Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA Award tkt change/cancellation/redeposit/fees Q&As {Archive}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 9, 2024, 1:46 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Archive thread, active thread UA Award tkt change/cancellation/redeposit/fees Q&As: No fees pre-travel

Award ticketing options/service fees
There are no longer any fees for worldwide UA award cancellation or mileage redeposit done pre-travel including UA partner awards

8 Nov 2022
As part of the 2023 MileagePlus program updates award redeposit fees are being removed for all levels beginning 1 Jan 2023
**This does not apply to redepositing after a no-show**

Originally Posted by United award ticket redeposit fee removal
All redeposit fees associated with canceling award travel have been removed, so you have more choice and control over managing plans. United is committed to meeting customer expectations by providing more flexibility throughout the travel experience.
https://www.united.com/en/us/fly/mil...whats-new.html

https://www.united.com/ual/en/us/fly...icketing.html

Have an upcoming trip you want to cancel and redeposit the miles -- but subject to the 30 day or less cancel fee?
Just use the free change to move to a flight further in the future (>31 days) not subject to the cancellation fee and then cancel / redeposit for free.
Note the change does not need to be to the same itin or the same mileage cost. If the change is to a cheaper mileage ticket, the extra miles will be redeposited for free.

4 Oct 2022
United continues to waive redeposit fees for all award tickets, booked at any time, for all MileagePlus members and all points of origin. The current location this is located on United's website is described below.
Originally Posted by Lux Flyer
Glad you were able to figure it out. But for posterity in case anyone else comes looking (or wants to double check it is still in effect.

On this page which shows the chart with fees (https://www.united.com/ual/en/us/fly...ticketing.html). There is the banner at the top showing

And if you follow it through all the way it eventually takes you to the no change fees page (https://www.united.com/ual/en/us/fly...hange-fee.html), with the FAQs on award travel indicating redeposit fee is currently being waived.

OLDER FEES conditions

1 Jan 2021
Originally Posted by charlesonmission
Has this just been updated? https://www.united.com/ual/en/us/fly...ticketing.html

Fee for making a change or canceling with redeposit 31 or more days before departure = No Fee
Fee for making a change to a ticket for travel originating in the U.S. 30 or fewer days before departure = No fee
Fee for canceling a ticket for travel originating in the U.S. with miles redeposit 30 or fewer days before departure = $125
Fee for making a change to or canceling international tickets that do not originate in the U.S. 30 or fewer days before departure = $125

That seems to be what we are expecting. Nice that the 31 day or more cancellation is also no fee even if the flight doesn't originate in the US. I wonder if giving agents the exact URL so that they could look it up is something that they would be able to do.

23 Dec 2020
Award flight redeposit fees waived
We’re waiving redeposit fees for award flights departing on or before March 31, 2021, that are canceled at least 30 days before the departure date. You can also change your award flight with no fee. Learn more about changing or canceling your award flight.
31 Aug

We’re waiving redeposit fees for award flights departing on or before December 31, 2020, that are canceled at least 30 days before the departure date. You can also change your award flight with no fee. Learn more about changing or canceling your award flight.
30 June
If you’re planning to cancel your award travel, we’re waiving all redeposit fees for award flights with travel dates on or before July 31, 2020. We’re also waiving redeposit fees for award flights with travel dates on or before December 31, 2020, that are canceled at least 30 days before the departure date. You can also change your award flight with no fee. Learn more about changing or canceling your award flight.
End of July this was changed to 31 August 2020

28 May
If you’re planning to cancel your award travel, we’re waiving all redeposit fees for award flights with travel dates on or before June 30, 2020. We’re also waiving redeposit fees for award flights with travel dates on or before December 31, 2020, that are changed or canceled at least 30 days before the departure date. Learn more about changing or canceling your award flight.

as of 05 April 2020
We{UA} have removed some redeposit fees for the rest of the year.
  • We are currently waiving all award redeposit fees for travel through end of May 2020.
  • We are now also waiving all redeposit fees for award ticket cancellations made more than 30 days before departure for the remainder of 2020.

