Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA award booking,change questions/fees/issues/routing/excursionist problems {Archive}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 27, 2016, 9:23 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
United's Announcement and FAQ

Kacee's Interpretation

Main Impact Since October 6
  • Fee Changes such as platinum members are subject to various award fees
  • No more free stopover - replaced with Excursionist Perk
  • Agents no longer have the ability to find routings that do not show up on united.com
  • Manually constructing trips using multi-city search results in multiple award fares being charged
  • Changing any segment MIGHT require current availability for all existing Os&Ds in the PNR (as if a brand new booking is made) - YMMV
  • Singapore Airlines segments are priced separately (add-ons)

Useful Links
This is an archive thread, the active thread is Award booking questions/ issues/ routing/ excursionist problems / help
Print Wikipost

UA award booking,change questions/fees/issues/routing/excursionist problems {Archive}

Search this Thread

Old Feb 13, 2019, 9:00 am
RNE

Originally Posted by Stgermainparis
CSR could have made the change except that the 5 one way tickets would have to be canceled and then the whole thing rebooked. He couldn't guarantee that the AC seats would go back into their inventory. So I left as is.
I often book just when award windows open. I used to wait for the return to open before booking a RT, but I got burned a couple of times: the outbound was gone or only offered less-desirable options. (This is especially likely with scant BF seats!) Nowadays, I book one-ways to and from. Yes, if I need to cancel I get hit with double redeposit fees, but I don't cancel often and the fees are minimal anyway. Plus, there's always the chance a schedule change gets me a fee-free redeposit.

RNE, placing high value on getting just the right flights in the cabin I want.
Old Feb 13, 2019, 9:22 am

Programs: AA, UA, GE
Originally Posted by RNE
I often book just when award windows open. I used to wait for the return to open before booking a RT, but I got burned a couple of times: the outbound was gone or only offered less-desirable options. (This is especially likely with scant BF seats!) Nowadays, I book one-ways to and from. Yes, if I need to cancel I get hit with double redeposit fees, but I don't cancel often and the fees are minimal anyway. Plus, there's always the chance a schedule change gets me a fee-free redeposit.

RNE, placing high value on getting just the right flights in the cabin I want.
+1

It sounds like we both do it the same way and for the same reasons. I usually only book awards for high value premium cabin flights for very long distance destinations. The difference between a preferable and a not so preferable option can be an additional 10 - 18 hours of travel time and this can really shorten your actual time at the destination by at least a day.
Old Feb 19, 2019, 3:25 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL SM, UA MP.
Originally Posted by wco81
Been looking for J saver awards to either VRN (first choice) or VCE (second choice) for late August, early September. Originating from SFO.

There is some good award availability to either location via LH or OS TATL to about March 26 and then nothing. In August, there are some awards to VCE on LOT but they're like 20 hours or more outbounds, some approaching 30 hours so a long layovers in WAW.

Is there reason to hope that within 2 months of my target travel dates (last week of August or first week of September for the outbound) there would be more options, especially the more rational travel times of around 15 hours via LH?

Or am I only seeing awards on LH metal for close-in dates and/or because it's winter and they're unlikely to be available in late August or early September, which are still in peak season for TATL flights?
So I noticed as I keep checking, more saver awards show up.

Now for instance, there are J saver awards for April 1, 2 and 3, a week after March 26. So maybe they're releasing some J savers gradually, so that there's always a moving window of 8-10 weeks out from when you search?

Is that a typical pattern for releases of awards?
Old Feb 19, 2019, 7:10 pm

Programs: United Mileage Plus
I'm flying SMF to FRA in mid June to early July. I've got 250K miles. I'd love Business Class both ways but no Business savers are available. So I thought I'd take the economy tickets at 70K each and buy the economy plus option. But that seems expensive too at $300 a leg. I called in about the Premium Plus and I can get that for 240K for both flights. I'm a Premier member and could wait to see if there are Plus seats available 24 hours before departure - but what are the odds of that happening. Can someone advise me the best method to get the most comfortable seats?
Old Feb 19, 2019, 7:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mkbug
I'm a Premier member and could wait to see if there are Plus seats available 24 hours before departure - but what are the odds of that happening.
You mean that you are Silver Premier and can select Economy Plus at check-in, correct? Premium Plus will not be available automatically regardless of Premier level.
Old Feb 19, 2019, 7:22 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
I'm flying SMF to FRA in mid June to early July. I've got 250K miles. I'd love Business Class both ways but no Business savers are available. So I thought I'd take the economy tickets at 70K each and buy the economy plus option. But that seems expensive too at $300 a leg. I called in about the Premium Plus and I can get that for 240K for both flights. I'm a Premier member and could wait to see if there are Plus seats available 24 hours before departure - but what are the odds of that happening. Can someone advise me the best method to get the most comfortable seats?
I see availability on LH via DEN on July 8. I also see DEN-FRA available on July 7 and 11, but no domestic connector SMF-DEN. You could book a separate ticket SMF-DEN if one of those dates works for you. You could follow the same strategy on other routes. LH often opens J space from SEA, DTW, BOS. ORD, EWR, and IAD are also possible.

