Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA award booking,change questions/fees/issues/routing/excursionist problems {Archive}

Old Dec 27, 2016, 9:23 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
United's Announcement and FAQ

Kacee's Interpretation

Main Impact Since October 6
  • Fee Changes such as platinum members are subject to various award fees
  • No more free stopover - replaced with Excursionist Perk
  • Agents no longer have the ability to find routings that do not show up on united.com
  • Manually constructing trips using multi-city search results in multiple award fares being charged
  • Changing any segment MIGHT require current availability for all existing Os&Ds in the PNR (as if a brand new booking is made) - YMMV
  • Singapore Airlines segments are priced separately (add-ons)

Useful Links
This is an archive thread, the active thread is Award booking questions/ issues/ routing/ excursionist problems / help
Print Wikipost

UA award booking,change questions/fees/issues/routing/excursionist problems {Archive}

Old Jan 5, 2019, 5:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Short Haul within US?

Apologies if there is an obvious answer somewhere--I haven't kept up with award travel rules.

Is there no sub-10k award travel within US? I found some blog that implies such, but I had not been aware of it being the case. I thought the sub-500mi or so could be 7 or 8k.

--

Originally Posted by wco81
May be click bait but blogger thinks UA May be following DL and eliminating award charts.

https://viewfromthewing.boardingarea...-award-charts/

Hopefully gone just to update with PE awards, but I am not holding my breath.
Old Jan 9, 2019, 5:30 am

Programs: UA 1k
Is there any hard logic on when the engine will allow an award pairing or not:

Trying to get from KIX to NYC.

They have availability on OZ 111 (KIX-ICN)
and then OZ 222 (ICN-JFK) T+1 (connection is ~22h)

But the awards won't pair, so it'd cost significantly more miles.
However, from tokyo i can get the following:

OZ 105 (NRT-ICN)
OZ 222 (ICN-JFK) T+ 1 (layover is ~13 hours)

Any thoughts why?
Old Jan 9, 2019, 7:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by oblisk
Is there any hard logic on when the engine will allow an award pairing or not:
Not really, no.
Old Jan 10, 2019, 2:15 pm

Programs: Delta Plat, UA Plat, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold
Was trying to do a one way NRT-IAH on ANA today on UA website and got an error after payment. I called 1k and they said the economy saver was phantom and ANA has not fully opened their seats. I ask when can i try again...they said try every two-three days.

Anyone else have this issue? I don't have the time to deal with that and UA flight later that day is double the mile amount...
Old Jan 10, 2019, 6:48 pm

Programs: Au: UA, Marriott, Hilton; GE
Originally Posted by critten
Was trying to do a one way NRT-IAH on ANA today on UA website and got an error after payment. I called 1k and they said the economy saver was phantom and ANA has not fully opened their seats. I ask when can i try again...they said try every two-three days.

Anyone else have this issue? I don't have the time to deal with that and UA flight later that day is double the mile amount...
Set an EF alert?
Old Jan 11, 2019, 9:29 am
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
Apologies if I missed the answer in this thread....

• Booked an award trip with miles from my account (gold) for goalie-parents.
  • Outbound portion flown
  • They may not take the return trip in April and come back via other means*
  • If I do cancel the return portion, what happens w/r/t the miles, fees and etc? 100% sure I pay a re-deposit fee but not sure about anything else as I've never had to experience this

*long story
Old Jan 11, 2019, 9:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by goalie
If I do cancel the return portion, what happens w/r/t the miles, fees and etc? 100% sure I pay a re-deposit fee but not sure about anything else as I've never had to experience this
Nothing. You can't get the miles back -- it's not possible to turn a RT into a one-way after travel begins.

What you can do is change the return flight to something else; as a gold, you'd pay a $25 fee if done more than 60 days before travel and $75 otherwise. So, if they're booked CLE-FLL-CLE, and they don't want FLL-CLE, but they're taking a trip to California in October, you could change to CLE-FLL / LAX-CLE, etc.
Old Jan 11, 2019, 12:59 pm
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
Originally Posted by jsloan
Nothing. You can't get the miles back -- it's not possible to turn a RT into a one-way after travel begins.

