Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Award tkt change/cancellation/redeposit/fees Q&As: no fees up to 31 days pre-travel

Award tkt change/cancellation/redeposit/fees Q&As: no fees up to 31 days pre-travel

Hide Wikipost
Old Jun 3, 22, 1:46 pm   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Wiki Link
Have an upcoming trip you want to cancel and redeposit the miles -- but subject to the 30 day or less cancel fee?
Just use the free change to move to a flight further in the future (>31 days) not subject to the cancellation fee and then cancel / redeposit for free.
Note the change does not need to be to the same itin or the same mileage cost. If the change is to a cheaper mileage ticket, the extra miles will be redeposited for free.

1 Jan 2021
Originally Posted by charlesonmission View Post
Has this just been updated? https://www.united.com/ual/en/us/fly...ticketing.html

Fee for making a change or canceling with redeposit 31 or more days before departure = No Fee
Fee for making a change to a ticket for travel originating in the U.S. 30 or fewer days before departure = No fee
Fee for canceling a ticket for travel originating in the U.S. with miles redeposit 30 or fewer days before departure = $125
Fee for making a change to or canceling international tickets that do not originate in the U.S. 30 or fewer days before departure = $125

That seems to be what we are expecting. Nice that the 31 day or more cancellation is also no fee even if the flight doesn't originate in the US. I wonder if giving agents the exact URL so that they could look it up is something that they would be able to do.

23 Dec 2020
Award flight redeposit fees waived
We’re waiving redeposit fees for award flights departing on or before March 31, 2021, that are canceled at least 30 days before the departure date. You can also change your award flight with no fee. Learn more about changing or canceling your award flight.
31 Aug

We’re waiving redeposit fees for award flights departing on or before December 31, 2020, that are canceled at least 30 days before the departure date. You can also change your award flight with no fee. Learn more about changing or canceling your award flight.
30 June
If you’re planning to cancel your award travel, we’re waiving all redeposit fees for award flights with travel dates on or before July 31, 2020. We’re also waiving redeposit fees for award flights with travel dates on or before December 31, 2020, that are canceled at least 30 days before the departure date. You can also change your award flight with no fee. Learn more about changing or canceling your award flight.
End of July this was changed to 31 August 2020

28 May
If you’re planning to cancel your award travel, we’re waiving all redeposit fees for award flights with travel dates on or before June 30, 2020. We’re also waiving redeposit fees for award flights with travel dates on or before December 31, 2020, that are changed or canceled at least 30 days before the departure date. Learn more about changing or canceling your award flight.

as of 05 April 2020
We{UA} have removed some redeposit fees for the rest of the year.
  • We are currently waiving all award redeposit fees for travel through end of May 2020.
  • We are now also waiving all redeposit fees for award ticket cancellations made more than 30 days before departure for the remainder of 2020.

Fees for a change or redeposit:
  • There are fees for some changes and redeposit , so please check the chart below for details. These fees apply to MileagePlus® awards on United, United Express®, Star Alliance® airline partners and other airline partners.
  • When requesting a change for more than one ticket, the fee applies to each ticket separately. If two people are traveling together and make a change, for example, there will be a fee for both.
  • When flying with one of our Star Alliance partners, changes must be made at least 24 hours before departure. {but in many cases much less will work -- somewhat YMMV -- but the rules state 24 hours}
  • Fees are based on the status of the mileage account holder at the time of the request
  • Fee for canceling / redeposit a mileage upgrade

UA's Award ticketing options/service fees

With Changes To UA MileagePlus Coming On NOV 15, 2019 (Dynamic UA Awards - No More Chart)close-in booking fees will disappear

Close-in fee trick:
Multiple reports this no longer works.
{Book outside the close-in window and then change "for free" in the 24-hour change free window}

Award tickets booked prior to Oct 6, 2016 will be covered by the old pre-Oct 6 rules but some changes (such as changing the first segment} will re-ticket the award and make it subject to the new rules

Related thread: Deadline to cancel/redeposit award ticket...?

