Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA Award tkt change/cancellation/redeposit/fees Q&As {Archive}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 9, 2024, 1:46 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Archive thread, active thread UA Award tkt change/cancellation/redeposit/fees Q&As: No fees pre-travel

Award ticketing options/service fees
There are no longer any fees for worldwide UA award cancellation or mileage redeposit done pre-travel including UA partner awards

8 Nov 2022
As part of the 2023 MileagePlus program updates award redeposit fees are being removed for all levels beginning 1 Jan 2023
**This does not apply to redepositing after a no-show**

Originally Posted by United award ticket redeposit fee removal
All redeposit fees associated with canceling award travel have been removed, so you have more choice and control over managing plans. United is committed to meeting customer expectations by providing more flexibility throughout the travel experience.
https://www.united.com/en/us/fly/mil...whats-new.html

https://www.united.com/ual/en/us/fly...icketing.html

Have an upcoming trip you want to cancel and redeposit the miles -- but subject to the 30 day or less cancel fee?
Just use the free change to move to a flight further in the future (>31 days) not subject to the cancellation fee and then cancel / redeposit for free.
Note the change does not need to be to the same itin or the same mileage cost. If the change is to a cheaper mileage ticket, the extra miles will be redeposited for free.

4 Oct 2022
United continues to waive redeposit fees for all award tickets, booked at any time, for all MileagePlus members and all points of origin. The current location this is located on United's website is described below.
Originally Posted by Lux Flyer
Glad you were able to figure it out. But for posterity in case anyone else comes looking (or wants to double check it is still in effect.

On this page which shows the chart with fees (https://www.united.com/ual/en/us/fly...ticketing.html). There is the banner at the top showing

And if you follow it through all the way it eventually takes you to the no change fees page (https://www.united.com/ual/en/us/fly...hange-fee.html), with the FAQs on award travel indicating redeposit fee is currently being waived.

OLDER FEES conditions

1 Jan 2021
Originally Posted by charlesonmission
Has this just been updated? https://www.united.com/ual/en/us/fly...ticketing.html

Fee for making a change or canceling with redeposit 31 or more days before departure = No Fee
Fee for making a change to a ticket for travel originating in the U.S. 30 or fewer days before departure = No fee
Fee for canceling a ticket for travel originating in the U.S. with miles redeposit 30 or fewer days before departure = $125
Fee for making a change to or canceling international tickets that do not originate in the U.S. 30 or fewer days before departure = $125

That seems to be what we are expecting. Nice that the 31 day or more cancellation is also no fee even if the flight doesn't originate in the US. I wonder if giving agents the exact URL so that they could look it up is something that they would be able to do.

23 Dec 2020
Award flight redeposit fees waived
We’re waiving redeposit fees for award flights departing on or before March 31, 2021, that are canceled at least 30 days before the departure date. You can also change your award flight with no fee. Learn more about changing or canceling your award flight.
31 Aug

We’re waiving redeposit fees for award flights departing on or before December 31, 2020, that are canceled at least 30 days before the departure date. You can also change your award flight with no fee. Learn more about changing or canceling your award flight.
30 June
If you’re planning to cancel your award travel, we’re waiving all redeposit fees for award flights with travel dates on or before July 31, 2020. We’re also waiving redeposit fees for award flights with travel dates on or before December 31, 2020, that are canceled at least 30 days before the departure date. You can also change your award flight with no fee. Learn more about changing or canceling your award flight.
End of July this was changed to 31 August 2020

28 May
If you’re planning to cancel your award travel, we’re waiving all redeposit fees for award flights with travel dates on or before June 30, 2020. We’re also waiving redeposit fees for award flights with travel dates on or before December 31, 2020, that are changed or canceled at least 30 days before the departure date. Learn more about changing or canceling your award flight.

as of 05 April 2020
We{UA} have removed some redeposit fees for the rest of the year.
  • We are currently waiving all award redeposit fees for travel through end of May 2020.
  • We are now also waiving all redeposit fees for award ticket cancellations made more than 30 days before departure for the remainder of 2020.

Fees for a change or redeposit:
  • There are fees for some changes and redeposit , so please check the chart below for details. These fees apply to MileagePlus® awards on United, United Express®, Star Alliance® airline partners and other airline partners.
  • When requesting a change for more than one ticket, the fee applies to each ticket separately. If two people are traveling together and make a change, for example, there will be a fee for both.
  • When flying with one of our Star Alliance partners, changes must be made at least 24 hours before departure. {but in many cases much less will work -- somewhat YMMV -- but the rules state 24 hours}
  • Fees are based on the status of the mileage account holder at the time of the request
  • Fee for canceling / redeposit a mileage upgrade

UA's Award ticketing options/service fees

With Changes To UA MileagePlus Coming On NOV 15, 2019 (Dynamic UA Awards - No More Chart)close-in booking fees will disappear

Close-in fee trick:
Multiple reports this no longer works.
{Book outside the close-in window and then change "for free" in the 24-hour change free window}

Award tickets booked prior to Oct 6, 2016 will be covered by the old pre-Oct 6 rules but some changes (such as changing the first segment} will re-ticket the award and make it subject to the new rules

Related thread: Deadline to cancel/redeposit award ticket...?

