Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA award booking, change questions / issues / routing / excursionist problems / help

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 19, 2017, 10:23 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Main Impact
  • No more free stopover - replaced with Excursionist Perk
  • Agents no longer have the ability to find routings or build itineraries that do not show up on united.com
  • Manually constructing trips using multi-city search results in multiple award fares being charged
  • Changing any segment basically requires current availability for all existing Os&Ds in the PNR (as if a brand new booking is made)
  • Singapore Airlines segments are priced separately (add-ons)

Useful Links
EveryDay Awards - UA MP award changes 1 Nov 2017 (Everyday award/dynamic price, No RTW, No Show fee,..)
principle change - Standard awards being replaced by "EveryDay Award" with variable pricing

What is the Excursionist Perk?
The Excursionist Perk is a free one-way award within select multi-city itineraries. Members who book an itinerary with three or more one-way awards will be eligible to receive one of those one-way awards for free, if it meets all of these conditions:
The Excursionist Perk cannot be in the MileagePlus defined region where your travel originates. (For example, if your journey begins in North America, you will only receive the Excursionist Perk if travel is within a region outside of North America.)
  • Travel must end in the same MileagePlus defined region where travel originates.
  • The origin and destination of the Excursionist Perk is within a single MileagePlus defined region.
  • The cabin of service and award type of the free one-way award is the same or lower than the one-way award preceding it.
  • If two or more one-way awards qualify for this benefit, only the first occurrence will be free.

Previous thread -- UA award booking,change questions/fees/issues/routing/excursionist problems {Archive}

Print Wikipost

UA award booking, change questions / issues / routing / excursionist problems / help

Search this Thread

Old Jan 23, 2024, 10:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Stgermainparis
LH tried to sue someone for not completing last leg.
Just as a grocery store would sue someone for swapping price tags. The reason that the nonstop isn’t available by itself is that LH knows it’s more valuable.

Originally Posted by Stgermainparis
The most irritating thing is they allow LH and LX or OS but not LH and LH, which would suit me fine. Is this a UA restriction or is it imposed by LH and the others?
It’s imposed by LH.
Old Jan 24, 2024, 5:34 pm

Booked IAD-LIS RT, and noticed the outbound segment is now 10k miles less. However if I pull up the existing reservation and try and change that flight (to switch to the lower redemption amount), all it offers me is the (insane) business class fare.

Is this just something to fully re-book and then cancel the original? Or is there a way to make the change with the existing reservation?
Old Jan 24, 2024, 6:19 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, MLife Gold, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Caesars Diamond, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by adams828
Booked IAD-LIS RT, and noticed the outbound segment is now 10k miles less. However if I pull up the existing reservation and try and change that flight (to switch to the lower redemption amount), all it offers me is the (insane) business class fare.

Is this just something to fully re-book and then cancel the original? Or is there a way to make the change with the existing reservation?
I would call on this. They can set up the new one before killing the old one. I once canceled to rebook and the new booking ran into a hiccup and the whole thing fell apart and I lost the original. Truly sucked.
Old Jan 24, 2024, 9:21 pm

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
1. There is no change / cancellation fees anymore for award, so no price penalty for changing 2 one-ways vs roundtrip
2. Rebooking roundtrips may require new availability for all segments, rebooking a one-way only requires availability for that portion.
3. Each one-way can be funded from different accounts, roundtrips must be funded from the same account.
4. With one-ways awards you can pick the best carrier award program for each direction
5. With a roundtrip, if yo want to cancel the return, you forfeit the extra mileage, with one-ways you can cancel the return and get the miles

The downside is the excursion segment is only available for roundtrips

More in Award Travel: Do you book one-ways or round trip
Hi, for #5, if I want to cancel the return due to a schedule change, also can't get the half miles back?
Old Jan 24, 2024, 9:29 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by Kualoa
Hi, for #5, if I want to cancel the return due to a schedule change, also can't get the half miles back?
If the schedule change exceeds 2 hours, yes. How many depends on the fare construction. The outbound is not necessarily the same as the inbound.
jsloan and Kualoa like this.
Old Jan 25, 2024, 1:24 am

If the schedule change exceeds 2 hours, yes. How many depends on the fare construction. The outbound is not necessarily the same as the inbound.
Thanks. Could this be done online or have to call? How about after the excursionist segment, it's also possible to get the refund after a 2 hours schedule change?
Old Jan 25, 2024, 6:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Thanks. Could this be done online or have to call? How about after the excursionist segment, it's also possible to get the refund after a 2 hours schedule change?
the excursionist segment is free, but I am sure you can get the airport taxes back - might have to wait till travel is complete.
Old Jan 25, 2024, 9:55 am

