Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA award booking, change questions / issues / routing / excursionist problems / help

UA award booking, change questions / issues / routing / excursionist problems / help

Hide Wikipost
Old Oct 30, 22, 12:09 pm   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Wiki Link
United's Announcement and FAQ

Kacee's Interpretation

Main Impact Since October 6, 2016
  • Fee Changes - for example, Platinum members are subject to various award fees
  • No more free stopover - replaced with Excursionist Perk
  • Agents no longer have the ability to find routings or build itineraries that do not show up on united.com
  • Manually constructing trips using multi-city search results in multiple award fares being charged
  • Changing any segment MIGHT require current availability for all existing Os&Ds in the PNR (as if a brand new booking is made) - YMMV
  • Singapore Airlines segments are priced separately (add-ons)

Useful Links
EveryDay Awards - UA MP award changes 1 Nov 2017 (Everyday award/dynamic price, No RTW, No Show fee,..)
principle change - Standard awards being replaced by "EveryDay Award" with variable pricing

What is the Excursionist Perk?
The Excursionist Perk is a free one-way award within select multi-city itineraries. Members who book an itinerary with three or more one-way awards will be eligible to receive one of those one-way awards for free, if it meets all of these conditions:
The Excursionist Perk cannot be in the MileagePlus defined region where your travel originates. (For example, if your journey begins in North America, you will only receive the Excursionist Perk if travel is within a region outside of North America.)
  • Travel must end in the same MileagePlus defined region where travel originates.
  • The origin and destination of the Excursionist Perk is within a single MileagePlus defined region.
  • The cabin of service and award type of the free one-way award is the same or lower than the one-way award preceding it.
  • If two or more one-way awards qualify for this benefit, only the first occurrence will be free.

Previous thread -- Updates to UA MP Multi-City Award Travel & Award Fee Changes (Post Oct 2016){Archive}
Print Wikipost

Old Nov 21, 22, 9:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by abhilife2001 View Post
Any thoughts on anyway we could maximize this further
You only get one Excursionist Perk, and you’re already using it. What more were you aiming for? Assuming these are the cities you want to go to, it sounds like a pretty reasonable deal to me.

Venice to Paris isn’t a great fit for *A — there aren’t any *A carriers on that route, so you’re going to be connecting somewhere. However, zero is a pretty good price. I mean, I could tell you that something like Ankara to Břdo is a more “maximal” redemption, in that it’s further and likely more expensive, but unless you’re planning to go to Turkey and Norway, what good does that do you? Maximal redemptions are always in the eye of the beholder.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Nov 22, 22, 12:33 am

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA View Post
Yes, for an 1K. But there was no indication you were an 1K -- your FT profile does not mention it.
My original message said "I'm 1k". But all good.

Thanks!
Old Nov 22, 22, 1:21 pm

Programs: Don't think it matters...
Originally Posted by jsloan View Post
You only get one Excursionist Perk, and you’re already using it. What more were you aiming for? Assuming these are the cities you want to go to, it sounds like a pretty reasonable deal to me.

Venice to Paris isn’t a great fit for *A — there aren’t any *A carriers on that route, so you’re going to be connecting somewhere. However, zero is a pretty good price. I mean, I could tell you that something like Ankara to Břdo is a more “maximal” redemption, in that it’s further and likely more expensive, but unless you’re planning to go to Turkey and Norway, what good does that do you? Maximal redemptions are always in the eye of the beholder.
Thanks for your detailed response and I agree completely.
Yes, there is a stop over in Paris for the Venice - Paris leg and that is in VIenna for 10hrs which gives me time to give my daughter a quick tour of the city center as I am quite familar with that. My thought with maximizing was any tricks to get it for lower miles or taxes knowing well that its a pretty decent deal as it is being in the peak summer months. (leaving end July, returning end Aug).
Old Nov 22, 22, 5:21 pm

I booked an award trip for my daughter. I want to cancel it and rebook it in first. Is it better to "cancel and rebook later" or "Cancel trip and redeposit miles"??
Old Nov 22, 22, 5:24 pm

Programs: Don't think it matters...
Originally Posted by mmthomps View Post
I booked an award trip for my daughter. I want to cancel it and rebook it in first. Is it better to "cancel and rebook later" or "Cancel trip and redeposit miles"??
I tend to keep it simple and cancel trip and redeposit miles. Its instant refund of miles, so not an issue at all.
mmthomps likes this.
Old Nov 22, 22, 8:09 pm

