Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA award booking, change questions / issues / routing / excursionist problems / help

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 19, 2017, 10:23 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Main Impact
  • No more free stopover - replaced with Excursionist Perk
  • Agents no longer have the ability to find routings or build itineraries that do not show up on united.com
  • Manually constructing trips using multi-city search results in multiple award fares being charged
  • Changing any segment basically requires current availability for all existing Os&Ds in the PNR (as if a brand new booking is made)
  • Singapore Airlines segments are priced separately (add-ons)

Useful Links
EveryDay Awards - UA MP award changes 1 Nov 2017 (Everyday award/dynamic price, No RTW, No Show fee,..)
principle change - Standard awards being replaced by "EveryDay Award" with variable pricing

What is the Excursionist Perk?
The Excursionist Perk is a free one-way award within select multi-city itineraries. Members who book an itinerary with three or more one-way awards will be eligible to receive one of those one-way awards for free, if it meets all of these conditions:
The Excursionist Perk cannot be in the MileagePlus defined region where your travel originates. (For example, if your journey begins in North America, you will only receive the Excursionist Perk if travel is within a region outside of North America.)
  • Travel must end in the same MileagePlus defined region where travel originates.
  • The origin and destination of the Excursionist Perk is within a single MileagePlus defined region.
  • The cabin of service and award type of the free one-way award is the same or lower than the one-way award preceding it.
  • If two or more one-way awards qualify for this benefit, only the first occurrence will be free.

Previous thread -- UA award booking,change questions/fees/issues/routing/excursionist problems {Archive}

Print Wikipost

UA award booking, change questions / issues / routing / excursionist problems / help

Search this Thread

Old Jul 26, 2023, 4:29 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by tx_wiingman
What are the rules to CPU upgrades on award tickets? I’m 1K and have a United CC. When I book domestic award tickets for myself I have always been added to the upgrade list and frequently get upgraded.

I booked a flight this coming Saturday for myself and 2 friends. First only has 1 sold seat and I half expected to be upgraded by now, but when I went to check under my upcoming flights it doesn’t show “CPU Eligible” like it does on my solo award bookings. Any ideas why?
Only you and one companion are eligible. Once you have 2 companions the PNR becomes ineligible.

You will need to split the PNR. And the individual on the separate PNR will lose access to some of your benefits, such as elite bag allowance.
Old Jul 26, 2023, 5:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by Repooc17
Booked an award flight via Aeroplan (014 ticket) with United flying only. United was asking for six digits in miles vs. AC only five.

I can see the award reservation in my United account, but every time I open the itinerary, I see the following alert at the top of the page:

Please sign in using the sponsoring MileagePlus account number and password.

What does this mean?
Normal. Means ticket was purchased with miles from a different account. Has no meaning beyond that ... reminding that any change/refund etc. would have to be done via the sponsoring account.
Repooc17 likes this.
Old Jul 27, 2023, 12:54 pm

"We are unable to process your request"

Hi FTers.

Over the last few weeks I've repeatedly encountered issues when trying to book United award flights on partner airlines. Every time I get the following error message at checkout: "We are unable to process your request. Please try again later, or contact customer support at 1-800-396-1751." I've tried different dates, city pairings and partner airlines, but the end result is the same. Examples include flights from Washington, DC or Newark to Mumbai, Delhi and Abu Dhabi. Partner airlines include Ethiopian Airlines, Egyptian Air, Vistara, and others. I've been booking United award flights for years and this is the biggest headache I've encountered.

I'm United Gold for reference. Anyone else unable to book flights on partner airlines?
Old Jul 27, 2023, 9:29 pm

Help with UA award ticket change

I’m new to this forum, please feel free to move to another thread if needed. I have booked a UA award ticket from IAH to Dubrovnik in a few weeks. I’m flying business on LH 441 to FRA and then O 208/733 via Vienna to Dubrovnik.

I’ve looked at the fares again and noticed a one stop option to Dubrovnik for the same amount of miles by flying Eurowings out of Frankfurt. I was wondering if there are any tips to get my schedule changed? Should I called United to get it changed?

