Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA award booking, change questions / issues / routing / excursionist problems / help

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 19, 2017, 10:23 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Main Impact
  • No more free stopover - replaced with Excursionist Perk
  • Agents no longer have the ability to find routings or build itineraries that do not show up on united.com
  • Manually constructing trips using multi-city search results in multiple award fares being charged
  • Changing any segment basically requires current availability for all existing Os&Ds in the PNR (as if a brand new booking is made)
  • Singapore Airlines segments are priced separately (add-ons)

Useful Links
EveryDay Awards - UA MP award changes 1 Nov 2017 (Everyday award/dynamic price, No RTW, No Show fee,..)
principle change - Standard awards being replaced by "EveryDay Award" with variable pricing

What is the Excursionist Perk?
The Excursionist Perk is a free one-way award within select multi-city itineraries. Members who book an itinerary with three or more one-way awards will be eligible to receive one of those one-way awards for free, if it meets all of these conditions:
The Excursionist Perk cannot be in the MileagePlus defined region where your travel originates. (For example, if your journey begins in North America, you will only receive the Excursionist Perk if travel is within a region outside of North America.)
  • Travel must end in the same MileagePlus defined region where travel originates.
  • The origin and destination of the Excursionist Perk is within a single MileagePlus defined region.
  • The cabin of service and award type of the free one-way award is the same or lower than the one-way award preceding it.
  • If two or more one-way awards qualify for this benefit, only the first occurrence will be free.

Previous thread -- UA award booking,change questions/fees/issues/routing/excursionist problems {Archive}

Print Wikipost

UA award booking, change questions / issues / routing / excursionist problems / help

Search this Thread

Old Apr 7, 2024, 3:54 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, UA2MM, QF Platinum, VA Platinum., Volare Executive Club
I had an interesting experience last week using an award Y ticket FCO-BRU (SN), BRU-ARN (SN), ARN-MMX (SK).

I was upgraded on the first flight, and then the second flight was delayed by 90+ mins, resulting in my missing the connecting flight to MMX.

This likely mis-connect was obvious while at BRU, but the SN staff would not try to re-accommodate me, saying I would have to sort it out at ARN with SK. Well, at ARN the SK staff said it was SN's responsibility and also would not help. However they pointed me towards SN's handling agent who they said should be able to help

As it turned out, the agent (Aviator) was very helpful and did mange to rebook me on to an ARN-CPH flight, the last one of the day. I was happy with this as my final destination was actually Copenhagen. I booked MMX as this was the only flight available as an award (it's only a 20 minute train ride away from CPH).

The point seems to be, if travelling on a UA award ticket and using multiple partner airlines, your fortunes seem to be in the lap of the gods in the case of IRROPS. I just got lucky, it seems.
NJSwamplands likes this.
Old Apr 7, 2024, 4:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Grace B
The point seems to be, if travelling on a UA award ticket and using multiple partner airlines, your fortunes seem to be in the lap of the gods in the case of IRROPS. I just got lucky, it seems.
Both the SN and SK agents were mostly correct; the SK agents more so.

Misconnects that appear to be obvious prior to departure don't always materialize, so whereas the staff at BRU could have redirected you immediately, I'm not surprised that they didn't. The SK agents were correct that upon arrival at ARN, it was the late-delivering carrier's responsibility to handle rebooking, which they then did. The system worked exactly as designed.
SPN Lifer and Grace B like this.
Old Apr 15, 2024, 5:23 pm

I am a 1K using miles for the 7am BOI-DEN-IAD with my wife. To be safe on a non SA carrier connection at IAD, I would like to take the 5am flight, but the miles required to change are exorbitant. As we each have a bag to check to IAD, what advice would be the best here?
Old Apr 15, 2024, 5:34 pm

Programs: Bear Backers
Go with 7 am and hope for the best

Originally Posted by searchforfulfillment
I am a 1K using miles for the 7am BOI-DEN-IAD with my wife. To be safe on a non SA carrier connection at IAD, I would like to take the 5am flight, but the miles required to change are exorbitant. As we each have a bag to check to IAD, what advice would be the best here?
Old Apr 15, 2024, 5:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by searchforfulfillment
Does the 5 AM flight also go through DEN? Standby is permitted along the same routing, but not along a different routing, and can be challenging with a bag.

As a 1K, you may be able to get a bag checked through to a non-*A carrier, although that's against general UA policy, but asking for a standby bag to be given to a non-*A carrier is probably a bridge too far. I'd be keeping my fingers crossed that award inventory will open on the 5 AM and then you can change to it.
Old Apr 15, 2024, 6:55 pm

Originally Posted by jsloan
Does the 5 AM flight also go through DEN? Standby is permitted along the same routing, but not along a different routing, and can be challenging with a bag.

As a 1K, you may be able to get a bag checked through to a non-*A carrier, although that's against general UA policy, but asking for a standby bag to be given to a non-*A carrier is probably a bridge too far. I'd be keeping my fingers crossed that award inventory will open on the 5 AM and then you can change to it.
Thanks; the earlier flight has the same routing. It would be great to pass the time in IAD at out in one of the lounges.
jsloan and SPN Lifer like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.