Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA Award tkt change/cancellation/redeposit/fees Q&As: No fees pre-travel

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 19, 2017, 10:35 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Award ticketing options/service fees
There are no longer any fees for worldwide UA award cancellation or mileage redeposit done pre-travel including UA partner awards

8 Nov 2022
As part of the 2023 MileagePlus program updates award redeposit fees are being removed for all levels beginning 1 Jan 2023
**This does not apply to redepositing after a no-show**

Originally Posted by United award ticket redeposit fee removal
All redeposit fees associated with canceling award travel have been removed, so you have more choice and control over managing plans. United is committed to meeting customer expectations by providing more flexibility throughout the travel experience.
https://www.united.com/en/us/fly/mil...whats-new.html

https://www.united.com/ual/en/us/fly...icketing.html

Archive: UA Award tkt change/cancellation/redeposit/fees Q&As: No fees pre-travel
Print Wikipost

UA Award tkt change/cancellation/redeposit/fees Q&As: No fees pre-travel

Search this Thread

Old Jul 26, 2023, 5:41 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC, DL Gold
Originally Posted by cfischer
voluntary changes will re-price. Involuntary changes will get an 'even exchange'

Got it, thank you!
Old Aug 11, 2023, 12:11 pm

I am confused about if all redeposit fees have been eliminated. I am seeing conflicting info.

I have a flight on UA metal. It originates in Paris and goes to US. I booked it today. I have no status.

If I am reading it correctly, the fare rule states there is a $125 redeposit fee if I cancel less than 30 days from the flight. I have read elsewhere that exists only if I am a no show. The UA website says no fee if cancelled anytime before flight.

I know non US origination had different rules at one time.

What is the actual rule?
Old Aug 11, 2023, 12:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mileshound
What is the actual rule?
No fee if canceled prior to departure. No-show fee, regardless of status, if not canceled prior to departure. Origin is not relevant.

https://www.united.com/ual/en/us/fly...ticketing.html
SPN Lifer and hightide like this.
Old Aug 11, 2023, 12:45 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by mileshound
I am confused about if all redeposit fees have been eliminated. I am seeing conflicting info.

I have a flight on UA metal. It originates in Paris and goes to US. I booked it today. I have no status.

If I am reading it correctly, the fare rule states there is a $125 redeposit fee if I cancel less than 30 days from the flight. I have read elsewhere that exists only if I am a no show. The UA website says no fee if cancelled anytime before flight.

I know non US origination had different rules at one time.

What is the actual rule?
Yes depending on when the fare rule was generated, it may be out-of-date. The website is the present policy.

A fee for some for booking and a no show redeposit fee for everyone
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Aug 17, 2023, 7:18 am

Originally Posted by jsloan
No fee if canceled prior to departure. No-show fee, regardless of status, if not canceled prior to departure. Origin is not relevant.

https://www.united.com/ual/en/us/fly...ticketing.html
is there any time limit to cancel a flight or you can cancel up to the departure time?
Old Aug 17, 2023, 7:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by spacemanvt
is there any time limit to cancel a flight or you can cancel up to the departure time?
You can cancel anytime before you've been marked a no-show for the flight. I'd aim for at least 60 minutes prior to departure if possible to avoid complications.
SPN Lifer, Xyzzy and spacemanvt like this.
Old Aug 17, 2023, 11:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by jsloan
You can cancel anytime before you've been marked a no-show for the flight. I'd aim for at least 60 minutes prior to departure if possible to avoid complications.
also would add on that if you do not meet any of the pre-flight deadlines, your ticket will be canceled at that point. So if you try to cancel just prior to departure, but haven’t checked in by the 45 minute deadline (for most flights), you’ll likely find you’ve already been considered a no-show and your ticket will already have been canceled.

technically, if you’ve met those deadlines, you can cancel up to the time the GA closes the flight without you on it. That might be up to 15 minutes before departure (domestic) or 30 minutes (international), or sometimes even a few minutes past departure. Obviously, assume the latter based on your own sense of risk (I wouldn’t try it).

