Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Award tkt change/cancellation/redeposit/fees Q&As: no fees up to 31 days pre-travel

Award tkt change/cancellation/redeposit/fees Q&As: no fees up to 31 days pre-travel

Hide Wikipost
Old Jul 13, 22, 7:43 am   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Wiki Link
Have an upcoming trip you want to cancel and redeposit the miles -- but subject to the 30 day or less cancel fee?
Just use the free change to move to a flight further in the future (>31 days) not subject to the cancellation fee and then cancel / redeposit for free.
Note the change does not need to be to the same itin or the same mileage cost. If the change is to a cheaper mileage ticket, the extra miles will be redeposited for free.

1 Jan 2021
Originally Posted by charlesonmission View Post
Has this just been updated? https://www.united.com/ual/en/us/fly...ticketing.html

Fee for making a change or canceling with redeposit 31 or more days before departure = No Fee
Fee for making a change to a ticket for travel originating in the U.S. 30 or fewer days before departure = No fee
Fee for canceling a ticket for travel originating in the U.S. with miles redeposit 30 or fewer days before departure = $125
Fee for making a change to or canceling international tickets that do not originate in the U.S. 30 or fewer days before departure = $125

That seems to be what we are expecting. Nice that the 31 day or more cancellation is also no fee even if the flight doesn't originate in the US. I wonder if giving agents the exact URL so that they could look it up is something that they would be able to do.

23 Dec 2020
Award flight redeposit fees waived
Were waiving redeposit fees for award flights departing on or before March 31, 2021, that are canceled at least 30 days before the departure date. You can also change your award flight with no fee. Learn more about changing or canceling your award flight.
31 Aug

Were waiving redeposit fees for award flights departing on or before December 31, 2020, that are canceled at least 30 days before the departure date. You can also change your award flight with no fee. Learn more about changing or canceling your award flight.
30 June
If youre planning to cancel your award travel, were waiving all redeposit fees for award flights with travel dates on or before July 31, 2020. Were also waiving redeposit fees for award flights with travel dates on or before December 31, 2020, that are canceled at least 30 days before the departure date. You can also change your award flight with no fee. Learn more about changing or canceling your award flight.
End of July this was changed to 31 August 2020

28 May
If youre planning to cancel your award travel, were waiving all redeposit fees for award flights with travel dates on or before June 30, 2020. Were also waiving redeposit fees for award flights with travel dates on or before December 31, 2020, that are changed or canceled at least 30 days before the departure date. Learn more about changing or canceling your award flight.

as of 05 April 2020
We{UA} have removed some redeposit fees for the rest of the year.
  • We are currently waiving all award redeposit fees for travel through end of May 2020.
  • We are now also waiving all redeposit fees for award ticket cancellations made more than 30 days before departure for the remainder of 2020.

Fees for a change or redeposit:
  • There are fees for some changes and redeposit , so please check the chart below for details. These fees apply to MileagePlus awards on United, United Express, Star Alliance airline partners and other airline partners.
  • When requesting a change for more than one ticket, the fee applies to each ticket separately. If two people are traveling together and make a change, for example, there will be a fee for both.
  • When flying with one of our Star Alliance partners, changes must be made at least 24 hours before departure. {but in many cases much less will work -- somewhat YMMV -- but the rules state 24 hours}
  • Fees are based on the status of the mileage account holder at the time of the request
  • Fee for canceling / redeposit a mileage upgrade

UA's Award ticketing options/service fees

With Changes To UA MileagePlus Coming On NOV 15, 2019 (Dynamic UA Awards - No More Chart)close-in booking fees will disappear

Close-in fee trick:
Multiple reports this no longer works.
{Book outside the close-in window and then change "for free" in the 24-hour change free window}

Award tickets booked prior to Oct 6, 2016 will be covered by the old pre-Oct 6 rules but some changes (such as changing the first segment} will re-ticket the award and make it subject to the new rules

Related thread: Deadline to cancel/redeposit award ticket...?

Previous thread -- General award ticket change/cancellation/redeposit/fees questions [2015-2016]

Archive : https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unit...q-archive.html

Print Wikipost

Old Jul 4, 22, 2:14 pm

Programs: DL DM; 2MM
Originally Posted by tubulus View Post
Hi, I just want to confirm I understand this correctly before I transfer a ton of miles in from chase to book an award flight (multi city international polaris originating in the US).
I can cancel and get miles redeposited 31 days out no fee.
If something happens last minute that I need to cancel, I can change the flights to something further in the future for no fee, and then cancel with redeposit for no fee. So effectively I can cancel at any time. Is that correct?
Originally Posted by jsloan View Post
Yes, that's correct.
My question is about the last part of the above quote in red:
What are the options if you started your award flight(s), but need to cancel only the return segment(s) of your roundtrip award booking less than 30 days out - say i.e. last minute ?
Old Jul 4, 22, 2:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Travelomania View Post
My question is about the last part of the above quote in red:
What are the options if you started your award flight(s), but need to cancel only the return segment(s) of your roundtrip award booking less than 30 days out - say i.e. last minute ?
Its no different than cancelling the outbound, except that you cannot get a refund for the return segment. (You cant turn a round-trip booking into a one-way booking after departure). However, you can change it to another flight, and if the new flight costs fewer miles, the difference will be refunded.
Old Jul 5, 22, 2:13 pm

