Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Award tkt change/cancellation/redeposit/fees Q&As: No fees pre-travel

Award tkt change/cancellation/redeposit/fees Q&As: No fees pre-travel

Hide Wikipost
Old Nov 8, 22, 4:53 am   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Wiki Link
8 Nov 2022
As part of the 2023 MileagePlus program updates award redeposit fees are being removed for all levels beginning 1 Jan 2023
**This does not apply to redepositing after a no-show**
Originally Posted by United

Award ticket redeposit fee removal

All redeposit fees associated with canceling award travel have been removed, so you have more choice and control over managing plans. United is committed to meeting customer expectations by providing more flexibility throughout the travel experience.
https://www.united.com/en/us/fly/mil...whats-new.html

Originally Posted by Lux Flyer View Post

Award service fees

We have removed all redeposit fees associated with canceling award travel so you can have more choice and control over managing your plans.
  • The fees for award travel apply to United, United Express, Star AllianceTM airline partners and other airline partners.
  • Fees apply to each ticket individually. If multiple people are traveling together, there is a fee for each traveler.
  • Fee level is based on the MileagePlus status of the member whose miles were used to book the award.
  • Some award changes may also require additional mileage.
  • Service fees are nonrefundable.
For travel starting on or after January 1, 2023

1 When determining which service fees apply, the number of days before departure is calculated based upon the exact time of the scheduled flight departure.

2 This fee applies to all members and is charged instead of the redeposit fee that applies if canceling before flight departure.
https://www.united.com/ual/en/us/fly...ticketing.html

Have an upcoming trip you want to cancel and redeposit the miles -- but subject to the 30 day or less cancel fee?
Just use the free change to move to a flight further in the future (>31 days) not subject to the cancellation fee and then cancel / redeposit for free.
Note the change does not need to be to the same itin or the same mileage cost. If the change is to a cheaper mileage ticket, the extra miles will be redeposited for free.

4 Oct 2022
United continues to waive redeposit fees for all award tickets, booked at any time, for all MileagePlus members and all points of origin. The current location this is located on United's website is described below.
Originally Posted by Lux Flyer View Post
Glad you were able to figure it out. But for posterity in case anyone else comes looking (or wants to double check it is still in effect.

On this page which shows the chart with fees (https://www.united.com/ual/en/us/fly...ticketing.html). There is the banner at the top showing

And if you follow it through all the way it eventually takes you to the no change fees page (https://www.united.com/ual/en/us/fly...hange-fee.html), with the FAQs on award travel indicating redeposit fee is currently being waived.

OLDER FEES conditions

1 Jan 2021
Originally Posted by charlesonmission View Post
Has this just been updated? https://www.united.com/ual/en/us/fly...ticketing.html

Fee for making a change or canceling with redeposit 31 or more days before departure = No Fee
Fee for making a change to a ticket for travel originating in the U.S. 30 or fewer days before departure = No fee
Fee for canceling a ticket for travel originating in the U.S. with miles redeposit 30 or fewer days before departure = $125
Fee for making a change to or canceling international tickets that do not originate in the U.S. 30 or fewer days before departure = $125

That seems to be what we are expecting. Nice that the 31 day or more cancellation is also no fee even if the flight doesn't originate in the US. I wonder if giving agents the exact URL so that they could look it up is something that they would be able to do.

23 Dec 2020
Award flight redeposit fees waived
Were waiving redeposit fees for award flights departing on or before March 31, 2021, that are canceled at least 30 days before the departure date. You can also change your award flight with no fee. Learn more about changing or canceling your award flight.
31 Aug

Were waiving redeposit fees for award flights departing on or before December 31, 2020, that are canceled at least 30 days before the departure date. You can also change your award flight with no fee. Learn more about changing or canceling your award flight.
30 June
If youre planning to cancel your award travel, were waiving all redeposit fees for award flights with travel dates on or before July 31, 2020. Were also waiving redeposit fees for award flights with travel dates on or before December 31, 2020, that are canceled at least 30 days before the departure date. You can also change your award flight with no fee. Learn more about changing or canceling your award flight.
End of July this was changed to 31 August 2020

28 May
If youre planning to cancel your award travel, were waiving all redeposit fees for award flights with travel dates on or before June 30, 2020. Were also waiving redeposit fees for award flights with travel dates on or before December 31, 2020, that are changed or canceled at least 30 days before the departure date. Learn more about changing or canceling your award flight.

as of 05 April 2020
We{UA} have removed some redeposit fees for the rest of the year.
  • We are currently waiving all award redeposit fees for travel through end of May 2020.
  • We are now also waiving all redeposit fees for award ticket cancellations made more than 30 days before departure for the remainder of 2020.

