Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA award booking,change questions/fees/issues/routing/excursionist problems {Archive}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 27, 2016, 9:23 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
United's Announcement and FAQ

Kacee's Interpretation

Main Impact Since October 6
  • Fee Changes such as platinum members are subject to various award fees
  • No more free stopover - replaced with Excursionist Perk
  • Agents no longer have the ability to find routings that do not show up on united.com
  • Manually constructing trips using multi-city search results in multiple award fares being charged
  • Changing any segment MIGHT require current availability for all existing Os&Ds in the PNR (as if a brand new booking is made) - YMMV
  • Singapore Airlines segments are priced separately (add-ons)

Useful Links
This is an archive thread, the active thread is Award booking questions/ issues/ routing/ excursionist problems / help
Print Wikipost

UA award booking,change questions/fees/issues/routing/excursionist problems {Archive}

Search this Thread

Old May 26, 2018, 10:18 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by princeville
TL;DR - I can't view my ticket on Saudia.com after a change to my reservation. ...
Access to 016 tickets is not longer available via Saudia.com

Saudia.com UA e-ticket information accurate? (not longer avialable for 016 tickets?)
Old May 26, 2018, 10:43 pm

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Access to 016 tickets is not longer available via Saudia.com

Saudia.com UA e-ticket information accurate? (not longer avialable for 016 tickets?)
Thanks - missed that change. Is there any other way to verify it was re-issued properly? We had a messy situation last summer after a re-issue due to a schedule change wasn't done correctly but everything looked fine on the UA receipt and on the partner airlines' websites - showed "confirmed" and let us select seats and was blindsided at the airport. I'd really like to avoid that scene this time!
Old May 27, 2018, 3:00 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Is there any other way to verify it was re-issued properly?
Call the partner and ask them to confirm you're ticketed.
Old May 27, 2018, 8:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The ticket numbers have not changed and still show issued on April 22 (the original booking date) both on UA and when viewing the itinerary on the partner airlines's sites...I'm thinking the process didn't complete correctly, but I'm not sure what I need to ask for if/when I call reservations to fix it.
Originally Posted by Kacee
Call the partner and ask them to confirm you're ticketed.
If the ticket numbers didn’t change, that’s a pretty significant red flag for a change that involved a refund.

While calling the partner is never bad advice, in this particular instance I’d call UA first. I’d say “on XXX date I had to make a change to my reservation due to a schedule change. I’m concerned, because the ticket number doesn’t seem to have changed on my receipt, even though the change was pretty substantial and resulted in a partial mileage refund. Can you please verify that the ticket was re-issued properly, and then tell me the updated ticket number you see in your system?”

I would then call the partner airlines to verify that the ticket in their system is the same number as the one UA gave you, which almost certainly should be a different number than you have now.

I’d be a little wary of just asking the partner “is my reservation ticketed,” because they might see the old eticket number in their system and say “yes,” but when you got to the airport, you’d run into an issue because the coupon status is “Exhanged/Reissued” and you need the new ticket number.
Old May 27, 2018, 9:43 pm

Originally Posted by jsloan

While calling the partner is never bad advice, in this particular instance I’d call UA first. I’d say “on XXX date I had to make a change to my reservation due to a schedule change. I’m concerned, because the ticket number doesn’t seem to have changed on my receipt, even though the change was pretty substantial and resulted in a partial mileage refund. Can you please verify that the ticket was re-issued properly, and then tell me the updated ticket number you see in your system?”
Thank you. I'll give them a call.
Old May 28, 2018, 4:22 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by jsloan
in this particular instance I’d call UA first.
I wouldn't rely on UA. Good chance they'll tell you the ticket's fine even if it isn't. Thus the recommendation of calling the partner.
Old May 28, 2018, 1:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Kacee
I wouldn't rely on UA. Good chance they'll tell you the ticket's fine even if it isn't. Thus the recommendation of calling the partner.
I think it depends upon how you phrase the question. The reason I’d call UA first is that if there is something wrong, I’d end up having to call UA anyway, and when I’m calling a partner airline, I prefer to have as much information as possible at my fingertips. In this case, without knowing the updated ticket number, I don’t have a way to ask the question whose answer I really want: does the partner have the correct ticket number on file?

Now, it’s certainly possible that UA will punt and say “yes, everything looks fine,” but by phrasing things the way I suggested, I think it alerts the agent that the caller is savvy enough to have indentified an actual problem and that the typical “just say it’s fine to appease a nervous traveler” approach is likely to be insufficient.

