Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Award tkt change/cancellation/redeposit/fees Q&As: no fees up to 31 days pre-travel

Award tkt change/cancellation/redeposit/fees Q&As: no fees up to 31 days pre-travel

Hide Wikipost
Old Jun 3, 22, 1:46 pm   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Wiki Link
Have an upcoming trip you want to cancel and redeposit the miles -- but subject to the 30 day or less cancel fee?
Just use the free change to move to a flight further in the future (>31 days) not subject to the cancellation fee and then cancel / redeposit for free.
Note the change does not need to be to the same itin or the same mileage cost. If the change is to a cheaper mileage ticket, the extra miles will be redeposited for free.

1 Jan 2021
Originally Posted by charlesonmission View Post
Has this just been updated? https://www.united.com/ual/en/us/fly...ticketing.html

Fee for making a change or canceling with redeposit 31 or more days before departure = No Fee
Fee for making a change to a ticket for travel originating in the U.S. 30 or fewer days before departure = No fee
Fee for canceling a ticket for travel originating in the U.S. with miles redeposit 30 or fewer days before departure = $125
Fee for making a change to or canceling international tickets that do not originate in the U.S. 30 or fewer days before departure = $125

That seems to be what we are expecting. Nice that the 31 day or more cancellation is also no fee even if the flight doesn't originate in the US. I wonder if giving agents the exact URL so that they could look it up is something that they would be able to do.

23 Dec 2020
Award flight redeposit fees waived
We’re waiving redeposit fees for award flights departing on or before March 31, 2021, that are canceled at least 30 days before the departure date. You can also change your award flight with no fee. Learn more about changing or canceling your award flight.
31 Aug

We’re waiving redeposit fees for award flights departing on or before December 31, 2020, that are canceled at least 30 days before the departure date. You can also change your award flight with no fee. Learn more about changing or canceling your award flight.
30 June
If you’re planning to cancel your award travel, we’re waiving all redeposit fees for award flights with travel dates on or before July 31, 2020. We’re also waiving redeposit fees for award flights with travel dates on or before December 31, 2020, that are canceled at least 30 days before the departure date. You can also change your award flight with no fee. Learn more about changing or canceling your award flight.
End of July this was changed to 31 August 2020

28 May
If you’re planning to cancel your award travel, we’re waiving all redeposit fees for award flights with travel dates on or before June 30, 2020. We’re also waiving redeposit fees for award flights with travel dates on or before December 31, 2020, that are changed or canceled at least 30 days before the departure date. Learn more about changing or canceling your award flight.

as of 05 April 2020
We{UA} have removed some redeposit fees for the rest of the year.
  • We are currently waiving all award redeposit fees for travel through end of May 2020.
  • We are now also waiving all redeposit fees for award ticket cancellations made more than 30 days before departure for the remainder of 2020.

Fees for a change or redeposit:
  • There are fees for some changes and redeposit , so please check the chart below for details. These fees apply to MileagePlus® awards on United, United Express®, Star Alliance® airline partners and other airline partners.
  • When requesting a change for more than one ticket, the fee applies to each ticket separately. If two people are traveling together and make a change, for example, there will be a fee for both.
  • When flying with one of our Star Alliance partners, changes must be made at least 24 hours before departure. {but in many cases much less will work -- somewhat YMMV -- but the rules state 24 hours}
  • Fees are based on the status of the mileage account holder at the time of the request
  • Fee for canceling / redeposit a mileage upgrade

UA's Award ticketing options/service fees

With Changes To UA MileagePlus Coming On NOV 15, 2019 (Dynamic UA Awards - No More Chart)close-in booking fees will disappear

Close-in fee trick:
Multiple reports this no longer works.
{Book outside the close-in window and then change "for free" in the 24-hour change free window}

Award tickets booked prior to Oct 6, 2016 will be covered by the old pre-Oct 6 rules but some changes (such as changing the first segment} will re-ticket the award and make it subject to the new rules

Related thread: Deadline to cancel/redeposit award ticket...?

