Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA award booking,change questions/fees/issues/routing/excursionist problems {Archive}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 27, 2016, 9:23 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
United's Announcement and FAQ

Kacee's Interpretation

Main Impact Since October 6
  • Fee Changes such as platinum members are subject to various award fees
  • No more free stopover - replaced with Excursionist Perk
  • Agents no longer have the ability to find routings that do not show up on united.com
  • Manually constructing trips using multi-city search results in multiple award fares being charged
  • Changing any segment MIGHT require current availability for all existing Os&Ds in the PNR (as if a brand new booking is made) - YMMV
  • Singapore Airlines segments are priced separately (add-ons)

Useful Links
This is an archive thread, the active thread is Award booking questions/ issues/ routing/ excursionist problems / help
Print Wikipost

UA award booking,change questions/fees/issues/routing/excursionist problems {Archive}

Search this Thread

Old Feb 21, 2019, 4:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by greenteamuimui
my bad, just wanted to get some clarity on what you said. If there were availability on the last min leg and in intra-europe leg (which should be plenty?), are you saying that my original Europe - West Coast leg could get dropped since they would have to drop the reservation and make a new one? Instead of making changes to the existing one?
Essentially, yes. (Or, more likely, they'd just say they can't make the change). From a customer point of view, it looks like a change, not a new booking, because the confirmation number is the same. However, there are many reports that, behind the scenes, the system works as if it were creating an entire new record, which means there'd need to be current availability on each partner leg. (For UA-operated flights, the agents can force availability to make it work, but they can't do that on partner flights).

You're welcome to try it, but don't be surprised if that turns out to be the case.
Old Feb 21, 2019, 9:32 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, MLife Gold, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Caesars Diamond, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by greenteamuimui
hi there, I am a noob when it comes to Star Alliance awards...have a few questions about booking a trip with MileagePlus miles

I saw a business class availability on a partner segment on April 21st and wanted to book it now (to secure it) from Europe to US (West Coast), how easy is it to change/add the leg on the way to Europe (hoping to get a last minute award) from west cost so it's a multi-stop/round trip booking with a free segment within Europe 7 - 10 days prior to 4/21?

Many thanks!
I have to agree with the others. My recent experience: booked a UA award Europe-USA on a partner airline. Called within 24 hours to change to add outbound USA-Europe plus excursionist intra Europe flight. Was told they’d have to cancel original booking and rebook. They also said no guarantee award seats would go back into inventory. I suggest going into this process assuming that you may be stuck with the one way and having a back up plan. If you call and there’s space for your rebooking then awesome. Also keep in mind that the change fee would apply and might be more than the intra Europe flight (I’m not sure but think change fee may be $150 unless you have UA status).
Old Feb 21, 2019, 9:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Stgermainparis
I’m not sure but think change fee may be $150 unless you have UA status.
With no status, the charge is $75 per passenger if the change is made more than 60 days prior to departure; $125 otherwise.
Old Feb 22, 2019, 8:47 am

United is starting the MEL-SFO route this fall/winter. Should we expect decent award availability since it will be a new route?

Any other US to Australia routes offer a decent chance at a J redemption?
Old Feb 22, 2019, 9:19 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by HolyTiger
United is starting the MEL-SFO route this fall/winter. Should we expect decent award availability since it will be a new route?
Don't expect anything and you won't be disappointed.
Originally Posted by HolyTiger
Any other US to Australia routes offer a decent chance at a J redemption?
People have had some success with IAH-SYD. But the best advice for finding saver J awards is to check all the options every day.
Old Feb 22, 2019, 9:26 am

Originally Posted by Kacee
Don't expect anything and you won't be disappointed.

I don't. I'm expecting to connect through Asia on our return. We lucked out with QF F from DFW for departure, lightning doesn't generally strike twice.

