Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Award tkt change/cancellation/redeposit/fees Q&As: no fees up to 31 days pre-travel

Award tkt change/cancellation/redeposit/fees Q&As: no fees up to 31 days pre-travel

Hide Wikipost
Old Jul 13, 22, 7:43 am   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Wiki Link
Have an upcoming trip you want to cancel and redeposit the miles -- but subject to the 30 day or less cancel fee?
Just use the free change to move to a flight further in the future (>31 days) not subject to the cancellation fee and then cancel / redeposit for free.
Note the change does not need to be to the same itin or the same mileage cost. If the change is to a cheaper mileage ticket, the extra miles will be redeposited for free.

1 Jan 2021
Originally Posted by charlesonmission View Post
Has this just been updated? https://www.united.com/ual/en/us/fly...ticketing.html

Fee for making a change or canceling with redeposit 31 or more days before departure = No Fee
Fee for making a change to a ticket for travel originating in the U.S. 30 or fewer days before departure = No fee
Fee for canceling a ticket for travel originating in the U.S. with miles redeposit 30 or fewer days before departure = $125
Fee for making a change to or canceling international tickets that do not originate in the U.S. 30 or fewer days before departure = $125

That seems to be what we are expecting. Nice that the 31 day or more cancellation is also no fee even if the flight doesn't originate in the US. I wonder if giving agents the exact URL so that they could look it up is something that they would be able to do.

23 Dec 2020
Award flight redeposit fees waived
We’re waiving redeposit fees for award flights departing on or before March 31, 2021, that are canceled at least 30 days before the departure date. You can also change your award flight with no fee. Learn more about changing or canceling your award flight.
31 Aug

We’re waiving redeposit fees for award flights departing on or before December 31, 2020, that are canceled at least 30 days before the departure date. You can also change your award flight with no fee. Learn more about changing or canceling your award flight.
30 June
If you’re planning to cancel your award travel, we’re waiving all redeposit fees for award flights with travel dates on or before July 31, 2020. We’re also waiving redeposit fees for award flights with travel dates on or before December 31, 2020, that are canceled at least 30 days before the departure date. You can also change your award flight with no fee. Learn more about changing or canceling your award flight.
End of July this was changed to 31 August 2020

28 May
If you’re planning to cancel your award travel, we’re waiving all redeposit fees for award flights with travel dates on or before June 30, 2020. We’re also waiving redeposit fees for award flights with travel dates on or before December 31, 2020, that are changed or canceled at least 30 days before the departure date. Learn more about changing or canceling your award flight.

as of 05 April 2020
We{UA} have removed some redeposit fees for the rest of the year.
  • We are currently waiving all award redeposit fees for travel through end of May 2020.
  • We are now also waiving all redeposit fees for award ticket cancellations made more than 30 days before departure for the remainder of 2020.

Fees for a change or redeposit:
  • There are fees for some changes and redeposit , so please check the chart below for details. These fees apply to MileagePlus® awards on United, United Express®, Star Alliance® airline partners and other airline partners.
  • When requesting a change for more than one ticket, the fee applies to each ticket separately. If two people are traveling together and make a change, for example, there will be a fee for both.
  • When flying with one of our Star Alliance partners, changes must be made at least 24 hours before departure. {but in many cases much less will work -- somewhat YMMV -- but the rules state 24 hours}
  • Fees are based on the status of the mileage account holder at the time of the request
  • Fee for canceling / redeposit a mileage upgrade

UA's Award ticketing options/service fees

With Changes To UA MileagePlus Coming On NOV 15, 2019 (Dynamic UA Awards - No More Chart)close-in booking fees will disappear

Close-in fee trick:
Multiple reports this no longer works.
{Book outside the close-in window and then change "for free" in the 24-hour change free window}

Award tickets booked prior to Oct 6, 2016 will be covered by the old pre-Oct 6 rules but some changes (such as changing the first segment} will re-ticket the award and make it subject to the new rules

Related thread: Deadline to cancel/redeposit award ticket...?

