Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Award tkt change/cancellation/redeposit/fees Q&As: no fees up to 31 days pre-travel

Award tkt change/cancellation/redeposit/fees Q&As: no fees up to 31 days pre-travel

Hide Wikipost
Old Aug 25, 22, 4:09 am   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Wiki Link
Have an upcoming trip you want to cancel and redeposit the miles -- but subject to the 30 day or less cancel fee?
Just use the free change to move to a flight further in the future (>31 days) not subject to the cancellation fee and then cancel / redeposit for free.
Note the change does not need to be to the same itin or the same mileage cost. If the change is to a cheaper mileage ticket, the extra miles will be redeposited for free.

1 Jan 2021
Originally Posted by charlesonmission View Post
Has this just been updated? https://www.united.com/ual/en/us/fly...ticketing.html

Fee for making a change or canceling with redeposit 31 or more days before departure = No Fee
Fee for making a change to a ticket for travel originating in the U.S. 30 or fewer days before departure = No fee
Fee for canceling a ticket for travel originating in the U.S. with miles redeposit 30 or fewer days before departure = $125
Fee for making a change to or canceling international tickets that do not originate in the U.S. 30 or fewer days before departure = $125

That seems to be what we are expecting. Nice that the 31 day or more cancellation is also no fee even if the flight doesn't originate in the US. I wonder if giving agents the exact URL so that they could look it up is something that they would be able to do.

23 Dec 2020
Award flight redeposit fees waived
Were waiving redeposit fees for award flights departing on or before March 31, 2021, that are canceled at least 30 days before the departure date. You can also change your award flight with no fee. Learn more about changing or canceling your award flight.
31 Aug

Were waiving redeposit fees for award flights departing on or before December 31, 2020, that are canceled at least 30 days before the departure date. You can also change your award flight with no fee. Learn more about changing or canceling your award flight.
30 June
If youre planning to cancel your award travel, were waiving all redeposit fees for award flights with travel dates on or before July 31, 2020. Were also waiving redeposit fees for award flights with travel dates on or before December 31, 2020, that are canceled at least 30 days before the departure date. You can also change your award flight with no fee. Learn more about changing or canceling your award flight.
End of July this was changed to 31 August 2020

28 May
If youre planning to cancel your award travel, were waiving all redeposit fees for award flights with travel dates on or before June 30, 2020. Were also waiving redeposit fees for award flights with travel dates on or before December 31, 2020, that are changed or canceled at least 30 days before the departure date. Learn more about changing or canceling your award flight.

as of 05 April 2020
We{UA} have removed some redeposit fees for the rest of the year.
  • We are currently waiving all award redeposit fees for travel through end of May 2020.
  • We are now also waiving all redeposit fees for award ticket cancellations made more than 30 days before departure for the remainder of 2020.

Fees for a change or redeposit:
  • There are fees for some changes and redeposit , so please check the chart below for details. These fees apply to MileagePlus awards on United, United Express, Star Alliance airline partners and other airline partners.
  • When requesting a change for more than one ticket, the fee applies to each ticket separately. If two people are traveling together and make a change, for example, there will be a fee for both.
  • When flying with one of our Star Alliance partners, changes must be made at least 24 hours before departure. {but in many cases much less will work -- somewhat YMMV -- but the rules state 24 hours}
  • Fees are based on the status of the mileage account holder at the time of the request
  • Fee for canceling / redeposit a mileage upgrade

UA's Award ticketing options/service fees

With Changes To UA MileagePlus Coming On NOV 15, 2019 (Dynamic UA Awards - No More Chart)close-in booking fees will disappear

Close-in fee trick:
Multiple reports this no longer works.
{Book outside the close-in window and then change "for free" in the 24-hour change free window}

Award tickets booked prior to Oct 6, 2016 will be covered by the old pre-Oct 6 rules but some changes (such as changing the first segment} will re-ticket the award and make it subject to the new rules

Related thread: Deadline to cancel/redeposit award ticket...?

Previous thread -- General award ticket change/cancellation/redeposit/fees questions [2015-2016]

Archive : https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unit...q-archive.html

Print Wikipost

Old Jan 26, 21, 3:58 pm

Award Cancellation For Flights In Canada?

