Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA award booking, change questions / issues / routing / excursionist problems / help

Old Jan 19, 2017, 10:23 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Main Impact
  • No more free stopover - replaced with Excursionist Perk
  • Agents no longer have the ability to find routings or build itineraries that do not show up on united.com
  • Manually constructing trips using multi-city search results in multiple award fares being charged
  • Changing any segment basically requires current availability for all existing Os&Ds in the PNR (as if a brand new booking is made)
  • Singapore Airlines segments are priced separately (add-ons)

Useful Links
EveryDay Awards - UA MP award changes 1 Nov 2017 (Everyday award/dynamic price, No RTW, No Show fee,..)
principle change - Standard awards being replaced by "EveryDay Award" with variable pricing

What is the Excursionist Perk?
The Excursionist Perk is a free one-way award within select multi-city itineraries. Members who book an itinerary with three or more one-way awards will be eligible to receive one of those one-way awards for free, if it meets all of these conditions:
The Excursionist Perk cannot be in the MileagePlus defined region where your travel originates. (For example, if your journey begins in North America, you will only receive the Excursionist Perk if travel is within a region outside of North America.)
  • Travel must end in the same MileagePlus defined region where travel originates.
  • The origin and destination of the Excursionist Perk is within a single MileagePlus defined region.
  • The cabin of service and award type of the free one-way award is the same or lower than the one-way award preceding it.
  • If two or more one-way awards qualify for this benefit, only the first occurrence will be free.

Previous thread -- UA award booking,change questions/fees/issues/routing/excursionist problems {Archive}

Print Wikipost

UA award booking, change questions / issues / routing / excursionist problems / help

Old May 29, 2024, 7:08 am

Originally Posted by SPN Lifer
Is there a map of the UA regions somewhere?
Here's one of them:
https://travel-dealz.com/blog/united...erk-world-map/
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old May 31, 2024, 12:55 pm

Programs: UA 1K, JetBlue Mosaic
Originally Posted by cfischer
I would wait a few days. UA just ran some major changes and devaluations and I would not be surprised, if that hasn't messed up other things.
Still having this problem, this time with an itinerary from North America to Asia through Europe.

AC is showing EWR-WAW-NRT on LO in I the whole way on 8/22.

United refuses to price this itinerary O/D, but shows the I space in multi city search.

228k yeesh

Anyone have any luck pricing these types of itineraries out on United? I really hope they're not dead
Old May 31, 2024, 1:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by JALsnipe
Still having this problem, this time with an itinerary from North America to Asia through Europe.
You’re not going to Asia — you’re going to Japan. I don’t think North America - Europe - Japan has ever been a valid routing, although North America - Europe - South Asia and North America - Europe - North Asia both are, IIRC.
Old May 31, 2024, 1:26 pm

Originally Posted by jsloan
Youre not going to Asia youre going to Japan. I dont think North America - Europe - Japan has ever been a valid routing, although North America - Europe - South Asia and North America - Europe - North Asia both are, IIRC.
Sure it has, you could price out NYC-ADD-ICN/PEK/NRT (with stops in LFW and ICN depending on routing) on ET or USA-FRA/MUC-HND on LH before the April deval.
Old May 31, 2024, 1:37 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA LT Plat 2MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Sure it has, you could price out NYC-ADD-ICN/PEK/NRT (with stops in LFW and ICN depending on routing) on ET
That is not NA-Europe-Japan
or USA-FRA/MUC-HND on LH before the April deval.
But that is NA-Europe-Japan

But also thought that has not been option for sometime.
Old May 31, 2024, 1:46 pm

I hope you can understand what I mean but let me make it super clear.
I have observed you could book USA-Africa-Asia (including Korea, China, and Japan) on ET and USA-Europe-Japan on LH/LO as awards on united.com in an O/D search when award space space was available on all sectors.

I do not know when this all stopped, but I do know the Ethiopian routings were bookable as recently as April. I will go try to find screenshots. I am just looking for validation to see if others have run into this.

Edit: Here are some examples of itineraries that were bookable as recently as last month pre-deval

Last edited by JALsnipe; May 31, 2024 at 8:25 pm
Old May 31, 2024, 1:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I have observed you could book USA-Africa-Asia (including Korea, China, and Japan) on ET and USA-Europe-Japan on LH/LO as awards on united.com in an O/D search when I or O space was available on all sectors.
I had never seen US-Europe-Japan, but I admit I didnt look that hard for it, and Im willing to take your word for it.

It may be that UA has decided to drop that routing, or it may just be a coincidence. Even prior to April, the search engine didnt return every single valid combination of flights.
Old May 31, 2024, 2:05 pm

Originally Posted by jsloan
I had never seen US-Europe-Japan, but I admit I didn’t look that hard for it, and I’m willing to take your word for it.
Found an old screenshot from 4/23 to prove to myself I wasn't crazy

I am just frustrated that UA is (seemingly) no longer allowing this routing.
Old Jun 1, 2024, 4:59 pm

Redeem miles to Hokkaido in 2025 mid/late Jan to early Feb (from Taiwan)

Currently (May) I see very limited award flight options from Taipei to CTS (Hokkaido) available for 2025 mid/late Jan to early Feb (CNY period) via UA reservation portal. I called the UA and the agent said more may become available in sep / oct but she seemed unsure.

