Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA award booking, change questions / issues / routing / excursionist problems / help

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 19, 2017, 10:23 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Main Impact
  • No more free stopover - replaced with Excursionist Perk
  • Agents no longer have the ability to find routings or build itineraries that do not show up on united.com
  • Manually constructing trips using multi-city search results in multiple award fares being charged
  • Changing any segment basically requires current availability for all existing Os&Ds in the PNR (as if a brand new booking is made)
  • Singapore Airlines segments are priced separately (add-ons)

Useful Links
EveryDay Awards - UA MP award changes 1 Nov 2017 (Everyday award/dynamic price, No RTW, No Show fee,..)
principle change - Standard awards being replaced by "EveryDay Award" with variable pricing

What is the Excursionist Perk?
The Excursionist Perk is a free one-way award within select multi-city itineraries. Members who book an itinerary with three or more one-way awards will be eligible to receive one of those one-way awards for free, if it meets all of these conditions:
The Excursionist Perk cannot be in the MileagePlus defined region where your travel originates. (For example, if your journey begins in North America, you will only receive the Excursionist Perk if travel is within a region outside of North America.)
  • Travel must end in the same MileagePlus defined region where travel originates.
  • The origin and destination of the Excursionist Perk is within a single MileagePlus defined region.
  • The cabin of service and award type of the free one-way award is the same or lower than the one-way award preceding it.
  • If two or more one-way awards qualify for this benefit, only the first occurrence will be free.

Previous thread -- UA award booking,change questions/fees/issues/routing/excursionist problems {Archive}

Print Wikipost

UA award booking, change questions / issues / routing / excursionist problems / help

Search this Thread

Old Feb 18, 2023, 6:38 am

Programs: UA LT 1K, 3 MM; Marriott Titanium; IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by jsloan
They’re not supposed to, no. You could always ask, but they’re not supposed to piece together awards without charging the point-by-point pricing though.

If it’s a roundtrip, you might get TPE-China for free in one direction as an Excursionist Perk, however.
The problem is that UA restricts the partner award flights to China so that one either book two separate one-way tickets with a stop (at TPE, for example) or pay UA’s US-PVG inflated fares to get to China or return to US. Before the pandemic, you can book any Chinese city from US via ICN, NRT, HND, TPE. For example, SEA-ICN on OZ and connected to HGH on either OZ or CA. Now, you can book HGH-ICN on either OZ or CA for less than 9K miles (I flew this last month), but you cannot combine it with an ICN-US flight on a single ticket.

What I asked is whether or not UA’s internal award-booking system (used by agents) has the same restriction.
Old Feb 18, 2023, 8:42 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by Kmxu
.... What I asked is whether or not UA’s internal award-booking system (used by agents) has the same restriction.
We have repeatedly told, there is no difference between what we see or what the agents see.
jsloan likes this.
Old Feb 18, 2023, 9:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Now, you can book HGH-ICN on either OZ or CA for less than 9K miles (I flew this last month), but you cannot combine it with an ICN-US flight on a single ticket.

What I asked is whether or not UA’s internal award-booking system (used by agents) has the same restriction.
Wow, that’s really messed up. (For the board — I tried it and I’m seeing the same thing Kmxu is: you can book SFO-TPE and TPE-PVG separately, but if you try to do multi-city search, it will suppress the results entirely).

I don’t think anyone will have a definitive answer unless they’ve tried calling. I don’t know where this block is in their system; it’s clearly something that they’ve added in explicitly, and it’s probably connected to the problems that agents are having booking XN at the 35K rate.

That said, the correct price for SFO-ICN-PVG, searched separately, is the cost of SFO-ICN plus the cost of ICN-PVG, with the exception of the Excursionist Perk option I mentioned,. The primary advantage to getting this on a single ticket is that you’d be protected against IRROPS. It would not be likely to cost fewer miles. So, whether the agents can do it or not — up in the air. Whether the agents can give you a better price than you’d get on your own, likely not.

Note that this is the one general case where agents have been able to see better availability than the website: multi-city trips. When booking multi-city — excepting, for the moment, this weird China block — agents have been able to see the same inventory that guests see if they were to book one-way on each leg. So, if you’re booking SFO-BKK // CNX-CGK // DPS-SFO, agents would see the inventory for SFO-BKK as if you searched that individually, then CNX-CGK as if you searched that individually, etc. The multi-city search will try to find entire combinations for all three trips at once and will therefore can up missing some. That’s what I’m hoping will happen here — the agent would see the SFO-ICN and ICN-PVG space individually even though the website won’t when you do a multi-city search. It’s just a question of where this China block in the system is.