People have had some success with IAH-SYD. But the best advice for finding saver J awards is to check all the options every day.
I've been watching all Australia to US routes and thats the one i never find availability on but that would be my preferred choice.
I do see the SYD-LAX/SFO last minute availability popup on some dates.
Old Feb 22, 2019, 3:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Saver Business space on UA metal is very difficult to find in advance, and I've never had much luck to Australia. Upgrade space (PZ) though is comparatively easy in my opinion.
Old Feb 22, 2019, 8:50 pm

Originally Posted by findark
Saver Business space on UA metal is very difficult to find in advance, and I've never had much luck to Australia. Upgrade space (PZ) though is comparatively easy in my opinion.
remind me....PZ is space you can upgrade to instantly with a GPU?
Old Feb 22, 2019, 10:35 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by FlyingHighlander
remind me....PZ is space you can upgrade to instantly with a GPU?
If PZ>0, yes
Old Feb 23, 2019, 12:26 am

Programs: Au: UA, Marriott, Hilton; GE
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
If PZ>0, yes
Could you kindly note what the equivalent code is for domestic RPU use? Thank you.
Old Feb 23, 2019, 12:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by 747FC
Could you kindly note what the equivalent code is for domestic RPU use? Thank you.
It's the same: PZ
Old Mar 1, 2019, 9:53 am

Programs: Au: UA, Marriott, Hilton; GE
Allow me to Vent

I'm trying to get from HNL to CTS on a J or O award. On several possible travel dates, United comes up with seats on either ANA (in O) or UA (J). However, in each case, one needs to transfer airports to catch a connecting flight. For example:

Fly ANA O-class into HND, but need to transfer to NRT to get to CTS. No connecting flights showing to CTS from HND..

Fly UA J-class into NRT, but need to transfer to HND to get to CTS. No connecting flights showing to CTS from NRT.

Is this crazy or what?
Old Mar 7, 2019, 3:20 pm

Programs: *A "Top 1000 2015", FB Lifetime Plat.; BA Silver; Ma; Hilton Diamond.rriott Gold
Can't ticket award flight AMS-LIS-MAD-BOG-UiO?

Trhying to book award flight AMS-MAD via LIS on day X and MAD-BOG-UIO on day X+1. I can book each separately, but if I try to book as a single ticket, using a multi city itinerary, then I get an error after selecting the second leg flightsI get:Error

Due to rapidly changing partner availability the following flights are no longer available. Please choose another flight or modify your search criteria.
  • TAP Portugal flight TP1018 - 20/12/2019 - 18:05 - Lisbon, PT (LIS) to Madrid, ES (MAD)
But there is still availability if I retry immediately. Is there something about this routing that means it won't ticket? I'd do it all on one day but I can't get to MAD in time from AMS to catch the 1350.

If I book the AMS-MAD section on LH via FRA on day X then I can get through to the next page. So it seems to be someting specific to using TP.

Any ideas as the TP timings are more convenient?

Thanks!

PS When I choose AMS-FRA-MAD + AMS-BOG-UIO it shows a 80k+25k = 105 miles for a biz award. But there is less than 24 hours between arriving and departing MAD so it's a layover rather than a stopover isn't it, so should be a total of 80k miles? I can book DUB-MAD-BOG-UIO for 80k miles in biz.

Last edited by Leedsflyer; Mar 7, 2019 at 3:35 pm Reason: added a PS about mileage used
Old Mar 7, 2019, 3:32 pm

Programs: All of them, UA-Plat, 1MM*G
Any particular reason for this itinerary? AMS-IAH-UIO would seem to be a lot more convenient. All on UA metal with just one connection.
AMS-IAH, 1105-1430, UA21
IAH-UIO, 1820-2335, UA1035
Old Mar 7, 2019, 3:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Leedsflyer
PS When I choose AMS-FRA-MAD + AMS-BOG-UIO it shows a 80k+25k = 105 miles for a biz award. But there is less than 24 hours between arriving and departing MAD so it's a layover rather than a stopover isn't it, so should be a total of 80k miles? I can book DUB-MAD-BOG-UIO for 80k miles in biz.
As soon as you use multi-city search, United will now price it as point-to-point, regardless of whether it's a stopover or not. The only way to get the 80K price is to get AMS-UIO for the 80K price is to get it to appear on a single search result or to get a kind agent to relax the rules for you, normally by booking the long segment first and then calling to add the shorter segment.

That's what I'd recommend, anyway; book what you can, let it ticket, and then call within 24 hours to add the rest and see if you can get the lower price. If it doesn't work out, you can cancel.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.