Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Award tkt change/cancellation/redeposit/fees Q&As: no fees up to 31 days pre-travel

Award tkt change/cancellation/redeposit/fees Q&As: no fees up to 31 days pre-travel

Hide Wikipost
Old Jul 13, 22, 7:43 am   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Wiki Link
Have an upcoming trip you want to cancel and redeposit the miles -- but subject to the 30 day or less cancel fee?
Just use the free change to move to a flight further in the future (>31 days) not subject to the cancellation fee and then cancel / redeposit for free.
Note the change does not need to be to the same itin or the same mileage cost. If the change is to a cheaper mileage ticket, the extra miles will be redeposited for free.

1 Jan 2021
Originally Posted by charlesonmission View Post
Has this just been updated? https://www.united.com/ual/en/us/fly...ticketing.html

Fee for making a change or canceling with redeposit 31 or more days before departure = No Fee
Fee for making a change to a ticket for travel originating in the U.S. 30 or fewer days before departure = No fee
Fee for canceling a ticket for travel originating in the U.S. with miles redeposit 30 or fewer days before departure = $125
Fee for making a change to or canceling international tickets that do not originate in the U.S. 30 or fewer days before departure = $125

That seems to be what we are expecting. Nice that the 31 day or more cancellation is also no fee even if the flight doesn't originate in the US. I wonder if giving agents the exact URL so that they could look it up is something that they would be able to do.

23 Dec 2020
Award flight redeposit fees waived
Were waiving redeposit fees for award flights departing on or before March 31, 2021, that are canceled at least 30 days before the departure date. You can also change your award flight with no fee. Learn more about changing or canceling your award flight.
31 Aug

Were waiving redeposit fees for award flights departing on or before December 31, 2020, that are canceled at least 30 days before the departure date. You can also change your award flight with no fee. Learn more about changing or canceling your award flight.
30 June
If youre planning to cancel your award travel, were waiving all redeposit fees for award flights with travel dates on or before July 31, 2020. Were also waiving redeposit fees for award flights with travel dates on or before December 31, 2020, that are canceled at least 30 days before the departure date. You can also change your award flight with no fee. Learn more about changing or canceling your award flight.
End of July this was changed to 31 August 2020

28 May
If youre planning to cancel your award travel, were waiving all redeposit fees for award flights with travel dates on or before June 30, 2020. Were also waiving redeposit fees for award flights with travel dates on or before December 31, 2020, that are changed or canceled at least 30 days before the departure date. Learn more about changing or canceling your award flight.

as of 05 April 2020
We{UA} have removed some redeposit fees for the rest of the year.
  • We are currently waiving all award redeposit fees for travel through end of May 2020.
  • We are now also waiving all redeposit fees for award ticket cancellations made more than 30 days before departure for the remainder of 2020.

Fees for a change or redeposit:
  • There are fees for some changes and redeposit , so please check the chart below for details. These fees apply to MileagePlus awards on United, United Express, Star Alliance airline partners and other airline partners.
  • When requesting a change for more than one ticket, the fee applies to each ticket separately. If two people are traveling together and make a change, for example, there will be a fee for both.
  • When flying with one of our Star Alliance partners, changes must be made at least 24 hours before departure. {but in many cases much less will work -- somewhat YMMV -- but the rules state 24 hours}
  • Fees are based on the status of the mileage account holder at the time of the request
  • Fee for canceling / redeposit a mileage upgrade

UA's Award ticketing options/service fees

With Changes To UA MileagePlus Coming On NOV 15, 2019 (Dynamic UA Awards - No More Chart)close-in booking fees will disappear

Close-in fee trick:
Multiple reports this no longer works.
{Book outside the close-in window and then change "for free" in the 24-hour change free window}

Award tickets booked prior to Oct 6, 2016 will be covered by the old pre-Oct 6 rules but some changes (such as changing the first segment} will re-ticket the award and make it subject to the new rules

Related thread: Deadline to cancel/redeposit award ticket...?

Previous thread -- General award ticket change/cancellation/redeposit/fees questions [2015-2016]

Archive : https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unit...q-archive.html

Print Wikipost

Old Jan 7, 21, 12:43 pm

Programs: IHG Rewards Platinum, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, UA/DL/AA Back of the plane...
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA View Post
Try calling
It is also saved in this thread's wiki
That is another good use of thread wiki's to save information that someone may need later
So I did a chat today and they said the waiver was through 3/31/2021 and it would be $75 per person. I sent a link to the webpage and after a rather long wait was told that yes they would cancel an April trip and reinstate the miles at no fee...

Today sure was a "cancel vacation" day....
Old Jan 7, 21, 1:00 pm

Programs: AA L.T. PLT
Try calling
I did and they said to contact them after it expires and they would give me an extra 6 months for $100. I guess that is the going rate.
Old Jan 7, 21, 2:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Saipan, MP 96950 USA (Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands = the CNMI)
Programs: UA Silver, Hilton Gold, Marriott Titanium. Life: UA 540K mi., United & Admirals Clubs, Marr. Gold
Originally Posted by SPN Lifer View Post
To help a maximum number of people, save copies at http://archive.today

And post the archive link here on FlyerTalk.
It is also saved in this thread's wiki
That is another good use of thread wiki's to save information that someone may need later
Posting the archive link to the terms here in the wiki has an advantage over a mere screenshot in that the latter might be forged or edited, whereas the archive has a temporal (time-stamp) component as well.
Old Jan 10, 21, 11:17 am
Original Member

Programs: UA Platinum/1MM, AA PPro, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by jsloan View Post
I agree; this is exactly what they published in August, what all concurrent press accounts said at the time... and what nobody bothered to communicate to the front-line agents.

