Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA award booking,change questions/fees/issues/routing/excursionist problems {Archive}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 27, 2016, 9:23 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
United's Announcement and FAQ

Kacee's Interpretation

Main Impact Since October 6
  • Fee Changes such as platinum members are subject to various award fees
  • No more free stopover - replaced with Excursionist Perk
  • Agents no longer have the ability to find routings that do not show up on united.com
  • Manually constructing trips using multi-city search results in multiple award fares being charged
  • Changing any segment MIGHT require current availability for all existing Os&Ds in the PNR (as if a brand new booking is made) - YMMV
  • Singapore Airlines segments are priced separately (add-ons)

Useful Links
This is an archive thread, the active thread is Award booking questions/ issues/ routing/ excursionist problems / help
Print Wikipost

UA award booking,change questions/fees/issues/routing/excursionist problems {Archive}

Search this Thread

Old Aug 8, 2019, 10:11 am

Originally Posted by jsloan
And the amount of time prior to departure.

If departure is at least 61 days away, fees range from $0 (1K or Platinum) to $75 (General member). If departure is within 60 days, fees range from $0 (1K) to $125 (General member).

OP stated four weeks prior to departure, so the second fee schedule applies.

The fee is per ticket.
No status on UA, just general member. Is it better to try changing online, or do I need to call them?
Old Aug 8, 2019, 10:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by BCasc
No status on UA, just general member. Is it better to try changing online, or do I need to call them?
I would call. Online changes have sometimes led to issues in the past. An agent can babysit the re-ticketing process in a way that the online system doesn't.
Old Aug 8, 2019, 12:53 pm

Programs: Statusless and proud
Originally Posted by Zorg
JayhawkCO, jsloan, thank you!

There is no non-stop flights US > CA1 or CA2 > US, but it's just a transfer point (I don't need to leave the airport).

On United.com, the search is abysmal... When it doesn't hang on "Loading award flight results..." it returns 180,000 miles + $69 (economy, for my dates +/- 1 day).
(I also see some 42.5K miles flights but at other dates that won't work for me).
That's unfortunate because the NYC <> IST for 2*30k is pretty good.
Are you searching one way? Or round trip? From my recent experience, even if the various legs "don't play nice together", if you could book each leg at saver level independently, the agent can make the reservation work. Otherwise, the only other way to not spend for the equivalent of four tickets is to change your original gateway. Although I'm flying from Denver, and there happens to be DEN-EWR saver availability to get me to New York, I couldn't get DEN-WDH to show the option of flights that I wanted, but NYC-WDH worked just fine. I'll just eat it and pay for positioning flights while telling myself "at least UA doesn't charge fuel surcharges."

Chris
Old Aug 8, 2019, 5:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by JayhawkCO
Are you searching one way? Or round trip? From my recent experience, even if the various legs "don't play nice together", if you could book each leg at saver level independently, the agent can make the reservation work.
Agreed, with the rather substantial caveat that this only works if you're talking about entire segments of the trip: searching one-way for US->CA1 or CA2->US, in this case. Per policy, they will no longer let you stitch connecting flights together -- so even if there is saver space from DEN to EWR and from EWR to CDG, if it doesn't appear on a search from DEN to CDG search, it's not available.
Old Aug 9, 2019, 5:40 am

I would call. Online changes have sometimes led to issues in the past. An agent can babysit the re-ticketing process in a way that the online system doesn't.
Wow! That was so painless! And worth the $125pp to be able to fly back to our home city instead of stopping in JFK. Thank you everyone!!!
Old Aug 9, 2019, 6:05 am

I am searching for J tickets flying in Oct from XXX-YYY. When I search for 1 person it says 3 tickets are available. However, when I search for 2 persons it states no tickets available. Is this a UA glitch?
Old Aug 9, 2019, 9:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by nas6034
I am searching for J tickets flying in Oct from XXX-YYY. When I search for 1 person it says 3 tickets are available. However, when I search for 2 persons it states no tickets available. Is this a UA glitch?
I haven't seen that before. Is the flight operated by UA or by a partner? (You're talking about an award flight, right?)
Old Aug 9, 2019, 9:53 am

