Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA Award tkt change/cancellation/redeposit/fees Q&As {Archive}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 9, 2024, 1:46 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Archive thread, active thread UA Award tkt change/cancellation/redeposit/fees Q&As: No fees pre-travel

Award ticketing options/service fees
There are no longer any fees for worldwide UA award cancellation or mileage redeposit done pre-travel including UA partner awards

8 Nov 2022
As part of the 2023 MileagePlus program updates award redeposit fees are being removed for all levels beginning 1 Jan 2023
**This does not apply to redepositing after a no-show**

Originally Posted by United award ticket redeposit fee removal
All redeposit fees associated with canceling award travel have been removed, so you have more choice and control over managing plans. United is committed to meeting customer expectations by providing more flexibility throughout the travel experience.
https://www.united.com/en/us/fly/mil...whats-new.html

https://www.united.com/ual/en/us/fly...icketing.html

Have an upcoming trip you want to cancel and redeposit the miles -- but subject to the 30 day or less cancel fee?
Just use the free change to move to a flight further in the future (>31 days) not subject to the cancellation fee and then cancel / redeposit for free.
Note the change does not need to be to the same itin or the same mileage cost. If the change is to a cheaper mileage ticket, the extra miles will be redeposited for free.

4 Oct 2022
United continues to waive redeposit fees for all award tickets, booked at any time, for all MileagePlus members and all points of origin. The current location this is located on United's website is described below.
Originally Posted by Lux Flyer
Glad you were able to figure it out. But for posterity in case anyone else comes looking (or wants to double check it is still in effect.

On this page which shows the chart with fees (https://www.united.com/ual/en/us/fly...ticketing.html). There is the banner at the top showing

And if you follow it through all the way it eventually takes you to the no change fees page (https://www.united.com/ual/en/us/fly...hange-fee.html), with the FAQs on award travel indicating redeposit fee is currently being waived.

OLDER FEES conditions

1 Jan 2021
Originally Posted by charlesonmission
Has this just been updated? https://www.united.com/ual/en/us/fly...ticketing.html

Fee for making a change or canceling with redeposit 31 or more days before departure = No Fee
Fee for making a change to a ticket for travel originating in the U.S. 30 or fewer days before departure = No fee
Fee for canceling a ticket for travel originating in the U.S. with miles redeposit 30 or fewer days before departure = $125
Fee for making a change to or canceling international tickets that do not originate in the U.S. 30 or fewer days before departure = $125

That seems to be what we are expecting. Nice that the 31 day or more cancellation is also no fee even if the flight doesn't originate in the US. I wonder if giving agents the exact URL so that they could look it up is something that they would be able to do.

23 Dec 2020
Award flight redeposit fees waived
We’re waiving redeposit fees for award flights departing on or before March 31, 2021, that are canceled at least 30 days before the departure date. You can also change your award flight with no fee. Learn more about changing or canceling your award flight.
31 Aug

We’re waiving redeposit fees for award flights departing on or before December 31, 2020, that are canceled at least 30 days before the departure date. You can also change your award flight with no fee. Learn more about changing or canceling your award flight.
30 June
If you’re planning to cancel your award travel, we’re waiving all redeposit fees for award flights with travel dates on or before July 31, 2020. We’re also waiving redeposit fees for award flights with travel dates on or before December 31, 2020, that are canceled at least 30 days before the departure date. You can also change your award flight with no fee. Learn more about changing or canceling your award flight.
End of July this was changed to 31 August 2020

28 May
If you’re planning to cancel your award travel, we’re waiving all redeposit fees for award flights with travel dates on or before June 30, 2020. We’re also waiving redeposit fees for award flights with travel dates on or before December 31, 2020, that are changed or canceled at least 30 days before the departure date. Learn more about changing or canceling your award flight.

as of 05 April 2020
We{UA} have removed some redeposit fees for the rest of the year.
  • We are currently waiving all award redeposit fees for travel through end of May 2020.
  • We are now also waiving all redeposit fees for award ticket cancellations made more than 30 days before departure for the remainder of 2020.

Fees for a change or redeposit:
  • There are fees for some changes and redeposit , so please check the chart below for details. These fees apply to MileagePlus® awards on United, United Express®, Star Alliance® airline partners and other airline partners.
  • When requesting a change for more than one ticket, the fee applies to each ticket separately. If two people are traveling together and make a change, for example, there will be a fee for both.
  • When flying with one of our Star Alliance partners, changes must be made at least 24 hours before departure. {but in many cases much less will work -- somewhat YMMV -- but the rules state 24 hours}
  • Fees are based on the status of the mileage account holder at the time of the request
  • Fee for canceling / redeposit a mileage upgrade

UA's Award ticketing options/service fees

With Changes To UA MileagePlus Coming On NOV 15, 2019 (Dynamic UA Awards - No More Chart)close-in booking fees will disappear

Close-in fee trick:
Multiple reports this no longer works.
{Book outside the close-in window and then change "for free" in the 24-hour change free window}

Award tickets booked prior to Oct 6, 2016 will be covered by the old pre-Oct 6 rules but some changes (such as changing the first segment} will re-ticket the award and make it subject to the new rules

Related thread: Deadline to cancel/redeposit award ticket...?

Previous thread -- General award ticket change/cancellation/redeposit/fees questions [2015-2016]

Archive : https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unit...q-archive.html

Print Wikipost

UA Award tkt change/cancellation/redeposit/fees Q&As {Archive}

Search this Thread

Old Jan 25, 2019, 1:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by vishalg
Is this correct?
Yes.
Old Jan 25, 2019, 2:59 pm

Programs: MileagePlus
Thanks for the super quick response @jssloan

Just like round trip, a multi-city ticket is also considered one ticket, correct?