Fees for a change or redeposit:
  • There are fees for some changes and redeposit , so please check the chart below for details. These fees apply to MileagePlus awards on United, United Express, Star Alliance airline partners and other airline partners.
  • When requesting a change for more than one ticket, the fee applies to each ticket separately. If two people are traveling together and make a change, for example, there will be a fee for both.
  • When flying with one of our Star Alliance partners, changes must be made at least 24 hours before departure. {but in many cases much less will work -- somewhat YMMV -- but the rules state 24 hours}
  • Fees are based on the status of the mileage account holder at the time of the request
  • Fee for canceling / redeposit a mileage upgrade

UA's Award ticketing options/service fees

With Changes To UA MileagePlus Coming On NOV 15, 2019 (Dynamic UA Awards - No More Chart)close-in booking fees will disappear

Close-in fee trick:
Multiple reports this no longer works.
{Book outside the close-in window and then change "for free" in the 24-hour change free window}

Award tickets booked prior to Oct 6, 2016 will be covered by the old pre-Oct 6 rules but some changes (such as changing the first segment} will re-ticket the award and make it subject to the new rules

Related thread: Deadline to cancel/redeposit award ticket...?

Previous thread -- General award ticket change/cancellation/redeposit/fees questions [2015-2016]

Archive : https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unit...q-archive.html
Print Wikipost

Old Mar 20, 20, 8:55 pm

Programs: UA Platinum; Hilton Diamond; Hertz PC; Global Entry; TSA Pre✓
Originally Posted by shdflyer View Post
TIP: If you want to cancel and redeposit miles for a ticket that is fewer than 60 days from today, you can save money by taking advantage of the waiver's free change and moving the dates of your trip to 61+ days out, and then after ticketing immediately cancel and pay the lower redeposit fee.
I just did this for multiple award tickets and saved significantly (as Gold I saved $50 per ticket, redeposit cost dropped from $75 to $25 per ticket). Could do the changes online for some tickets, for others it wouldn't work and I had to call in.
It sucks to have to pay any redeposit at all, and many will prefer to hold the ticket and rebook later, but I'd rather pay a little, have the miles back, and not have to track multiple PNRs, so this was an easy decision given all the bigger challenges my family is facing.
wow. Thats quite a loophole. Do we have multiple other data points here of this consistently working?
Old Mar 20, 20, 9:29 pm
Moderator: United Airlines; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 1.85MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by wco81 View Post
What is the change and redeposit fee AFTER the date of the flight has passed?
If you don't cancel before the flight, it is $125 with no waiver for elites
https://www.united.com/ual/en/us/fly...ticketing.html
jsloan likes this.
Old Mar 20, 20, 9:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by FlyingHighlander View Post
wow. Thats quite a loophole. Do we have multiple other data points here of this consistently working?
There have been several reports, yes.
Old Mar 20, 20, 10:48 pm

Originally Posted by jsloan View Post
There have been several reports, yes.
2 people are on my ticket. Me = Plat. Wife = Silver. I bought the ticket with all my miles. If I pay for a redeposit, or rebook then cancel >61 days from flight, do I pay 2 x Plat fees, or 1xPlat + 1xSilver fees?
Old Mar 20, 20, 11:02 pm

So even if you have a cancelled flight on your award ticket, they won't redeposit for free?
Old Mar 20, 20, 11:12 pm

Originally Posted by michael_v View Post
So even if you have a cancelled flight on your award ticket, they won't redeposit for free?
Correct

How are mileage redeposit fees collected? Can I pay them with a different card than used to pay the taxes on an award booking?

Wondering if the redeposit fee will count toward my Amex Plat airline fee credit

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Mar 20, 20 at 11:36 pm Reason: merged consecutive posts by same member
Old Mar 20, 20, 11:18 pm

Correct
But you still have to call to ask for what?
Old Mar 20, 20, 11:37 pm
Moderator: United Airlines; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 1.85MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
2 people are on my ticket. Me = Plat. Wife = Silver. I bought the ticket with all my miles. If I pay for a redeposit, or rebook then cancel >61 days from flight, do I pay 2 x Plat fees, or 1xPlat + 1xSilver fees?
Fees are based on the source of the miles -- Plat miles, Plat fees
jsloan and FlyingHighlander like this.
Old Mar 21, 20, 12:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I am approaching the 61 day limit for a trip to Europe. Looking at how long it took China to get things under control, I doubt Europe/US will be in good shape by then. I think the likelihood that all my flights will operate is low. So, I can probably qualify under the waiver.

However....I think I probably will choose to pay the $25 (I am Gold) now to get the miles and taxes back. Reasons:

1 - I doubt I will go before the 1 year is up
2 - I save $50
3 - I get the taxes back now
4 - who knows if UA might increase the fee later and make it retroactive
5 - who knows if UA will be around
6 - should things improve, maybe lower award levels will be available (UA is not clear on what will happen with residuals for award tickets)

Thoughts? Thanks.
nerdbirdsjc likes this.
Old Mar 21, 20, 7:28 am

Originally Posted by username View Post
I am approaching the 61 day limit for a trip to Europe. I think I probably will choose to pay the $25 (I am Gold) now to get the miles and taxes back. Reasons:

1 - I doubt I will go before the 1 year is up
2 - I save $50
3 - I get the taxes back now
I have canceled multiple award tickets for just these reasons plus another big benefit is you can forget about the "credits", PNRs, etc... it's all done.
Old Mar 21, 20, 7:35 am

