect with extra cost, but the second flight will be old award chart pricing. Book the itinerary then cancel the first flight. Easy peasy.
It used to be this maneuver would cost a change/cancel fee for platinum and below, but I guess not anymore.
UA should be recalculating the price, but I guess I’m not shocked if they’re not. However, if the second leg is a partner leg — which it sounds like it is in this situation — it’s possible that the change will error out if there’s not additional inventory on the target flight.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Jan 25, 2023, 10:27 pm

Programs: Gov't Travel Aficionado, UA Plat
Originally Posted by jsloan
UA should be recalculating the price, but I guess I’m not shocked if they’re not. However, if the second leg is a partner leg — which it sounds like it is in this situation — it’s possible that the change will error out if there’s not additional inventory on the target flight.
That has not been the case in the times that I’ve done this (I've only ever done this with ANA, EVA, Thai, and Asiana, but so far it’s been 100% success rate). Again, there is no barrier to testing this out now so if you’re skeptical, I’d encourage you to try it for yourself. The worst that could happen is you cancel the entire itinerary and get all your miles back, best case, you save 10%+ on your next *A award.
Old Feb 2, 2023, 12:19 am

Programs: United Platinum, AA Plat Pro, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Plat Elite
Might be a simple question, but does anyone know if you can cancel a booking containing a confirmed MileagePlus J upgrade? Hoping to get my miles/co-pay refunded as well as the original fare back as United credit. I saw some conflicting reports while searching so I'm not sure.
Old Feb 2, 2023, 12:26 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by iceiceui2
Might be a simple question, but does anyone know if you can cancel a booking containing a confirmed MileagePlus J upgrade? Hoping to get my miles/co-pay refunded as well as the original fare back as United credit. I saw some conflicting reports while searching so I'm not sure.
Cancel the entire booking, yes and the upgrade miles and fees will be refunded.
Canceling just the upgrade, that gets trickier and in some corner cases can not be done (or only done at the airport).
Old Feb 2, 2023, 12:33 am

Programs: United Platinum, AA Plat Pro, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Plat Elite
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Cancel the entire booking, yes and the upgrade miles and fees will be refunded.
Canceling just the upgrade, that gets trickier and in some corner cases can not be done (or only done at the airport).
Oh gotcha, thanks for the tip. Could I cancel the booking online or do I have to call in for them to trigger the miles re-deposit?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.