Reload this Page >

Miles&Points

Airlines and Mileage Programs

United Airlines | MileagePlus

Award tkt change/cancellation/redeposit/fees Q&As: No fees pre-travel

Award tkt change/cancellation/redeposit/fees Q&As: No fees pre-travel

Hide Wikipost
Old Nov 8, 22, 4:53 am   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Wiki Link
8 Nov 2022
As part of the 2023 MileagePlus program updates award redeposit fees are being removed for all levels beginning 1 Jan 2023
**This does not apply to redepositing after a no-show**
Originally Posted by United

Award ticket redeposit fee removal

All redeposit fees associated with canceling award travel have been removed, so you have more choice and control over managing plans. United is committed to meeting customer expectations by providing more flexibility throughout the travel experience.
https://www.united.com/en/us/fly/mil...whats-new.html

Originally Posted by Lux Flyer View Post

Award service fees

We have removed all redeposit fees associated with canceling award travel so you can have more choice and control over managing your plans.
  • The fees for award travel apply to United, United Express, Star AllianceTM airline partners and other airline partners.
  • Fees apply to each ticket individually. If multiple people are traveling together, there is a fee for each traveler.
  • Fee level is based on the MileagePlus status of the member whose miles were used to book the award.
  • Some award changes may also require additional mileage.
  • Service fees are nonrefundable.
For travel starting on or after January 1, 2023

1 When determining which service fees apply, the number of days before departure is calculated based upon the exact time of the scheduled flight departure.

2 This fee applies to all members and is charged instead of the redeposit fee that applies if canceling before flight departure.
https://www.united.com/ual/en/us/fly...ticketing.html

Have an upcoming trip you want to cancel and redeposit the miles -- but subject to the 30 day or less cancel fee?
Just use the free change to move to a flight further in the future (>31 days) not subject to the cancellation fee and then cancel / redeposit for free.
Note the change does not need to be to the same itin or the same mileage cost. If the change is to a cheaper mileage ticket, the extra miles will be redeposited for free.

4 Oct 2022
United continues to waive redeposit fees for all award tickets, booked at any time, for all MileagePlus members and all points of origin. The current location this is located on United's website is described below.
Glad you were able to figure it out. But for posterity in case anyone else comes looking (or wants to double check it is still in effect.

On this page which shows the chart with fees (https://www.united.com/ual/en/us/fly...ticketing.html). There is the banner at the top showing

And if you follow it through all the way it eventually takes you to the no change fees page (https://www.united.com/ual/en/us/fly...hange-fee.html), with the FAQs on award travel indicating redeposit fee is currently being waived.

OLDER FEES conditions

1 Jan 2021
Originally Posted by charlesonmission View Post
Has this just been updated? https://www.united.com/ual/en/us/fly...ticketing.html

Fee for making a change or canceling with redeposit 31 or more days before departure = No Fee
Fee for making a change to a ticket for travel originating in the U.S. 30 or fewer days before departure = No fee
Fee for canceling a ticket for travel originating in the U.S. with miles redeposit 30 or fewer days before departure = $125
Fee for making a change to or canceling international tickets that do not originate in the U.S. 30 or fewer days before departure = $125

That seems to be what we are expecting. Nice that the 31 day or more cancellation is also no fee even if the flight doesn't originate in the US. I wonder if giving agents the exact URL so that they could look it up is something that they would be able to do.

23 Dec 2020
Award flight redeposit fees waived
Were waiving redeposit fees for award flights departing on or before March 31, 2021, that are canceled at least 30 days before the departure date. You can also change your award flight with no fee. Learn more about changing or canceling your award flight.
31 Aug

Were waiving redeposit fees for award flights departing on or before December 31, 2020, that are canceled at least 30 days before the departure date. You can also change your award flight with no fee. Learn more about changing or canceling your award flight.
30 June
If youre planning to cancel your award travel, were waiving all redeposit fees for award flights with travel dates on or before July 31, 2020. Were also waiving redeposit fees for award flights with travel dates on or before December 31, 2020, that are canceled at least 30 days before the departure date. You can also change your award flight with no fee. Learn more about changing or canceling your award flight.
End of July this was changed to 31 August 2020

28 May
If youre planning to cancel your award travel, were waiving all redeposit fees for award flights with travel dates on or before June 30, 2020. Were also waiving redeposit fees for award flights with travel dates on or before December 31, 2020, that are changed or canceled at least 30 days before the departure date. Learn more about changing or canceling your award flight.

as of 05 April 2020
We{UA} have removed some redeposit fees for the rest of the year.
  • We are currently waiving all award redeposit fees for travel through end of May 2020.
  • We are now also waiving all redeposit fees for award ticket cancellations made more than 30 days before departure for the remainder of 2020.