Then again — I’m a 1K. If OP doesn’t have status, calling UA may be less beneficial — that’s a fair point. I think I’d still do it, but, then, I’m an optimist. . The reasoning is the same, though — only UA has access to the information I expect to need.
Old May 29, 2018, 3:55 pm

Programs: United Gold, Hilton Silver, Hertz President's Circle
I have a really important trip in June, 2019, and I'm hoping to use my miles for business-class seats for my wife and me. We are planning on going DEN-CDG, CDG-FCO (1 week later, approx.), and FCO-DEN (approx. another week later). It's too soon to book, but being the fanatic that I am, I've been doing frequent test bookings, both far out and close in. The flights price out correctly when I do test bookings, including 0 miles for the CDG-FCO flights. Right now I could find acceptable flights looking out into April, 2019 (all on partners, no UA availability). I'm sure once June becomes available for booking inventory will tighten up considerably, however.

Here's my question: It would be nice to snag the one-way tickets for each direction as soon as I see availability pop up for my dates. If I ended up booking one-way DEN-CDG, and then later FCO-DEN, would it be possible to call and add the CDG-FCO leg? Since I an only a low-level elite, I don't have the luxury of booking and changing without fairly significant fees, so just booking as a placeholder wouldn't really work for me. Has anyone done this in the past? Any advice? Thanks.
Old May 30, 2018, 2:17 pm

Programs: UA 1k, AS 75k, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Explorist
Looking to book a one-way award ticked from somewhere in Australia to somewhere in South Asia or Japan for April 2019. Any suggestions on what routes are likely to have the best availability? Is it likely that Thai awards will be coming back post March 30th?
Old May 30, 2018, 6:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by BBSHOPSINGER
I have a really important trip in June, 2019, and I'm hoping to use my miles for business-class seats for my wife and me. We are planning on going DEN-CDG, CDG-FCO (1 week later, approx.), and FCO-DEN (approx. another week later). It's too soon to book, but being the fanatic that I am, I've been doing frequent test bookings, both far out and close in. The flights price out correctly when I do test bookings, including 0 miles for the CDG-FCO flights. Right now I could find acceptable flights looking out into April, 2019 (all on partners, no UA availability). I'm sure once June becomes available for booking inventory will tighten up considerably, however.

Here's my question: It would be nice to snag the one-way tickets for each direction as soon as I see availability pop up for my dates. If I ended up booking one-way DEN-CDG, and then later FCO-DEN, would it be possible to call and add the CDG-FCO leg? Since I an only a low-level elite, I don't have the luxury of booking and changing without fairly significant fees, so just booking as a placeholder wouldn't really work for me. Has anyone done this in the past? Any advice? Thanks.
you can only get the intra-EU leg without additional mileage if you book both directions on the same reservation - can’t do it if you book these as one ways. Note booning as one ways have other disadvantages as well - mainly if you need to make changes or cancel, you’ll get dinged for two fees per person. But the one way does have the advantage of being able to secure flights for each direction the day they become available - if space is released.

if you want to do that (one ways) you can and just book CDG-FCO separately. You can probably book that pretty cheap on an EU LCC, or probably even on AF, for that matter. There’s also the option of booking the train. Not sure how long that is, but it’s a different and nicer travel experience, andI bet you can do it all the way on high speed.
Old May 30, 2018, 9:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by emcampbe
if you want to do that (one ways) you can and just book CDG-FCO separately. You can probably book that pretty cheap on an EU LCC, or probably even on AF, for that matter. There’s also the option of booking the train. Not sure how long that is, but it’s a different and nicer travel experience, andI bet you can do it all the way on high speed.
Or, if you'd prefer both to fly and to use UA miles, you could book BRU-FCO in Y for 8K miles. (CDG-FCO would be more unless there's some *A carrier that flies it nonstop). European business class is just coach with a blocked middle seat. Personally, I think you've hit on the right strategy -- if you see award space that fits your needs, book it as it becomes available, even if that means multiple one-ways.

The Excursionist Perk is great for many things, but intra-European J isn't one of them.
Old May 31, 2018, 2:47 pm

UA domestic connections

If I search for availability in economy from ORD to SYD the UA engine gives me availability nearly every day one stop through LAX or IAH.

However if I search in J, the engine only gives me 2 stop options, with both domestic legs in economy! This is the case nearly every day.

Im happy to do the first leg in economy but don’t want to fly via Omaha or likewise. Why does the J award always have such terrible connections??
Old May 31, 2018, 3:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
UA doesn't want to make domestic premium cabins available on awards, married or otherwise.
Old May 31, 2018, 3:17 pm

But I merely want the domestic connection to be in economy. I want it to be non-stop rather than one-stop just like the 40k award

Ie it offers me two legs in economy but won’t match the economy award. It’s a worse connection. And still in economy

Last edited by WineCountryUA; May 31, 2018 at 4:42 pm Reason: merging consecutive posts by same member
Old May 31, 2018, 3:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
Sorry, misread.

This is the usual married/divorced inventory BS to make longhaul premium awards less desirable. Widespread practice by UA.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.