Programs: DL DM; 2MM
Its no different than cancelling the outbound, except that you cannot get a refund for the return segment. (You cant turn a round-trip booking into a one-way booking after departure). However, you can change it to another flight, and if the new flight costs fewer miles, the difference will be refunded.
Thank you very much !
jsloan likes this.
Old Jul 7, 22, 9:24 am

Programs: ,BW Rewards, Skymiles, Aeroplan, SPG, IHG, Marriott, Club Carlson, Alaska Airlines
Can I buy a refundable ticket and cancel the ticket. Instead of taking a cash refund , ask for a future travel credit ? I am trying to take advantage of a promo from Amex Canada , Charge C $ 500 to the card and get a credit of C $ 250.
Old Jul 7, 22, 9:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mgn2000 View Post
Can I buy a refundable ticket and cancel the ticket. Instead of taking a cash refund , ask for a future travel credit ? I am trying to take advantage of a promo from Amex Canada , Charge C $ 500 to the card and get a credit of C $ 250.
In theory, yes. However, if you dont want a refund, its much easier just to buy a non-refundable fare.
Old Jul 7, 22, 3:15 pm
Moderator: United Airlines; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 1.85MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by mgn2000 View Post
Can I buy a refundable ticket and cancel the ticket. Instead of taking a cash refund , ask for a future travel credit ? ....
As mentioned this is easier to do with a non-refundable ticket and after 24 hours you will receive a FFC which can only be used by the named traveler. UA does not issue ETCs for flight changes any more.
Old Jul 8, 22, 9:05 am

UA 1K; if I book an award I know I can redeposit my miles for no additional charge but do the taxes come back to OFOP or as a credit?

2nd question (and I realize not the right thread but) 3 pax headed US->Germany in Y on 4Y connecting to to LH; what is the baggage allotment (1 1K, 1 Silver, 1 general member)?
Old Jul 8, 22, 10:00 am
Moderator: United Airlines; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 1.85MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by audio-nut View Post
UA 1K; if I book an award I know I can redeposit my miles for no additional charge but do the taxes come back to OFOP or as a credit? ...
yes

Originally Posted by audio-nut View Post
3 pax headed US->Germany in Y on 4Y connecting to to LH; what is the baggage allotment (1 1K, 1 Silver, 1 general member)?
The standard ticket bag allowance (4Y is not *A )
Old Jul 13, 22, 11:26 am

Award change policy.

If I book an award ticket, and took the outbound flight, and would like to change the date of returning flight (for cheaper mile cost), is this type of change free after departing flight was taken? Can this be done online and put the miles difference back to my account?

SFO-TPE-SFO,... took SFO-TPE leg, and would like to change TPE-SFO from UA to BR due to lower cost of miles because BR availability pops up as flight date gets closer.

When UA website says 30 days before departure, does it mean 30 days prior to the outbound leg of roundtrip ticket or 30 days prior to each leg of the itinerary (i.e. each leg has its own policy period)?

Last edited by uclacolumbiaunc; Jul 13, 22 at 11:40 am
Old Jul 13, 22, 12:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by uclacolumbiaunc View Post
.When UA website says 30 days before departure, does it mean 30 days prior to the outbound leg of roundtrip ticket or 30 days prior to each leg of the itinerary (i.e. each leg has its own policy period)?
The former.
Old Jul 13, 22, 1:12 pm

Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH View Post
The former.
So it's better to book two one-way rather than 1 roundtrip if you are certain there could be change in return flight?
Old Jul 13, 22, 1:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

So it's better to book two one-way rather than 1 roundtrip if you are certain there could be change in return flight?
Assuming youre not making use of the Excursionist Perk:

If starting from outside the US, certainly. For travel originating in the US, it still makes sense to book as two one-ways if youre sure that you will know your updated return details at least 30 days prior to the return date that you purchase.
Old Jul 13, 22, 2:38 pm

Assuming youre not making use of the Excursionist Perk:

If starting from outside the US, certainly. For travel originating in the US, it still makes sense to book as two one-ways if youre sure that you will know your updated return details at least 30 days prior to the return date that you purchase.
If the return one-way originates from TPE outside of USA, would the free change still apply?
Old Jul 13, 22, 2:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

If the return one-way originates from TPE outside of USA, would the free change still apply?
Award changes prior to 30 days before departure are free regardless of origin.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Jul 19, 22, 12:55 pm

Quick Q

UA 1K. I need to rebook a US->Germany award for travel in 2 weeks. I am going to rebook to a very similar flight but the price has gone up 3,500 miles a ticket...if I "Cancel and rebook later" do I have to pay the additional miles? If I do, what's the advantage to "Cancel and rebook later" vs "Cancel trip now and redeposit miles"?

Search this Thread