I have an award flight next week going from Toronto to Vancouver via Air Canada. What's the current policy on getting a refund (for both miles and the service fee) if I cancel the trip?
Old Jan 26, 21, 4:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CO Platinum 1K, United 1K, SPG LT Platinum, National Executive Elite, Platinum TSA Hater
Assuming you are already inside Canada, unless the flight is canceled, the current policy would be the terms and conditions attached to a mileage redeposit based on your membership level.
Old Jan 26, 21, 6:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by bocastephen View Post
Assuming you are already inside Canada, unless the flight is canceled, the current policy would be the terms and conditions attached to a mileage redeposit based on your membership level.
True, however, you can also change the flight for free.

And if one were to change the flight to a date that's in, say, March, it would then be 31+ days away, which should allow a free redeposit.
SPN Lifer and nexusCFX like this.
Old Jan 26, 21, 11:31 pm

So I can change the flight to a different date (but must be for the same departure city / destination), but I can't do a cancellation? And what would happen to the service fee on top of the miles themselves? I am a Silver if this makes any difference.

There are a couple of pages on the United website dealing with this issue, but most of them haven't been updated since Covid started so I am just trying to make sense of what the actual policy in practice is now.
Old Jan 27, 21, 12:41 am
Moderator: United Airlines; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 1.85MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by bigcahonna View Post
So I can change the flight to a different date (but must be for the same departure city / destination), but I can't do a cancellation? And what would happen to the service fee on top of the miles themselves? ...
Presently there is a loophole in the rules
You can change for free but you need to be 31 days in advance to redeposit.

So if you take your upcoming flight and change to any fight(s) at least 31 days out, you can cancel and redeposit for free. See the chart here

Note the new flight(s) do not need to be the same cities, just a valid set of flights

Don't know how long this will exist but would not wait too long -- for awhile it was limited to departures before 31 March 2021 but reports are UA has extended that.
jsloan and milesforhire like this.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Jan 27, 21 at 12:49 am Reason: link
Old Jan 29, 21, 11:31 am

Turkish Airlines - Flight cancelled - Advice on rebooking in United

Hi,

I have a Business Class award ticket from SFO to BLR in the last week of Feb.

Itinerary:

SFO - IST - Turkish Airlines
IST - DEL - Turkish Airlines
DEL - BLR - Vistara

My second Turkish Airlines flight from IST to Delhi is canceled.

I called United support, and they say I get to pay the difference in miles, which is 86K so that they can put me on a different United flight in First Class.

Question:

Flight cancellation was involuntary, and I hoped United to take care of the rebooking without additional charges/ miles. Any suggestions here?

Thanks!
Old Jan 29, 21, 11:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mickey7 View Post
Flight cancellation was involuntary, and I hoped United to take care of the rebooking without additional charges/ miles. Any suggestions here?

Thanks!
Welcome to FlyerTalk!

HUCA (Hang Up and Call Again), or use Twitter. Your request is entirely reasonable and within UA's policy, as long as the cancellation appears in their system. (They won't make a change based upon a news report that it's cancelled, for example). You should not have to pay the mileage difference for an involuntary change.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Jan 29, 21, 1:41 pm

Thank you!!
I did HUCA, and I received the same response. The only options they are giving me are to cancel the flight to get back my miles or pay the difference in miles.
Old Jan 29, 21, 2:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Thank you!!
I did HUCA, and I received the same response. The only options they are giving me are to cancel the flight to get back my miles or pay the difference in miles.
That's very odd. Are they giving you a reason? Does the flight appear as canceled when you look at your itinerary on United.com?
Old Jan 29, 21, 4:07 pm

Originally Posted by jsloan View Post
That's very odd. Are they giving you a reason? Does the flight appear as canceled when you look at your itinerary on United.com?
On the united website, the flight was showing unconfirmed/canceled. After I called support, that flight doesn't show up in my itinerary. Now, I see SFO -> IST and DEL -> BLR in my itinerary. The second leg is missing.

