Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA award booking,change questions/fees/issues/routing/excursionist problems {Archive}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 27, 2016, 9:23 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
United's Announcement and FAQ

Kacee's Interpretation

Main Impact Since October 6
  • Fee Changes such as platinum members are subject to various award fees
  • No more free stopover - replaced with Excursionist Perk
  • Agents no longer have the ability to find routings that do not show up on united.com
  • Manually constructing trips using multi-city search results in multiple award fares being charged
  • Changing any segment MIGHT require current availability for all existing Os&Ds in the PNR (as if a brand new booking is made) - YMMV
  • Singapore Airlines segments are priced separately (add-ons)

Useful Links
This is an archive thread, the active thread is Award booking questions/ issues/ routing/ excursionist problems / help
Print Wikipost

UA award booking,change questions/fees/issues/routing/excursionist problems {Archive}

Search this Thread

Old Dec 21, 2018, 11:33 am

Originally Posted by jsloan
No -- the worst case is that there is a bad snowstorm on the 20th and all flights throughout UA's system are completely sold out for the next couple of days.

I'm not saying that's likely, but it's definitely possible. If I were planning to do this, I'd keep a very watchful eye on inventory and the weather.
Luckily for me, I booked a saver award this morning. Pretty much the only seat in my preferred time range. I have been monitoring the inventory for the week, and planning for alternative route. The inventory goes out fast even without the snow storm.
Old Dec 28, 2018, 10:57 am

Programs: MileagePlus
Booking Help (Through United's Site)

I am booking a two segment one-way flight (return from tour overseas for uncle sam) for 4 people and two pets on ANA and can't seem to book the flight on a single itinerary. I am trying to book these two flights on a single itinerary. If I do a multi-city it works (20hr layover which is fine) but I have to drop an extra 32,000 miles. Is there anything I can do? Thank you!!

NH 2158 OKA to NRT on 23JAN19 at 1155
NH 2 NRT to IAD on 24 JAN19 at 0915
Old Dec 28, 2018, 11:19 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by Maximum404
I am booking a two segment one-way flight (return from tour overseas for uncle sam) for 4 people and two pets on ANA and can't seem to book the flight on a single itinerary. I am trying to book these two flights on a single itinerary. If I do a multi-city it works (20hr layover which is fine) but I have to drop an extra 32,000 miles. Is there anything I can do? Thank you!!

NH 2158 OKA to NRT on 23JAN19 at 1155
NH 2 NRT to IAD on 24 JAN19 at 0915
Unfortunately this is a common issue with the award booking engine for the past couple of years. Multi-city will now always force multiple awards and the search engine does not report all available options.

It is reporting any options?
Are you limited to ANA/NH due to the pets?

It is always worth a call but doubtful they will see anything better. You can try to ask for some special consideration due to your circumstances but that is likely to fail also (but may be worth a try).
Old Dec 28, 2018, 12:13 pm

Programs: Don't think it matters...
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Unfortunately this is a common issue with the award booking engine for the past couple of years. Multi-city will now always force multiple awards and the search engine does not report all available options.
It is always worth a call but doubtful they will see anything better. You can try to ask for some special consideration due to your circumstances but that is likely to fail also (but may be worth a try).
Will checking segment wise and then calling to book work similar to when we check for two OW itineraries and then call to get them booked as a r/t ?
Old Dec 28, 2018, 12:24 pm

Programs: MileagePlus
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA

It is reporting any options?
Are you limited to ANA/NH due to the pets?

No options and I am restricted due to pets...I'll try to call I guess.For this I'd be happy to eat the 32,000 miles. The customer service difference when traveling with kids is worth that alone.
Old Dec 28, 2018, 12:38 pm

Mixed results upthread about booking the overseas segment and then calling to add a domestic (USA) segment without extra charge. Might be worth a try to add the domestic (Japan) segment. Might be worth a try.
Old Dec 28, 2018, 1:05 pm

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by abhilife2001
Will checking segment wise and then calling to book work similar to when we check for two OW itineraries and then call to get them booked as a r/t ?
Generally no, building itins from separate segments seem to be a target item in the 2016 changes.
Old Dec 28, 2018, 1:58 pm

Programs: UA 1K / *G, Marriott Bonvoy Gold; Avis PC
Originally Posted by Kacee
TG used to open up F inside T-30 (sometimes T-15) on BKK-NRT, but they've gotten much tighter the past couple years.