What you can do is change the return flight to something else; as a gold, you'd pay a $25 fee if done more than 60 days before travel and $75 otherwise. So, if they're booked CLE-FLL-CLE, and they don't want FLL-CLE, but they're taking a trip to California in October, you could change to CLE-FLL / LAX-CLE, etc.
Thanks ^ as I was thinking of doing just that but wasn't sure
Old Jan 13, 2019, 8:38 am

Programs: UA 1k
Just for peoples information, it appears you can no longer route Japan <> US Award Flights through Mainland China. Searched a bunch of dates lots of segment availability but no one-way availability.
Old Jan 14, 2019, 3:25 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL SM, UA MP.
Been doing some award searches for late August, early September.

Seems they're showing mostly LOT J Saver awards for TATL. That's either to big Western European hubs or secondary airports like VCE.

Most of them show 32-33 hour outbounds so I won't choose those segments but curious if anyone has flown them through Warsaw as a way to get to Southern European destinations.

Hoping other choices come up. There are some awards on OS but they're always paired with a Y segment for SFO-ORD.
Old Jan 14, 2019, 8:02 pm

Originally Posted by wco81
Been doing some award searches for late August, early September.

Seems they're showing mostly LOT J Saver awards for TATL. That's either to big Western European hubs or secondary airports like VCE.

Most of them show 32-33 hour outbounds so I won't choose those segments but curious if anyone has flown them through Warsaw as a way to get to Southern European destinations.

Hoping other choices come up. There are some awards on OS but they're always paired with a Y segment for SFO-ORD.
I have been flying LOT a lot ( pun intended ) through WAW to many European destination incl. Southern Europe and they are a fine airline with a decent lounge as well.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Jan 14, 2019 at 11:57 pm Reason: repaired quote
Old Jan 17, 2019, 6:54 am

Programs: JL Diamond, CX MPC Silver, OW Emerald, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Maximum layover time for one-way award?

I am trying to book a one way award from LAX to NGO via SFO and HND. If possible, I would like to stay overnight in SFO. I remember the maximum layover time between segments used to be 24 hrs or less. Since the SFO-HND flight departs at 10am ish, I wanted to book a late morning flight from SNA to SFO on the day before but instead the system only gave me flights that leave in the evening. Has the rules for award ticket changed? Or can I only book the current offer and call United Reservation for changes?

Last edited by gijoe24jp; Jan 17, 2019 at 6:54 am Reason: add information
Old Jan 17, 2019, 7:13 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by gijoe24jp
Has the rules for award ticket changed? Or can I only book the current offer and call United Reservation for changes?
The rules have not changed, but the booking process has. You are generally limited to what the system offers you, and the choices tend to be much fewer than what was offered in the past. You could try calling to book the combination you want, but there's a good chance the result will be the same.
Old Jan 17, 2019, 11:55 am

Programs: UA Plat MM, AA Gold MM, Marriott LTT, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by gijoe24jp
I am trying to book a one way award from LAX to NGO via SFO and HND. If possible, I would like to stay overnight in SFO. I remember the maximum layover time between segments used to be 24 hrs or less. Since the SFO-HND flight departs at 10am ish, I wanted to book a late morning flight from SNA to SFO on the day before but instead the system only gave me flights that leave in the evening. Has the rules for award ticket changed? Or can I only book the current offer and call United Reservation for changes?
Originally Posted by Kacee
The rules have not changed, but the booking process has. You are generally limited to what the system offers you, and the choices tend to be much fewer than what was offered in the past. You could try calling to book the combination you want, but there's a good chance the result will be the same.
You can also separately check for SNA-SFO award availability. It's likely that UA is only offering the evening flights for saver awards. If there is reasonable availability on SNA-SFO, you book what UA offers first and then call to request change to the earlier flights with availability.

This sounds like UA control of domestic award availability which I have to deal with all the time. I can't get from RIC-ORD to be able to do ORD-XXX TPAC.
Old Jan 18, 2019, 11:50 am

My wife and I are headed to Italy next year on Business award tickets. Currently booked PDX->LHR, then the next day LHR->MXP (free Excursionist flight), and returning MXP->PDX after 2 weeks in Italy.

We don't like the LHR->MXP flight and after thinking about it, we'd rather save a long travel day and just book a nonstop regional flight LHR->FCO as Rome is our first real destination of our Italy trip anyway.

I don't want to pay $75 per ticket to cancel a free award ticket. I think that's ridiculous, but that's what the CSR told me. Is there any way to get around it, besides hanging up and trying for a more sympathetic agent?

I am worried about a no-show for the LHR->MXP leg impacting my return flight from Italy.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.