Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA award booking, change questions / issues / routing / excursionist problems / help

UA award booking, change questions / issues / routing / excursionist problems / help

Hide Wikipost
Old Oct 30, 22, 12:09 pm   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Wiki Link
United's Announcement and FAQ

Kacee's Interpretation

Main Impact Since October 6, 2016
  • Fee Changes - for example, Platinum members are subject to various award fees
  • No more free stopover - replaced with Excursionist Perk
  • Agents no longer have the ability to find routings or build itineraries that do not show up on united.com
  • Manually constructing trips using multi-city search results in multiple award fares being charged
  • Changing any segment MIGHT require current availability for all existing Os&Ds in the PNR (as if a brand new booking is made) - YMMV
  • Singapore Airlines segments are priced separately (add-ons)

Useful Links
EveryDay Awards - UA MP award changes 1 Nov 2017 (Everyday award/dynamic price, No RTW, No Show fee,..)
principle change - Standard awards being replaced by "EveryDay Award" with variable pricing

What is the Excursionist Perk?
The Excursionist Perk is a free one-way award within select multi-city itineraries. Members who book an itinerary with three or more one-way awards will be eligible to receive one of those one-way awards for free, if it meets all of these conditions:
The Excursionist Perk cannot be in the MileagePlus defined region where your travel originates. (For example, if your journey begins in North America, you will only receive the Excursionist Perk if travel is within a region outside of North America.)
  • Travel must end in the same MileagePlus defined region where travel originates.
  • The origin and destination of the Excursionist Perk is within a single MileagePlus defined region.
  • The cabin of service and award type of the free one-way award is the same or lower than the one-way award preceding it.
  • If two or more one-way awards qualify for this benefit, only the first occurrence will be free.

Previous thread -- Updates to UA MP Multi-City Award Travel & Award Fee Changes (Post Oct 2016){Archive}
Print Wikipost

Old Jan 15, 18, 10:36 am

My wife and I now have a few miles over 100K each and I am ready to book each way seperately - I have even discovered that as a one-way I can actually fly home to my home airport.

Thanks
Old Jan 15, 18, 11:09 am

Programs: Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott/SPG/Hilton Gold, PreCheck + Clear
Originally Posted by SandLake View Post
My wife and I now have a few miles over 100K each and I am ready to book each way seperately - I have even discovered that as a one-way I can actually fly home to my home airport.
That's great news! FYI, there's a wealth of useful info about using UA miles for award bookings in the relevant thread:

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unit...2017-a-61.html

A new thread may be created for 2018, but until then that's the place to go with follow-up questions.
Old Jan 19, 18, 6:14 pm

Can I ask a couple more questions about Award booking.

If I encounter a delay which makes a connection unavailable, how well will I be looked after? Will they rebook on a non-*A carrier? On a DUB-FRA-DXB booking, if the DUB-FRA runs late then the next flight to FRA won't make a connection to DXB?

If I book DXB-ZRH-LHR-BHD all in one day as a mixed cabin Award where LHR-BHD is Aerlingus who do not have any business class, do I get any lounge access at LHR?

TIA
Old Jan 19, 18, 6:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

If I encounter a delay which makes a connection unavailable, how well will I be looked after? Will they rebook on a non-*A carrier? On a DUB-FRA-DXB booking, if the DUB-FRA runs late then the next flight to FRA won't make a connection to DXB?
The carrier who causes the disruption is responsible to get you to your destination, whether it's an award ticket or not. They're likely to want to try to keep you on *A, but you may be able to be put onto another airline if you can talk them into it.

If I book DXB-ZRH-LHR-BHD all in one day as a mixed cabin Award where LHR-BHD is Aerlingus who do not have any business class, do I get any lounge access at LHR?
Not based on *A rules, no. Swiss or Aer Lingus may have their own rules; it'd be best to ask about that in those fora.
Old Jan 21, 18, 6:03 am

Programs: United Premier 1K 1MM; AA Plat; Hyatt Explorist; Marriott Titanium; Hertz Pres Cirlce
Question on ANA award booking. Flying today from IAD-NRT. We're confirmed in C but would love to be in F. ANA has been F5 for days but O space never opened up. Is this normal or a trend with ANA?
Old Jan 21, 18, 8:31 am

Looking to book a South America trip in December 2018. Absolutely no Business Saver awards. Is this normal?
Old Jan 21, 18, 8:41 am

Programs: DL Diamond, IHG Platinum, Marriott Platinum Elite
Originally Posted by zitsky View Post
Looking to book a South America trip in December 2018. Absolutely no Business Saver awards. Is this normal?
Are you getting results on partner airlines too? I've seen some backend issues where the partners don't report availability and then it comes through. You'll most likely not see Business Saver on UA metal, those seem to be rare, but partners should show up unless they haven't released availability this far ahead.
Old Jan 21, 18, 8:52 am

Originally Posted by motoridersd View Post
Are you getting results on partner airlines too? I've seen some backend issues where the partners don't report availability and then it comes through. You'll most likely not see Business Saver on UA metal, those seem to be rare, but partners should show up unless they haven't released availability this far ahead.
I will check partners. I was avoiding them because of an extra stop 2. Instead of UA, 1 stop.
Old Jan 21, 18, 10:01 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA EXP; AS 75K; WN A List; UA 1K 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott AMB; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
For UA metal? Yes. No international business saver awards is the norm. Particularly during high demand periods such as South America in December.

Miles are becoming very difficult to use well for UA flights.
Old Jan 21, 18, 10:23 am

Thanks. Yes very difficult to use miles these days.

310,000 for South America is ridiculous.

Edit: it doesn't look any better on partner flights.

Last edited by zitsky; Jan 21, 18 at 10:37 am
Old Jan 21, 18, 11:03 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA EXP; AS 75K; WN A List; UA 1K 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott AMB; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Thanks. Yes very difficult to use miles these days.
Award availability is dynamic. If you check every day, there is a reasonable chance (but no guaranty) you will eventually find something that works. Does make it really difficult to plan in advance.
Old Jan 21, 18, 12:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
I generally see good availability into South America on CM and other partners. The downside is it always involves being on a 737 the whole way..
Old Jan 21, 18, 1:35 pm

Programs: UA 2MM Plat, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, and EVA Gold soon
Questions on this itinerary:
Award travel PNH-MNL routing thru BKK.....
Call UA to get the early flight arrives 11:15 am to BKK, so I can have dinner with friends and Depart early next morning 7:45am to MNL.
Was told that I would be charged for 2 one way and double miles instead.
The layover is less the 24 hours, but was told that if the routing is not showing up it can't be booked as 1 one-way.
Was told that the less than 24 hr rule no longer applies since sometime last year.
UA, in the pass was able to manually do this for me.
Is this the "TRUTH" or should I try and call again.
Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks
Old Jan 21, 18, 1:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by rerunree1 View Post
The layover is less the 24 hours, but was told that if the routing is not showing up it can't be booked as 1 one-way.
Was told that the less than 24 hr rule no longer applies since sometime last year.
Yes, that's the new policy as of October '16. If a set of flights doesn't appear when searched from origin to destination, it will be priced on a point-to-point basis.
Old Jan 22, 18, 12:16 pm

Programs: UA Silver, AA Gold
Slow calendar view

I just noticed that on the new site the award flights load several seconds before the calendar does. So you can start perusing flights while that ball is still spinning over "week view." Can save a lot of time depending on how many dates you have to inspect!

Search this Thread