Previous thread -- General award ticket change/cancellation/redeposit/fees questions [2015-2016]

Archive : https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unit...q-archive.html

Print Wikipost

Old Mar 20, 20, 11:48 am

Programs: AA Plat; DL Silver; UA Silver; IHG Plat
sorry my post was with regards to the covid19 waivers currently in place. i posted in another thread it mod moved it here.. i know the standard rules so i'm asking specifically about how the covid19 waivers work for award flights since UA does not spell it out like delta does.
and yes redeposit is 125 not 150 i quoted. thanks for correction.

id like to use my united miles but if i have to pay a fee to get them redeposited after my event gets cancelled (late july) then i'd rather use alaska or delta cuz i can guarantee i get the miles and taxes back. i plan on booking by end of march while the waiver is still in place unless its extended, hence i'm asking in this forum. thanks in advance!
Old Mar 20, 20, 11:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by homeone View Post
id like to use my united miles but if i have to pay a fee to get them redeposited after my event gets cancelled (late july) then i'd rather use alaska or delta cuz i can guarantee i get the miles and taxes back. i plan on booking by end of march while the waiver is still in place unless its extended, hence i'm asking in this forum. thanks in advance!
UA is not waiving redeposit fees, just change fees.
Old Mar 20, 20, 4:47 pm

Programs: UA Platinum; Hilton Diamond; Hertz PC; Global Entry; TSA Pre✓
Should I expect a free redeposit of miles?

My SA flight IAD-JNB fell victim to the SA cancellations through end of May.

Booked with UA miles. Flight date was 53 days out from today. I have Platinum status. Since the flight was cancelled by SA, can I expect a free mileage redeposit?

There are alternative flights showing up on a search for my date on LH or Swiss. In any case, I cant go since US travellers are banned from entering South Africa.
Old Mar 20, 20, 4:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by FlyingHighlander View Post
Booked with UA miles. Flight date was 53 days out from today. I have Platinum status. Since the flight was cancelled by SA, can I expect a free mileage redeposit?
Expect? No, but you can ask. UA has been trying not to process refunds even when they clearly should.
Old Mar 20, 20, 5:02 pm

Originally Posted by jsloan View Post
Expect? No, but you can ask. UA has been trying not to process refunds even when they clearly should.
I figured they'd have no choice but to redeposit the miles to me. If they are banned from flying me there, what else can they do?
Old Mar 20, 20, 5:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I figured they'd have no choice but to redeposit the miles to me. If they are banned from flying me there, what else can they do?
They have been holding onto tickets and promising to refund them when the tickets expire. So, basically, you can use those miles to take your next trip with no change fee, but they're going to try not to refund them.
Old Mar 20, 20, 6:12 pm

I phoned United today (3/20) to cancel our 4/27 Europe United Award Flights. I was told I had two choices: change our reservation so that travel ends no later than one year anniversary of purchase on 1/15/20, or cancel booking. If I was to cancel, there was no way to avoid $125 per person redeposit fee.

When I told rep that I would wait until United cancelled the flights so that my miles would automatically redeposited without a fee, the United Rep said that I would still have to pay the $125 per person redeposit fee. She then said that a cancellation for Coronavirus reasons was like an act of god, that the airline wasn't responsible, and that there was no way for me to avoid redeposit fee.
Old Mar 20, 20, 6:18 pm

They have been holding onto tickets and promising to refund them when the tickets expire. So, basically, you can use those miles to take your next trip with no change fee, but they're going to try not to refund them.
I called them. That's exactly what they did. I chose to leave the miles sitting with them. My flight was 12 May 2020. The booking was made July 2019. What do you mean by "when tickets expire"? Just trying to understand what key dates I need to be aware of regarding reuse/redeposit.
Also, is there any scenario where if I did nothing for long enough I'd forfeit all the miles?
Thanks for your help
Old Mar 20, 20, 6:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by 3marmots View Post
When I told rep that I would wait until United cancelled the flights so that my miles would automatically redeposited without a fee, the United Rep said that I would still have to pay the $125 per person redeposit fee. She then said that a cancellation for Coronavirus reasons was like an act of god, that the airline wasn't responsible, and that there was no way for me to avoid redeposit fee.
This is definitely the position that they're taking.

I called them. That's exactly what they did. I chose to leave the miles sitting with them. My flight was 12 May 2020. The booking was made July 2019. What do you mean by "when tickets expire"? Just trying to understand what key dates I need to be aware of regarding reuse/redeposit.
Also, is there any scenario where if I did nothing for long enough I'd forfeit all the miles?
Thanks for your help
Tickets expire one year from issuance, so sometime in July 2020 for you. (You should be able to find the actual date on the receipt).

There is a lot that's still up in the air. This week is the first time that I've ever heard of this "we'll do a refund when tickets expire" stuff, so I can't say with any certainty what will happen. I don't think we'll really know until some people's tickets start expiring. I also suspect that UA will follow what seems to be an industry trend and extend the validity of the tickets. That probably also extends the amount of time before they'd do a refund / free redeposit.

What I would do in your situation is (a) look up the exact issue date; (b) make a note to call UA a couple of days before they expire to discuss options; (c) use these miles for any upcoming trip that you might end up taking; and (d) keep an eye open for further updates, as the situation evolves rapidly.