Programs: UA GS
Quick question: I'm booked on UA838 (NRT to SFO) next month. According the the latest United announcement, this flight will be cancelled. What typically happens in this case? Will United re-book me on ANA (assuming there is award space available), or will they book me on a revenue ticket if no award space is available, or will they just refund everything? Thanks!
Old Mar 21, 20, 7:39 am

I have award tickets to Europe on a flight with a travel waiver and am outside the 61 day window. Since I have no status my redeposit fee is now $75/ticket. If I cancel now but wait and rebook before the date my reservation was made (Dec 2019) I believe I could do so with no fee (assuming I find a similar award flight). If I choose to cancel NOW and redeposit later (after the 61 day) will my fee be the $75/ticket or will it become $125/ticket? In other words is the redeposit fee based on the date of cancellation or the date of redeposit? Thanks.
Old Mar 21, 20, 7:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

4 - who knows if UA might increase the fee later and make it retroactive
The fees are written into the fare rules. Based on UA's recent behavior, I wouldn't put it past them to try, but I don't think they can really do this.

6 - should things improve, maybe lower award levels will be available (UA is not clear on what will happen with residuals for award tickets)
For tickets booked prior to March 2, residual miles would definitely be refunded. For tickets booked after March 2, I'm not sure, as I haven't looked at the fare rules.

If UA isn't around, what good are their miles?
If UA isn't around, the MileagePlus program is one of their more attractive assets. I suspect it would be purchased by somebody. PanAm's program was purchased by Delta.

Originally Posted by sfosin View Post
Quick question: I'm booked on UA838 (NRT to SFO) next month. According the the latest United announcement, this flight will be cancelled. What typically happens in this case? Will United re-book me on ANA (assuming there is award space available), or will they book me on a revenue ticket if no award space is available, or will they just refund everything? Thanks!
I'm guessing, from the question, that you have an award reservation. If ANA is operating a flight and has award space, you should be able to be put on that. There is near-zero chance that they would book you on a revenue ticket. Unfortunately, they're also currently claiming that they don't have to offer (immediate) refunds, either; what they'll do is tell you that you can use the miles up until the date that the ticket expires, with no change fee, and if you're not able to do that, then they will refund them. If you don't find that satisfactory, I suggest filing a DOT complaint (assuming they do actually refuse your refund request).

Originally Posted by Readytoretire View Post
I have award tickets to Europe on a flight with a travel waiver and am outside the 61 day window. Since I have no status my redeposit fee is now $75/ticket. If I cancel now but wait and rebook before the date my reservation was made (Dec 2019) I believe I could do so with no fee (assuming I find a similar award flight). If I choose to cancel NOW and redeposit later (after the 61 day) will my fee be the $75/ticket or will it become $125/ticket? In other words is the redeposit fee based on the date of cancellation or the date of redeposit? Thanks.
That's a good question. I think the redeposit fee would be based upon the date of cancellation, but these are relatively uncharted waters. The old redeposit fee didn't depend upon the date of travel, and under the newer fee structure, redeposit and change fees were always identical until COVID-19. So, there was never any reason to cancel and defer redeposit. Logically, once you've canceled the trip, you've given UA the 60-day notice that they wanted, and there's no future travel date for you to be less than 60 days from.
Old Mar 21, 20, 12:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jsloan View Post
For tickets booked prior to March 2, residual miles would definitely be refunded. For tickets booked after March 2, I'm not sure, as I haven't looked at the fare rules.

If UA isn't around, the MileagePlus program is one of their more attractive assets. I suspect it would be purchased by somebody. PanAm's program was purchased by Delta.
Right now, my ticket is 90,000 miles (Y + J) and the taxes were about $200. So, it sounds like if they will refund the residual, then I can:

1 - wait and see in the unlikely event that things will clear up by late May (I highly highly doubt it - and I am going to 2 countries through 3 countries on UA/LH/LX)

2 - I can just re-book on some cheap domestic flight (say $5.60 and 5000 miles) and get the differences in taxes and miles back? So, I save the $75 ($125 for regular members) but, if I don't use the domestic ticket, lose $5.60 + some miles

I am still learning toward paying the $25 and cancel now since I really think this will drag out for at least 2-3 months.

So, if UA sells MileagePlus, it could turn into an Aeroplan (before AC bought it back again). That would not be good... I really hope the big 3 + WN + AS + B6 survive. We need competition!
Old Mar 21, 20, 12:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Right now, my ticket is 90,000 miles (Y + J) and the taxes were about $200. So, it sounds like if they will refund the residual, then I can:

1 - wait and see in the unlikely event that things will clear up by late May (I highly highly doubt it - and I am going to 2 countries through 3 countries on UA/LH/LX)

2 - I can just re-book on some cheap domestic flight (say $5.60 and 5000 miles) and get the differences in taxes and miles back? So, I save the $75 ($125 for regular members) but, if I don't use the domestic ticket, lose $5.60 + some miles
Correct.

So, if UA sells MileagePlus, it could turn into an Aeroplan (before AC bought it back again). That would not be good... I really hope the big 3 + WN + AS + B6 survive. We need competition!
Yes, that's possible. The most likely sale would be to another airline, but I could also see a third party step in and offer to run MileagePlus like Aeroplan was run.

Search this Thread