Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA award booking,change questions/fees/issues/routing/excursionist problems {Archive}

Old Dec 27, 2016, 9:23 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
United's Announcement and FAQ

Kacee's Interpretation

Main Impact Since October 6
  • Fee Changes such as platinum members are subject to various award fees
  • No more free stopover - replaced with Excursionist Perk
  • Agents no longer have the ability to find routings that do not show up on united.com
  • Manually constructing trips using multi-city search results in multiple award fares being charged
  • Changing any segment MIGHT require current availability for all existing Os&Ds in the PNR (as if a brand new booking is made) - YMMV
  • Singapore Airlines segments are priced separately (add-ons)

Useful Links
This is an archive thread, the active thread is Award booking questions/ issues/ routing/ excursionist problems / help
Print Wikipost

UA award booking,change questions/fees/issues/routing/excursionist problems {Archive}

Old Mar 4, 2018, 9:55 pm

Programs: AS G75K, UA Silver
It’s almost certainly a routing issue. The excursionist segments have more strict routing rules than normal. In a dummy search, all of the IKA-CAI flights route through Europe which isn’t allowed. However replacing that segment with DXB-CAI on an MS direct flight does work.
Did Any of your affected routings for the IKA-CAI segment stay within that region and still price incorrectly?
Old Mar 4, 2018, 11:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by pushmyredbutton
It’s almost certainly a routing issue. The excursionist segments have more strict routing rules than normal. In a dummy search, all of the IKA-CAI flights route through Europe which isn’t allowed. However replacing that segment with DXB-CAI on an MS direct flight does work.
Did Any of your affected routings for the IKA-CAI segment stay within that region and still price incorrectly?
I don't think it's possible to route IKA-CAI without transiting "Europe," because Turkey has been defined as Europe by UA, and Egyptair doesn't fly to IKA. I agree that the system is probably charging for IKA-CAI because of the Europe transit, even though the Excursionist Perk rules don't say anything about not being able to transit Europe, and the award prices as intra-Middle East if you try to book it on its own. (The specific quote, in fact, is "The origin and destination of the Excursionist Perk is within a single MileagePlus defined region." It doesn't say anything about intermediate points).

I'd call and ask for it, and if they try to charge you the extra miles, ask them to price it manually since, by the rules, it seems that it should be eligible for the Excursionist Perk.
Old Mar 5, 2018, 12:34 am

Programs: Au: UA, Marriott, Hilton; GE
Originally Posted by InterPlace55
It's last seat available on economy at the Everyday Award price point for all Premier members with UA operated flights.
So, not last seat for J or F?

Originally Posted by findark
You have the wrong booking code - if you want last-seat availability you're looking for FN space, not O, and it will be expensive.

No, one waitlisted alternative per confirmed segment(s).
Thanks. You are right about the booking code. I used it in error for my First abbreviation.

I knew it was 2 waitlists per PNR, but this clarifies...

Originally Posted by jsloan
I don't know what the CSR was looking at. When I search for HNL-NRT in that timeframe, I see F0 J9 on every flight. This is almost certainly a result of UA removing the ability to purchase first-class tickets as they anticipate retrofitting the remaining fleet to remove the first-class cabin. Now, I'm not saying the retrofit will be complete by then, or that you'll get an updated plane -- I think this is just UA keeping their options open.
I think you are correct. Too bad, I miss those GF seats, and flying in J seats, no matter how nice, will never be the same.
Old Mar 5, 2018, 12:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by 747FC
So, not last seat for J or F?
I think you are correct. Too bad, I miss those GF seats, and flying in J seats, no matter how nice, will never be the same.
Premier members should have last-seat availability for F or J awards using FN or JN, respectively. The problem in this case is that F isn't being sold, so F=FN=0.
Old Mar 5, 2018, 7:42 am

Programs: UA MileagePlus Premier Platinum, Hilton Honors Gold, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by jsloan
Premier members should have last-seat availability for F or J awards using FN or JN, respectively. The problem in this case is that F isn't being sold, so F=FN=0.
I read that part of the Premier Benefits wrong then. Re-read the chart and Plats and 1K's have better availability for F and J saver awards (I've seen none of this so far, but that's probably United being super stingy with these awards as well)
Old Mar 5, 2018, 8:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by InterPlace55
I read that part of the Premier Benefits wrong then. Re-read the chart and Plats and 1K's have better availability for F and J saver awards (I've seen none of this so far, but that's probably United being super stingy with these awards as well)
J only; Plat/1K/GS can book into IN, whereas everyone else books into I. I is usually equal to IN, but occasionally there's extra inventory in IN. For F, everyone books into O, regardless of status. ON is an upgrade class, not an award class.
Old Mar 5, 2018, 12:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Right, to summarize required inventory:

Code:
   Status           Economy        Business     First (3-cabin)
                saver/standard  saver/standard  saver/standard
================================================================

Member          X / HN          I / ZN          O / FN
CC/Silver/Gold     XN / YN          I / JN          O / FN
   Plat/1K         XN / YN         IN / JN          O / FN
Global Services     T / YN          R / JN          O / FN
Old Mar 5, 2018, 9:12 pm

Programs: UA 1K/MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Something, IHG Gold, Hertz PC, Avis PC
A warning for anyone trying to waitlist an award flight.

In the past few weeks I've had two cases where waitlists didn't clear, despite inventory being available.

First case was a UA->UA flight which I was waitlisted on the direct flight. A few days after waitlisting I checked and there was space. Waited until the next morning and the waitlist still hadn't cleared so I called and they were confused why it hadn't cleared and made the change.

Second case was CA->UA, again waitlisted on the direct UA flight. Again didn't clear despite the direct flight being IN4. Called in and the agent was again confused, and claimed she'd need to call the helpdesk to get it sorted (possibly because it would have required a reprice from partner to UA-only rates?). In the end I just re-booked the direct flight and had we cancel the original ones.
Old Mar 6, 2018, 12:46 am

Originally Posted by docbert

In the past few weeks I've had two cases where waitlists didn't clear, despite inventory being available.

First case was a UA->UA flight which I was waitlisted on the direct flight. A few days after waitlisting I checked and there was space. Waited until the next morning and the waitlist still hadn't cleared so I called and they were confused why it hadn't cleared and made the change.

Second case was CA->UA, again waitlisted on the direct UA flight. Again didn't clear despite the direct flight being IN4. Called in and the agent was again confused, and claimed she'd need to call the helpdesk to get it sorted (possibly because it would have required a reprice from partner to UA-only rates?). In the end I just re-booked the direct flight and had we cancel the original ones.
I’ve noticed that too, and I set ExpertFlyer alerts to notify me of award inventory opening.
Old Mar 6, 2018, 3:58 am
formerly 1984SW

Programs: UA
Thumbs up Nice & concise

Originally Posted by findark
Right, to summarize required inventory:
Code:
Status Economy Business First (3-cabin)
saver/standard saver/standard saver/standard
================================================================

Member X / HN I / ZN O / FN
CC/Silver/Gold XN / YN I / JN O / FN
Plat/1K XN / YN IN / JN O / FN
Global Services T / YN R / JN O / FN
Thanks for that concise chart. ^ I've saved it offline for handy access.
Old Mar 6, 2018, 4:01 am
formerly 1984SW

Originally Posted by docbert

Originally Posted by 747FC

I’ve noticed that too, and I set ExpertFlyer alerts to notify me of award inventory opening.
ExpertFlyer doesn't let you save alerts for UA award availability, does it? If it does, I'm all ears. I just started using EF, so still learning the ropes.
Old Mar 6, 2018, 7:33 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by 1984SW
ExpertFlyer doesn't let you save alerts for UA award availability, does it?
Yes. It pulls the data from one of the other *A programs (which means you only get X, I, O, no XN or IN).

You cannot get UA upgrade inventory (R, PN) data from EF.
Old Mar 6, 2018, 11:40 am

Originally Posted by 1984SW
ExpertFlyer doesn't let you save alerts for UA award availability, does it? If it does, I'm all ears. I just started using EF, so still learning the ropes.
Just make your otiginal reservation with the waitlist for for UA noted. Then set an EF alert for I or O inventory. You will first be likely informedt by EF, and then you call UA to complete the transaction.
Old Mar 6, 2018, 4:45 pm
formerly 1984SW

Ahhh, good to know. I just finally put together a trip to the US, and sure could have used even I & O availability alerts. Great to know for next time, though!
Old Mar 9, 2018, 4:39 pm
Formerly known as cagalindo

Programs: Citi AA/HH/TYP Amex SPG/HH & Chase SP/PC
--
--
--
  • One-way search shows a Saver Award is available
  • When I make it RT or Multi-city the Saver Award for the first leg is no longer available
  • Any ideas?
--
--

---
---

Roundtrip and it's gone...
---
---

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Mar 9, 2018 at 4:54 pm Reason: Moved to exisiting thread

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.