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Thanks. Could this be done online or have to call? How about after the excursionist segment, it's also possible to get the refund after a 2 hours schedule change??
You will need to call/

Additionally if this includes partner flights, best to be done only after the partner flights have been flown. UA can not guarantee partner flights will be retained / re-confirmed after a ticket change. Sometimes yes, sometimes no -- up to the partner.
Old Jan 25, 2024, 7:41 pm

Programs: UA*S, CX*S, CI*G
Is there a way to combine (marry) two saver awards into one to get a better price?
Was trying to connect two United flights with XN availability but the combination just never showed up despite their respective availability.
This layover time, if connected, is within a 24-hour window.
Called the agent and got the ticket as two segments individually priced, which are double the original miles needed.
Is there a way to go around this? (I believe chances are rare but want to give it a try)
Old Jan 25, 2024, 8:13 pm

Originally Posted by fleuve
Is there a way to combine (marry) two saver awards into one to get a better price?
Was trying to connect two United flights with XN availability but the combination just never showed up despite their respective availability.
This layover time, if connected, is within a 24-hour window.
Called the agent and got the ticket as two segments individually priced, which are double the original miles needed.
Is there a way to go around this? (I believe chances are rare but want to give it a try)
A la carte awards are priced as separate awards. Neither you or phone agent can piece together awards without this pricing penalty.

One suggestion is to search and purchase oneway awards vs round trips. This increases the search depth and might capture your desired segments (or not). This does mean you can not do excursion segments but in places like europe, rail is a good alternative and more flexible.
SPN Lifer and fleuve like this.
Old Jan 25, 2024, 10:32 pm

You will need to call/

Additionally if this includes partner flights, best to be done only after the partner flights have been flown. UA can not guarantee partner flights will be retained / re-confirmed after a ticket change. Sometimes yes, sometimes no -- up to the partner.
Thanks. I mean cancel the return segment (not change) after the the excursionist segment has been flown. As long as the schedule change is > 2 hours, I can cancel and get the return segment miles back?
Old Jan 25, 2024, 10:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Thanks. I mean cancel the return segment (not change) after the the excursionist segment has been flown. As long as the schedule change is > 2 hours, I can cancel and get the return segment miles back?
At that point, you’re getting into a fuzzy area. If you were to cancel at that point, the normal behavior would be to charge you for what you flew and refund what you didn’t. It’s possible that UA would still give you the 0-mile Excursionist Perk; it’s also possible that they’d charge you for the leg that had previously been zero, on account of the fact that one-way journeys aren’t eligible for an Excursionist Perk in the first place.
SPN Lifer and Kualoa like this.
Old Jan 29, 2024, 6:35 pm

Programs: Don't think it matters...
Originally Posted by jsloan
OK, so not a preclearance airport, which would have made the connection time legally.

Yes. If you go back and check, you’ll find that there’s been a schedule change — they wouldn’t have sold this itinerary to you as listed. Go into the United website, do a search for SIN-PDX on that date, and they generally should be willing to put you onto any flight that comes back in your current class of service, without charging you any difference in miles. If you want an itinerary operated by partner airlines, you may need to argue a bit or hang up and call again. If your itinerary is purely operated by UA, it should be an easier conversation.

You should also be able to select an overnight stay at SFO if you wish, but UA will not pay for your hotel.
Spoke to UA CS.
They say Intl to Domestic MCT in SFO is 60 mins and my current 75min connection in SFO is within MCT so any changes will be voluntary changes and as luck would have it there are no saver fares on any of the legs.
Original ticket is DEL - SIN (SQ) - SFO (UA) - PDX (UA).
Is the MCT for SFO listed somewhere clearly mentioned as basic googling just gets me travel blogger posts.
Old Jan 29, 2024, 6:46 pm

Originally Posted by abhilife2001
Spoke to UA CS.
They say Intl to Domestic MCT in SFO is 60 mins and my current 75min connection in SFO is within MCT so any changes will be voluntary changes and as luck would have it there are no saver fares on any of the legs.
Original ticket is DEL - SIN (SQ) - SFO (UA) - PDX (UA).
Is the MCT for SFO listed somewhere clearly mentioned as basic googling just gets me travel blogger posts.
ID UA-UA MCT @ SFO is 80 mins (1:20) per expert flyer, 60 minutes does not sound right (or doable)

Time for another call or chat.
jsloan likes this.
Old Jan 29, 2024, 8:53 pm

Programs: Don't think it matters...
ID UA-UA MCT @ SFO is 80 mins (1:20) per expert flyer, 60 minutes does not sound right (or doable)

Time for another call or chat.
i told them that but they insisted on it being 60mins. Any public website where mct’s are listed and I can ask them to validate ?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.