Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA award booking,change questions/fees/issues/routing/excursionist problems {Archive}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 27, 2016, 9:23 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
United's Announcement and FAQ

Kacee's Interpretation

Main Impact Since October 6
  • Fee Changes such as platinum members are subject to various award fees
  • No more free stopover - replaced with Excursionist Perk
  • Agents no longer have the ability to find routings that do not show up on united.com
  • Manually constructing trips using multi-city search results in multiple award fares being charged
  • Changing any segment MIGHT require current availability for all existing Os&Ds in the PNR (as if a brand new booking is made) - YMMV
  • Singapore Airlines segments are priced separately (add-ons)

Useful Links
This is an archive thread, the active thread is Award booking questions/ issues/ routing/ excursionist problems / help
Print Wikipost

UA award booking,change questions/fees/issues/routing/excursionist problems {Archive}

Search this Thread

Old Jan 28, 2019, 5:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by iapetus
However, I need a third ticket and don't have the miles for an award; so I'd like to purchase it outright. But when I perform a regular (i.e. not award) search, I do not see that same itinerary available for purchase through UA. Is this unusual?
No, that's not the least bit unusual. For cash tickets, UA would rather sell you flights on its own planes. They may not even be able to sell you the NZ flight if they wanted to -- NZ may restrict them from doing so. For example, here's a sales restriction from a discount NZ LAX-LHR economy fare:

TICKETS MUST BE ISSUED ON NZ. EXTENSION OF TICKET VALIDITY IS NOT PERMITTED.
Old Jan 29, 2019, 8:47 am

Programs: 1K 2.2MM
Reading this thread about CofC and multiple bookings....never really occured to me. I don't want torget into trouble here.

My situation is a have a flight SFO-europe with a connection on staralliance partner in business in the evening. The next day I have a United Y award with a waitlist for business on a nonstop to the same destination. I will take UA if waitlist clears, or get on StarA flight evening before and cancel UA if waitlist does not clear by then. Is this a bad things to do? (There are still award seats available on both my flights in cabin I booked so not blocking others from booking) My intention was to book a backup if upgrade didn't clear, but does this violate the rules in a significant way?

***UPDATE***

Made my decision here to cancel waitlisted UA flight. Not sure if it was going to be an issue at all but didn't want to worry about it. Figure if waitlist clears, that would mean there are saver business seats available and I would change other reservation....

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Jan 29, 2019 at 3:28 pm Reason: merging consecutive / update posts by same member
Old Jan 29, 2019, 9:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by 1k-all-the-way
Made my decision here to cancel waitlisted UA flight. Not sure if it was going to be an issue at all but didn't want to worry about it. Figure if waitlist clears, that would mean there are saver business seats available and I would change other reservation....
If UA had noticed the two reservations, they would have cancelled one of them. If you were lucky, they'd have asked you first which one you wanted to keep.

You should be able to have the best of both worlds, though. You should be able to waitlist for the UA nonstop on your existing one-stop itinerary. It's worth calling to ask, anyway.
Old Jan 29, 2019, 10:47 am

Programs: 1K 2.2MM
Originally Posted by jsloan
If UA had noticed the two reservations, they would have cancelled one of them. If you were lucky, they'd have asked you first which one you wanted to keep.

You should be able to have the best of both worlds, though. You should be able to waitlist for the UA nonstop on your existing one-stop itinerary. It's worth calling to ask, anyway.
thanks for the advice, but how can I waitlist for non stop? My understanding is you can't waitlist united flight when on star partner. Is that true?
Old Jan 29, 2019, 10:59 am

Programs: TK ELPL (*G), AS 100K (OWE), BA Gold (OWE), Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat
The problem is that while I can go directly to NZ to purchase that a ticket on that flight, going about it this way means that it's going to look like there is at least one unaccompanied minor (i.e. either one or both of the iapetus jrs. will wind up on a different PNR than mrs. iapetus), which will lead to all sorts of other headaches. Just thought I'd see if any of my fellow FTers have some insight on this that I lack ...
Shouldn't be a problem - just book them as "adults" on the NZ website.
Old Jan 29, 2019, 11:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by 1k-all-the-way
thanks for the advice, but how can I waitlist for non stop? My understanding is you can't waitlist united flight when on star partner. Is that true?
Just call. You can't waitlist for a partner flight. However, you have a confirmed business class award, so you should be eligible to waitlist for the United flight. You may need to HUCA once or twice, but it's definitely within the rules.
Old Jan 29, 2019, 11:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, 1MM
Originally Posted by PVDtoDEL
Shouldn't be a problem - just book them as "adults" on the NZ website.
Hmmm ... I hadn't thought to do that. So this is what would happen:
  • The iapetus jrs. would fly LAX-LHR on a UA award ticket on an NZ-operated flight as "adults".
  • mrs. iapetus would fly paid Y on the same flight, booked directly with NZ.
  • The three of them would continue on another flight (prob'ly AL or AF) to Italy. (I'm seeing connections that would be 4-5 hours in duration -- plenty of time to collect bags, clear immigration and check in for the next flight.)

