Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA award booking,change questions/fees/issues/routing/excursionist problems {Archive}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 27, 2016, 9:23 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
United's Announcement and FAQ

Kacee's Interpretation

Main Impact Since October 6
  • Fee Changes such as platinum members are subject to various award fees
  • No more free stopover - replaced with Excursionist Perk
  • Agents no longer have the ability to find routings that do not show up on united.com
  • Manually constructing trips using multi-city search results in multiple award fares being charged
  • Changing any segment MIGHT require current availability for all existing Os&Ds in the PNR (as if a brand new booking is made) - YMMV
  • Singapore Airlines segments are priced separately (add-ons)

Useful Links
This is an archive thread, the active thread is Award booking questions/ issues/ routing/ excursionist problems / help
Print Wikipost

UA award booking,change questions/fees/issues/routing/excursionist problems {Archive}

Search this Thread

Old Dec 9, 2018, 8:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by joaozinho
Booked a mileage plus award ticket from SFO to BKK (United and then Thai) via tpe. I currently have about 15 hours in TPE, but there is a flight that is 24 hours and 20 minutes later. I asked the booking agent but no luck. Any tips, or ways around, to somehow grab this slightly more than 24 hour layover?

thanks!!
not possible on partner metal, on UA you could use SDC to make it into a stopover. In theory you could ask Thai if they can put you on a later flight but I would not recommend that unless it is the last segment on your ticket.
Old Dec 9, 2018, 10:36 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
With UA all you can do is hope for a schedule change which lets UA break the fare rules and give you a free stopover. With TG, you may ask on arrival. Highly unlikely, but it's always possible that the flight you are on is overbooked and at risk of oversale and TG is happy to move you.

As others note, be 100% certain before leaving the desk that the remainder of your ticket is intact and then verify the same after your flight as well.
Old Dec 10, 2018, 7:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
Watch for schedule changes - if it moves 21 minutes total on either leg, you're golden.
Old Dec 11, 2018, 12:50 pm

Programs: None - previously UA
If I book FRA-JNB as an award and SFO-FRA opens up at later date can I change the award to SFO-FRA-JNB without releasing the FRA-JNB seats?
Old Dec 13, 2018, 9:22 am

Is there a blackout period for saver award?
I am looking at some last minute award booking for Christmas, and wondering if X/XN will open at last minute (like 2~3 hours before flight). Plan to fly out on 12/21 or 22nd.
Old Dec 13, 2018, 9:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by quintic
Is there a blackout period for saver award?
I am looking at some last minute award booking for Christmas, and wondering if X/XN will open at last minute (like 2~3 hours before flight). Plan to fly out on 12/21 or 22nd.
There are no blackout periods for saver awards, but there's also no guarantee that X/XN will open at the last minute. The 21st and 22nd will be pretty heavy travel days.
Old Dec 13, 2018, 10:24 am

Originally Posted by jsloan
There are no blackout periods for saver awards, but there's also no guarantee that X/XN will open at the last minute. The 21st and 22nd will be pretty heavy travel days.
thanks! I will take the chance, since it is quite late, and the price is already very high. Worst case, I will book a YN fare.
Old Dec 13, 2018, 10:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by quintic

thanks! I will take the chance, since it is quite late, and the price is already very high. Worst case, I will book a YN fare.
No -- the worst case is that there is a bad snowstorm on the 20th and all flights throughout UA's system are completely sold out for the next couple of days.

I'm not saying that's likely, but it's definitely possible. If I were planning to do this, I'd keep a very watchful eye on inventory and the weather.
Old Dec 13, 2018, 12:47 pm

I booked FRA - DEL - BOM // BLR - FRA on one ticket

I just landed in DEL and am suppose to fly to BOM in 10hrs from now. However, I no longer want to continue to BOM.

Can I skip the DEL - BOM leg? Can I call United and get them to remove the flight? I'm 1k.

I'm going to call United in the next hour to try. I'll update here if no one responds before.
Old Dec 13, 2018, 4:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
You cannot skip the DEL-BOM sector; your return will be canceled and all of your miles will be forfeit (i.e. no refund for the unflown return). If inventory is still available on BLR-FRA, you should be able to drop the segment by changing the ticket. If there is no inventory left, it's worth a try to drop it, but not likely to work.
Old Dec 14, 2018, 3:57 pm

Programs: AA Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Fairmont Platinum, United Silver, National Exec
Question Possible to add a domestic USA segment to an existing USA->International award ticket

Booked two one way business class tickets from ORD->ICN->SIN->MLE a couple of weeks ago (all on partner carriers). At the time I booked, there was no domestic saver award segment available from my hometown airport to ORD. Now that there is saver availability, can I add that segment without having to start over (which I wouldn't risk)?

I tried searching on this topic but couldn't get a specific answer to this question.

Thanks!
Old Dec 14, 2018, 4:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by flyupfront
can I add that segment without having to start over (which I wouldn't risk)?
It's worth calling to ask, but the answer may be no, especially if there isn't any more partner availability.
Old Dec 15, 2018, 6:54 am

Programs: 1K 2.2MM
"Refare" an award ticket once travel begins....

I have a RT SFO-SYD outbound in Saver Business, return in Standard Business, all UA metal. If a return in Saver opens up once I have flown the first segment, can I still re-fare to the lower award or is it too late? I think I can since its not *A but can't find any recent posts on this scenario. (Not sure why I always forget to book 2 OWs --- there are certain advantages to that sometimes for all UA flights or not?)
Old Dec 15, 2018, 7:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K (1MM), DL Gold (1MM), Marriott LTT
Yes, you can refare and get the miles back if saver business opens up. You're a 1K (based on your profile) so you can do this for free.

-RM
Old Dec 15, 2018, 9:06 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by 1k-all-the-way
Not sure why I always forget to book 2 OWs --- there are certain advantages to that sometimes for all UA flights or not?
Yes it's easier to make changes. The only reason for 1K to book a RT is to use the excursionist perk.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.