Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA award booking, change questions / issues / routing / excursionist problems / help

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 19, 2017, 10:23 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Main Impact
  • No more free stopover - replaced with Excursionist Perk
  • Agents no longer have the ability to find routings or build itineraries that do not show up on united.com
  • Manually constructing trips using multi-city search results in multiple award fares being charged
  • Changing any segment basically requires current availability for all existing Os&Ds in the PNR (as if a brand new booking is made)
  • Singapore Airlines segments are priced separately (add-ons)

Useful Links
EveryDay Awards - UA MP award changes 1 Nov 2017 (Everyday award/dynamic price, No RTW, No Show fee,..)
principle change - Standard awards being replaced by "EveryDay Award" with variable pricing

What is the Excursionist Perk?
The Excursionist Perk is a free one-way award within select multi-city itineraries. Members who book an itinerary with three or more one-way awards will be eligible to receive one of those one-way awards for free, if it meets all of these conditions:
The Excursionist Perk cannot be in the MileagePlus defined region where your travel originates. (For example, if your journey begins in North America, you will only receive the Excursionist Perk if travel is within a region outside of North America.)
  • Travel must end in the same MileagePlus defined region where travel originates.
  • The origin and destination of the Excursionist Perk is within a single MileagePlus defined region.
  • The cabin of service and award type of the free one-way award is the same or lower than the one-way award preceding it.
  • If two or more one-way awards qualify for this benefit, only the first occurrence will be free.

Previous thread -- UA award booking,change questions/fees/issues/routing/excursionist problems {Archive}

Print Wikipost

UA award booking, change questions / issues / routing / excursionist problems / help

Search this Thread

Old Aug 18, 2023, 9:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
With a travel waiver you should be able to change to the flight to a non-stop and 'TYO' will allow HND and NRT, that should work
rcch0 likes this.
Old Aug 18, 2023, 9:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by cfischer
With a travel waiver you should be able to change to the flight to a non-stop and 'TYO' will allow HND and NRT, that should work
While you might be able to change between NRT and HND, I don't think you'd be able to change between LGA and EWR.
rcch0 likes this.
Old Aug 19, 2023, 2:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by jsloan
While you might be able to change between NRT and HND, I don't think you'd be able to change between LGA and EWR.
co-terminal should work. Not for SDC or anything voluntary., but I have certainly been able to change between NYC airports during a weather waiver
SPN Lifer and rcch0 like this.
Old Aug 25, 2023, 9:41 pm

Programs: DL PM - IC RA - HHonors Gold - Hertz Gold - AA - US - CO - Choice Privileges
With a travel waiver you are competing with other people affected by the travel waiver; other people with status, non-award tickets, access to the lounge staff...
Old Aug 25, 2023, 11:22 pm

4/30/24 SFO->AMS has ON9 and O9

i bought 2 ON tickets at 50K ea, inlaws were going to book 2 ON but dynamic pricing kicked in after I purchased my 2, jumped to 116.5K ea. Do these ON awards typically go back down or risk waiting for close-in reduction?

If we were to choose a different day or destination, doesn't seem to be a way to guarantee 4 tickets at the same fare?
Old Aug 25, 2023, 11:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by PathSelector
i bought 2 ON tickets at 50K ea, inlaws were going to book 2 ON but dynamic pricing kicked in after I purchased my 2, jumped to 116.5K ea. Do these ON awards typically go back down or risk waiting for close-in reduction?
You’re booking 8 months prior to travel and expecting UA’s best price. I’m surprised you found even two at 50K, honestly.

If we were to choose a different day or destination, doesn't seem to be a way to guarantee 4 tickets at the same fare?
Only if you buy them on the same PNR.

Honestly, four tickets on a discount PE award is going to be tough. You’re trying to reserve 16% of the cabin. UA has been overselling PE regularly, so I doubt they’re going to feel a lot of desire to offer discounts.

That said, it is certainly possible that the fare will drop if you wait. There’s just no way to know.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Aug 25, 2023, 11:51 pm

Originally Posted by jsloan
You’re booking 8 months prior to travel and expecting UA’s best price. I’m surprised you found even two at 50K, honestly.

Only if you buy them on the same PNR.

Honestly, four tickets on a discount PE award is going to be tough. You’re trying to reserve 16% of the cabin. UA has been overselling PE regularly, so I doubt they’re going to feel a lot of desire to offer discounts.

That said, it is certainly possible that the fare will drop if you wait. There’s just no way to know.
Yea, I was going to buy all 4 on the same PNR, probably should have done that to begin with.
jsloan and SPN Lifer like this.
Old Aug 26, 2023, 7:19 pm

Also wondering if I were to cancel my 2 PE Award tickets, does that lower the price back down? There are only 3 other seats booked in PE
Old Aug 26, 2023, 7:32 pm

Also wondering if I were to cancel my 2 PE Award tickets, does that lower the price back down? There are only 3 other seats booked in PE
Maybe, maybe not. As I understand how things work, when you book for a party of two or more, you're offered the price (or miles in this case) of the lowest inventory bucket that has enough inventory for the entire group. So if you tried to book all four at once, you might have been told the miles price for all four was 116.5 each.