I called the support twice; I was told that they couldn't book me on another united flight because my ticket is on Turkish Airlines though I booked through United and I have to find a ticket on Turkish Airlines only. Unfortunately, no flights are flying to India from IST.
I asked them if they can cancel this entire booking and put me on a different United Flight by issuing a new ticket. They apparently can't do that because there are no award saver seats, and the other Business class seats available are 180K miles, and I have to pay the difference.

I thought it is their responsibility to rebook me on a different flight if my current flight is canceled.

I appreciate your response, thank you!
Old Jan 29, 21, 5:03 pm
Moderator: United Airlines; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 1.85MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
... I thought it is their responsibility to rebook me on a different flight if my current flight is canceled. ....
No they are not required to do that but UA's general practice has been to open up space on their flights in cases like this.

You may want to try another approach like twitter or when calling ask for a supervisor -- the responder you are getting are very puzzling

Are the agents acknowledging TK has cancelled the flight?
jsloan and stanj like this.
Old Jan 29, 21, 8:27 pm

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA View Post
No they are not required to do that but UA's general practice has been to open up space on their flights in cases like this.

You may want to try another approach like twitter or when calling ask for a supervisor -- the responder you are getting are very puzzling

Are the agents acknowledging TK has cancelled the flight?
Yes, they did acknowledge the TK flight cancellation. I'll try Twitter. Thank you!
Old Feb 2, 21, 8:08 pm

Originally Posted by JetAway View Post
Same here. Did a couple of no fee redeposits. So it appears to be fixed (until it isn't again).
I'm in the same boat.....speculatively booked Europe award travel for summer because I was assured there were no redeposit fees if I canceled 30+ days in advance.

When I called/texted today, two different agents told me there was a $125 redeposit fee since my travel was after March 31st.

Interestingly, when I looked at the cancel option on the website it gave me the option to "refund to original form of payment" with the following terms:

"Select this option to refund the value of this ticket (less any applicable cancellation fees) to the original form of payment. Though there may be an active travel waiver which waives change fees, it doesn't waive cancellation fees. If cancellation fees apply, you may be eligible for a full refund if your flights have been severely adjusted or service to your destination has been suspended. Visit the Refunds page to submit your refund request."

Then it showed me how much would be refunded to my original form of payment and the number of miles that would be redeposited - with no mention of a $125 cancelation fee.

Would I be safe to pull the trigger?
Old Feb 2, 21, 8:40 pm

Originally Posted by Mr. S View Post
I'm in the same boat.....speculatively booked Europe award travel for summer because I was assured there were no redeposit fees if I canceled 30+ days in advance.

When I called/texted today, two different agents told me there was a $125 redeposit fee since my travel was after March 31st.

Interestingly, when I looked at the cancel option on the website it gave me the option to "refund to original form of payment" with the following terms:

"Select this option to refund the value of this ticket (less any applicable cancellation fees) to the original form of payment. Though there may be an active travel waiver which waives change fees, it doesn't waive cancellation fees. If cancellation fees apply, you may be eligible for a full refund if your flights have been severely adjusted or service to your destination has been suspended. Visit the Refunds page to submit your refund request."

Then it showed me how much would be refunded to my original form of payment and the number of miles that would be redeposited - with no mention of a $125 cancelation fee.

Would I be safe to pull the trigger?
Yes, if the website shows a full redeposit and refund, it's safe to do the cancellation online -- I would screenshot all of the relevant info just in case. The agents are simply ignorant of the >30 day redeposit policy that was announced in August; they are mistakenly confusing it with the older waiver instead of learning about the policy; we're not sure why they the lack of knowledge is so widespread, but it is what it is. At least the website was finally updated; until a few weeks ago people had to HUCA a few times to get an agent to waive the fee (while sometimes claiming it was a "one time exception" because they don't know the policy )
Old Feb 3, 21, 2:30 pm

Cool

On February 3, I booked 3 reward flights on United: BKK to SFO for April 1, 2021; 2 economy, 1 business. I then called within 24hrs to inquire about the cancellation / change options.
3 agents within 1 hour:
Agent #1 (clearly a newbie, filipino): if not cancelled or changed in 24hrs, $125 change or redeposit fee.
Agent #2 (seasoned, american): can cancel or change without fee up until March 31, 2021.
Agent #3 (seasoned, filipino): can cancel or change without fee within 30 days of departure.

Search this Thread