Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA award booking,change questions/fees/issues/routing/excursionist problems {Archive}

Old Dec 27, 2016, 9:23 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
United's Announcement and FAQ

Kacee's Interpretation

Main Impact Since October 6
  • Fee Changes such as platinum members are subject to various award fees
  • No more free stopover - replaced with Excursionist Perk
  • Agents no longer have the ability to find routings that do not show up on united.com
  • Manually constructing trips using multi-city search results in multiple award fares being charged
  • Changing any segment MIGHT require current availability for all existing Os&Ds in the PNR (as if a brand new booking is made) - YMMV
  • Singapore Airlines segments are priced separately (add-ons)

Useful Links
This is an archive thread, the active thread is Award booking questions/ issues/ routing/ excursionist problems / help
Print Wikipost

UA award booking,change questions/fees/issues/routing/excursionist problems {Archive}

Old May 9, 2018, 9:41 am

Programs: AA, UA, GE
Originally Posted by jmanirish

LH awards to/from ORD aren’t as impacted. OS to the west coast had some blocking a year or so ago, but seems better. LX imposes it’s own married segment logic which can be a pain to deal with given UAs new system that makes it hard to remove (or add) segments without confirming current availability on everything
My point is, as bad as it is, availability is better for European awards than AA. In the case of my searches, far better.
Old May 9, 2018, 9:59 am

Programs: UA 1k, AS 75k, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Explorist
I haven't had a problem finding good award flights out of SFO, but I have quite a bit of flexibility on both timing and location and I really enjoy messing around with maps and searches
Old May 9, 2018, 10:18 am

Programs: AA EXP and 1MM, UA 1K, HH Lifetime Diamond
Originally Posted by aero0729
Wow... well The Grass is WAY less brown over at American!! I can call and customize any routing I would like as long as its 4 segments. This stinks.

Does anyone know how to work united.com so you get more options?
As a longtime Executive Platinum, I can assure you that you misunderstand what American allows. All award travel to Asia (Area 1 &2) and the South Pacific requires Transpacific travel, and all awards to Europe requires Transatlantic. There is a four flight maximum in addition to the routing requirements.
Old May 9, 2018, 4:26 pm

Originally Posted by Jesperss
Did the ticket stay in limbo for six days, or was it cancelled and re booked?
Stayed in limbo. Never had to re-book anything.
Old May 9, 2018, 11:54 pm

Programs: OZ Diamond, UA Gold
Originally Posted by Kacee
Have you tried lately? LH availability has dried up. Virtually impossible to find anything from the west coast. And LO won't ticket.

Not that I'm saying AA is any better.

IME, UA miles have become very difficult to burn from SFO.
LO ticketed fine in my J award that I purchased last week.
Old May 10, 2018, 1:42 am

Don't Count out SJC!

Originally Posted by zymm
I haven't had a problem finding good award flights out of SFO, but I have quite a bit of flexibility on both timing and location and I really enjoy messing around with maps and searches
While the vast majority of NorCal international flights depart out of SFO, SJC should still be considered as they host several nonstop flights on *A partners:
  • LH operates nonstop service to FRA
  • NH operates nonstop service to NRT
  • CA operates nonstop service to PVG
  • AC operates nonstop service to YVR
Safe Travels,

James
Old May 10, 2018, 3:17 pm

Programs: UA Platinum, AA Gold
When making a change on an itinerary that has partner segments, do you run the risk of the partner failing to confirm the newly changed segments and then also losing the originally-confirmed flights? I occasionally read threads about having a confirmation but no confirmed ticket for a partner flight, and was wondering if that's a risk on award changes too.

Planning to book three business class award seats on Lufthansa but will probably look out for more optimal flight times (still on Lufthansa) and may switch to them if space opens up and changing three tickets all at once like that doesn't run a huge risk of failing to actually ticket.
Old May 10, 2018, 9:44 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by shutter41
When making a change on an itinerary that has partner segments, do you run the risk of the partner failing to confirm the newly changed segments and then also losing the originally-confirmed flights? ...
Yes you are at risk and never do online. A killed agent might be able to pull this off but generally, in the new award system, this can be difficult to pull off successfully.

This is a good reason to split awards into OWs.

Originally Posted by shutter41
Planning to book three business class award seats on Lufthansa but will probably look out for more optimal flight times (still on Lufthansa) and may switch to them if space opens up and changing three tickets all at once like that doesn't run a huge risk of failing to actually ticket.
Online only do this if you have enough miles to do a duplicate booking and wait until you are positive it was successful before canceling the previous booking. Otherwise, use an agent and be absolutely clear your only want to make the change if they can complete the request.
Old May 11, 2018, 5:03 pm

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AA EXP, HH Diamond, MR Gold, Avis PC, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Online only do this if you have enough miles to do a duplicate booking and wait until you are positive it was successful before canceling the previous booking. Otherwise, use an agent and be absolutely clear your only want to make the change if they can complete the request.
Wait, is this really a thing? I've made plenty of changes online to partner bookings and have never had a problem. I also have been able to make changes to itineraries where not all the segments have been available, but the online system will recognize what I have already booked and show options around that. This has been incredibly useful. I'm not saying it can't end poorly, but just offering a counterpoint that I have had a lot of success with the online system.
Old May 12, 2018, 8:18 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by coolbeans202
Wait, is this really a thing? I've made plenty of changes online to partner bookings and have never had a problem. I also have been able to make changes to itineraries where not all the segments have been available, but the online system will recognize what I have already booked and show options around that. This has been incredibly useful. I'm not saying it can't end poorly, but just offering a counterpoint that I have had a lot of success with the online system.
I am delighted to confirm that this can in fact work.