Fees for a change or redeposit:
  • There are fees for some changes and redeposit , so please check the chart below for details. These fees apply to MileagePlus awards on United, United Express, Star Alliance airline partners and other airline partners.
  • When requesting a change for more than one ticket, the fee applies to each ticket separately. If two people are traveling together and make a change, for example, there will be a fee for both.
  • When flying with one of our Star Alliance partners, changes must be made at least 24 hours before departure. {but in many cases much less will work -- somewhat YMMV -- but the rules state 24 hours}
  • Fees are based on the status of the mileage account holder at the time of the request
  • Fee for canceling / redeposit a mileage upgrade

UA's Award ticketing options/service fees

With Changes To UA MileagePlus Coming On NOV 15, 2019 (Dynamic UA Awards - No More Chart)close-in booking fees will disappear

Close-in fee trick:
Multiple reports this no longer works.
{Book outside the close-in window and then change "for free" in the 24-hour change free window}

Award tickets booked prior to Oct 6, 2016 will be covered by the old pre-Oct 6 rules but some changes (such as changing the first segment} will re-ticket the award and make it subject to the new rules

Related thread: Deadline to cancel/redeposit award ticket...?

Previous thread -- General award ticket change/cancellation/redeposit/fees questions [2015-2016]

Archive : https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unit...q-archive.html
Print Wikipost

Old Nov 11, 22, 7:49 pm

Actually effective for travel beginning after 1 Jan according to the web page, though I doubt anyone is really going to scrutinize it, given the previous waivers that existed.

----

Award service fees

We have removed all redeposit fees associated with canceling award travel so you can have more choice and control over managing your plans.
  • The fees for award travel apply to United, United Express, Star AllianceTM airline partners and other airline partners.
  • Fees apply to each ticket individually. If multiple people are traveling together, there is a fee for each traveler.
  • Fee level is based on the MileagePlus status of the member whose miles were used to book the award.
  • Some award changes may also require additional mileage.
  • Service fees are nonrefundable.
For travel starting on or after January 1, 2023

1 When determining which service fees apply, the number of days before departure is calculated based upon the exact time of the scheduled flight departure.

2 This fee applies to all members and is charged instead of the redeposit fee that applies if canceling before flight departure.

does this new rule apply retroactively? (ie to bookings made before 1 Jan 2023)
Old Nov 12, 22, 12:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by gnomey View Post
does this new rule apply retroactively? (ie to bookings made before 1 Jan 2023)
Yes, if you cancel after Jan 1 2023, the new rule will be in effect, even for purchases made prior to Jan 1.
SPN Lifer and gnomey like this.
Old Nov 15, 22, 4:05 am

Programs: UA S, Marriott Gold (UA), Hertz PC (UA), HH Gold (cc), Avis PP, National EC Executive
Changing a multi-destination award ticket (with stopover)

I would like to take advantage of stopover / open jaw. I am currently in europe.

Let's say I know only the first part of my travel plans: I want to go LHR-EWR-SFO. Without a return segment, I cannot take advantage of a stopover in EWR. But if I book a return leg to europe, I think I can. For example, I book
LHR-EWR 12/6, biz saver
EWR-SFO 12/10
IAH-FRA 3/30/2023, of some sort

I think the middle leg is a free biz saver, assuming availability (big assumption).

My primary question is this: once I fly the first leg (LHR-EWR), can I make changes to the other two legs (e.g., to the destinations or to the dates) without fee as long as the regions (north america / europe) remain the same?
Old Nov 15, 22, 9:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by bigwings8 View Post
I would like to take advantage of stopover / open jaw. I am currently in europe.

Let's say I know only the first part of my travel plans: I want to go LHR-EWR-SFO. Without a return segment, I cannot take advantage of a stopover in EWR. But if I book a return leg to europe, I think I can. For example, I book
LHR-EWR 12/6, biz saver
EWR-SFO 12/10
IAH-FRA 3/30/2023, of some sort

I think the middle leg is a free biz saver, assuming availability (big assumption).

My primary question is this: once I fly the first leg (LHR-EWR), can I make changes to the other two legs (e.g., to the destinations or to the dates) without fee as long as the regions (north america / europe) remain the same?
Business saver on EWR-SFO is likely to be your sticking point, but, yes, you should be able to do what you want. If you have any partner flights on your itinerary, there likely needs to be availability on all remaining segments, including those you're not changing.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Nov 16, 22, 10:54 am

Programs: UA S, Marriott Gold (UA), Hertz PC (UA), HH Gold (cc), Avis PP, National EC Executive
Originally Posted by jsloan View Post
Business saver on EWR-SFO is likely to be your sticking point, but, yes, you should be able to do what you want. If you have any partner flights on your itinerary, there likely needs to be availability on all remaining segments, including those you're not changing.
Cool, thanks! (Is this documented anywhere?)

- So basically, it's like I'm rebooking every remaining leg every time (hence needing fare availability), unless perhaps I call in to make the change?
- It looks like I can book econ *or* biz on that middle leg (if the first leg is biz), in which case I save ~25k (econ) but not 50k miles (biz)
- Does "saver" availability (either biz or econ) need to be available on the free leg? Or are you guaranteed that the middle leg (e.g., EWR-SFO) will price at 0 if there is at least some YN space?