The closest I’ve ever come was within about 10 minutes of departure. A few hours before departure, I found out I was going to need to cancel my trip, but I noticed that the flight was showing as full and was Y0, so I decided to go to the airport to see if I might be able to VDB, as it seemed there might be a good chance. So went all the way to the gate, volunteered myself, but during boarding, it became clear they weren’t going to need anyone, so I canceled then and there.
jsloan, SPN Lifer, Xyzzy and 3 others like this.
Old Aug 17, 2023, 12:41 pm

To my knowledge, no-show processing runs only once and that is several minutes after actual departure. While missing the check-in deadline inhibits customer self-checkin, the reservation is still there and the customer can still be checked-in by a CSR.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Aug 17, 2023, 6:11 pm

Programs: UA Gold, Marriott Titanium/Lifetime Platinum, IHG Platinum, National Executive
Points Booking on Partner Airlines

Hi --
Recently had a points flight that we needed to cancel, found the cancellation policy to be excellent as we ended up with full refund of points. Honestly better than travel insurance.

Now thinking about trying to rebook the trip we had planned for next year...found an option for a flight that works for us on a partner flight...was wondering if we needed to cancel again, is the redeposit policy as generous?

This would be a united miles, booked via united website for a partner flight.
Old Aug 17, 2023, 6:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by blackavar
Now thinking about trying to rebook the trip we had planned for next year...found an option for a flight that works for us on a partner flight...was wondering if we needed to cancel again, is the redeposit policy as generous?
Yes. The MileagePlus redeposit policy for award travel is identical whether you choose UA flights or partner flights.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Aug 18, 2023, 7:06 am

ne plus ultra

Last edited by beltway; Apr 5, 2024 at 12:36 pm
Old Aug 23, 2023, 10:40 am

Programs: AA Exec Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by emcampbe

The closest I’ve ever come was within about 10 minutes of departure. A few hours before departure, I found out I was going to need to cancel my trip, but I noticed that the flight was showing as full and was Y0, so I decided to go to the airport to see if I might be able to VDB, as it seemed there might be a good chance. So went all the way to the gate, volunteered myself, but during boarding, it became clear they weren’t going to need anyone, so I canceled then and there.
Have done that a couple times. Did not ever get the bump - karma, ehh?

Back (way back) when I had UA status I had a freind who traveled frequently for biz who was 1k, we would play the book a couple award biz tickets game, where I would cancel a few minutes before boarding to wash out the TOD upgrades. Worked pretty well.
Old Aug 23, 2023, 1:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Surface Interval
Have done that a couple times. Did not ever get the bump - karma, ehh?
For sure.

interestingly enough, not getting a VDB arguably wasn’t the worst part of that whole transaction. This was back in the day of $200 domestic change fees. About an hour after canceling, my connecting flight was canceled. So the FFC I got had $200 deducted when I changed to a new itinerary, which wouldn’t have happened if I would have been able to wait another hour or so to cancel. So that was something else in addition to karma.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Aug 24, 2023, 9:54 am

Is there a way to lock in price before cancelling and rebooking?

I have a flight that is LAX-EWR-JNB-CPT, all on one ticket but the last leg is on SA Airlink. I booked with miles but used the wrong CC to pay for the taxes/fees. I want to rebook using a different card to pay for the taxes/fees since it has better travel protections. The flight is the same amount of miles right now, but when I called in, the agent said there was no way to put a hold on the fare due to the partner leg, and I would have to cancel, wait anywhere from immediately to 72 hours for the miles to credit and then hope the price hasn't changes before I rebook. Is this correct? Any other way to accomplish what I'm trying to do?
Old Aug 24, 2023, 10:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by nfox90
The flight is the same amount of miles right now, but when I called in, the agent said there was no way to put a hold on the fare due to the partner leg, and I would have to cancel, wait anywhere from immediately to 72 hours for the miles to credit and then hope the price hasn't changes before I rebook. Is this correct? Any other way to accomplish what I'm trying to do?
Yes, that is correct. However, in most cases the refund will be instant, and if it is not, you can contact the MileagePlus Service Center directly and they can push it through: https://www.united.com/ual/en/us/fly...tact-info.html
SPN Lifer and nfox90 like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.