Originally Posted by cfischer View Post
This can happen. Routinely when you parse out connecting segments as excursionist perks. In one-ways this is rare, but I have seen it happen before ... it usually holds when you buy it.
Originally Posted by jsloan View Post
UA is in the process of devising some sort of rule for dynamic pricing of married segments including partner inventory, which was never a thing before. It’s… frustrating. So, yes, just one more reminder that, even for awards, you have to do the legwork to run your search multiple times or risk paying extra.
Yeah this could be it. A few days ago SFO-KUL was pricing the same as SFO-SIN.
Old Nov 23, 22, 1:58 am

Programs: AV, NH, JJ, BA
Hi
I am unable to find any saver award ticket on UA in July 2023 from EWR/IAD-HNL and return. Does anyone know when UA normally releases saver award tickets?
Many thanks
Old Nov 23, 22, 2:05 am
Moderator: United Airlines; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 1.85MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by ADNANALI View Post
... I am unable to find any saver award ticket on UA in July 2023 from EWR/IAD-HNL and return. Does anyone know when UA normally releases saver award tickets? ...
Short answer -- UA has no predetermine timeline for releasing saving awards.

With dynamic award pricing, UA can use award purchases / pricing to sell seats on flights with excess unsold seats, flights where demand is falling short of available inventory. So, there is an algorithm, but it is not based solely on the calendar.

For peak travel periods where sales are strong, saver level awards may never be released
ADNANALI likes this.
Old Nov 23, 22, 4:39 am

Programs: AV, NH, JJ, BA
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA View Post
Short answer -- UA has no predetermine timeline for releasing saving awards.

With dynamic award pricing, UA can use award purchases / pricing to sell seats on flights with excess unsold seats, flights where demand is falling short of available inventory. So, there is an algorithm, but it is not based solely on the calendar.

For peak travel periods where sales are strong, saver level awards may never be released
Many thnaks
Old Nov 24, 22, 9:44 am

Programs: United MileagePlus
This is a strange one. I had an award booking DEN-ATH in Economy then return IST-DEN with IST to MUC in economy (X) class on Turkish and I purchased an upgrade at time of booking to Premium Plus (A) class from MUC to DEN on United metal. When I tried to change my outward ticket it would not let me on line. In discussions with United they said that this was because the return ticket was on Turkish. It seemed strange but ok. I then tried twice to get United to change my outbound to a Business class saver. award but every time they said it could not be done. Finally I tried a third time and the agent said that they had to break up my booking into two separate tickets - outbound and return. Fine, I said, and he did that I changed my outbound. All good except now it says that I have to pay for checked baggage on my return from IST. It used to say free. What gives and what can I do about it? PS I am currently Platinum but will be Silver next year when I do this trip in case that factors in at all. I still have the original itinerary that says free baggage which I would show them in IST if I get into an issue at that time.
Old Nov 24, 22, 12:04 pm
Moderator: United Airlines; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 1.85MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by Jm0115 View Post
....All good except now it says that I have to pay for checked baggage on my return from IST. It used to say free. What gives and what can I do about it? ...
That's a known issue with TK award tickets. What UA says does not matter, check the ticket on the TK site or call TK.
Turkish Airlines (TK) award booking experiences using United miles

.... I am currently Platinum but will be Silver next year when I do this trip in case that factors in at all. ...
Status at time of travel is what matters and UA Silver will have no bag benefits on TK

....I still have the original itinerary that says free baggage which I would show them in IST if I get into an issue at that time.
Doubt that would make a difference
Once you broken into two separate tickets, the original ticket information is no relevant. Plus UA printout will mean nothing to a TK agent.
Jm0115 likes this.
Old Nov 28, 22, 2:34 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, UA2MM, WY Gold, QF Gold, VA Platinum.
Originally Posted by Grace B View Post
I think I may have discovered why this is happening.

The traveller's date of birth seems to have become corrupted somewhere in the United data base.

When it is displayed as part of the MP profile screen on the PC, it shows as the 18th of the month, whereas the correct dob is the 19th.

However, when you go in and try to edit it to the correct date, the system shows the dob as the 19th of the month, so won't change it.

I've spoken to Mileage Plus, who say that it all looks good from their end, but obviously the system doesn't think so when trying to make an award booking.

Looks like I'll have to make bookings over the phone in future, if I can't do it online. What a pain....
Well, I tried to make the exact same booking again yesterday, and it sailed through without any hitch.

So my thinking is just a UA website glitch. Quite disconcerting. But the dob's are still a day earlier, perhaps because I'm currently living in Australia. A programmer trying to be too clever by half?

Search this Thread