Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA award booking, change questions / issues / routing / excursionist problems / help

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 19, 2017, 10:23 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Main Impact
  • No more free stopover - replaced with Excursionist Perk
  • Agents no longer have the ability to find routings or build itineraries that do not show up on united.com
  • Manually constructing trips using multi-city search results in multiple award fares being charged
  • Changing any segment basically requires current availability for all existing Os&Ds in the PNR (as if a brand new booking is made)
  • Singapore Airlines segments are priced separately (add-ons)

Useful Links
EveryDay Awards - UA MP award changes 1 Nov 2017 (Everyday award/dynamic price, No RTW, No Show fee,..)
principle change - Standard awards being replaced by "EveryDay Award" with variable pricing

What is the Excursionist Perk?
The Excursionist Perk is a free one-way award within select multi-city itineraries. Members who book an itinerary with three or more one-way awards will be eligible to receive one of those one-way awards for free, if it meets all of these conditions:
The Excursionist Perk cannot be in the MileagePlus defined region where your travel originates. (For example, if your journey begins in North America, you will only receive the Excursionist Perk if travel is within a region outside of North America.)
  • Travel must end in the same MileagePlus defined region where travel originates.
  • The origin and destination of the Excursionist Perk is within a single MileagePlus defined region.
  • The cabin of service and award type of the free one-way award is the same or lower than the one-way award preceding it.
  • If two or more one-way awards qualify for this benefit, only the first occurrence will be free.

Previous thread -- UA award booking,change questions/fees/issues/routing/excursionist problems {Archive}

Print Wikipost

UA award booking, change questions / issues / routing / excursionist problems / help

Search this Thread

Old Oct 28, 2023, 9:54 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by Mike Jacoubowsky
.... You do NOT want to get hit with this bug. Worst flu ever for me, and everyone else in the family. .....
May want to check if it is not RSV, Major difference body aches / headaches vs wheezing / breathing issues. I had RSV in early September after an international trip.
But best to check with a medical professional as FT is not the best place for medical advice.
Mike Jacoubowsky likes this.
Old Oct 28, 2023, 10:39 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
May want to check if it is not RSV
Or COVID.
Old Oct 28, 2023, 10:51 am

Programs: 1K 2010, 1P in 2011, Plat for 2012,13,14,15 & 2016. Gold in 17 & 18, Plat since
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
May want to check if it is not RSV, Major difference body aches / headaches vs wheezing / breathing issues. I had RSV in early September after an international trip.
But best to check with a medical professional as FT is not the best place for medical advice.
Originally Posted by mahasamatman
Or COVID.
Checked, several times, for Covid. Negative. RSV is a possibility.
Old Oct 29, 2023, 12:38 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, UA2MM, QF Platinum, VA Platinum., Volare Executive Club
Originally Posted by Namaste1
Yes, I have received the refunds. The refund request was done online and completed within a week. I received the points back immediately when I cancelled the booking so it didn't occur to me to check whether the taxes were refunded until I read your original post, so thank you for that!
Well, United did come good in the end. Received my refund today.

Now to see if I can check in tomorrow for the cancelled flights, which are still showing as confirmed. I don't have a lot of hope in this being successful, but I'm interested to see what happens. I have another flight booked with a OneWorld airline from the same airport a couple of hours later, so not a big issue either way.
Old Oct 29, 2023, 2:09 am
Moderator: Mileage Run, InterContinental Hotels

Booked MUC-HND months ago with MUC-LHR in LH Coach and LHR-HND in NH First. 126.5k miles. Now, Business opened up for the LH MUC-LHR segment. I assumed it'd be possible to change to Business on that segment, but the UA Twitter team tells me, additional miles would be required. I don't care for LH eurobiz enough to make a phone call and argue (indeed prefer an exit row seat), but would appreciate if any of the experts could satisfy my curiosity whether the Twitter agent is right.
Old Oct 29, 2023, 11:12 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by jpdx
I assumed it'd be possible to change to Business on that segment, but the UA Twitter team tells me, additional miles would be required.
Partner awards do not allow you to "waitlist" for the correct cabin, so you would have to rebook at the current level.
jpdx likes this.
Old Oct 29, 2023, 1:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Booked MUC-HND months ago with MUC-LHR in LH Coach and LHR-HND in NH First. 126.5k miles. Now, Business opened up for the LH MUC-LHR segment. I assumed it'd be possible to change to Business on that segment, but the UA Twitter team tells me, additional miles would be required. I don't care for LH eurobiz enough to make a phone call and argue (indeed prefer an exit row seat), but would appreciate if any of the experts could satisfy my curiosity whether the Twitter agent is right.
Under no circumstances would I ask UA to touch that reservation.

