Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA award booking, change questions / issues / routing / excursionist problems / help

Old Jan 19, 2017, 10:23 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Main Impact
  • No more free stopover - replaced with Excursionist Perk
  • Agents no longer have the ability to find routings or build itineraries that do not show up on united.com
  • Manually constructing trips using multi-city search results in multiple award fares being charged
  • Changing any segment basically requires current availability for all existing Os&Ds in the PNR (as if a brand new booking is made)
  • Singapore Airlines segments are priced separately (add-ons)

Useful Links
EveryDay Awards - UA MP award changes 1 Nov 2017 (Everyday award/dynamic price, No RTW, No Show fee,..)
principle change - Standard awards being replaced by "EveryDay Award" with variable pricing

What is the Excursionist Perk?
The Excursionist Perk is a free one-way award within select multi-city itineraries. Members who book an itinerary with three or more one-way awards will be eligible to receive one of those one-way awards for free, if it meets all of these conditions:
The Excursionist Perk cannot be in the MileagePlus defined region where your travel originates. (For example, if your journey begins in North America, you will only receive the Excursionist Perk if travel is within a region outside of North America.)
  • Travel must end in the same MileagePlus defined region where travel originates.
  • The origin and destination of the Excursionist Perk is within a single MileagePlus defined region.
  • The cabin of service and award type of the free one-way award is the same or lower than the one-way award preceding it.
  • If two or more one-way awards qualify for this benefit, only the first occurrence will be free.

Previous thread -- UA award booking,change questions/fees/issues/routing/excursionist problems {Archive}

Print Wikipost

UA award booking, change questions / issues / routing / excursionist problems / help

Old Apr 20, 2023, 6:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by 168
Found a BR saver fare from TPE-USA, booked on UA.com and got both UA and BR confirmation numbers email a few days ago. Now I am seeing BR portion is “Waitlisted”. Called 1K and was told it might take BR up to a week to confirm the seat.

Does this sound right? What if BR had phantom availability and my seat never clear? Am I SOL and better start looking for other options? ….or will UA get me back on their metal without me giving them more miles?
Unless you have a ticket ... you got nothing. Doesn't take a week to confirm either; was probably phantom inventory. I'd start looking for alternatives.
Old Apr 20, 2023, 7:31 am

Programs: UA Silver, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by PanAmWT
Since your original RT ticket was booked as two separate one-ways, it seems reasonable that when you cancel the return leg your outbound at 40K miles should be intact. So I feel comfortable with the screenshot if it were me. But I certainly cannot guarantee that you will not be asked to reprice the outbound at 150K miles.
Ended up processing the cancellation for the return leg. 40k miles redeposited along with the tax! Thanks for your help
uanj and PanAmWT like this.
Old Apr 20, 2023, 10:17 am

Originally Posted by rariya
Had an award flight booked and our schedule changed so I cancelled it. Got an email "Your flight was canceled, but we're unable to process your refund at this time." with a phone number to call. I called, the woman just confirmed I wanted to cancel it and then said I would get the my points back and the taxes refunded on my cc in about 48 hours. It's been 12 hours since I got off the phone and I don't see the points in my account. Do they tend to also take a couple days? In my experience canceling award flights the points are generally redeposited immediatel. I have a booking I'd like to make in just a couple days when space opens up so I'm not sure if I should be calling back to make sure or just waiting to see. Anyone experience this?
Update on this. I used the CS chat the day after and it was revealed that the first agent did nothing (?!) despite telling me I'd get a refund within 48 hours. I then confirmed I would get the taxes refunded to my cc and also that I would receive the miles back in my account. Despite assuring me I would get the miles back, when I asked how many miles I would get back, the CSR did not know--he literally said "however many you paid for them". This set off more red flags as every single email I had gotten about my refund mentioned the $11.20 but there was zero language about the points.

I waited one more day before calling and finally getting connected to an agent who had some sense and was able to sort it out for me. She didn't seem to know exactly why this had happened, but was able to redeposit my 180k points immediately. Upon further digging, I had booked the flights in Dec 2022, there was then a schedule change in February that I changed one of the legs with the free change and subsequently got an email saying "Action required to confirm you change" which in my experience just means a phone call to get the agent to confirm the booking. I didn't call at the time because I knew I may need to cancel anyway so I figured why waste the time on the phone. Once I knew I needed to cancel (a few days ago) I canceled online and that's where this all began.

Reiterating that the CSR did not know why, but we speculated together that perhaps canceling an unconfirmed flight was where the issue happened in the system. Annoying that it took 3 people (2 of whom assured me the refund went through when it didn't) before we got here but hopefully this helps any future people that experience this issue.

Edit: to add that previously I had gone through the 'reservations' menu when I called and when I finally got resolved I went through "mileageplus" instead. Not sure if it's all bs and just based on the CSR you get but worth noting I think.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Apr 20, 2023, 1:23 pm

Have a weird message that started popping up on a trip within the last day or so on United.com (along with some confused support from United so far). My brother booked an awards trip for me (yes, some horse trading took place there LOL) and the ticket has been fine the last few months. Within the last day or so, when I view my trip on United.com it shows a big red "Please sign in using the sponsoring MileagePlus account number and password." alert message when I view that trip. I've chatted with United support on it (first with Reservations, then the MileagePlus team, then back to Reservations, then back to MileagePlus, and round and round) but they can't seem to see any issue. Everything looks fine otherwise for the trip, both in my view, and my brother's. He has no issues/alerts for my trip that he can see. The trip is in less than 3 weeks and just a little worried that something might be up with it. I still have seats assigned and other than that error message, it looks fine. I did upgrade this trip with cash to Premium Plus awhile back, but was many weeks ago.