Fees for a change or redeposit:
  • There are fees for some changes and redeposit , so please check the chart below for details. These fees apply to MileagePlus® awards on United, United Express®, Star Alliance® airline partners and other airline partners.
  • When requesting a change for more than one ticket, the fee applies to each ticket separately. If two people are traveling together and make a change, for example, there will be a fee for both.
  • When flying with one of our Star Alliance partners, changes must be made at least 24 hours before departure. {but in many cases much less will work -- somewhat YMMV -- but the rules state 24 hours}
  • Fees are based on the status of the mileage account holder at the time of the request
  • Fee for canceling / redeposit a mileage upgrade

UA's Award ticketing options/service fees

With Changes To UA MileagePlus Coming On NOV 15, 2019 (Dynamic UA Awards - No More Chart)close-in booking fees will disappear

Close-in fee trick:
Multiple reports this no longer works.
{Book outside the close-in window and then change "for free" in the 24-hour change free window}

Award tickets booked prior to Oct 6, 2016 will be covered by the old pre-Oct 6 rules but some changes (such as changing the first segment} will re-ticket the award and make it subject to the new rules

Related thread: Deadline to cancel/redeposit award ticket...?

Previous thread -- General award ticket change/cancellation/redeposit/fees questions [2015-2016]

Archive : https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unit...q-archive.html

Print Wikipost

UA Award tkt change/cancellation/redeposit/fees Q&As {Archive}

Search this Thread

Old May 18, 2017, 1:18 am

Unhappy

Originally Posted by jsloan
You can call UA to waitlist for the domestic segment in saver first. Do not ask about an upgrade, as you may confuse the agent -- only GS can upgrade award tickets. What you want is to waitlist for the class of service you paid for. I do not know whether or not they will charge you a fee to change the reservation if the waitlist clears.

First class -- domestic or otherwise -- won't help you with TSA Pre. For one thing, the TSA recently ended the program where frequent flyers would sometimes get TSA Pre; for another thing, class of service never made a difference in that program. If you would like Pre-Check, you can apply for it (or Global Entry) and attach the number to your reservation.

You can probably use the premium security line at your home airport. Either UA will print Premier Access on the outbound ticket based on your connecting flight being in F -- I don't know if they do that or not -- or you can probably flash the ex-SFO boarding pass to the person guarding the line.

PS: 1 to 2 hour waits at security are the norm? Please let us know where you are so we can try to avoid your airport.
OK, thanks for the waitlist info. I'll see if UA will do that. Can't hurt to try. Also thought about if at check-in they'd put the premium lane access on the Y BP. As to security wait times, to clarify I am referencing holiday periods - which I will be travelling on, i.e. 4 Jul. weekend. So, no, it's not always a long wait, but during crunch periods and holidays, Thanksgiving, XMas e.g. Really can be bad for the elderly, small children. At LHR, which I frequented in the past, such nightmarish lines in claustrophic hallways, people snaking in lines. Some fainted. Not joking. Really it was akin to a third world situation. Very tragic. But JFK, LAX, Miami, EWR, ORD, ATL, are notorious for long immigration wait times and security. I try to avoid those airports. Too old for the hassle.
Old May 21, 2017, 7:35 am

award ticket "cancel now and rebook later"

Hi, I don't have any status with United. I booked a award ticket more than 24 hours ago but now would like to postpone the trip for couple months. It seems like I have two options, either to pay $125 to cancel and redeposit the miles, or to cancel now for free and rebook later.

My question is regarding the "cancel now and rebook later" option, because I will fly the same itinerary within one year from the original ticketing date. How does this option work? And how much do I need to pay when rebook later? I am asking because per United website, it costs $125 to change a award ticket if it is within 61 days from the original departure date. So if I need to pay $125 to rebook later, why not just pay the same amount to have the miles redeposited for now?
Old May 21, 2017, 9:23 am

Originally Posted by adobe
Hi, I don't have any status with United. I booked a award ticket more than 24 hours ago but now would like to postpone the trip for couple months. It seems like I have two options, either to pay $125 to cancel and redeposit the miles, or to cancel now for free and rebook later.