Can Lufthansa rebook me on the day of travel?
Old Jul 27, 2023, 10:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by Laserguy
…Can Lufthansa rebook me on the day of travel?
Don’t even contemplate it.

did you try changing your flight online? That’s one of the options when you check your reservation. If you’re uncomfortable making changes online, then just call United with specific flights you want.
Old Jul 28, 2023, 12:17 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
... I’ve looked at the fares again and noticed a one stop option to Dubrovnik for the same amount of miles by flying Eurowings out of Frankfurt. I was wondering if there are any tips to get my schedule changed? Should I called United to get it changed?
If the more desirable option is bookable and you have the miles, book it and one confirmed cancel the other.
If you are short the additional miles, call and use an agent to change or cancel/rebook.

Whatever you do, don't wait, award availability can change quickly.

LH can not / will not change an UA award ticket (except in irrops)
Old Jul 28, 2023, 6:04 am
Aman 5+ BadgeFour Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: UA1K, *G & Wife of UA1K MM
Originally Posted by rjs11
Hi FTers.

Over the last few weeks I've repeatedly encountered issues when trying to book United award flights on partner airlines. Every time I get the following error message at checkout: "We are unable to process your request. Please try again later, or contact customer support at 1-800-396-1751." I've tried different dates, city pairings and partner airlines, but the end result is the same. Examples include flights from Washington, DC or Newark to Mumbai, Delhi and Abu Dhabi. Partner airlines include Ethiopian Airlines, Egyptian Air, Vistara, and others. I've been booking United award flights for years and this is the biggest headache I've encountered.

I'm United Gold for reference. Anyone else unable to book flights on partner airlines?
Have you tried calling?
I’ve heard of ghost (not real) availability showing up on the UA website for partners but having multiple partners affected seems unlikely.
Xyzzy likes this.
Old Jul 28, 2023, 6:43 am

So LH 441 is now nearly fully booked, the United rep says that there is an increase by 40 kn miles per person to change the schedule.

thing is, I already have confirmed J seats on that flight. Is there a way to only get the FRA to Dubrovnik fare changed?
Old Jul 28, 2023, 6:50 am

Programs: UA 1K, HH Gold, Mariott Gold
So LH 441 is now nearly fully booked, the United rep says that there is an increase by 40 kn miles per person to change the schedule.

thing is, I already have confirmed J seats on that flight. Is there a way to only get the FRA to Dubrovnik fare changed?
No, not without collecting the higher rate.
Old Jul 28, 2023, 7:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Rates went up recently by 20k per direction TATL in business. Nothing to do with how full or empty the flight is. Any voluntary change will lead to a re-pricing, even if you leave the TATL flight intact.
There will be no free change w/o paying more in the absence of an irop or a major schedule change. Did the schedule change by more than 30 mins since you booked this?
Old Jul 28, 2023, 9:43 am

Originally Posted by cfischer
Rates went up recently by 20k per direction TATL in business. Nothing to do with how full or empty the flight is. Any voluntary change will lead to a re-pricing, even if you leave the TATL flight intact.
There will be no free change w/o paying more in the absence of an irop or a major schedule change. Did the schedule change by more than 30 mins since you booked this?
The schedule hasn’t changed more than 30 min from what I can tell.

I’m considering just buying that fare outright, it’s not that expensive currently. It’ll buy me additional time at the destination. Will United take recourse against me for not finishing my itinerary through Vienna?
Old Jul 28, 2023, 10:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The schedule hasn’t changed more than 30 min from what I can tell.

I’m considering just buying that fare outright, it’s not that expensive currently. It’ll buy me additional time at the destination. Will United take recourse against me for not finishing my itinerary through Vienna?
Do you have any checked luggage? If so, you're going to be buying yourself a world of hurt.
Do you have any further flights on the same ticket (e.g., a round-trip back to the US?) Those would be canceled if you try this.

Also, it's at least vaguely possible (but probably unlikely) that OS/EW notice this, as they're both part of LH group. They may decide to cancel one of your itineraries if they do see it.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Jul 28, 2023, 10:26 am

I booked my ticket back to the US as a separate reservation. Given the concerns I'll likely just keep my itinerary as is. Any other suggestions, thanks again for everyone's help!
jsloan likes this.
Old Jul 29, 2023, 11:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

LH group doesn't cancel duplicate reservations and they generally don't have an issue w/ you buying another ticket. That said, no checked bag will be critical.
jsloan and SPN Lifer like this.
Old Jul 30, 2023, 10:12 pm
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
I just found an ON class premium economy seat SFO-KIX for 65k. That would have seemed a little high pre devaluation but when XN economy is 55k it looks pretty good. Most dates are well over 100k for premium economy.
jsloan and SPN Lifer like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.