Previous thread -- General award ticket change/cancellation/redeposit/fees questions [2015-2016]

Archive : https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unit...q-archive.html

Print Wikipost

UA Award tkt change/cancellation/redeposit/fees Q&As {Archive}

Search this Thread

Old Dec 15, 2018, 12:18 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott Ti/LTP
Originally Posted by findark
If SFO-FRA is UA metal (same flight on the new itinerary) it's worth trying, but I'd say the odds aren't great. If LH metal, no chance.
Follow up: I was able to have an agent change SFO-FRA-yyy to SFO-FRA-ZZZ as well as my CCC-FRA-SFO to just FRA-SFO. UA metal on the TATL, no saver space available.
Old Dec 16, 2018, 5:22 pm

Programs: UA GS 1MM
I’m having a situation that I can’t understand :
I am booked on an award ticket in business class EWR-ZRH-JNB-CPT.
I will be in Europe at this time and I have a paid CDG-EWR so it’s all good.
This said, I realized it made no sense to fly to EWR from CDG to go back to ZRH the next day (i’m flying with someone so I thought it would be nice to travel together, but actually it’s stupid).
SO, I wanted to change the ticket to ZRH-JNB-CPT.
It was working on the website, would get 25K miles back and pay a bit more in taxes.
When I confirmed, it didn’t go through. So I called Global Services who was unable to help because « there is a connection »
I can’t book a new flight because there is no availability anymore.
It’s just so frustrating since I’m already holding the seat from ZRH-JNB-CPT and just need to remove the EWR-ZRH segment.

Any idea how to make it work ?
thanks !!

Old Dec 16, 2018, 5:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by benewr
I’m having a situation that I can’t understand :
I am booked on an award ticket in business class EWR-ZRH-JNB-CPT.
I will be in Europe at this time and I have a paid CDG-EWR so it’s all good.
This said, I realized it made no sense to fly to EWR from CDG to go back to ZRH the next day (i’m flying with someone so I thought it would be nice to travel together, but actually it’s stupid).
SO, I wanted to change the ticket to ZRH-JNB-CPT.
It was working on the website, would get 25K miles back and pay a bit more in taxes.
When I confirmed, it didn’t go through. So I called Global Services who was unable to help because « there is a connection »
I can’t book a new flight because there is no availability anymore.
It’s just so frustrating since I’m already holding the seat from ZRH-JNB-CPT and just need to remove the EWR-ZRH segment.

Any idea how to make it work ?
thanks !!
you need fresh availability when making such changes w/ partner flights, there is almost no way around it. UA needs to re-ticket this and yes, you might find an agent that does it, but it will come back unconfirmed and then you have a huge mess ... been there done that.
Old Jan 2, 2019, 9:07 am

Programs: AC SE
Originally Posted by margarita girl
On Nov 23, I posted that I was having difficulty cancelling my award tickets the last few months, 100% of my tickets! It just happened again. Unable to cancel my ticket and got the usual error message.[h1]

Am I really the only one experiencing these problems? Why am I so special? I'm tired of calling in to UA on every single reservation I want to cancel.
Pretty sure it's because you're based in Canada, as I've had exactly the same error message any time I've tried to cancel an award ticket. I had never cancelled an award ticket until about 2 months ago, but had to make a couple cancellations over the course of a couple months due to a family illness and had to call in every time. Seems like it may be for any ticket where the billing address is outside the US?
Old Jan 2, 2019, 10:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, AC MM E75, Marriott LT Ti, IHG Dia Amb, Hyatt Glob
Originally Posted by gcashin
Pretty sure it's because you're based in Canada, as I've had exactly the same error message any time I've tried to cancel an award ticket. I had never cancelled an award ticket until about 2 months ago, but had to make a couple cancellations over the course of a couple months due to a family illness and had to call in every time. Seems like it may be for any ticket where the billing address is outside the US?
Well, it's a new problem. I've been 1K for 6-7 years, and never had any issues until a few months ago. I need to cancel a ticket in the coming week, and I expect I'll have to call in again.

Glad to hear I'm not the only one.
Old Jan 2, 2019, 10:55 am

Programs: AC SE
Originally Posted by margarita girl
Well, it's a new problem. I've been 1K for 6-7 years, and never had any issues until a few months ago. I need to cancel a ticket in the coming week, and I expect I'll have to call in again.