My question is regarding the "cancel now and rebook later" option, because I will fly the same itinerary within one year from the original ticketing date. How does this option work? And how much do I need to pay when rebook later? I am asking because per United website, it costs $125 to change a award ticket if it is within 61 days from the original departure date. So if I need to pay $125 to rebook later, why not just pay the same amount to have the miles redeposited for now?
the only issue might be if you see availability for the future dates now and the availability might vanish in the future. so my canceling, you do that that risk.

ialto
Old May 21, 2017, 10:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

There is no longer any difference between the fees for doing a change and doing a redeposit. What you're seeing is a remnant of the previous system, where a redeposit was significantly more expensive ($200 vs $75-$100).

The correct fee should be $75 if you are 61+ days away from your scheduled travel date, and $125 if you are within 60 days, whether you want to redeposit or rebook. Unless you expect to earn status in the interim -- fees are based upon your status at the time of the request -- there's no particular reason not to choose to "cancel and rebook later.'

As IaLTO said, though, if you know your new travel dates, see inventory, and don't expect to have to change the ticket again, rebooking now is probably your safest option. Of course, if your plans change, you're out another $75-$125...
Old May 21, 2017, 11:38 am

Thanks for the explanation, but I am still confused!

Today is within the 61 days of the originally scheduled departing date. So if I cancel the award ticket now, I don't need to pay anything, I pay $125 when I try to book another award ticket later? Does the new award ticket need to have the same originating and arriving airports?

Because it is the same $125, why would anyone want to go the re-book route, isn't it easier to redeposit the miles and book again?

Also, regarding this 61 days rule. If I understand it correctly, it refers to the original departing date, i.e., if you change the ticket to depart 61 days later, as long as you are within the 61 days from the original departing date, you still need to pay $125 instead of $75, correct?

There is no longer any difference between the fees for doing a change and doing a redeposit. What you're seeing is a remnant of the previous system, where a redeposit was significantly more expensive ($200 vs $75-$100).

The correct fee should be $75 if you are 61+ days away from your scheduled travel date, and $125 if you are within 60 days, whether you want to redeposit or rebook. Unless you expect to earn status in the interim -- fees are based upon your status at the time of the request -- there's no particular reason not to choose to "cancel and rebook later.'

As IaLTO said, though, if you know your new travel dates, see inventory, and don't expect to have to change the ticket again, rebooking now is probably your safest option. Of course, if your plans change, you're out another $75-$125...
Old May 21, 2017, 11:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Thanks for the explanation, but I am still confused!

Today is within the 61 days of the originally scheduled departing date. So if I cancel the award ticket now, I don't need to pay anything, I pay $125 when I try to book another award ticket later? Does the new award ticket need to have the same originating and arriving airports?

Because it is the same $125, why would anyone want to go the re-book route, isn't it easier to redeposit the miles and book again?
There are no restrictions on the origin/destination for the new ticket. Under the old system -- which, incidentally, is still in effect for tickets booked prior to October 6 of last year -- it was more expensive to change origin/destination, but that's no longer the case.

The only reason I can think of for someone to do the "cancel and rebook later" is if they expect they will have a higher status later.

Also, regarding this 61 days rule. If I understand it correctly, it refers to the original departing date, i.e., if you change the ticket to depart 61 days later, as long as you are within the 61 days from the original departing date, you still need to pay $125 instead of $75, correct?
That's my understanding, yes.
Old May 21, 2017, 11:56 am

Thanks! So how exactly does "cancel and re-book" work?

By going this route, obviously I don't get the miles redeposited, so how am I going to use those "in limbo" miles? Can I re-book later on the United website by myself, or do I have to call United to re-book? And I will pay the $125 at the time of re-booking, but not at the time of cancellation?

