Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA Award tkt change/cancellation/redeposit/fees Q&As {Archive}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 9, 2024, 1:46 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Archive thread, active thread UA Award tkt change/cancellation/redeposit/fees Q&As: No fees pre-travel

Award ticketing options/service fees
There are no longer any fees for worldwide UA award cancellation or mileage redeposit done pre-travel including UA partner awards

8 Nov 2022
As part of the 2023 MileagePlus program updates award redeposit fees are being removed for all levels beginning 1 Jan 2023
**This does not apply to redepositing after a no-show**

Originally Posted by United award ticket redeposit fee removal
All redeposit fees associated with canceling award travel have been removed, so you have more choice and control over managing plans. United is committed to meeting customer expectations by providing more flexibility throughout the travel experience.
https://www.united.com/en/us/fly/mil...whats-new.html

https://www.united.com/ual/en/us/fly...icketing.html

Have an upcoming trip you want to cancel and redeposit the miles -- but subject to the 30 day or less cancel fee?
Just use the free change to move to a flight further in the future (>31 days) not subject to the cancellation fee and then cancel / redeposit for free.
Note the change does not need to be to the same itin or the same mileage cost. If the change is to a cheaper mileage ticket, the extra miles will be redeposited for free.

4 Oct 2022
United continues to waive redeposit fees for all award tickets, booked at any time, for all MileagePlus members and all points of origin. The current location this is located on United's website is described below.
Originally Posted by Lux Flyer
Glad you were able to figure it out. But for posterity in case anyone else comes looking (or wants to double check it is still in effect.

On this page which shows the chart with fees (https://www.united.com/ual/en/us/fly...ticketing.html). There is the banner at the top showing

And if you follow it through all the way it eventually takes you to the no change fees page (https://www.united.com/ual/en/us/fly...hange-fee.html), with the FAQs on award travel indicating redeposit fee is currently being waived.

OLDER FEES conditions

1 Jan 2021
Originally Posted by charlesonmission
Has this just been updated? https://www.united.com/ual/en/us/fly...ticketing.html

Fee for making a change or canceling with redeposit 31 or more days before departure = No Fee
Fee for making a change to a ticket for travel originating in the U.S. 30 or fewer days before departure = No fee
Fee for canceling a ticket for travel originating in the U.S. with miles redeposit 30 or fewer days before departure = $125
Fee for making a change to or canceling international tickets that do not originate in the U.S. 30 or fewer days before departure = $125

That seems to be what we are expecting. Nice that the 31 day or more cancellation is also no fee even if the flight doesn't originate in the US. I wonder if giving agents the exact URL so that they could look it up is something that they would be able to do.

23 Dec 2020
Award flight redeposit fees waived
We’re waiving redeposit fees for award flights departing on or before March 31, 2021, that are canceled at least 30 days before the departure date. You can also change your award flight with no fee. Learn more about changing or canceling your award flight.
31 Aug

We’re waiving redeposit fees for award flights departing on or before December 31, 2020, that are canceled at least 30 days before the departure date. You can also change your award flight with no fee. Learn more about changing or canceling your award flight.
30 June
If you’re planning to cancel your award travel, we’re waiving all redeposit fees for award flights with travel dates on or before July 31, 2020. We’re also waiving redeposit fees for award flights with travel dates on or before December 31, 2020, that are canceled at least 30 days before the departure date. You can also change your award flight with no fee. Learn more about changing or canceling your award flight.
End of July this was changed to 31 August 2020

28 May
If you’re planning to cancel your award travel, we’re waiving all redeposit fees for award flights with travel dates on or before June 30, 2020. We’re also waiving redeposit fees for award flights with travel dates on or before December 31, 2020, that are changed or canceled at least 30 days before the departure date. Learn more about changing or canceling your award flight.

as of 05 April 2020
We{UA} have removed some redeposit fees for the rest of the year.
  • We are currently waiving all award redeposit fees for travel through end of May 2020.
  • We are now also waiving all redeposit fees for award ticket cancellations made more than 30 days before departure for the remainder of 2020.

Fees for a change or redeposit:
  • There are fees for some changes and redeposit , so please check the chart below for details. These fees apply to MileagePlus® awards on United, United Express®, Star Alliance® airline partners and other airline partners.
  • When requesting a change for more than one ticket, the fee applies to each ticket separately. If two people are traveling together and make a change, for example, there will be a fee for both.
  • When flying with one of our Star Alliance partners, changes must be made at least 24 hours before departure. {but in many cases much less will work -- somewhat YMMV -- but the rules state 24 hours}
  • Fees are based on the status of the mileage account holder at the time of the request
  • Fee for canceling / redeposit a mileage upgrade

UA's Award ticketing options/service fees

With Changes To UA MileagePlus Coming On NOV 15, 2019 (Dynamic UA Awards - No More Chart)close-in booking fees will disappear

Close-in fee trick:
Multiple reports this no longer works.
{Book outside the close-in window and then change "for free" in the 24-hour change free window}

Award tickets booked prior to Oct 6, 2016 will be covered by the old pre-Oct 6 rules but some changes (such as changing the first segment} will re-ticket the award and make it subject to the new rules

Related thread: Deadline to cancel/redeposit award ticket...?