In general, you can no longer do point-by-point award searches with United without the number of miles due being calculated on a point-by-point basis also. If MUC-HND in I/O is showing when searched as a single award, you should be able to book it at the listed price. If not, I’d expect it to be calculated as MUC-LHR I plus LHR-HND O.

However, even if you were willing to pay the extra miles, it’s not worth the risk. Changing an award ticket when one or more partner legs do not have current inventory is risky. There is a real possibility that you might end up losing the F seat from LHR-HND. In fact, it happens often enough that many passengers are told ‘no’ when they ask to make a change in this situation, because the newer UA tools simply won’t process it without current partner inventory available.
SPN Lifer, Happy and jpdx like this.
Old Oct 29, 2023, 2:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
congrats on getting LHR-HND in First !!! That's a very rare score Slum it LH Y to LHR and enjoy the Krug all the way to TYO

Adjusting partner awards hasn't been possible in years. If still available and if it still shows 126.5k on united.com ... no harm in re-booking. Else, leave it alone!
jsloan, SPN Lifer, Happy and 1 others like this.
Old Oct 31, 2023, 3:16 am
Formerly richh1833

Programs: QF P1, BA GGL, AS GMVP
I'm currently considering booking BNE-LHR via TPE but BNE-TPE is in Y and TPE-LHR has J availability. Should I book the entire trip first or TPE-LHR segment first?

Based on the 3 posts above, it sounds like it's risky to book and then make a change. Any alternative strategies or do I just accept BNE-TPE in Y?
Old Oct 31, 2023, 3:36 am

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by delpiero223
I have following eTicket with all lfights op. by United:
Segment 1: SLC-LAX in Oct. 23
Segment 2: KSA-PNI in Nov. 23
Segment 3: LAS-LAX in Mar 24

Today, I have same-day changed the first one to SLC-SFO-LAX. However, the eTicket confirmation via email only shows 3 segments now: SLC-SFO, SFO-LAX and LAS-LAX.

KSA-PNI does still show when accessing the reservation at united.com. But when resending the eTicket, it's missing there. Segment status via the unofficial PNR viewer is HK1 for all flights, so it should be fine.

Is that a common occurrence?
To follow up on this: Looks like the UA agents were right and it was just an issue with the receipt tool.

Had no problems checking in and taking the flight despite the segment missing on the receipt.
jsloan, SPN Lifer and cfischer like this.

Last edited by delpiero223; Oct 31, 2023 at 4:02 am
Old Oct 31, 2023, 8:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by TheSYDTraveller
I'm currently considering booking BNE-LHR via TPE but BNE-TPE is in Y and TPE-LHR has J availability. Should I book the entire trip first or TPE-LHR segment first?

Based on the 3 posts above, it sounds like it's risky to book and then make a change. Any alternative strategies or do I just accept BNE-TPE in Y?
You can book separate tickets, but if you do so, you'll be charged extra miles. You are correct that if BNE-TPE opens in J but TPE-LHR no longer has availability, you may encounter problems making that change -- or even getting it to price the way you'd expect.
Old Oct 31, 2023, 9:13 am

Excursionist perk question -- was playing around with a DTW > MNL > ROR > DTW itinerary in I. DTW > MNL was 170k, MNL > ROR was 60k, ROR > DTW was 200k. I was looking for 2 and when I got to checkout screen it said I needed 860k, meaning the MNL > ROR segment didn't fall off. Is this not a valid excursionist itinerary? MNL and ROR are in the same region as far as I can tell on the excursionist maps.
Old Oct 31, 2023, 12:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by rariya
MNL and ROR are in the same region as far as I can tell on the excursionist maps.
They are not in the same region. The Philippines are in the South Asia region. Palau is in Oceania.

https://www.united.com/en/US/region-list
SPN Lifer and rariya like this.
Old Oct 31, 2023, 12:25 pm

Originally Posted by jsloan
They are not in the same region. The Philippines are in the South Asia region. Palau is in Oceania.

https://www.united.com/en/US/region-list
Ah, thank you. I was looking at the maps with the color blocking and couldn't see a difference. Appreciate it.
jsloan likes this.
Old Nov 1, 2023, 4:32 am

Programs: UA 1k
Was looking for some availability NYC - AMS for the MIL next year. Noticed I space available on JFK-MUC as part of a connecting itinerary, however searching for it directly as NYC/JFK-MUC the inventory did not appear. Not sure if a new bug, LH driven feature or UA 'enhancement'. Screenshots below in spoiler tag.
Spoiler

Last edited by oblisk; Nov 1, 2023 at 4:38 am Reason: clarification

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.