Glad to hear I'm not the only one.
Yeah, Canada based 1K for 3 years, and I hadn't cancelled an award ticket until about 2 months ago, so figured it was the norm to have to call in. Hopefully they can get it back to working again, but I'm batting 100% on 3-4 bookings over the past 3 months for getting that error message and having to phone in to cancel. At least the 1K agents are friendly and quick in helping!
Old Jan 8, 2019, 1:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, AC MM E75, Marriott LT Ti, IHG Dia Amb, Hyatt Glob
Originally Posted by gcashin
Yeah, Canada based 1K for 3 years, and I hadn't cancelled an award ticket until about 2 months ago, so figured it was the norm to have to call in. Hopefully they can get it back to working again, but I'm batting 100% on 3-4 bookings over the past 3 months for getting that error message and having to phone in to cancel. At least the 1K agents are friendly and quick in helping!
Canceled another award ticket yesterday and unable to cancel myself. I tried both the website and the app, and got the same error message both times. I had to call in and agent was able to cancel immediately.

I’m wondering if this might be caused by the new website. Timing seems to match, though I can’t say for sure.
Old Jan 9, 2019, 8:18 am

Changing to another award type after travel has started - no miles refund

I was flying on a business-class award ticket with 2 other passengers on a AAA-BBB-JFK itinerary, where AAA is a city in Europe, BBB is a European gateway, both legs operated by a Star Alliance partner. The original award was 70K miles per passenger. After arriving to BBB, I noticed that UA has opened 3 award seats in business on its own BBB-EWR flight and, after much drama (see below), switched to this flight. Since the AAA-BBB-EWR award would have been only 60K miles per passenger, I expected to receive 30K miles back ((70-60) x3) after the ticket has been re-issued, but didn't. A few days later, I called UA and, after an hour of back-and-forth between reservations and MPSC, was transferred to customer care where a really nasty supervisor ("let me explain something to you") told me that the ticket has been exchanged, but a new award has not been issued, so go pound sand. I can't think of any other way to ask for 30K miles back so I guess that's it?

Having done this exchange, I do not recommend it to anyone. First, I had to uncheck us from the BBB-JFK flight (a hassle, but doable). After our reservation on the BBB-JFK flight has been removed and United manually constructed a reservation on the BBB-EWR flight (and priced it incorrectly as 70K per passenger instead of 60K), it turned out that the ticket cannot be re-issued until the coupon for the already-flown AAA-BBB leg shows in the system as lifted. Waiting for this was stressful and created a real risk of being stranded at BBB without a valid ticket home. Eventually, it all worked out, but I don't think I'll try this ever again.
Old Jan 9, 2019, 8:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by AustinPilot
A few days later, I called UA and, after an hour of back-and-forth between reservations and MPSC, was transferred to customer care where a really nasty supervisor ("let me explain something to you") told me that the ticket has been exchanged, but a new award has not been issued, so go pound sand. I can't think of any other way to ask for 30K miles back so I guess that's it?
In a vacuum, I agree with your idea that you should be able to get a 10K/passenger rebate. In practice, I'm not surprised that it didn't work out, although I'm sorry that you had a bad experience with the supervisor.

Re-ticketing at a connection point is extremely challenging, as you found. The basic problem is that you already had a coupon used for AAA-BBB on the AAA-BBB-JFK 70K award. Trying to replace that after the fact with an AAA-BBB-EWR award would have meant re-issuing the entire ticket, including the part that had already been communicated to the other airline. I'd be very surprised if the systems were set up to make that easy: "Hey, go into AustinPilot's record for the flight you already flew and replace ticket 016123456... with 016234567..., then mark the coupon as used."

It sounds like the agent was able to replace your BBB-JFK flight with a BBB-EWR flight as though you'd had a cancellation or delay on the BBB-JFK segment. In general, when that happens, no fare difference is computed. (i.e., if you'd paid cash, and AAA-BBB-EWR had been cheaper than AAA-BBB-JFK, you wouldn't have gotten a refund either).

Did you discuss the 10K mile difference with the phone agent when you called to make the change?
Old Jan 9, 2019, 9:52 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by jsloan
Re-ticketing at a connection point is extremely challenging, as you found.
Indeed. The only realistic way to make the refund work would be to fly the final segment and then request a post-travel refund as a customer service gesture (as opposed to a reticketing). Since this was a voluntary reroute, I don't really see that as warranted. Apparently the UA supervisor did not, either.
Old Jan 9, 2019, 11:22 am

Originally Posted by jsloan
Re-ticketing at a connection point is extremely challenging, as you found. The basic problem is that you already had a coupon used for AAA-BBB on the AAA-BBB-JFK 70K award. Trying to replace that after the fact with an AAA-BBB-EWR award would have meant re-issuing the entire ticket, including the part that had already been communicated to the other airline. I'd be very surprised if the systems were set up to make that easy
Not easy at all, but they did get it done: the final ticket receipt (issued after AAA-BBB was flown) shows AAA-BBB-EWR. It had to be priced manually, and unfortunately they did it as an even exchange with the original AAA-BBB-JFK ticket instead of re-pricing it at the correct level.