Previous thread -- General award ticket change/cancellation/redeposit/fees questions [2015-2016]

Archive : https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unit...q-archive.html

Print Wikipost

UA Award tkt change/cancellation/redeposit/fees Q&As {Archive}

Search this Thread

Old Dec 2, 2018, 1:42 am

Programs: UA 1K
[QUOTE=YOK? Yokohama?[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the response. No idea why I said YOK. I meant OKA.
Old Dec 2, 2018, 1:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by nobodyherebutme
Thanks for the response. No idea why I said YOK. I meant OKA.
:-) OK, that makes a lot more sense. HND-OKA (or NRT-OKA) is long enough that the higher award amount would apply, but otherwise my comments stand. You may be able to get someone to make this change for you, but there's no guarantee.

Incidentally, the online change tool, which I normally don't recommend, may be able to price this out for you. However, you're going to need to be prepared to call if an error occurs (which is not unlikely). Note: I'm assuming your NRT-DEN flight is on UA. If you're actually connecting from an NH to a UA flight, you're likely to need inventory all the way from OKA to DEN before you can make the change. They're unlikely to be able to hold NH award space to modify it.
Old Dec 2, 2018, 10:24 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott Ti/LTP
Any chance I would be able to change SFO-FRA-YYY to SFO-FRA-ZZZ without saver space on SFO-FRA (same departure date?)
Old Dec 2, 2018, 10:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
If SFO-FRA is UA metal (same flight on the new itinerary) it's worth trying, but I'd say the odds aren't great. If LH metal, no chance.
Old Dec 3, 2018, 2:29 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by jsloan
If you're actually connecting from an NH to a UA flight, you're likely to need inventory all the way from OKA to DEN before you can make the change. They're unlikely to be able to hold NH award space to modify it.
Are you speaking from personal experience?

Because I have made online changes to an award itinerary with partner (BR) inventory no longer available and kept the partner segment. I've done this twice.
Old Dec 3, 2018, 8:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Kacee
Because I have made online changes to an award itinerary with partner (BR) inventory no longer available and kept the partner segment. I've done this twice.
No, anecdotal experience from the board. I've seen the same thing as you when I've tried to make online changes, but I've also seen a lot of stories about people being unable to make changes due to missing inventory. The online flight change tool is flaky enough that I'm not sure it's going to work, especially if you're trying to add a new segment, and even more especially if you're trying to add a new segment that connects to the existing inventory.

So, yes, give it a try, cross your fingers, and hope it works out -- it might. But if OP is booked on NH rather than UA, it likely makes sense to have a plan B just in case.
Old Dec 3, 2018, 6:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, AC MM E75, Marriott LT Ti, IHG Dia Amb, Hyatt Glob
On Nov 23, I posted that I was having difficulty cancelling my award tickets the last few months, 100% of my tickets! It just happened again. Unable to cancel my ticket and got the usual error message.

Error

! Your refund requires special attention. Please contact the Electronic Support Desk at 1-800-300-1547 for assistance.

Am I really the only one experiencing these problems? Why am I so special? I'm tired of calling in to UA on every single reservation I want to cancel.
Old Dec 3, 2018, 9:48 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by margarita girl
... Why am I so special? I'm tired of calling in to UA on every single reservation I want to cancel.
How many award tickets are you canceling?
Old Dec 3, 2018, 10:20 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
anecdotal experience from the board
Got it. Just hearsay then.
I've seen the same thing as you when I've tried to make online changes
I'm not talking about what I've "seen" - I'm talking about what I've actually done.
Old Dec 4, 2018, 6:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, AC MM E75, Marriott LT Ti, IHG Dia Amb, Hyatt Glob
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
How many award tickets are you canceling?
I haven’t looked, but I’d say at least half a dozen over the last few months. I’m planning several Asia trips and am making changes as better availability opens up or I modify my itinerary.

Tech support canceled my reservation last night, and the miles haven’t been redeposited, so this will require another phone call!
Old Dec 5, 2018, 7:16 pm

Programs: UA MP
I know the wiki states that fees are based of the status of the original account.
Please excuse me is this was already discussed, but i just want to verify the following situation.

Member 1 (no status) uses his/her miles to redeem one saver award for Member 2 (1K Status). *Member 2 is the only traveler on the reservation*, Member 2's 1K MP number is placed on the reservation. From there on out is Member 2 technically able to make changes/ adjustments to the reservation on with the fee waiver policies of 1K status?
Old Dec 6, 2018, 12:28 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by erickliu
I know the wiki states that fees are based of the status of the original account.
Please excuse me is this was already discussed, but i just want to verify the following situation.

Member 1 (no status) uses his/her miles to redeem one saver award for Member 2 (1K Status). *Member 2 is the only traveler on the reservation*, Member 2's 1K MP number is placed on the reservation. From there on out is Member 2 technically able to make changes/ adjustments to the reservation on with the fee waiver policies of 1K status?
No -- Award fee waiver is based on the original account status (at the time of change) supplying the miles
Old Dec 14, 2018, 3:04 pm

Cost to change date for Business Saver Award' s tickets

I am trying to book Business Saver Award flights to ATH. The day I want to fly had no availability. If a book a less preferred date how much would it cost to change to a better date if it becomes available?
Old Dec 14, 2018, 3:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by iowa guy
I am trying to book Business Saver Award flights to ATH. The day I want to fly had no availability. If a book a less preferred date how much would it cost to change to a better date if it becomes available?
$75 per person if done 61+ days before travel; $125 if done within 60 days of travel.
Old Dec 14, 2018, 3:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by iowa guy
Between $0 and $125 per pax, depending on your status and how far in advance you do it: Award Fee Chart

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.