Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA award booking,change questions/fees/issues/routing/excursionist problems {Archive}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 27, 2016, 9:23 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
United's Announcement and FAQ

Kacee's Interpretation

Main Impact Since October 6
  • Fee Changes such as platinum members are subject to various award fees
  • No more free stopover - replaced with Excursionist Perk
  • Agents no longer have the ability to find routings that do not show up on united.com
  • Manually constructing trips using multi-city search results in multiple award fares being charged
  • Changing any segment MIGHT require current availability for all existing Os&Ds in the PNR (as if a brand new booking is made) - YMMV
  • Singapore Airlines segments are priced separately (add-ons)

Useful Links
This is an archive thread, the active thread is Award booking questions/ issues/ routing/ excursionist problems / help
Print Wikipost

UA award booking,change questions/fees/issues/routing/excursionist problems {Archive}

Search this Thread

Old Feb 21, 2018, 6:59 am

Programs: AA, UA, GE
I haven't booked an award on UA since the new rules were put in place. Starting research on an upcoming trip. I see availability on the NH award search site that is not shown on the UA award search results.

Does this mean it is impossible to book the flights that I cannot see on UA? Or is this a temporary issue and the agents see the *A availability (either now or in a day or so)?
Old Feb 21, 2018, 8:23 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by cheltzel
I see availability on the NH award search site that is not shown on the UA award search results.

Does this mean it is impossible to book the flights that I cannot see on UA? Or is this a temporary issue and the agents see the *A availability (either now or in a day or so)?
If it's on NH only, it is not *A availability. NH releases more seats to ANA Mileage Plan members than it does to its *A partners.

If you don't see it on united.com, it cannot be booked with United miles.
Old Feb 21, 2018, 8:33 am

Originally Posted by Kacee
If it's on NH only, it is not *A availability. NH releases more seats to ANA Mileage Plan members than it does to its *A partners.

If you don't see it on united.com, it cannot be booked with United miles.
I meant *A awards (not NH awards) seen on the NH award site.
Old Feb 21, 2018, 8:34 am

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by cheltzel
I meant *A awards (not NH awards) seen on the NH award site.
Got it.

Have you checked AP? NH has phantom availability problems ever since they "upgraded" a couple years ago.

In any event, if it's not showing on united.com, it cannot as a practical matter be booked.
Old Feb 21, 2018, 9:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Kacee
Got it.

Have you checked AP? NH has phantom availability problems ever since they "upgraded" a couple years ago.

In any event, if it's not showing on united.com, it cannot as a practical matter be booked.
I agree; double-check with Aeroplan. Also, can you can give an example? Are the affected flights all from the same carrier? There have been intermittent reports of one carrier or another having their awards drop off of United.com. In those specific cases, calling in can help.
Old Feb 21, 2018, 10:22 am

I will post later on. In all day meetings
Old Feb 21, 2018, 3:26 pm

Programs: UA MileagePlus Premier Platinum, Hilton Honors Gold, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold
I've been having trouble booking an itinerary that goes from BKK-CDG-FRA-IAD on TG and LH metal in J. I've been unable to book the full itinerary due to the site being as horrible as it is. I called and gotten web support a few times and they confirmed that they were unable to see the FRA-IAD I inventory yet ExpertFlyer was able to see it just fine. I imagined that it would have just been phantom space that I was unable to book. Today, the same segment shows up on bomb.com... I was unable to book the full ride but I was able to book the FRA-IAD by itself as a test which is weird at least for me...

Should I call back web support and see what the world in IT is going on???
Old Feb 21, 2018, 3:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by InterPlace55
I was unable to book the full ride but I was able to book the FRA-IAD by itself as a test which is weird at least for me...

Should I call back web support and see what the world in IT is going on???
Does it show up when you search BKK-IAD? If not, you're unlikely to be able to book it as a single award, even if there is availability on each sector.
Old Feb 21, 2018, 4:02 pm

Programs: UA MileagePlus Premier Platinum, Hilton Honors Gold, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by jsloan
Does it show up when you search BKK-IAD? If not, you're unlikely to be able to book it as a single award, even if there is availability on each sector.
It 100% shows up when I search BKK-IAD, but when I get to the payment screen and click to pay, it throws back an error.

Also got got off the phone with the Premier line and they said they can’t see it and they looked at two systems to be sure it wasn’t an error on their end which it is cause I was able to plainly see the seat on Aeroplan
Old Feb 21, 2018, 4:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

It 100% shows up when I search BKK-IAD, but when I get to the payment screen and click to pay, it throws back an error
OK. In that case, yes, I'd absolutely call web support. Good luck.
Old Feb 21, 2018, 4:12 pm

Originally Posted by jsloan
OK. In that case, yes, I'd absolutely call web support. Good luck.
I should also probably wait until my ideal itinerary comes up with both of those flights in First Class XD

Seems to be a bit of a long haul to get what amounts to a backup plan. May keep on trying if there aren’t any more spicy alternatives. The day I want to fly will be on my birthday so I wanted to see how first class goes if they saw that it was my special day.
Old Feb 21, 2018, 5:56 pm

Well an update, being the antsy ant that I am, I decided to call in again to see if that priced out. Unfortunately, they said that Lufthansa isn't allowing the FRA to IAD segment to price out as a connecting flight. However, the web support person priced me out a flight with BKK-CDG-FRA-MUC-IAD-CVG. It priced out so I was able to just about book the entire flight out. So some lemonade turned from lemons and they were able to price out a flight for me that was above the segment limit. I'll be more than happy with this flight for sure.

I'm legitimately sorry for the last quote cause it made me turn out to be an ungrateful person who can't really wait for stuff just to waste other people's time.

FINAL UPDATE: The FRA-IAD leg actually priced out and the person was able to add on IAD-CVG on top of it so the entire route finally priced out! Stuff like this really makes me love United. Is there any way I can throw a compliment over to United for the support?

Last edited by InterPlace55; Feb 21, 2018 at 6:39 pm
Old Feb 21, 2018, 10:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

FINAL UPDATE: The FRA-IAD leg actually priced out and the person was able to add on IAD-CVG on top of it so the entire route finally priced out! Stuff like this really makes me love United. Is there any way I can throw a compliment over to United for the support?
Glad it worked out. ^ You can contact United via the "Contact Us" link in the top navigation.
Old Feb 25, 2018, 6:43 pm

Programs: AS 100K
so 4 days out and UA's SFO-PEK shows J6 C6..what are the odds of UA opening a business saver seat?
Old Feb 25, 2018, 6:53 pm

Originally Posted by atcanobbio
so 4 days out and UA's SFO-PEK shows J6 C6..what are the odds of UA opening a business saver seat?
Close to zero.

For those following at home, the full inventory listing is: J6 C6 D0 Z0 P0 PN0 R0 RN0 IN0 I0

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.