- What happens if, after flying legs 1 and 2, you cancel the ticket? Do you get back the cost of the final leg, effectively getting a free leg? Or does cancellation with refund become impossible on a partially flown award ticket?

Based on my searching just now:
- saver availability (XN, IN) is necessary to get the discount; YN (or HN - does this still exist?) (or ON for premium plus) does not price as free
- On cancelling partially flown ticket: thread (I guess if you wanted maximum flexibility when you didn't know when you'd fly the "return", then the return flight should be booked as far as possible in the future and in the cheapest fare, since you can probably always upgrade from XN-> IN, assuming availability?)

So the only question remaining is whether every leg of the ticket needs to be available to make a change, or if it's ok for only one of the legs to be available (possibly with agent help)

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Nov 16, 22 at 2:43 pm Reason: merged consecutive / update posts by same member
Old Nov 18, 22, 10:42 am

Yes, if you cancel after Jan 1 2023, the new rule will be in effect, even for purchases made prior to Jan 1.

Hello, here is my question; let's say I booked my award ticket today for Jan 19, and want to change/cancel my ticket next week. Will the no-fee cancellation apply? Or it will only take effect if I make a change/cancel after Jan 1, 2023?
Old Nov 18, 22, 11:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by lleung1980 View Post
Hello, here is my question; let's say I booked my award ticket today for Jan 19, and want to change/cancel my ticket next week. Will the no-fee cancellation apply? Or it will only take effect if I make a change/cancel after Jan 1, 2023?
Any changes made during 2022 will use the current rules. However (a) there are no fees for changes made more than 30 days in advance anyway, and (b) there are many reports that fees have bene waived even for changes made less than 30 days in advance.
Old Nov 18, 22, 12:37 pm

Any changes made during 2022 will use the current rules. However (a) there are no fees for changes made more than 30 days in advance anyway, and (b) there are many reports that fees have bene waived even for changes made less than 30 days in advance.
Ok, great, I guess I can always wait until Jan 1 2023 to cancel my ticket
Old Nov 23, 22, 6:24 pm

Programs: UA 1P MM, AA-PP, AS, DL, HH G, SPG Gold, TA nada
Maybe I have not kept up with all the new rules, but this has me stumped:

Award ticket booked SFO-MUC-GOA for 155,000 one way. SFO-MUC on UA in business (JN) and MUC-GOA on Air Dolomiti in economy (X). I thought that just MUC-GOA was sold out in business. Today I looked for just the segment MUC-GOA, same flight, has 3 seats available for business award. Called, as I used to do in the past to have the Y to C changed and told it wasn't possible, a segment ticket, each leg separate, which is what agent said had to be done, would be 270,000! Seems really odd to me, as I swear I have done this in the past. Ticket does/did say "mixed award". Any thoughts as to a secret way to make this happen?

Last edited by zoegksf; Nov 23, 22 at 6:31 pm Reason: Correction
Old Nov 23, 22, 8:06 pm
Moderator: United Airlines; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 1.85MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by zoegksf View Post
Maybe I have not kept up with all the new rules, but this has me stumped:

Award ticket booked SFO-MUC-GOA for 155,000 one way. SFO-MUC on UA in business (JN) and MUC-GOA on Air Dolomiti in economy (X). I thought that just MUC-GOA was sold out in business. Today I looked for just the segment MUC-GOA, same flight, has 3 seats available for business award. Called, as I used to do in the past to have the Y to C changed and told it wasn't possible, a segment ticket, each leg separate, which is what agent said had to be done, would be 270,000! Seems really odd to me, as I swear I have done this in the past. ...
Yes, you may have done this in the past, but for the last 4-5 years, this has become a repricing for changing a partner segment. UA just "purchased" an economy seat and now needs to reprice. Note on UA metal UA will normally waive this and not on partner segments
Old Nov 25, 22, 9:47 pm

Programs: UA Mileage Plus
Just want to confirm that a flight booked on a partner (Swiss) in economy originating in BOM and terminating at EWR. As a 1K I know flights booked with miles are fully refundable right up to departure. Just want to reconfirm that this is still the case with a partner (in this case Swiss and for a flight originating outside the US). Flight is in 3 days. Thanks.
Old Nov 25, 22, 10:53 pm
Moderator: United Airlines; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 1.85MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by azfanboy View Post
Just want to confirm that a flight booked on a partner (Swiss) in economy originating in BOM and terminating at EWR. As a 1K I know flights booked with miles are fully refundable right up to departure. Just want to reconfirm that this is still the case with a partner (in this case Swiss and for a flight originating outside the US). Flight is in 3 days. Thanks.
Yes*

* Up until the flight closes but I would give it a couple of hours before departure.
SPN Lifer likes this.

Search this Thread