Thanks!
Old Jan 25, 2019, 3:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by vishalg
Thanks for the super quick response @jssloan

Just like round trip, a multi-city ticket is also considered one ticket, correct?

Thanks!
Yes, in the context of change fees, "ticket" = "PNR x pax" (roughly). I think it might actually be pricing units, but unless your trip has more than two stopovers plus a destination it should be fine.
Old Feb 2, 2019, 10:49 am

Programs: UA 1K / *G / Marriott PE / Expedia Gold+ / Hertz PC
Was a 1K for a few years and Plat last year so I haven't kept up to date on the minutiae of benefits. Anyways, is it still that 1Ks can cancel award flights and get all miles re-deposited for $0? I have plenty of miles in the bank and I haven't done it for at least 2 years but I used to book a new award flight (LH J/F) and then cancel my existing award flight (UA J) in the event that it changes carriers because I feel it's just easier and cleaner that once I know 100% I have a new award that's ticketed I feel safe cxl my previous ticket.

(I thought there was a 1K benefits thread but searching I couldn't come up with anything so feel free to move Mods.)
Old Feb 2, 2019, 10:53 am

Programs: BA Bronze, United 1K, HH Gold, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by JVPhoto
Was a 1K for a few years and Plat last year so I haven't kept up to date on the minutiae of benefits. Anyways, is it still that 1Ks can cancel award flights and get all miles re-deposited for $0? I have plenty of miles in the bank and I haven't done it for at least 2 years but I used to book a new award flight (LH J/F) and then cancel my existing award flight (UA J) in the event that it changes carriers because I feel it's just easier and cleaner that once I know 100% I have a new award that's ticketed I feel safe cxl my previous ticket.

(I thought there was a 1K benefits thread but searching I couldn't come up with anything so feel free to move Mods.)
Yes, this is a benefit. I did use it last year when I found a better flight. Booked the better flight then cancelled the previous one.
Old Feb 2, 2019, 12:37 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
1ks / GSs are exempt from most award fees , only subject to the "no show" redeposit fee
Look at https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showwiki.php?t=1928496
or
Premier benefits chart
or
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unit...questions.html
Old Feb 2, 2019, 2:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
As long as you cancel before departure, you're fine and it's free. Just make sure you don't hold two overlapping itineraries for any significant period of time.
Old Feb 5, 2019, 7:01 am

A few weeks ago, I booked a flight on a Saver Award about 4 hours before the flight. I am Gold, so paid the $25 close-in booking fee. The flight was then delayed 8 hours, and later canceled due to a combination of weather and ATC delays. Rather than re-book, I elected to cancel the reservation and request a re-deposit of the miles. The $25 close-in fee was never refunded. Is it true that the close-in booking fee is non-refundable even if the flight is canceled? Any tips for getting this refunded if it is considered non-refundable?

I was under the impression pretty much all fees are refundable if the flight is canceled.

Last edited by usflyer16; Feb 5, 2019 at 7:08 am
Old Feb 5, 2019, 7:51 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by usflyer16
A few weeks ago, I booked a flight on a Saver Award about 4 hours before the flight. I am Gold, so paid the $25 close-in booking fee. The flight was then delayed 8 hours, and later canceled due to a combination of weather and ATC delays. Rather than re-book, I elected to cancel the reservation and request a re-deposit of the miles. The $25 close-in fee was never refunded. Is it true that the close-in booking fee is non-refundable even if the flight is canceled? Any tips for getting this refunded if it is considered non-refundable?
Have you followed up and requested it be refunded?
Old Feb 5, 2019, 8:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by usflyer16
I was under the impression pretty much all fees are refundable if the flight is canceled.
I'm pretty sure that UA considers it an ancillary fee, not related to the flight itself, the same as it would a change fee or a telephone booking fee. Your opinion may vary, but I don't think UA considers it refundable.
Old Feb 5, 2019, 12:36 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by jsloan
I'm pretty sure that UA considers it an ancillary fee, not related to the flight itself, the same as it would a change fee or a telephone booking fee. Your opinion may vary, but I don't think UA considers it refundable.
Likely so, but I'd still ask in the context of a refund for a flight cancellation.
Old Feb 15, 2019, 4:35 pm

Originally Posted by Kacee
Have you followed up and requested it be refunded?
Just called the Premier line and they refunded immediately and apologized for the mistake.
Old Feb 15, 2019, 6:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, AC MM E75, Marriott LT Ti, IHG Dia Amb, Hyatt Glob
Originally Posted by margarita girl

Canceled another award ticket yesterday and unable to cancel myself. I tried both the website and the app, and got the same error message both times. I had to call in and agent was able to cancel immediately.

I’m wondering if this might be caused by the new website. Timing seems to match, though I can’t say for sure.
This is an ongoing problem as I still can’t cancel award bookings myself. A friend and I booked an award ticket for YYZ-EWR for Feb 13 since we had AC revenue tickets for Feb 12 and there was an impending blizzard. In the end, there was a weather waiver and AC let us fly to EWR on the 11th. Neither my friend nor I were able to cancel our award tickets online. He’s also Cdn. Sure would be nice if UA fixed this problem.
Old Feb 22, 2019, 11:20 am

$75 last minute fee for award travel

Is there any way to get this waived, say for a family emergency? I don't relish another call to Manila. Also, how many hours/days before the flight does the fee kick in?
Old Feb 22, 2019, 11:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by tom_MN
Is there any way to get this waived, say for a family emergency? I don't relish another call to Manila. Also, how many hours/days before the flight does the fee kick in?
It's waived with sufficient Premier status or with the United Club credit card. Other than that, you can try asking, but I wouldn't expect anything.

The fee kicks in 21 days before the flight.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.