Previous thread -- General award ticket change/cancellation/redeposit/fees questions [2015-2016]

Archive : https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unit...q-archive.html

Print Wikipost

Old Jun 17, 22, 8:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by tubulus View Post
Hi, I just want to confirm I understand this correctly before I transfer a ton of miles in from chase to book an award flight (multi city international polaris originating in the US).
I can cancel and get miles redeposited 31 days out no fee.
If something happens last minute that I need to cancel, I can change the flights to something further in the future for no fee, and then cancel with redeposit for no fee. So effectively I can cancel at any time. Is that correct?
Yes, that's correct.
Old Jun 17, 22, 12:59 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

"The mileage value will remain valid for one year after the original ticket date."

I went to cancel an award flight that's about 90 days out and was given the option to Cancel and rebook later, with the statement "The mileage value will remain valid for one year after the original ticket date." What does that mean? I am almost sure not to book an award flight that would use all the miles of the flight I will cancel within a year of the original booking date. It sounds to me like I should "Cancel trip now and redeposit miles" so the miles don't expire.
Old Jun 17, 22, 1:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by serpens View Post
I went to cancel an award flight that's about 90 days out and was given the option to Cancel and rebook later, with the statement "The mileage value will remain valid for one year after the original ticket date." What does that mean? I am almost sure not to book an award flight that would use all the miles of the flight I will cancel within a year of the original booking date. It sounds to me like I should "Cancel trip now and redeposit miles" so the miles don't expire.
There's no advantage to delaying the redeposit when there's no fee being charged.

You wouldn't need to use all of the miles within one year -- any excess miles would be refunded automatically at that point anyway -- but it's easier just to redeposit them now so you don't have to keep track of the unused ticket.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Jun 17, 22, 1:17 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by jsloan View Post
There's no advantage to delaying the redeposit when there's no fee being charged.

[...] it's easier just to redeposit them now so you don't have to keep track of the unused ticket.
Thank you so much.
jsloan likes this.
Old Jun 23, 22, 4:55 pm

Programs: United currently plat
quick kine advice

I’m trying to figure out how to optimize a trip ahead of the 30 day penalty zone on changes. This is for OW travel +\-3 days of 9/7/22

I’m currently booked OZ ICN-HNL nonstop in X (mp saver award 30,000)

Would you keep the above booking and leave well enough alone ~or~

spend 110k miles on ICN-NRT-HNL in J on OZ and UA? (this is pricing out at $1,850 cash so 1.6cpm not fabulous)

~or~ spend $820 on an M fare on NH ticket stock and hope for a mileage upgrade with UA miles ?

Id love to spend 110k on NH > UA but i’m not seeing any of that so far

There are 55k J awards ICN-KIX-GUM-HNL no no thanks
Old Jun 26, 22, 2:49 pm

Programs: United Platinum & 2.0MM; Marriott Bonvoy Platinum and Lifetime Gold; Hyatt and Hilton Honors peon
Hi,

I have a roundtrip in J this coming autumn for flights from the US to BKK. I plan to add an excursionist leg once I get the trip figured out better). I was uncertain when I booked this roundtrip ticket if the return would work, so I subsequently booked a one-way return ticket in J from another city in Asia to the US.

Now, several months later, it does appear that returning on the one-way ticket will be the better option for me. My questions are as follows:

1) Can I just cancel the return portion of my roundtrip ticket online, without affecting the outbound leg or award pricing?

2) Can i call United afterwards and ask them to combine my one-way return ticket with the original outbound flight in the same PNR? (By doing that, I assume I would now be able to still add an Explorist leg, which I would not be able to do if I had two one-way tickets).

Thanks in advance.

John H
Old Jun 26, 22, 6:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jh6000 View Post
Hi,

I have a roundtrip in J this coming autumn for flights from the US to BKK. I plan to add an excursionist leg once I get the trip figured out better). I was uncertain when I booked this roundtrip ticket if the return would work, so I subsequently booked a one-way return ticket in J from another city in Asia to the US.

Now, several months later, it does appear that returning on the one-way ticket will be the better option for me. My questions are as follows:

1) Can I just cancel the return portion of my roundtrip ticket online, without affecting the outbound leg or award pricing?