Question: Does anyone know if there is a typical timeline on when star alliance partner airlines would release seats x months before travel dates? or there is simply very limited award flight options during CNY (peak) period.
Old Jun 1, 2024, 9:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by hojaichung
Question: Does anyone know if there is a typical timeline on when star alliance partner airlines would release seats x months before travel dates?
These is not.

Originally Posted by hojaichung
or there is simply very limited award flight options during CNY (peak) period.
This. The airlines preference with award seats is to give those seats away that they dont expect to sell. Around CNY, to/from TPE, I imagine they expect to sell every seat.
SPN Lifer and aquanine like this.
Old Jun 2, 2024, 7:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Found an old screenshot from 4/23 to prove to myself I wasn't crazy
I am just frustrated that UA is (seemingly) no longer allowing this routing.
I have booked these and LH/LX/TK etc. offers these routings routinely and they are in principle available an awards - too bad if UA is blocking these now Has anyone tried to book them over the phone?
Old Jun 2, 2024, 9:00 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, MLife Gold, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Caesars Diamond, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by frappant
So the saver award I booked is SFO-SYD-CNS and SYD-SFO.

I learned that January is the worst month for Cairns.

I tried changing the itinerary but when I do a search, the SFO-SYD saver no longer appears. Does that mean I would have to cancel and release it, then hope to be able to grab it again?
I recently canceled an award and it did NOT go back into inventory so I would not risk that. You could try calling to see if an agent can change that one leg. I dont think they will usually do it but upthread someone was successful.
Old Jun 3, 2024, 12:49 pm

Programs: United Mileage Plus
Originally Posted by Stgermainparis
I recently canceled an award and it did NOT go back into inventory so I would not risk that. You could try calling to see if an agent can change that one leg. I dont think they will usually do it but upthread someone was successful.

Thanks, I switched it to SFO-BNE-HBA and SYS-SFO on different dates. I would probably have called and asked them instead of just returning the inventory.
Old Jun 3, 2024, 5:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat

AC is showing EWR-WAW-NRT on LO in I the whole way on 8/22.

United refuses to price this itinerary O/D, but shows the I space in multi city search.

228k yeesh

Anyone have any luck pricing these types of itineraries out on United? I really hope they're not dead
I have been able to do this over the phone, but you need a very willing agent. Has been 2 years since I tried (and was successful), so YMMV with the recent devals.
Old Jun 6, 2024, 4:25 pm

Programs: UA Mileage Plus, Amtrak Guest Rewards
All: Im looking for advice regarding how to handle a booking. My wife and I are EWR/PHL based and are planning a trip out to the Island Hopper. Our current itinerary as of now is:

Sunday 13-Oct PHL/EWR-HNL
Monday 14-Oct HNL-PNI
Monday 21-Oct PNI-KSA
Saturday 26-Oct KSA-GUM
Monday 28-Oct GUM-HNL (on UA155)
Monday 28-Oct HNL-PHL/EWR.

Well be flying in F/J for the entire trip.

Originally, we were going to book this as two separate tickets USA in cash, Island Hopper in Miles. However the Mileage rates between HNL and any Island Hopper destination were recently inflated to an atrocious 400k per person in J, which is more expensive than a single ticket PHL/EWR to PNI in J.

So I searched available single trips from PHL/EWR to PNI, and while I found some good rates, they all require us to take either UA1170, arriving in HNL at 7:40pm from LAX, or UA638, arriving in HNL at 9:30pm from SFO. There are various departures EWR/PHL to LAX/SFO, including some early morning flights that arrive into LAX/SFO in time for earlier flights to HNL, but were not being given that option.

The same thing is happening on the return trip, were being forced into a shorter connection in HNL than we would like. My understanding was that UA allows up to 24 hours for an international connection, however nothing over 12 hours is showing up as an aware fare. (Note that GUM-PHL doesn't offer a routing via UA155, I was going to book GUM-MAJ/MAJ-PHL and pay the extra segment since it's still significantly fewer miles than booking to/from HNL).

Im trying to avoid a short overnight connection in HNL so we can be rested and not be tired for the Island Hopper Portion. Neither Mrs. nor myself can sleep on planes. That was a requirement that booking two separate trips satisfied.

Ive also explored booking the USA portion as an award trip and the Island Hopper portion as an award trip, however the high cash fare makes it hard to justify and turns the extra sleep into some expensive sleep (about $4,500 worth of sleep).

Ive contacted UA on Facebook and requested rates on specific flights and have been quoted rates around the 535k range PHL-PNI, which is equal to a 135K PHL-ORD-HNL plus a 400K HNL-PNI, something completely not doable.

Does anyone have any suggestions regarding how to handle this? Again, the goal is to simply extend the layover in HNL while avoiding a huge cash price increase.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.