I'd post a picture of the error, but I can't find my old FlyerTalk account, so had to create a new one and, alas, too new an account to post the screenshot.

Update to the update to the update. After evidently going around with just about every support person United has on the payroll, they can't find anything wrong and are not sure why that alert message appears. So...uh, hopefully everything's ok?

Last edited by Seminole_Kev; Apr 20, 2023 at 2:24 pm
Old Apr 20, 2023, 2:33 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by K_DEN_K_DEN
.... After evidently going around with just about every support person United has on the payroll, they can't find anything wrong and are not sure why that alert message appears. So...uh, hopefully everything's ok?
Ignoring messages you do not understand at your own peril. Has the mileage owner logged in and looked at the itin?
Old Apr 20, 2023, 2:51 pm

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Ignoring messages you do not understand at your own peril. Has the mileage owner logged in and looked at the itin?
Yep. No issues that he can see. No messages/alerts on his side and everything looks fine for him regarding my trip or anything else that might catch his eye.

As far as ignoring the message, I certainly didn't (hence the support ticket). Just that there isn't much more I can do (or at least know how to do) beyond the various support groups all saying "Nope your ticket is fine". Obviously I've asked them if they can at least still explain why I'm seeing that alert message and them going "nope, but we'll let management know about it" (which I don't believe, and I suggested that they probably should open an internal ticket with IT about it if they can't explain it). However beyond that (and this post here just in case someone else has already encountered it before) I don't know what else I could do.

Last edited by Seminole_Kev; Apr 20, 2023 at 3:52 pm
Old Apr 21, 2023, 7:46 am

Programs: PLAT -- 2.7Million
Risk if I Reschedule first leg??

Greetings...Kindly advise...
I am on award travel SHV-IAH-LHR.
I am considering changing the first leg to the prior day. If I do so, is there any risk to the status of my IAH-LHR ... will UA have to reconsider my seat, mileage requirements, mileage availabiltiy?
Thank you in advance!!
Old Apr 21, 2023, 7:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by AAJetMan
I am considering changing the first leg to the prior day. If I do so, is there any risk to the status of my IAH-LHR ... will UA have to reconsider my seat, mileage requirements, mileage availabiltiy?
Thank you in advance!!
UA policy woudl charge you the difference, if any, between the number of miles you paid and the current price for your desired itinerary.
Old Apr 21, 2023, 7:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

If you change the flights, it will reprice to whatever the current available award is. That could be the same price you paid, or it could be higher or lower.

If your intended IAH layover is >24h, it will almost surely be a higher price.

However, I wouldn't say there's particularly a "risk" involved. You can look to see what the price is before changing to decide what you want to do.

You may also be able to use SDC the day before travel to move up the SHV-IAH leg, but no guarantees on that.
UA Same-Day Travel Change (SDC) Fees/Questions -Free STBY for all, SDC for all elites
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Apr 21, 2023, 8:01 am

Programs: UA LT 1K, 3 MM; Marriott Titanium; IHG Platinum
Thank you in advance!!
Yes, it will be repriced accordingly if there is no schedule change.
You can use the multiple destination search for the new flights. If the price looks good to you, rebook it and cancel the previous one (assuming you are plenty of miles).
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Apr 21, 2023, 8:11 am

Programs: PLAT -- 2.7Million
THank you JSloan...I am fine with that. Just want to make sure...I won't have the 2nd flight subject to current availability, nor lose my seat assignment?
Old Apr 21, 2023, 8:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

THank you JSloan...I am fine with that. Just want to make sure...I won't have the 2nd flight subject to current availability, nor lose my seat assignment?
UA has last-seat availability on its awards. If the flight you want is totally sold out, you may not be able to make this change (it’s hit or miss). If the flight you want is not sold out, you should be able to make the change, but the price difference may be extreme. I agree with the other posters who have commented — you can preview this yourself to see what will happen.

Your seat assignment may or may not be preserved (I’ve had both happen). If your original seat isn’t available during the rebooking process, wait a moment, go back into your reservation, and you should be able to select it. If you have paid for Economy Plus or preferred economy class seating, you may be charged a second time, although the original charge will be refunded. Making the change via a phone agent, rather than online, may result in a more streamlined process in this case.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Apr 21, 2023, 8:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

You would need availability on the IAH-LHR flight. If there is availability, you shouldn't lose your seat assignment.

edit: I am a minute behind jsloan always! 😖
jsloan likes this.
Old Apr 21, 2023, 10:20 am

Originally Posted by fumje
You would need availability on the IAH-LHR flight. If there is availability, you shouldn't lose your seat assignment.
My data point: three days ago I saw IN availability open up on my first segment, but the second segment (int'l partner) was not available to book. I decided to try the 'change flight' function, and was surprised to see multiple options available to change the first segment, that included connections to the same second segment - at the same number of miles (even exchange). I had no issues making a change. The only explanation I can think of is that UA preserved the space on my connecting flight when showing options.
jsloan likes this.
Old Apr 21, 2023, 10:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Wx4caster
My data point: three days ago I saw IN availability open up on my first segment, but the second segment (int'l partner) was not available to book. I decided to try the 'change flight' function, and was surprised to see multiple options available to change the first segment, that included connections to the same second segment - at the same number of miles (even exchange). I had no issues making a change. The only explanation I can think of is that UA preserved the space on my connecting flight when showing options.
Interesting, thanks for the data point. I was actually about to say it might work, because I have seen it do that for revenue fares sometimes, but I had not for awards. Good to know.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.