Hope this helps.
SPN Lifer and Kmxu like this.
Old Feb 18, 2023, 9:35 am

I already book an business award ticket using United mileage ( 99K/ person for one way ticket) a few months ago, from BKK to SFO. Now, I want to change my departure day. However, I keep checking for a few weeks now and a one way business award ticket is in the range of 200K to 650K ( lowest business ) per ticket. I am not sure why there is a big jump in mileage required now .

Is there any chances the business saver award is available soon . I search all the way to January 2024, but it is the same result ( the cost of an award business ticket is between 200K - 650K per ticket) . Can I still able to change departure date without paying extra mileage .

if someone know well about booking an award ticket using United mileage, please advise and thank you.
Old Feb 18, 2023, 9:46 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by vnfilm1
Is there any chances the business saver award is available soon .
A chance? Yes. Likely? No.
Old Feb 18, 2023, 4:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Is there any chances the business saver award is available soon . I search all the way to January 2024, but it is the same result ( the cost of an award business ticket is between 200K - 650K per ticket) . Can I still able to change departure date without paying extra mileage .
You cannot change the travel date without paying the current price for the ticket. As for whether or not some saver / partner tickets will pop up — it’s possible, but there are no guarantees… and the ones that pop up may be unattractive (e.g., airport change in Tokyo, or an economy segment from Bangkok to Tokyo, etc.).
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Feb 19, 2023, 5:31 am

I booked a united award trip and now the mileage redemption rate is lower (35K to 26K). What is the easiest way to get these mileage adjustment? Cancel and rebook?
Old Feb 19, 2023, 5:35 am

Originally Posted by zxrst
I booked a united award trip and now the mileage redemption rate is lower (35K to 26K). What is the easiest way to get these mileage adjustment? Cancel and rebook?
Rebook and then cancel the existing reservation, to be on the safer side, unless you need those miles.
jsloan likes this.
Old Feb 19, 2023, 10:10 am

Wow, that’s really messed up. (For the board — I tried it and I’m seeing the same thing Kmxu is: you can book SFO-TPE and TPE-PVG separately, but if you try to do multi-city search, it will suppress the results entirely).

I don’t think anyone will have a definitive answer unless they’ve tried calling. I don’t know where this block is in their system; it’s clearly something that they’ve added in explicitly, and it’s probably connected to the problems that agents are having booking XN at the 35K rate.

That said, the correct price for SFO-ICN-PVG, searched separately, is the cost of SFO-ICN plus the cost of ICN-PVG, with the exception of the Excursionist Perk option I mentioned,. The primary advantage to getting this on a single ticket is that you’d be protected against IRROPS. It would not be likely to cost fewer miles. So, whether the agents can do it or not — up in the air. Whether the agents can give you a better price than you’d get on your own, likely not.

Note that this is the one general case where agents have been able to see better availability than the website: multi-city trips. When booking multi-city — excepting, for the moment, this weird China block — agents have been able to see the same inventory that guests see if they were to book one-way on each leg. So, if you’re booking SFO-BKK // CNX-CGK // DPS-SFO, agents would see the inventory for SFO-BKK as if you searched that individually, then CNX-CGK as if you searched that individually, etc. The multi-city search will try to find entire combinations for all three trips at once and will therefore can up missing some. That’s what I’m hoping will happen here — the agent would see the SFO-ICN and ICN-PVG space individually even though the website won’t when you do a multi-city search. It’s just a question of where this China block in the system is.

Hope this helps.
I called 1K line for CLT-MUC-TPE-PVG on saver business this morning. The agent tried two different systems and could not piece these flights together. She could not explain why this happened. 😂😂
Old Feb 19, 2023, 10:41 am

You cannot change the travel date without paying the current price for the ticket. As for whether or not some saver / partner tickets will pop up — it’s possible, but there are no guarantees… and the ones that pop up may be unattractive (e.g., airport change in Tokyo, or an economy segment from Bangkok to Tokyo, etc.).
Thanks. Another question, I do not plan to cancel , just want to make some adjudment.