Did you discuss the 10K mile difference with the phone agent when you called to make the change?
I did, but the agent had to talk to someone else (with me on hold for 30 minutes) who changed the reservation and manually re-priced the ticket.

Originally Posted by Kacee
Indeed. The only realistic way to make the refund work would be to fly the final segment and then request a post-travel refund as a customer service gesture (as opposed to a reticketing). Since this was a voluntary reroute, I don't really see that as warranted. Apparently the UA supervisor did not, either.
I did request it after flying the final segment. The MPSC and reservations folks were super-nice but could not help with an already-flown reservation, so they bounced me to a customer care supervisor who was aggressive from the get-go, before I even asked for anything. Her first words were "I am aksing [sic] you, what happened in BBB?"

I do believe they made a mistake in not re-pricing the ticket when they reissued it. I am sort of glad I tried it, so I know how this works (or doesn't , but I would not recommend it.
Old Jan 9, 2019, 11:55 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
I did request it after flying the final segment..
Right, that was clear from your OP.

I've had success making that request by email to 1kvoice, but that's in the context of an involuntary reroute, where I was forced onto UA metal by a partner cancel. Conceptually, it seems to me that what you wanted to do was not really an award change, but a voluntary reroute once travel had already commenced.
Old Jan 11, 2019, 9:50 am

Programs: None - previously UA
I have SFO-FRA-JNB-VFA booked but FRA-JNB is in Y on LH, if I space opens up on that flight are UA able to make the change to I without releasing the rest of the ticket?
Old Jan 18, 2019, 11:32 am

I was flying on a business-class award ticket with 2 other passengers on a AAA-BBB-JFK itinerary, where AAA is a city in Europe, BBB is a European gateway, both legs operated by a Star Alliance partner. The original award was 70K miles per passenger. After arriving to BBB, I noticed that UA has opened 3 award seats in business on its own BBB-EWR flight and, after much drama (see below), switched to this flight. Since the AAA-BBB-EWR award would have been only 60K miles per passenger, I expected to receive 30K miles back ((70-60) x3) after the ticket has been re-issued, but didn't. A few days later, I called UA and, after an hour of back-and-forth between reservations and MPSC, was transferred to customer care where a really nasty supervisor ("let me explain something to you") told me that the ticket has been exchanged, but a new award has not been issued, so go pound sand.
Update: complained to 1kvoice. Their response: "when I reviewed the reservation it shows that there wasn't a change to the mileage requirement" and "you also spoke to one of our Customer Care representatives and it was determined there wouldn't be any mileage returned," but gave me 15K miles back as a customer service gesture.

It's a fair enough resolution, but still no reasonable explanation. The price of the new award is 60K per person with or without the intra-European segment. If I had changed the award *before* flying the segment and flew the segment afterwards, I would have gotten 30K back. Why should it matter that I changed it *after* flying the segment. Anyway, it's a useful lesson for switching awards "mid-flight."
Old Jan 25, 2019, 1:15 pm

Programs: MileagePlus
Question Best way to split awards reservation

Hello,

We are MileagePlus general members. Family of 3 -- 2 adults, 1 11 yr old (at time of travel.)
My son and I are starting our trip together. My wife will start later. We will all return together.
What is the best way to make our reservation to minimize the redeposit fee for our award miles in case our travel plans are disrupted?

Based on this:
"When requesting a change for more than one ticket, the fee applies to each ticket separately. If two people are traveling together and make a change, for example, there will be a fee for both."

Assuming that a round-trip ticket is in fact one ticket I should probably make a reservation with round-trips for my son and me. Next I should make a round-trip reservation for my wife, counting on the fact that we will be able to find seats next to each other when returning together.

This way, should I need to cancel the trip and redeposit miles, if done more than 61 days out, I would have to pay a fee of $150 ($75 * 2) for my son and me. And a fee of $75 for my wife. Total: $225.

If I were to split the reservation into 3 one-ways --a one-way for my son and me, a one-way for my wife, and a one-way return for all three of us, then when canceling, we are looking at ($75 * 2) + ($75 * 1) + ($75 * 3) = $450 of redeposit fees.

Is this correct?

Thanks!!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.