That said, for any reservation with free changes, they really ought to allow free redeposits as well. Their current scheme simply amounts to a tax on people who don't realize that they can first change to a later date and then do a free redeposit. (Applies for all purchases under the current waiver, plus all US departures purchased after April 1).
Well, so I did just that (changing the date to a later date before March 31), but the website still wants to charge me for redeposit miles.

Using the Apple iMessage function right now. Initially the agent wanted to charge me $125, probably did not realize I had status. I pointed out the waiver, and she is now "working on it". Took 30 minutes but it was done.
SPN Lifer and wxguy like this.
Old Jan 11, 21, 12:12 pm

Unite's website still want to charge redeposit fees
Old Jan 11, 21, 12:26 pm

For all United related tech issues I only go to twitter team now. They are quick and get it done correctly.
susiesan and ContinentalFan like this.
Old Jan 14, 21, 7:11 pm

Are the refunds for taxes paid on award tickets always refunded back to the original form of payment? Or is there a scenario where it gets issued as some form of travel credit?
Old Jan 14, 21, 7:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by DevilCheese View Post
Are the refunds for taxes paid on award tickets always refunded back to the original form of payment? Or is there a scenario where it gets issued as some form of travel credit?
If the miles are redeposited, the taxes will be refunded to the original form of payment. If you would prefer to have UA hold onto the taxes instead, you can cancel the award ticket without redepositing the miles; you can then use those miles -- and the taxes paid -- for a future award ticket for the same passenger.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Jan 14, 21, 7:50 pm
Moderator: United Airlines; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 1.85MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by DevilCheese View Post
Always back to original form of payment
Old Jan 15, 21, 9:30 am

I think this is answered in the last few pages but the dates are a bit confusing so I want to ask. Sorry if redundant but maybe it will help others.

I made an award booking in August 2020 for flights from the USA to EU in June 2021. I can change for free on the website, but if I try to cancel it wants to charge me a redeposit fee of 2x75 for the two passengers. We do not have status. Is this just a case of the website not having caught up with the new policy or is there something about the dates of my booking that make me not eligible for a free redeposit?

Interestingly, there seems to be a minor loophole in that nothing would prevent me from changing my tickets to a 5k economy award booking and getting most of my miles and taxes refunded. I value United miles around 1.5 cents so this is effectively a wash but I probably would prefer to part with the miles rather than cash if I'm not eligible for a free redeposit.
Old Jan 15, 21, 9:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by lkar View Post
Is this just a case of the website not having caught up with the new policy
Yes.

Originally Posted by lkar View Post
Interestingly, there seems to be a minor loophole in that nothing would prevent me from changing my tickets to a 5k economy award booking and getting most of my miles and taxes refunded.
Correct, but this shouldn't be necessary.
lkar likes this.
Old Jan 18, 21, 6:23 pm

Just want to check here before I book. I'm planning to book a r/t award flight with United CVG-ORD-HND. The domestic segment is United and the international segment is ANA. To be clear, I can cancel my award booking for free as long as I do so at least 30 days before the flight?
GWFan likes this.
Old Jan 18, 21, 6:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by wittenscafe View Post
Just want to check here before I book. I'm planning to book a r/t award flight with United CVG-ORD-HND. The domestic segment is United and the international segment is ANA. To be clear, I can cancel my award booking for free as long as I do so at least 30 days before the flight?
Yes, you can cancel and redeposit at no charge, provided it's 31 or more days prior to departure. Or, you can change for free at any time prior to departure.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Jan 19, 21, 6:52 am

Programs: Hilton Honors Diamond, Marriott Gold
Award Redeposit Fees for Flights after March 31, 2021

[Moderator edit to reflect thread combined with the master thread on the topic.]

If I am reading what is stated on the United website correctly, there is a waiver for award redeposit fee for all award tickets for departures on March 31, 2021 or earlier, if the itinerary is cancelled by the customer 31 days or before departure. So, what is the advice for those who hold award tickets for departures after March 31, 2021? Is there a possibility that United will again extend this waiver beyond March 31, 2021?

The award itinerary I have is for mid-late May 2021 to Japan and back. I guess we were a bit too optimistic (or not?) when we booked this last year.

Also, there is a possibility that Japan may still be closed to visitors from US in May of this year. If this is the case, would United allow us to cancel our itinerary and redeposit miles without penalty?

Last edited by Ocn Vw 1K; Jan 19, 21 at 8:49 am Reason: See note above.
Old Jan 19, 21, 8:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by psoque View Post
I apologize if this has already been covered extensively in another thread.

If I am reading what is stated on the United website correctly, there is a waiver for award redeposit fee for all award tickets for departures on March 31, 2021 or earlier, if the itinerary is cancelled by the customer 31 days or before departure. So, what is the advice for those who hold award tickets for departures after March 31, 2021? Is there a possibility that United will again extend this waiver beyond March 31, 2021?

The award itinerary I have is for mid-late May 2021 to Japan and back. I guess we were a bit too optimistic (or not?) when we booked this last year.

Also, there is a possibility that Japan may still be closed to visitors from US in May of this year. If this is the case, would United allow us to cancel our itinerary and redeposit miles without penalty?
[Moderator edit since separate thread was now combined with the link helpfully provided by member.]

For US departures, you can redeposit awards at no charge, provided you do so 31 days before travel. There's no March 31 deadline for this. However, the website might not have been updated, so you may need to call.

Last edited by Ocn Vw 1K; Jan 19, 21 at 8:50 am Reason: See note above.

Search this Thread