My current itinerary is BKK ==> HKG ==> TPE ==> SFO ( 2 connections at HKG and TPE) . Segment BKK ==> HKG ( Thai Airway) and HKG ==> TPE ==> SFO ( EVA), if I like to make changes so that I have only 1 connection ( BKK ==> TPE ==> SFO) and if the flight is available, will it possible to do without paying more united mileage. And I will fly with Thai airways from BKK ==> TPE . With the increase mileage now, the whole itinerary cost ~ 200K for one way ticket/ person.
Old Feb 19, 2023, 10:43 am

Programs: Statusless and proud
Thanks. Another question, I do not plan to cancel , just want to make some adjudment. My current itinerary is BKK ==> HKG ==> TPE ==> SFO ( 2 connections at HKG and TPE) . Segment BKK ==> HKG ( Thai Airway) and HKG ==> TPE ==> SFO ( EVA), if I like to make changes so that I have only 1 connection ( BKK ==> TPE ==> SFO) and if the flight is available, will it possible to do without paying more united mileage. With the increase mileage now, the whole itinerary cost ~ 200K for one way ticket/ person.
It will be possible to change it with no additional mileage assuming that itinerary pops up with the same price as you've already paid, otherwise you will pay the difference.
jsloan likes this.
Old Feb 19, 2023, 8:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I called 1K line for CLT-MUC-TPE-PVG on saver business this morning. The agent tried two different systems and could not piece these flights together. She could not explain why this happened. 😂😂
Unfortunately, that likely means that whatever block UA put in place to prevent bookings to China is in the system at a very fundamental level. This probably explains the lack of XN awards on SFO-PVG, even when XN inventory exists, as well as the problems that agents have had booking those when somebody calls.

Thanks. Another question, I do not plan to cancel , just want to make some adjudment.

My current itinerary is BKK ==> HKG ==> TPE ==> SFO ( 2 connections at HKG and TPE) . Segment BKK ==> HKG ( Thai Airway) and HKG ==> TPE ==> SFO ( EVA), if I like to make changes so that I have only 1 connection ( BKK ==> TPE ==> SFO) and if the flight is available, will it possible to do without paying more united mileage. And I will fly with Thai airways from BKK ==> TPE . With the increase mileage now, the whole itinerary cost ~ 200K for one way ticket/ person.
If you’re able to find the specific combination you’re asking about — HKG / TPE / SFO on Thai Airways and EVA — it will probably cost about 99K in business class, so you’re likely to get a refund. However, there’s no guarantee that there will ever be seats available.

If TPE/SFO is operated by UA, the price could be lower than the EVA flight, but it’s more likely to be quite a bit higher. UA awards are available to MileagePlus members on all flights — but often for a large sum of miles. Partner awards are often fewer miles, but are much less likely to be available.

If you’re trying to come back the first weekend of January or something, pray for a recession. That’s become one of the heaviest TPAC travel times on the calendar. If you have more flexibility, and especially if you’re traveling a little later in the year, your chances are better — just check periodically to see what’s available.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Feb 22, 2023, 8:44 pm

Programs: UA Silver
I booked the following itinerary as an award ticket on UA:

SFO - LHR - DUB (LHR - DUB is Aer Lingus)
DUB - MUC (Lufthansa)
MUC - SFO

The Aer Lingus flight was subsequently changed to make the connection in LHR very tight, but not illegal (1 hr). I am thinking of trying to change the Aer Lingus flight, and have two questions related to whether that change would require re-ticketing the whole itinerary.

1) The DUB - MUC leg is no longer available for award bookings. Will that prevent me from changing the Aer Lingus leg?
2) If not, will changing the Aer Lingus flight involve repricing the whole itinerary? I think booking it now would be significantly more expensive than when I made it originally.

Thanks!
Old Feb 22, 2023, 9:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ProfessorChaos
I booked the following itinerary as an award ticket on UA:

SFO - LHR - DUB (LHR - DUB is Aer Lingus)
DUB - MUC (Lufthansa)
MUC - SFO

The Aer Lingus flight was subsequently changed to make the connection in LHR very tight, but not illegal (1 hr). I am thinking of trying to change the Aer Lingus flight, and have two questions related to whether that change would require re-ticketing the whole itinerary.

1) The DUB - MUC leg is no longer available for award bookings. Will that prevent me from changing the Aer Lingus leg?
2) If not, will changing the Aer Lingus flight involve repricing the whole itinerary? I think booking it now would be significantly more expensive than when I made it originally.

Thanks!
1) Possibly, although UA should be more willing to give it a chance in this situation. If you are able to make a change, make sure to check the ticket number on LH's site afterwards and make sure it's the correct (new) value.
2) The schedule change should allow you to make a sensible change without repricing.
Old Feb 23, 2023, 2:26 am

Is there an easy way to guess the possibility of an award flight for BOM-JFK/EWR using United miles but flying on LX/LH with a stop in Europe over the next few days. I've been tracking this and flights were available daily. Would a good barometer to check if United is selling revenue tickets for these? Thanks

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.