Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA award booking, change questions / issues / routing / excursionist problems / help

Old Jan 19, 2017, 10:23 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Main Impact
  • No more free stopover - replaced with Excursionist Perk
  • Agents no longer have the ability to find routings or build itineraries that do not show up on united.com
  • Manually constructing trips using multi-city search results in multiple award fares being charged
  • Changing any segment basically requires current availability for all existing Os&Ds in the PNR (as if a brand new booking is made)
  • Singapore Airlines segments are priced separately (add-ons)

Useful Links
EveryDay Awards - UA MP award changes 1 Nov 2017 (Everyday award/dynamic price, No RTW, No Show fee,..)
principle change - Standard awards being replaced by "EveryDay Award" with variable pricing

What is the Excursionist Perk?
The Excursionist Perk is a free one-way award within select multi-city itineraries. Members who book an itinerary with three or more one-way awards will be eligible to receive one of those one-way awards for free, if it meets all of these conditions:
The Excursionist Perk cannot be in the MileagePlus defined region where your travel originates. (For example, if your journey begins in North America, you will only receive the Excursionist Perk if travel is within a region outside of North America.)
  • Travel must end in the same MileagePlus defined region where travel originates.
  • The origin and destination of the Excursionist Perk is within a single MileagePlus defined region.
  • The cabin of service and award type of the free one-way award is the same or lower than the one-way award preceding it.
  • If two or more one-way awards qualify for this benefit, only the first occurrence will be free.

Previous thread -- UA award booking,change questions/fees/issues/routing/excursionist problems {Archive}

Print Wikipost

UA award booking, change questions / issues / routing / excursionist problems / help

Old Mar 27, 2024, 11:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by yinxzon
4/25/2024 BKK HKG
4/27/2024 SZX PVG
5/1/2024 PVG SFO

1. Individually they all work, I was hoping to get SZX PVG free with excursion perk and make the whole trip slightly cheaper. However, no results come up with the multicity search. Is there something I need to change with the search?
This itinerary isnt eligible for the Excursionist Perk because it starts and ends in different regions.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Mar 27, 2024, 11:29 am

Originally Posted by jsloan
This itinerary isn’t eligible for the Excursionist Perk because it starts and ends in different regions.
I see, dumb question, I didn't realize. But it should still show me results in a multicity though, right?
And anything else I'm not thinking of for PVG SFO?
Old Mar 27, 2024, 12:06 pm

Programs: UA LT 1K, 3 MM; Marriott Titanium; IHG Platinum
4/25/2024

2. PVG to SFO is really expensive now. It used to be 300USD on economy.
That price was pre-COVID. It is almost 10x more expensive ($3000 round trip).

For you award booking, all segments are treated as one-ways.
PVG-SFO is very expensive, but if you make two separate bookings such as PVG-TPE/ICN/HND/NRT and TPE/ICN/HND/NRT-SFO, you can get reasonable prices.
Good luck.
Edit: If you have a friend who can book XN space, SFO-PVG on May 1 can be booked for 55K miles plus $30.30 taxes/fees.
Edit: BKK-HKG on April 25 can be purchased for $70 on HK Express. The miles are not a good use for this route.

Last edited by Kmxu; Mar 27, 2024 at 12:20 pm
Old Mar 27, 2024, 12:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I see, dumb question, I didn't realize. But it should still show me results in a multicity though, right?
No worries.

The multi-city search sometimes seems to flake out and not show all options. Calling can usually get it onto one reservation, but since this isn't eligible for the Excursionist Perk, I would advise booking them as three separate itineraries. That way, if you need to change any of them -- or if, say, you see a price drop on PVG-SFO -- you can adjust that one itinerary without risking the rest of them.
SPN Lifer likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.