I suppose that could work. I don't like telling UA that my kids are adults, but it's not like they're going to actually be unaccompanied.
Old Jan 29, 2019, 1:11 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL SM, UA MP.
Been looking for J saver awards to either VRN (first choice) or VCE (second choice) for late August, early September. Originating from SFO.

There is some good award availability to either location via LH or OS TATL to about March 26 and then nothing. In August, there are some awards to VCE on LOT but they're like 20 hours or more outbounds, some approaching 30 hours so a long layovers in WAW.

Is there reason to hope that within 2 months of my target travel dates (last week of August or first week of September for the outbound) there would be more options, especially the more rational travel times of around 15 hours via LH?

Or am I only seeing awards on LH metal for close-in dates and/or because it's winter and they're unlikely to be available in late August or early September, which are still in peak season for TATL flights?
Old Jan 29, 2019, 1:58 pm

Programs: TK ELPL (*G), AS 100K (OWE), BA Gold (OWE), Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat
Summer is peak season, so award availability TATL often sells out almost a year in advance. More inventory might open up close to departure if the flights haven't sold as well as inventory management predicts - however, that's taking a pretty big chance.

WAW is a reasonably nice city to spend a day, especially in the summertime - might be worth just taking a long layover and exploring a new place.
Old Jan 29, 2019, 2:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by PVDtoDEL
Summer is peak season, so award availability TATL often sells out almost a year in advance. More inventory might open up close to departure if the flights haven't sold as well as inventory management predicts - however, that's taking a pretty big chance.
Last year I snapped up some TATL award tickets in ~March for June travel when some inventory suddenly opened up. It looks like I might be in the same boat waiting for something to open up ... and I'm not happy about being in this situation again. If I don't see something in the next ~six weeks, I'll probably just nab what I can ... unless what I want just happens to open up between now and then.
Old Jan 29, 2019, 4:09 pm

Programs: AA, UA, GE
How long does it take UA to ticket an award? I am trying to book a one way award involving AC and CA and it has been about 36 hours since I purchased it online. Nothing special involved. I was able to find the flights using the UA search and purchased it without incident.
Old Jan 29, 2019, 4:45 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by cheltzel
How long does it take UA to ticket an award? I am trying to book a one way award involving AC and CA and it has been about 36 hours since I purchased it online. Nothing special involved. I was able to find the flights using the UA search and purchased it without incident.
36 hours suggests there is a problem and CA is not uncommonly the problem. Suggest you call.
Old Jan 29, 2019, 5:58 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL SM, UA MP.
Last year I snapped up some TATL award tickets in ~March for June travel when some inventory suddenly opened up. It looks like I might be in the same boat waiting for something to open up ... and I'm not happy about being in this situation again. If I don't see something in the next ~six weeks, I'll probably just nab what I can ... unless what I want just happens to open up between now and then.
I can try to wait to see if something opens up.

But what do I do, book hotels and cars at refundable rates and hope award flights open up for the dates you happen to book in advance?

I usually book the flights first to have certainty about dates and book the other things afterwards.
Old Jan 30, 2019, 5:20 am

Programs: AA, UA, GE
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
36 hours suggests there is a problem and CA is not uncommonly the problem. Suggest you call.
I was going to call today, assuming it may require the assistance of someone working a day job here in the US. And I found the the ticket confirmation email in my inbox about 30 minutes ago. It only took about 44 hours.
Old Jan 30, 2019, 10:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by wco81
But what do I do, book hotels and cars at refundable rates and hope award flights open up for the dates you happen to book in advance?

I usually book the flights first to have certainty about dates and book the other things afterwards.
That's exactly what I'm planning to do ... but, yes, it's not the way I'd prefer to do things. In my case, though, it's not that bad. I'll be in Europe for three weeks. The first week will be for work; so I'm confident that that will happen, and I know the constraints to which I will have to work. The next week will be spent with friends who have already arranged housing for everyone. The third week is up to my family and me. I'm confident that I'll find something that we can make work.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.