Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA award booking,change questions/fees/issues/routing/excursionist problems {Archive}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 27, 2016, 9:23 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
United's Announcement and FAQ

Kacee's Interpretation

Main Impact Since October 6
  • Fee Changes such as platinum members are subject to various award fees
  • No more free stopover - replaced with Excursionist Perk
  • Agents no longer have the ability to find routings that do not show up on united.com
  • Manually constructing trips using multi-city search results in multiple award fares being charged
  • Changing any segment MIGHT require current availability for all existing Os&Ds in the PNR (as if a brand new booking is made) - YMMV
  • Singapore Airlines segments are priced separately (add-ons)

Useful Links
This is an archive thread, the active thread is Award booking questions/ issues/ routing/ excursionist problems / help
Print Wikipost

UA award booking,change questions/fees/issues/routing/excursionist problems {Archive}

Search this Thread

Old Apr 24, 2019, 1:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by GordonGordon
The UA agent told me that I couldn't just add a segment to my booking, award seats have to be available on both flights (A to B and B to C) in order to change the booking, and she said the 2 flights are married segments, she couldn't just add the flight A to B to my booking
Unfortunately, this has been standard since the introduction of the updated booking system in October 2016. If you're feeling adventurous, you can try making the change online. It might work, or it might not -- and if it doesn't work, it can mess up your itinerary in a way that can be difficult (or even impossible) to fix.
Old Apr 24, 2019, 1:10 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
This morning I found out award seats for A to B were released by partner airlines and became available, so I called UA to try to add this segment to my existing booking. The UA agent told me that I couldn't just add a segment to my booking, award seats have to be available on both flights (A to B and B to C) in order to change the booking, and she said the 2 flights are married segments, she couldn't just add the flight A to B to my booking; however, B to C is no longer available because I took it few months ago and the partner airlines doesn't release more award seats. ...
First, this is not married segments
Second, this has been true for the past 30 months

For all practical purpose, you cannot add or change a single segment on award tickers. To make a change, you essentially have to rebook the new itin including the segments you don't need to change

So if you have BBB-CCC and want AAA-BBB-CCC, there needs to be NEW availability for both AAA-BBB, and BBB-CCC. Which means in many cases you can not add the AAA-BBB because the BBB-CCC is not availability.

A few have reported some agents seem to get around this but they are likely breaking the rules.
Old Apr 24, 2019, 5:04 am
Aman 5+ BadgeFour Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: UA1K, *G & Wife of UA1K MM
Hey guys. I’ve got a question.
I have multiple travelers booked on the following STANDARD award itinerary.
BOS-DEN-KOA (UA)
KOA-LIH (HA)
LIH-DEN-BOS (UA)
If 1 seat on the outbound or return becomes available as a SAVER award, would an agent be able to give me the miles credit? Or would it require reticketing the whole thing and thus create a mess (whether the HA flight is available, dividing out one traveler, etc.)?

Thanks!
Old Apr 24, 2019, 5:10 am

Programs: UA-lifetime Platinum (2MM), IHG-Amb, HH-Diamond, Hertz-PC, Marriott-Gold, CX-AM
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
First, this is not married segments
Second, this has been true for the past 30 months

For all practical purpose, you cannot add or change a single segment on award tickers. To make a change, you essentially have to rebook the new itin including the segments you don't need to change

So if you have BBB-CCC and want AAA-BBB-CCC, there needs to be NEW availability for both AAA-BBB, and BBB-CCC. Which means in many cases you can not add the AAA-BBB because the BBB-CCC is not availability.

A few have reported some agents seem to get around this but they are likely breaking the rules.
First, after u made our reply here, I called UA the 3rd time, and the 3rd agent still said they are married segments and said she just couldn't add the 1st segment on my existing booking; she emphasized they are married segments and both must have award seats available in order to make change. I politely hanged up the phone and thought I had enough of {this} since I had been doing it for many years and never had any issue, probably because this year is the very 1st time I didn't make it to 1K after being more than 20 years of 1K, so the previous 3 calls were transferred to non 1K desk, and I think only 1K desk knows better what they are doing.

Later I decided to called the 1K toll free number and asked the 1K desk agent to transfer me to the web support, the web support agent knew exactly what to do and did it in less than 10 minutes without bringing out any "married segment" issue.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Apr 24, 2019 at 11:12 am Reason: Using symbols, spaces or other methods to mask vulgarities is not allowed.
Old Apr 24, 2019, 7:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by Ericka
Hey guys. I’ve got a question.
I have multiple travelers booked on the following STANDARD award itinerary.
BOS-DEN-KOA (UA)
KOA-LIH (HA)
LIH-DEN-BOS (UA)
If 1 seat on the outbound or return becomes available as a SAVER award, would an agent be able to give me the miles credit? Or would it require reticketing the whole thing and thus create a mess (whether the HA flight is available, dividing out one traveler, etc.)?

Thanks!
Possible, but may require HUCA. The default thing would be to reprice the entire itinerary.
Old Apr 24, 2019, 9:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I had been doing it for many years and never had any issue, probably because this year is the very 1st time I didn't make it to 1K after being more than 20 years of 1K, so the previous 3 calls were transferred to non 1K desk, and I think only 1K desk knows better what they are doing.
Had you done this since October, 2016? They changed the booking systems at that time. They were specifically trying to stop people from building awards the way that you described.