Programs: Statusless and proud
Originally Posted by nas6034
I haven't seen that before. Is the flight operated by UA or by a partner? (You're talking about an award flight, right?)
I've seen it only when booking a round trip flight vs. just searching one way. The JFK-CAI-JNB-WDH flight I just booked had 4 seats available. When searching this one way in isolation, it showed 4. When I tried searching for 4 seats on a round trip journey, it would show up. When I tried searching for 2 seats on a round trip journey, it failed to show up. I'm guessing random glitch or some weird married segment stuff.

Chris
Old Aug 9, 2019, 1:22 pm

The round-trip award search is essentially useless.
Old Aug 9, 2019, 4:58 pm

Originally Posted by JayhawkCO
I've seen it only when booking a round trip flight vs. just searching one way. The JFK-CAI-JNB-WDH flight I just booked had 4 seats available. When searching this one way in isolation, it showed 4. When I tried searching for 4 seats on a round trip journey, it would show up. When I tried searching for 2 seats on a round trip journey, it failed to show up. I'm guessing random glitch or some weird married segment stuff.

Chris

Yes, it is an one way award flight on partner airlines only. It’s a double connection on two different partner airlines.

I’m going to try and ask if phone fee can be avoided because of this glitch.
Old Aug 9, 2019, 5:20 pm

Programs: UA 1P-1MM, Marriott LT Titanium
Originally Posted by threeoh
The round-trip award search is essentially useless.
I second this. The only way it seems to work is if you are doing a domestic itinerary, or something with non-stop flights. It's especially bad for international flights where there are a lot of possible routings.
Old Aug 14, 2019, 3:32 pm

Programs: UA GS 4MM, RCC life member (paid), Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, CLEAR
I booked a one-way SK savers J award for EWR-ARN-CPH. I now want to change my plan and would like to stop at ARN. I called UA but the agent said that there is no more EWR-ARN space. I asked them if they can call Scandinavian Airlines to do this, but was told this is not possible. I assume if I call SK directly they are going to say I need to call UA. Any ideas/suggestions would be appreciated.

(I know I can just not to check bags, but that will be a challenge. Also I am not sure whether not showing up for the ARN-CPH leg might trigger some alarms for whatever reason.)
Old Aug 14, 2019, 3:40 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by PanAmWT
I booked a one-way SK savers J award for EWR-ARN-CPH. I now want to change my plan and would like to stop at ARN. I called UA but the agent said that there is no more EWR-ARN space. I asked them if they can call Scandinavian Airlines to do this, but was told this is not possible. I assume if I call SK directly they are going to say I need to call UA. Any ideas/suggestions would be appreciated.

(I know I can just not to check bags, but that will be a challenge. Also I am not sure whether not showing up for the ARN-CPH leg might trigger some alarms for whatever reason.)
There is no point calling SK. There are UA agents who can drop the second segment while keeping the first, but it can be hard to find one.

There are no repercussions to just no-showing the final segment. I have no idea if SK would short-check bags.
Old Aug 14, 2019, 3:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by Kacee
There is no point calling SK. There are UA agents who can drop the second segment while keeping the first, but it can be hard to find one.
This. If you have time, HUCA is usually successful but it's harder than most.
Old Aug 15, 2019, 11:25 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Explorist Caesars Wyndham Diamond, MGM Gold
So...

Need to travel from BKK to DEN. Been so hard to use united miles these day.
- Couldn't find anything when I search for BKK to DEN
- BKK to ORD shows BKK to TPE to ORD available
- Then ORD to DEN available next day (less than 24 hours)
- Can I book BKK to ORD and call united to add ORD to DEN without paying extra miles? Or is this part of Oct 6, 2016 multi city change that got killed?

All in business class.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.