Note that there are multiple reports, pre-COVID-19, of being able to use a ticket for travel after the expiration date as long as the change is effected before the expiration date. I don't know how flexible they will be with that in the current environment, although for travel credits caused by UA schedule changes, where they've promised this refund anyway, I can't see why they'd argue.
Old Mar 20, 20, 6:45 pm

Tickets expire one year from issuance, so sometime in July 2020 for you. (You should be able to find the actual date on the receipt).

There is a lot that's still up in the air. This week is the first time that I've ever heard of this "we'll do a refund when tickets expire" stuff, so I can't say with any certainty what will happen. I don't think we'll really know until some people's tickets start expiring. I also suspect that UA will follow what seems to be an industry trend and extend the validity of the tickets. That probably also extends the amount of time before they'd do a refund / free redeposit.

What I would do in your situation is (a) look up the exact issue date; (b) make a note to call UA a couple of days before they expire to discuss options; (c) use these miles for any upcoming trip that you might end up taking; and (d) keep an eye open for further updates, as the situation evolves rapidly.

Note that there are multiple reports, pre-COVID-19, of being able to use a ticket for travel after the expiration date as long as the change is effected before the expiration date. I don't know how flexible they will be with that in the current environment, although for travel credits caused by UA schedule changes, where they've promised this refund anyway, I can't see why they'd argue.
Does this change anything regarding dates....

My original ticket Issue Date: June 13, 2019. That was for IAD-JNB-CPT

The JNB-CPT flight was cancelled by SA, so I had UA remove it and just keep the IAD-JNB segment. The ticket was reissued as:
Method of payment: Miscellaneous Document
Date of purchase: Thu, Feb 20, 2020. It has a new ticket number.

Should I still work against 13 June 2019, and call them a few days before 13 June 2020?
for what it's worth, I think the rep mentioned the June date today when I called.
Old Mar 20, 20, 6:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Should I still work against 13 June 2019, and call them a few days before 13 June 2020?
Yes. The one-year timer is not supposed to be reset by a re-issue. It might have been -- it's hard to say for sure -- but I wouldn't chance it.
FlyingHighlander likes this.
Old Mar 20, 20, 7:16 pm

Programs: AA Plat; DL Silver; UA Silver; IHG Plat
UA is not waiving redeposit fees, just change fees.
thanks for confirming! follow on to this. would i have to book similar routing / mileage requirement? i don't believe so right? as long as i use up the 60k miles before a year from booking otherwise i forfeit the remaining miles.
Old Mar 20, 20, 7:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by homeone View Post
thanks for confirming! follow on to this. would i have to book similar routing / mileage requirement? i don't believe so right? as long as i use up the 60k miles before a year from booking otherwise i forfeit the remaining miles.
You can book any routing that you want. However, I can't really answer what happens if the new ticket is less expensive (in miles) than the one you're buying now. For cash tickets, UA has instituted a rule where any residual value is ignored, meaning UA keeps it. You should probably check the fare rules of an award ticket to see if they've put the same language in place. If they have, it means that you would get one change, and if your new flight was fewer than 60K miles, you wouldn't have anything left over.

Go to the fare rules on the confirmation page and look for the word "residual." Anything about "refunded" Is good; anything about "ignored" is bad. Leaving it out entirely is good too. I suspect that they might not have bothered changing the rules for award tickets in this way, because they've always been refundable, but it's worth checking.
homeone likes this.
Old Mar 20, 20, 7:33 pm

Originally Posted by 3marmots View Post
I phoned United today (3/20) to cancel our 4/27 Europe United Award Flights. I was told I had two choices: change our reservation so that travel ends no later than one year anniversary of purchase on 1/15/20, or cancel booking. If I was to cancel, there was no way to avoid $125 per person redeposit fee.
TIP: If you want to cancel and redeposit miles for a ticket that is fewer than 60 days from today, you can save money by taking advantage of the waiver's free change and moving the dates of your trip to 61+ days out, and then after ticketing immediately cancel and pay the lower redeposit fee.
I just did this for multiple award tickets and saved significantly (as Gold I saved $50 per ticket, redeposit cost dropped from $75 to $25 per ticket). Could do the changes online for some tickets, for others it wouldn't work and I had to call in.
It sucks to have to pay any redeposit at all, and many will prefer to hold the ticket and rebook later, but I'd rather pay a little, have the miles back, and not have to track multiple PNRs, so this was an easy decision given all the bigger challenges my family is facing.
Old Mar 20, 20, 7:46 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL SM, UA MP.
What is the change and redeposit fee AFTER the date of the flight has passed?

Search this Thread