Previous thread -- General award ticket change/cancellation/redeposit/fees questions [2015-2016]

Archive : https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unit...q-archive.html

Print Wikipost

Old Mar 30, 20, 4:02 pm

Programs: AA,UAL Gold,AS,DL,MRD PP
I was able to cancel 2 award tickets yesterday for flights this week with no re-deposit fee. I was surprised when the agent said she would do the re-deposit without a fee. I still have not seen the miles back in to my account. I was thinking they are swamped and it would take a few days but now I am reading that some are seeing the miles immediately back in their account. Concerned they somehow just cancelled the flights without re-depositing the miles. My Cancelled trip section shows the cancelled trips, but there is no value of any kind associated with them.

In a favorable comment to UAL customer service, they did issue ETC's for my cancelled paid tickets that I bought last July. At first they told me I had to travel by 1 year from purchased date (which would be July of this year). I have no intention of flying anywhere any time soon. At least I know have a year from today to use the credits when thing calm down.

Every now and then UAL does the right thing. Wish I could say the same about Norwegian Cruise Lines. NCL makes UAL customer service look fantastic!
Old Mar 31, 20, 7:37 am

Programs: HH Diamond, VS Silver, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by FlyingHighlander View Post
No sign of my tax refund after having miles redeposited 10 days ago. I have now just completed a refund request for them using their online form.
They told me 7-10 business days, but I’m not holding my breath.
Old Mar 31, 20, 8:59 am

Programs: UA Gold-1MM, SAS Diamond
Just cancelled my Little Rock to Norway award ticket and 30.000 miles are returned on my account again. No fees at all.
Old Mar 31, 20, 9:32 am

Programs: UA Platinum; Hilton Diamond; Hertz PC; Global Entry; TSA Pre✓
Originally Posted by Tor Viking View Post
Just cancelled my Little Rock to Norway award ticket and 30.000 miles are returned on my account again. No fees at all.
What's your UA status and what was the flight date? Did you cancel online or with a phone agent?
Old Mar 31, 20, 9:40 am

Programs: UA Gold-1MM, SAS Diamond
Originally Posted by FlyingHighlander View Post
What's your UA status and what was the flight date? Did you cancel online or with a phone agent?
I'm UA Gold and my flight was for April 20th. I did it myself online and it was quite easy and informative. I did take screenshots just in case.
FlyingHighlander likes this.
Old Mar 31, 20, 11:00 am

Programs: Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott/SPG/Hilton Gold, PreCheck + Clear
This may already be stated somewhere, but a phone agent just confirmed to me that the fee-free award cancellation-and-redeposit waiver is only for itineraries with departures through May 31. My itinerary is in June, and she wouldn't budge—but she did allow me to make a change to my return flights without paying the typical $75 fee. I'm a former Plat, currently GM.
Old Mar 31, 20, 11:17 am

Programs: UA Gold, WN A-List, Marriott Plat, Hertz President's Circle
Another positive data point suggesting a change in policy: I just had success with miles redeposit with no fee while they would not do it for me last week. I could NOT process it online under my "cancelled" reservations as it would error out, but I was able to call in and get the miles back on a reservation I had already canceled -- although the agent told me it takes 2-3 days so I don't see anything yet....And then another few days for taxes which have been refunded to my credit card. This was a flight for the end of March that I had booked in January.

I was also able to get fully refunded on a ticket that had >6 hour change in arrival time for a domestic flight. It went back to the original form of payment, which was booked through my credit card, so they'll get refunded and then I'll have to work with them to get my points back....But I'd rather have that as a flexible and non-expiring currency that a United ticket I have to re-use.

