Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA Award tkt change/cancellation/redeposit/fees Q&As: No fees pre-travel

Old Jan 19, 2017, 10:35 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Award ticketing options/service fees
There are no longer any fees for worldwide UA award cancellation or mileage redeposit done pre-travel including UA partner awards

8 Nov 2022
As part of the 2023 MileagePlus program updates award redeposit fees are being removed for all levels beginning 1 Jan 2023
**This does not apply to redepositing after a no-show**

Originally Posted by United award ticket redeposit fee removal
All redeposit fees associated with canceling award travel have been removed, so you have more choice and control over managing plans. United is committed to meeting customer expectations by providing more flexibility throughout the travel experience.
https://www.united.com/en/us/fly/mil...whats-new.html

https://www.united.com/ual/en/us/fly...icketing.html

Archive: UA Award tkt change/cancellation/redeposit/fees Q&As: No fees pre-travel
Print Wikipost

UA Award tkt change/cancellation/redeposit/fees Q&As: No fees pre-travel

Old Sep 2, 2023, 9:01 am

I've booked IND-IAD-MUC in LH J (88k miles I class) with IND-IAD in XN. There is now IAD-MUC in F available but the IND-IAD is no longer available in XN class. Will I be able to upgrade to LH F by paying the mileage difference while maintaining the current reservation or will an "upgrade" to LH F not be available if IND-IAD is no longer available?
Old Sep 2, 2023, 10:54 am

Programs: AA EXP, lowly UA 1K; Hyatt Diamond, SPG Gold, Hilton Gold; National EC, Hertz PC
Quick question. Can you reprice awards easily if the points drop (i.e. without cancelling and rebooking)? In this case, I will have it set up as a r/t with an excursionist fare. I am somewhat confident that the return leg will fall in points required but not until after I fly my first leg.
Old Sep 2, 2023, 11:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by adambadam
Quick question. Can you reprice awards easily if the points drop (i.e. without cancelling and rebooking)? In this case, I will have it set up as a r/t with an excursionist fare. I am somewhat confident that the return leg will fall in points required but not until after I fly my first leg.
Not really, no.

In most cases, you can't just reprice -- you have to change to another flight and then change back. IME, if you have flown only the first leg and not the Excursionist, the online pricing isn't likely to calculate properly. And if you've flown both of them, it's only about 50/50 whether or not the online tool will even work. You may, however, be able to reprice without an intermediate change if you're going from a standard award to a saver award.

If you're using the ExPerk as designed -- the free segment makes sense with the others -- then you may be able to call to get the change made for you.
adambadam likes this.
Old Sep 3, 2023, 8:20 am

Programs: AA EXP, lowly UA 1K; Hyatt Diamond, SPG Gold, Hilton Gold; National EC, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by jsloan
Not really, no.

In most cases, you can't just reprice -- you have to change to another flight and then change back. IME, if you have flown only the first leg and not the Excursionist, the online pricing isn't likely to calculate properly. And if you've flown both of them, it's only about 50/50 whether or not the online tool will even work. You may, however, be able to reprice without an intermediate change if you're going from a standard award to a saver award.

If you're using the ExPerk as designed -- the free segment makes sense with the others -- then you may be able to call to get the change made for you.
Thanks. So if I do the first option and swap to a different flight will it refund a reduction in miles or just not charge additional?
Old Sep 24, 2023, 12:34 pm

Ended up changing my final leg of a US-EUR-EUR-US (middle leg was free excursionist) trip to a flight at a better time that was also less miles and was automatically refunded the miles difference. This was after I had already completed the first two legs. All via WWW. Was very impressed by UA that this worked so seamlessly.
jsloan likes this.
Old Sep 25, 2023, 5:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Ended up changing my final leg of a US-EUR-EUR-US (middle leg was free excursionist) trip to a flight at a better time that was also less miles and was automatically refunded the miles difference. This was after I had already completed the first two legs. All via WWW. Was very impressed by UA that this worked so seamlessly.
wow, UA IT working as designed? You should also buy a lottery ticket
Old Sep 25, 2023, 5:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Thanks. So if I do the first option and swap to a different flight will it refund a reduction in miles or just not charge additional?
Sorry, missed this question. Any flight change is supposed to result in a reprice and a refund or add-collect as necessary. So, if you're flying AUS-HKG / HKG-MNL / MNL-AUS, and the price of the MNL-AUS leg drops after you've already in Manila, my suggestion was to change it to a different flight and then change it back to the one you want, at which point you should be refunded the difference. Generally, UA will not allow you to reprice a flight you're already on.
SPN Lifer likes this.

Last edited by jsloan; Sep 25, 2023 at 11:19 pm Reason: Not that it matters, but I should honor the regions. :)
Old Sep 26, 2023, 8:10 am
guw

I have an award ticket booked online with miles for three passengers including myself. Can this be modified by an agent to drop myself from the ticket? I don't seem to be able to do that online.

Solved: found a way to do it online. One can cancel a ticket for selected passengers only.
Old Sep 26, 2023, 9:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by guw
I have an award ticket booked online with miles for three passengers including myself. Can this be modified by an agent to drop myself from the ticket? I don't seem to be able to do that online.

Solved: found a way to do it online. One can cancel a ticket for selected passengers only.
correct.

I think you can still also split pax from a PNR online, then cancel the one with just that pax.
Old Sep 27, 2023, 7:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Over the years, I have had award ticket refunds not completely going through - usually when this happens, the miles were redposited immediately but the taxes would not come back to the credit card. I have always been able to call, the agent would see the issue and take care of it. (I was 1K but no more.)

I have this problem again. I did a chat session, the agent seemed clueless. Eventually, she said it was taken care of. Nope. I called last night and the agent said everything looked fine and "because you are a valued One Million Mile flyer, you can talk to our Refund Department directly when it opens"

Has something changed? Or I just have not been able to get a good agent like the 1K agents? Have others encountered this recently? The ticket was changed once from the original - additional miles collected but no additional taxes. Then it was cancelled. Maybe that broke it? I guess talking calling the Refund Department during business hours is the only way to fix this?

Thanks.
Old Oct 16, 2023, 2:13 pm

Location: Was once BA Gold, Fallen to BA Blue, and humble UA peasant
I was looking to see if I could find the answer to this question, either on United's site or in this thread, but it's inconclusive! So, if I book award travel and then pay for better seats such as Economy Plus, are those refundable if I need to postpone or cancel the trip? Thanks
Old Oct 16, 2023, 2:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Gorby
I was looking to see if I could find the answer to this question, either on United's site or in this thread, but it's inconclusive! So, if I book award travel and then pay for better seats such as Economy Plus, are those refundable if I need to postpone or cancel the trip? Thanks
Yes. E+ fees will be refunded if you do not take the trip.
Gorby likes this.
Old Oct 16, 2023, 3:13 pm

Yes but I just did this and was told I had to go online and submit a refund request. But that might have been because I upgraded and changed days rather than outright cancelled. I can't remember if previous times when I cancelled if I got the refund automatically or had to submit the request.
Gorby likes this.
Old Nov 25, 2023, 1:03 pm

This change policy is great. I had the non-stop CDG-SFO, saw availability was 10k less per person, so I changed to a 1 stop, and then immediately changed back to the nonstop.

Saved 20k for both of us. Legit.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Nov 25, 2023, 2:01 pm

It wouldn't let you get the flights until you were off them? i.e. You couldn't have 2 tickets for yourself on one flight? I always wondered about that.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.