Note also that award availability is dynamic. If you search daily, you have a decent chance of finding something that works.

Personally I would not pay the "Everyday" award price; it's not a good redemption value. But if you don't have a better use for the miles . . . .
Old Feb 19, 2019, 7:49 pm

Programs: UA Gold (1K 2016–2023 by miracle extensions; RIP 1K status), 1MM

By
I'm a Premier member and could wait to see if there are Plus seats available 24 hours before departure - but what are the odds of that happening. Can someone advise me the best method to get the most comfortable seats?
"Plus seats" you mean Economy Plus rather than Premium Plus, right? And by "Premier member" you mean Premier Silver, right? You could watch the seat map daily or at least somewhat frequently. If the Economy Plus seats look like they're filling up, you could fork over the $300 but I think some will be available at check in. Just be sure you check in at T-minus 24 so you have the most options. Even then, keep checking the map. If some folks get upgraded or whatever, you can recheck in and change seats after you've checked in the first time.

Premium Plus seats are a lot nicer than regular economy/Economy Plus seats (similar to domestic first). And the PP service, when it launches, is supposed to be much better as well. Whether it's worth it for you is another question.
Old Feb 19, 2019, 9:37 pm

Programs: United Mileage Plus
Originally Posted by Kannai
By "Plus seats" you mean Economy Plus rather than Premium Plus, right? And by "Premier member" you mean Premier Silver, right?.
Yes on both counts. Silver and Economy Plus.
Old Feb 21, 2019, 8:51 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, MLife Gold, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Caesars Diamond, Amex Plat
I’m not sure if this is the right place for my question but here goes. I booked UA saver award for 5 pax via ANA (USA-CUN). UA is showing United Economy as service class. Does this mean one carryon is free? Bc when I click on baggage info, it says Basic Economy tix are not allowed carryon and must pay to check. I don’t know if this is just a generic warning.

If we don’t have a free carryon and I end up getting a UA cc, will that fix the issue? I obviously would not have used that cc for the award booking fees. And in this scenario, could we just check the bag? Does it apply to all pax on same PRN?

Old Feb 21, 2019, 8:55 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
I booked UA saver award for 5 pax via ANA (USA-CUN). UA is showing United Economy as service class.
You're booked in X. That is not basic economy. You're subject to the normal carry-on rules.
Old Feb 21, 2019, 8:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I’m not sure if this is the right place for my question but here goes. I booked UA saver award for 5 pax via ANA (USA-CUN). UA is showing United Economy as service class. Does this mean one carryon is free?
Yes. Award tickets don't book into Basic Economy (yet; you never know what the future may bring).
Old Feb 21, 2019, 8:59 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, MLife Gold, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Caesars Diamond, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by Kacee
You're booked in X. That is not basic economy. You're subject to the normal carry-on rules.
Originally Posted by jsloan
Yes. Award tickets don't book into Basic Economy (yet; you never know what the future may bring).
Okay. Thanks!
Old Feb 21, 2019, 3:58 pm

Questions about booking united award with excursionist perk

hi there, I am a noob when it comes to Star Alliance awards...have a few questions about booking a trip with MileagePlus miles

I saw a business class availability on a partner segment on April 21st and wanted to book it now (to secure it) from Europe to US (West Coast), how easy is it to change/add the leg on the way to Europe (hoping to get a last minute award) from west cost so it's a multi-stop/round trip booking with a free segment within Europe 7 - 10 days prior to 4/21?

Many thanks!
Old Feb 21, 2019, 4:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by greenteamuimui
hi there, I am a noob when it comes to Star Alliance awards...have a few questions about booking a trip with MileagePlus miles

I saw a business class availability on a partner segment on April 21st and wanted to book it now (to secure it) from Europe to US (West Coast), how easy is it to change/add the leg on the way to Europe (hoping to get a last minute award) from west cost so it's a multi-stop/round trip booking with a free segment within Europe 7 - 10 days prior to 4/21?

Many thanks!
Assume it's not possible. In general, recently UA has made it difficult to make changes to existing awards unless all partner legs still have award space (as if they were creating a new reservation and then dropping the old one).
Old Feb 21, 2019, 4:11 pm

Originally Posted by jsloan
Assume it's not possible. In general, recently UA has made it difficult to make changes to existing awards unless all partner legs still have award space (as if they were creating a new reservation and then dropping the old one).
my bad, just wanted to get some clarity on what you said. If there were availability on the last min leg and in intra-europe leg (which should be plenty?), are you saying that my original Europe - West Coast leg could get dropped since they would have to drop the reservation and make a new one? Instead of making changes to the existing one?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.