Yay!
Old Mar 31, 20, 11:17 am

Just cancelled my award flight earlier through the website, apparently without fees. I had 2 seats booked for an open jaw trip in late April to BRU and AMS worth 180k miles and the 180k are showing up in my account, hopefully with taxes being credited back to me at some point as well. There was a statement as I was moving through the process that redeposit fees would be charged as a separate transaction, but at no point were those fees listed explicitly or any payment info requested, so it looks like they've removed them in a sort of temporary/sloppy way. I had looked a few days ago and it still looked like the website was going to charge me fees so I held off. for reference, I'm just a general member these days, so not dependent at all on status. As painful as it is to watch my vacation fall apart, I'm glad United is streamlining this process.
Old Mar 31, 20, 11:31 am

Programs: AA Gold
Are those who are cancelling awards and reporting no re deposit fee doing it online or are you still calling in? If I can do it myself online and not have to sit on hold for 2 hours I will just DIY cancel. If I have to call it in to save the re deposit fee I will go that route. I have 2 sets of award tickets to cancel and need to save on 2 re despot fees. One set of award tix is June, one set is July. I am cancelling because the flights go with a cruise that I am cancelling.
Old Mar 31, 20, 11:35 am

Programs: UA Gold, WN A-List, Marriott Plat, Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by susiesan View Post
Are those who are cancelling awards and reporting no re deposit fee doing it online or are you still calling in? If I can do it myself online and not have to sit on hold for 2 hours I will just DIY cancel. If I have to call it in to save the re deposit fee I will go that route. I have 2 sets of award tickets to cancel and need to save on 2 re despot fees. One set of award tix is June, one set is July. I am cancelling because the flights go with a cruise that I am cancelling.
I had to call in, but it was for a reservation that was already canceled, so not sure if that was a contributing factor. When I clicked "Cancel" on the reservation next to the "flight credit" button, it would simply error out for me. Seems like others are able to do it online. With United's callback technology, it's much more pleasant to call them than some other places. You don't have to wait on hold listening to terrible music. I had to wait like 20 minutes for a callback, but that's not too bad.
Old Mar 31, 20, 11:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

They are currently only waiving redeposit fees for flights through May 31. I'd hang tight a little to see what happens for June and July.
Old Mar 31, 20, 12:25 pm

Programs: Marriott LT Titanium, Mileage Plus 1K, Global Entry
I had a reservation I cancelled a few days ago and was told I would have to pay the fee to redeposit. Was able to cancel, with redeposit and no fee, online this morning.
keisari likes this.
Old Mar 31, 20, 12:31 pm

Programs: UA lifetime gold; Hilton Gold; Marriott/SPG Plat; Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by Michilander View Post
I had a reservation I cancelled a few days ago and was told I would have to pay the fee to redeposit. Was able to cancel, with redeposit and no fee, online this morning.
Same here. I had resisted to cancel waiting for the last minute since the redeposit fee is the same 1-60 days prior anyway.
Got the miles instantly and hopefully the taxes will be credited directly to the credit card.
2 thumbs up for united.
Old Mar 31, 20, 12:41 pm

Programs: UA LT Gold, American Kettle, Hertz #1 Presidents Circle, Marriott LT Platinum
I can confirm that I just cancelled a set of tickets (2 one-ways to/from Canada) for travel in May that I booked with award miles. No redeposit fee charged.

Thank goodness. I've been holding off on the cancel waiting for UA to either cancel the flights or make some changes on redeposit fees.
Old Mar 31, 20, 12:42 pm

Programs: AA Gold
Originally Posted by jsloan View Post
They are currently only waiving redeposit fees for flights through May 31. I'd hang tight a little to see what happens for June and July.
First flight to cancel is not until June 24. Second is July 8. At this point the cruise line has not officially canceled the cruise but since it is in Europe, Baltic itinerary, there is no way the ship will sail. I will wait a while. I will be sure to cancel prior to the 60 days as I have to pay 4 fees for 4 award tickets.

Even though the first ticket is for June 24, there is language on my reservation that says there is a waiver on this trip. I can cancel it of course and have the milers deposited but there is no language that says a fee won't be charged.

Last edited by susiesan; Mar 31, 20 at 12:54 pm

Search this Thread