I was booked SFO-SEA-TPE-BKK, UA-BR-TG (with SFO-SEA in Y). Have been checking multiple times a day, hoping to change to the SFO-TPE nonstop on BR. This afternoon (<11 days out), it finally opened. But the bad news: The TG segment TPE-BKK is now only available in X. So I figured I'd give "Change Flights" a shot with the hope of keeping my already booked segment in TG J. And it worked! Now booked and ticketed in I on both flights. Went to BR and TG websites and successfully selected seats.

This was an exceptionally pleasant surprise, as "Change Flights" has mostly not worked for me for years.
Old May 12, 2018, 8:26 pm

Programs: UA 1K; *G, AA Plat
Originally Posted by Kacee
I am delighted to confirm that this can in fact work.

I was booked SFO-SEA-TPE-BKK, UA-BR-TG (with SFO-SEA in Y). Have been checking multiple times a day, hoping to change to the SFO-TPE nonstop on BR. This afternoon (<11 days out), it finally opened. But the bad news: The TG segment TPE-BKK is now only available in X. So I figured I'd give "Change Flights" a shot with the hope of keeping my already booked segment in TG J. And it worked! Now booked and ticketed in I on both flights. Went to BR and TG websites and successfully selected seats.

This was an exceptionally pleasant surprise, as "Change Flights" has mostly not worked for me for years.
Told you you'd get that Eva Nonstop
haha, but in all honestly, this is the way to go and a huge benefit for 1K no change fees. I'm quite surprised the TPE-BKK segment remained in J. Congrats
Old May 12, 2018, 8:31 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by laxmillenial
Told you you'd get that Eva Nonstop
haha, but in all honestly, this is the way to go and a huge benefit for 1K no change fees. I'm quite surprised the TPE-BKK segment remained in J. Congrats
Yeah, thanks, I'm pretty stoked

Now if BR would only open the 8:40 TPE-BKK in J on the 77W . . . .
Old May 13, 2018, 8:06 pm

Programs: AS G75K, UA Silver
Still having this maddening issue of excursionist segments not being changed correctly.

S1: SIN-CGK
S2: PVG-ICN (free excursionist segment)
S3: SIN-KUL

After I flew my first segment, I called into change to a later PVG-ICN flight; nothing else changed except the time. I noted during the call that it was an excursionist segment and should be an even exchange. Agent got everything confirmed and I was all set. No mention of extra miles.

Checked today, turns out the award was changed to eliminate the excursionist perk (43000/S35K-S0-S8K -> 65500/S35K-S225H-S8K) and an additional 22.5k miles were debited without my knowledge or consent. Calling in gets me nowhere as the agents aren't well versed in excursionist logic, so it looks like I'm out 22.5k miles.

tl;dr - When you book an excursionist segment, be super careful if you ever think you may have to change it.
Old May 13, 2018, 8:16 pm

Originally Posted by pushmyredbutton
Still having this maddening issue of excursionist segments not being changed correctly.

S1: SIN-CGK
S2: PVG-ICN (free excursionist segment)
S3: SIN-KUL

After I flew my first segment, I called into change to a later PVG-ICN flight; nothing else changed except the time. I noted during the call that it was an excursionist segment and should be an even exchange. Agent got everything confirmed and I was all set. No mention of extra miles.

Checked today, turns out the award was changed to eliminate the excursionist perk (43000/S35K-S0-S8K -> 65500/S35K-S225H-S8K) and an additional 22.5k miles were debited without my knowledge or consent. Calling in gets me nowhere as the agents aren't well versed in excursionist logic, so it looks like I'm out 22.5k miles.

tl;dr - When you book an excursionist segment, be super careful if you ever think you may have to change it.
Did you try changing the itinerary online? Did it mention if additional miles would be taken for the change in time?

In any event I'd just call the Premier Line and ask for "MileagePlus Account Servicing". Then explain to the agent what happened. Failing that you may want to message the MilagePlus program at or give them a tweet as I hear they are somewhat responsive on these issues. Depending on status level you might be charged a certain amount for making the change but I suspect it'll be far less than the 22.5K miles they pulled from your account.

Safe Travels,

James
Old May 13, 2018, 8:29 pm

Programs: AS G75K, UA Silver
Originally Posted by j2simpso
Did you try changing the itinerary online? Did it mention if additional miles would be taken for the change in time?

In any event I'd just call the Premier Line and ask for "MileagePlus Account Servicing". Then explain to the agent what happened. Failing that you may want to message the MilagePlus program at or give them a tweet as I hear they are somewhat responsive on these issues. Depending on status level you might be charged a certain amount for making the change but I suspect it'll be far less than the 22.5K miles they pulled from your account.

Safe Travels,

James
Yeah, changing online after the first segment is flown on award ticket almost always results in an error message. The few times it does offer to change, it just errors on the last step and leaves the ticket out of sync anyway

But otherwise I'm 1K and there should have been no fees associated with it. I'll try calling the MPSC tomorrow and see if they can provide any insight, but I suspect I'll be hosed since this isn't "what the excursionist perk was designed for" as I've been told previously...

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.