There are no restrictions on the origin/destination for the new ticket. Under the old system -- which, incidentally, is still in effect for tickets booked prior to October 6 of last year -- it was more expensive to change origin/destination, but that's no longer the case.

The only reason I can think of for someone to do the "cancel and rebook later" is if they expect they will have a higher status later.
Old May 21, 2017, 1:20 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
how am I going to use those "in limbo" miles? Can I re-book later on the United website by myself
Only if you're lucky . . . the website "change flights" function doesn't work very well.

And I will pay the $125 at the time of re-booking, but not at the time of cancellation?
When you rebook. There is no charge to cancel.
Old May 21, 2017, 1:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Can I re-book later on the United website by myself, or do I have to call United to re-book?
Originally Posted by Kacee
Only if you're lucky . . . the website "change flights" function doesn't work very well.
Correct. If you're unlucky -- or if you simply prefer to speak with an agent -- you'll need to call. Tell them that you'd like to "change an award reservation," and then give them the confirmation number from your original itinerary. Basically -- it's exactly the same steps you would take to make a change to an active reservation.
Old May 26, 2017, 10:41 am

Programs: UA Platinum, Starbucks Gold, PF Chang's Warrior, Wine Century 100
On Jan 18, I purchased an MUA for 15K miles, for a flight on May 10. I was waitlisted for the upgrade but never cleared. On May 10 I cancelled the flight the morning of departure. I waited a few days expecting to see a 15K miles credit in my Mileage Plus ledger. No refund appeared, so I emailed the MPSC about it and they said I was refunded the 15K on May 11. The MP ledger shows no entry on or around May 11 -- but if I look back to Jan 18 I do see a 15K redeposit. Do they back-date the redeposits to the original day of purchase? I did a bunch of bookings back in Jan and it's hard to tell what award/upgrade goes with what rez since the MP ledger does not show the associated PNR.
Old May 26, 2017, 11:02 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by paule123
Do they back-date the redeposits to the original day of purchase?
Yes.
Old May 29, 2017, 10:33 am

Programs: UA 1K/MM, EK Gold, CX Silver
Partner award ticket cancellation

Hi,

Partner award ticket issued from 1K account for a family member:

1) Any cancellation fees ?
2) Any change fees (assuming appropriate partner availability for change)?
3)) How long before travel can partner award ticket be cancelled ? (LH, LX, TG, SQ)

thanks
Old May 29, 2017, 10:41 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by sabbasolo
Partner award ticket issued from 1K account for a family member:

1) Any cancellation fees ?
2) Any change fees (assuming appropriate partner availability for change)?
3)) How long before travel can partner award ticket be cancelled ? (LH, LX, TG, SQ)
No award fees for awards funded from 1K account.
Awards (UA or Partner) can be cancelled any time before travel / flight closes (but best not to wait to the very, very last minute)
Old May 30, 2017, 3:15 pm

I was hoping someone could check my logic regarding close-in booking fees:

So in the past week it seems that the online trick for avoiding the close-in booking fee has been shut down. I read a report from a few days ago that it was still possible to do it over the phone, but I'm not sure if it would work for a flight leaving in under 48 hours.

Due to a death in the family I need to fly Thursday morning, and there is actually a ton of saver space available. Would it be possible to book the same itinerary in, say, September and then call in to change it to this Thursday through Sunday? Or does the fact that the flight I'm changing to leaves so soon make it impossible to do so?

If it comes down to it I can pay the fee or transfer some MR to book via Aeroplan, but I'd prefer to burn some UA miles without paying an extra $75.
Old Jun 1, 2017, 12:19 pm

I want to confirm this before I decide to book...

Having a hard time finding availability, for a business saver award on BR for the date I want. But there is an early morning flight the next day I'm tempted to book. It's really far out, so if I book this... and another flight pops up with availability on the date I want, before 21 days out... I can change the award for a $75 fee, even though it's not on United Metal?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.