There is no 1K desk, and hasn't been for quite a few years. The phone queue is prioritized by status, but an agent may answer a call from a 1K, then a call from a Platinum, and then a call from a general member.

Later I decided to called the 1K toll free number and asked the 1K desk agent to transfer me to the web support, the web support agent knew exactly what to do and did it in less than 10 minutes without bringing out any "married segment" issue.
Thank you for the tip. ^ I don't think calling the 1K line made any difference -- the phone system is still supposed to recognize your current status and route you appropriately. But it's nice to know that web support agents might still be using the old booking system.

Originally Posted by Ericka
They would definitely have to divide out one traveler and reticket. Availability on the HA flight might or might not be required (but assume yes).

Originally Posted by findark
Possible, but may require HUCA. The default thing would be to reprice the entire itinerary.
They can't do it without repricing the itinerary. They wouldn't just credit the mileage difference and then leave it a standard award -- it has to be re-ticketed as a saver award, if only to prevent an unscrupulous person from then going in and cancelling the original and getting a big mileage bonus.
Old Apr 24, 2019, 9:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by jsloan
They can't do it without repricing the itinerary. They wouldn't just credit the mileage difference and then leave it a standard award -- it has to be re-ticketed as a saver award, if only to prevent an unscrupulous person from then going in and cancelling the original and getting a big mileage bonus.
Oh, that's a good point. I have had recent success doing things like editing an interior segment (changed CPH-OSL to CPH-BGO without losing unavailable TATL partner I space) but I guess it was an even exchange. Not sure if they can hold the HA segment here.
Old Apr 24, 2019, 9:31 am

Programs: UA 1K MM, Hilton Diamond, SPG lifetime platinum
I want to fly LAX to VIE in J. For my preferred date there is currently no J option shown for a LAX-VIE routing. However, there is J space for LAX-ORD-FRA. There is also J space for ORD-FRA-VIE. I would be willing to fly LAX-ORD-FRA-VIE (2 stops) and all flights have saver J or Y availability on an individual basis but UA.com isn't putting this together. Am I understanding this discussion to say that a phone agent would also be unable to do this? Or is my situation different because currently saver space is available on all flights?
Old Apr 24, 2019, 9:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by entrada
Am I understanding this discussion to say that a phone agent would also be unable to do this? Or is my situation different because currently saver space is available on all flights?
Your understanding is correct, for the most part.

However, there are sporadic reports of agents being willing to add a domestic connector on UA to an existing international reservation, so I would try booking ORD-FRA-VIE and then calling within 24 hours to see if you can get LAX-ORD added on. If you can't get an agent to agree, you would still be able to cancel and get a full refund within that 24 hour period.
Old Apr 24, 2019, 9:35 am

Programs: UA MM/Gold; WN A-list; HH something depending; Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by entrada
I want to fly LAX to VIE in J. For my preferred date there is currently no J option shown for a LAX-VIE routing. However, there is J space for LAX-ORD-FRA. There is also J space for ORD-FRA-VIE. I would be willing to fly LAX-ORD-FRA-VIE (2 stops) and all flights have saver J or Y availability on an individual basis but UA.com isn't putting this together. Am I understanding this discussion to say that a phone agent would also be unable to do this? Or is my situation different because currently saver space is available on all flights?
Pretty much. The agents now seem mostly limited to whatever the computer tells them as opposed to before. Could the excursionist perk work for you since you see availability (vs booking logically like you tried)? LAX-FRA, excursionist to VIE, then VIE-LAX? I've never used it so still get confused, but I think that works.
Old Apr 24, 2019, 9:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by abaheti
Pretty much. The agents now seem mostly limited to whatever the computer tells them as opposed to before. Could the excursionist perk work for you since you see availability (vs booking logically like you tried)? LAX-FRA, excursionist to VIE, then VIE-LAX? I've never used it so still get confused, but I think that works.
If OP is planning a round-trip flight, and doesn't have another use for the excursionist perk, yes, this will work.
Old Apr 24, 2019, 10:12 am
Aman 5+ BadgeFour Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: UA1K, *G & Wife of UA1K MM
Thanks for the information, everyone!

Ericka
Old Apr 27, 2019, 4:16 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75K, UA Gold, Marriott LTT, Avis President's Club
Is there married segment logic on award bookings?

Looking at a date in Jan. I see NRT-LAX. However, if I search MNL-LAX then noting. Can I just call UA and get them to put an award together?
Old Apr 27, 2019, 4:24 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by JHake10
Is there married segment logic on award bookings?

Looking at a date in Jan. I see NRT-LAX. However, if I search MNL-LAX then noting. Can I just call UA and get them to put an award together?
Is MNL-NRT available?
Old Apr 27, 2019, 4:37 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75K, UA Gold, Marriott LTT, Avis President's Club
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Is MNL-NRT available?
MNL-NRT is currently only available in X (which is fine, I can put an alert out for I).

NRT-LAX is available in I.

MNL-NRT only shows 2 stop mixed connections through BKK.

This is for Jan 23 2020 for 2 people.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.