Another factor is that the authorized level for each bucket can be changed resulting in that bucket now being oversold, even if the cabin as a whole isn't. If 2 were available when you first booked but was later lowered to 1 (so at that point, 1 authorized, 2 booked, -1 available), if you cancel and try to rebook, you may find it's no longer available for a party of two.
jsloan and SPN Lifer like this.
Old Aug 26, 2023, 7:55 pm

Originally Posted by BelmontRef
Maybe, maybe not. As I understand how things work, when you book for a party of two or more, you're offered the price (or miles in this case) of the lowest inventory bucket that has enough inventory for the entire group. So if you tried to book all four at once, you might have been told the miles price for all four was 116.5 each.

Another factor is that the authorized level for each bucket can be changed resulting in that bucket now being oversold, even if the cabin as a whole isn't. If 2 were available when you first booked but was later lowered to 1 (so at that point, 1 authorized, 2 booked, -1 available), if you cancel and try to rebook, you may find it's no longer available for a party of two.
Very interesting how the system works. I was going to cancel my two seats to hopefully free up those two seats in that pricing bucket for my other party of 2 and I would just wait for close-in.
Old Aug 27, 2023, 12:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Very interesting how the system works. I was going to cancel my two seats to hopefully free up those two seats in that pricing bucket for my other party of 2 and I would just wait for close-in.
The most likely result of you canceling your ticket is for the price to normalize (i.e., drop), either immediately or after a couple of days. However, there’s no guarantee that this will happen, particularly if there have been other bookings for that flight in the interim.

In my mind, it comes down to your backup plan. If your backup plan is to cancel what you have now and book four tickets on some other flight if you’re never able to get four at the low price point, then releasing yours in the hope to get 4 at that price might be a worthwhile gambit. However, if your backup plan is to pay the higher fare, or fly on two separate flights, or fly in Y on that flight, or whatever, then I’m not sure it’d be worth the risk of not being able to get any tickets at the low price if you cancel yours and they’re not released into inventory.
Old Aug 29, 2023, 3:16 pm

Programs: A3 *G, QR Plat, Accor ALL Diamond, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
I had booked a United award ticket through Aegean's Miles+Bonus (390 ticket stock), but I was bumped from the flight and rebooked to a different one by the United service desk. The new reservation on United's website states that the class is Y, whereas for the original reservation it showed X. Do you know if there's a chance that this would credit miles for the new flight class (Y) to Aegean M+B?
Old Aug 29, 2023, 4:40 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by bellerophontes
I had booked a United award ticket through Aegean's Miles+Bonus (390 ticket stock), but I was bumped from the flight and rebooked to a different one by the United service desk. The new reservation on United's website states that the class is Y, whereas for the original reservation it showed X. Do you know if there's a chance that this would credit miles for the new flight class (Y) to Aegean M+B?
Assume the "bump" was a schedule change -- and it was A3 award ticket with United flights.
Was it just UA flights? Any idea which flight had the schedule change? Is the rebooking UA or mixture of carriers?
Normally UA would rebook in X (UA can do that without X space) but if an A3 flight changed, A3 may have rebooked the UA flight in Y. (A3 can not book X if no space exists).

This is a tricky one and it depends on how UA sees the flight but there is a chance this may be mileage earning. Too many variables to make a definitive answer.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Aug 29, 2023 at 5:12 pm Reason: rebooked the UA flight in Y.
Old Aug 29, 2023, 4:42 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by bellerophontes
Do you know if there's a chance that this would credit miles for the new flight class (Y) to Aegean M+B?
There's always a chance, but don't bet on it and don't submit a CS ticket if it doesn't (you'd be surprised how many people will do this).
Old Aug 29, 2023, 5:11 pm

Programs: A3 *G, QR Plat, Accor ALL Diamond, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Assume the "bump" was a schedule change -- and it was A3 award ticket with United flights.
Was ait just UA flights? Any idea which flight had the schedule change? Is the rebookinging UA or misture of carriers?
Normally UA would rebook in X (it can do that without X space) but if an A3 flight changed, A3 may have rebooked in Y. (A3 can not book X if not space exists).

This is a tricky one and it depends on how UA see the flight but there is a chance this may be mileage earning. Too many variables to make a definitive answer.
It was all UA flights, and I was bumped because of the first flight being overbooked. It was UA who rebooked in all UA flights for the next day, under a new PNR. Seasonal outstation so maybe agents weren't fully familiar with rebooking process rules.

Under Accruals in the app, it does recognize that the flight isn't eligible for earning miles, but I'm not sure if this will propagate through *A miles system.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.