2) Can i call United afterwards and ask them to combine my one-way return ticket with the original outbound flight in the same PNR? (By doing that, I assume I would now be able to still add an Explorist leg, which I would not be able to do if I had two one-way tickets).

Thanks in advance.

John H
1) Possibly, as long as you haven’t begun travel yet. (If you’ve started travel, definitely not). (It’s not entirely clear if UA is willing to do this; there have been several similar questions recently, but I don’t remember seeing any definitive responses).
2) Almost certainly not, and 0 chance whatsoever if there’s a partner leg involved (unless there’s still award inventory, in which case I suspect you wouldn’t be asking).

Also, booking a speculative return ticket is specifically against UA’s contract of carriage, so calling them and trying to get them to take care of you after the fact is unlikely to work.
Old Jun 27, 22, 9:35 pm

Programs: United Platinum & 2.0MM; Marriott Bonvoy Platinum and Lifetime Gold; Hyatt and Hilton Honors peon
Thanks, jsloan -- appreciate the response and education!

John H
jsloan likes this.
Old Jun 29, 22, 10:59 am

Programs: Free agent, United 1K, Bonvoy Gold
Question answered, thanks FT

Last edited by bioyuki; Jun 29, 22 at 1:36 pm Reason: question answered
Old Jun 29, 22, 11:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by bioyuki View Post
My partner is scheduled to fly CDG-CPH-SFO on 7/3 and 7/4 on SAS, but with the looming SAS pilot's strike, I'm looking for backup options. Looking at burning some miles to book him on UA CDG-SFO. I've never cancelled an award ticket before, so asking what happens if SAS doesn't strike and I cancel the UA award very last minute. Based on the United site, it appears I'd just pay a $50 redeposit/service fee (currently Premier Platinum) if I cancel anytime before departure? Can someone validate this, as a one way J ticket is almost 200k miles .

Thanks FT!
That's correct. However, booking a ticket without an intent to fly is a violation of UA's Contract of Carriage. If they figure out what you've done, they could conceivably close your account for it. (More likely, they'd just cancel the ticket, but you never know).
Old Jun 29, 22, 11:12 am
Moderator: United Airlines; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 1.85MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by bioyuki View Post
My partner is scheduled to fly CDG-CPH-SFO on 7/3 and 7/4 on SAS, but with the looming SAS pilot's strike, I'm looking for backup options. Looking at burning some miles to book him on UA CDG-SFO. I've never cancelled an award ticket before, so asking what happens if SAS doesn't strike and I cancel the UA award very last minute. Based on the United site, it appears I'd just pay a $50 redeposit/service fee (currently Premier Platinum) if I cancel anytime before departure? Can someone validate this, as a one way J ticket is almost 200k miles . ...
That's a correct reading.
Before cancelling, check to see if changing to any sort of award ticket (any route, any lesser mileage) more than 31 days in the future can be done for free. UA says there will be the same fee for changes (for international originating awards) but some have reported no fee. If no fee and the ticket is more the 31 days in the future, you may be able to cancel for free.
Old Jun 29, 22, 1:32 pm

editing for accidental post

Last edited by bioyuki; Jun 29, 22 at 1:33 pm Reason: accidental post
Old Jun 29, 22, 1:49 pm

Thanks all, we intend to fly, and backup has now become primary option. I'm done with SAS and the uncertainty, and will just take the refund and fly UA instead.
jsloan and SPN Lifer like this.
Old Jul 1, 22, 11:35 pm

My award flight got canceled and I requested a miles redeposit over 12 days ago. Does it really take that long to get it manually processed?
Old Jul 2, 22, 12:46 pm

Programs: DL DM; 2MM
Could someone please confirm the following:

1. If I book a RT award originating in the US - but with the return leg originating outside the US on a partner airline and request a date change to the return leg - will there be a change fee ?
As I read the new rules, it would mean NO change fee ?
2. And if I would book 2 separate OWs, will there be the $125 (no status) change fee for the inbound OW originating outside the US on a partner airline when changing the departure date ?

Search this Thread