Separate and apart from the no availability on MEL-BKK issue (which may not be insurmountable for a website change), mixed J/F awards have become quite problematic since UA changed the award booking platform.
So the short answer is it can be done - but I have to input the flight as 2 segments (MEL-BKK and BKK-NRT), and it prices out as a mixed-saver award. However, it was inside the 48h window for viewing the seat map on TG’s website, and I didn’t want to deal with getting reassigned bad seats on MEL-BKK (which is the longer flight and the one I care more about). Keeping the 100k miles but no Rimowa kit
Old Dec 28, 2018, 9:34 pm

I have MileagePlus miles and I am looking to 'combine one-way segments' into a single one-way award ticket in economy, and I read some conflicting information online about whether this is still possible with United.

My understanding is that if I find the one-way segments on united.com (or other Star Alliance site), I should be able to call in and combine them into a single award ticket, provided they meet some basic routing criteria etc. I have done this with AAdvantage miles but I hadn't realized it is possible with United.

I will begin in Japan and end in the U.S. east coast, so it should be straightforward to find something satisfactory with 2 stops or 3 if necessary with less than 12 hours per stop.

One question I have is, how do I know how many miles it will cost before I call in? I notice that some awards (within a particular class of service) on the site are priced higher than others. For the combined itinerary, will this just be determined by the constituent segments' mileage costs, i.e. whether they are normal or higher than normal? I am looking to keep it to the standard 35k saver fare between these two regions.

Thanks
Old Dec 28, 2018, 11:19 pm

Originally Posted by dj903jd
I have MileagePlus miles and I am looking to 'combine one-way segments' into a single one-way award ticket in economy, and I read some conflicting information online about whether this is still possible with United. ...
Generally this is no longer possible on UA without increasing the mileage

... My understanding is that if I find the one-way segments on united.com (or other Star Alliance site), I should be able to call in and combine them into a single award ticket, provided they meet some basic routing criteria etc. I have done this with AAdvantage miles but I hadn't realized it is possible with United. .
Combining multiple one-way segments on a single PNR is very easy. Combining them as a single award may not be possible unless the system provides it as an option. Using multi-city will guarantee multiple awards.

... I will begin in Japan and end in the U.S. east coast, so it should be straightforward to find something satisfactory with 2 stops or 3 if necessary with less than 12 hours per stop. ...
Doubtful will be to get the system to provide that as a single award.

... how do I know how many miles it will cost before I call in? ...
This will depend on if the system allows them as a single or multiple awards. Also, depends on if they are available as saver awards or require EveryDay awards (which are dynamic and vary). You can test on online or just be "surprized "
Old Dec 30, 2018, 2:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
I was doing some US-Europe searching, and have found a very large number of flights which appear to be I1. This might be a dumb question, but is this normal? Over the course of two summer months, it seems that every single partner flight with I space is offering exactly one seat. I suppose it's possible, but this feels pretty weird. Anyone seen anything like this before? I can't think of a good way to query full inventory directly, as EF won't show counts of award inventory and UA shows codeshares, but I did use the EF award tool and it agrees with 1 seat on the flights I checked.
Old Dec 30, 2018, 2:58 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by findark
I was doing some US-Europe searching, and have found a very large number of flights which appear to be I1. This might be a dumb question, but is this normal? Over the course of two summer months, it seems that every single partner flight with I space is offering exactly one seat. I suppose it's possible, but this feels pretty weird. Anyone seen anything like this before? I can't think of a good way to query full inventory directly, as EF won't show counts of award inventory and UA shows codeshares, but I did use the EF award tool and it agrees with 1 seat on the flights I checked.
Could be related to their contract with Chase. They can say they are offering business saver awards on a higher number of flights this way.
Old Dec 30, 2018, 4:17 pm

Programs: Au: UA, Marriott, Hilton; GE
I was doing some US-Europe searching, and have found a very large number of flights which appear to be I1. .
I=0 seems to be the new normal in all my searching, at least T~330. However, if you want to go to KEF from EWR in late September, there are a number of days that I=2.
Old Dec 30, 2018, 6:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
I was specifically looking at partner awards in May/June/July (UA is mostly zero across the board except the EWR-MAN with its odd upgauge to 764, but that's normal). I see a lot of EWR/ORD-WAW and some YVR-FRA, YYZ-DUB, ORD-VIE, etc. but every single one seems in all respects to have only one award seat. I was not aware of a pattern of *A partners opening only one seat, and otherwise find it a bizarre coincidence that every seat is a singleton.

I might try poking it by booking one and seeing if it remains available. ORD-VIE isn't as nice as a West Coast nonstop, but everyone has such great things to say about the soft product on OS.
Old Dec 30, 2018, 6:24 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
I might try poking it by booking one and seeing if it remains available. ORD-VIE isn't as nice as a West Coast nonstop, but everyone has such great things to say about the soft product on OS.
Better for a daytime flight than an overnight. Thompson Vantage seat.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.