Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA award booking, change questions / issues / routing / excursionist problems / help

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 19, 2017, 10:23 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Main Impact
  • No more free stopover - replaced with Excursionist Perk
  • Agents no longer have the ability to find routings or build itineraries that do not show up on united.com
  • Manually constructing trips using multi-city search results in multiple award fares being charged
  • Changing any segment basically requires current availability for all existing Os&Ds in the PNR (as if a brand new booking is made)
  • Singapore Airlines segments are priced separately (add-ons)

Useful Links
EveryDay Awards - UA MP award changes 1 Nov 2017 (Everyday award/dynamic price, No RTW, No Show fee,..)
principle change - Standard awards being replaced by "EveryDay Award" with variable pricing

What is the Excursionist Perk?
The Excursionist Perk is a free one-way award within select multi-city itineraries. Members who book an itinerary with three or more one-way awards will be eligible to receive one of those one-way awards for free, if it meets all of these conditions:
The Excursionist Perk cannot be in the MileagePlus defined region where your travel originates. (For example, if your journey begins in North America, you will only receive the Excursionist Perk if travel is within a region outside of North America.)
  • Travel must end in the same MileagePlus defined region where travel originates.
  • The origin and destination of the Excursionist Perk is within a single MileagePlus defined region.
  • The cabin of service and award type of the free one-way award is the same or lower than the one-way award preceding it.
  • If two or more one-way awards qualify for this benefit, only the first occurrence will be free.

Previous thread -- UA award booking,change questions/fees/issues/routing/excursionist problems {Archive}

Print Wikipost

UA award booking, change questions / issues / routing / excursionist problems / help

Search this Thread

Old Jan 31, 2024, 12:46 pm

Originally Posted by jsloan
I'm not entirely following what you're asking, but in general, there are two downsides to having multiple tickets that jointly make up a single journey. (There are no real downsides to having two separate tickets, one being the outbound of a trip and one being the return, except that you don't get to benefit from any possible round-trip discount). The first is that you will generally need an extra step to get your bag tagged through to your destination. The second is that in the event of a delay on one ticket such that you arrive too late to make it onto the first flight of the second ticket, neither airline is obliged to rebook you, whereas if it were a single ticket, the airline that arrived late would be obligated to figure out how to get you to your destination. The major upside to having multiple tickets is that you often save lots of money or miles. In general, I'd recommend leaving a longer buffer between two separately-ticketed itineraries than you might if it were on a single ticket.

Note that if both itineraries are operated by UA, they're generally quite good about taking care of passengers even if they are on separate tickets.
Ok I think I get all that. I mean, by booking separate PNRs the IRS won’t audit my taxes? My luggage won’t be routed to Russia when I’m flying to Ukraine? United won’t invoke clause 584(d) and deny me boarding? You know, the regular stuff.

I will give plenty of time. We are probably flying United and a partner east or west to Asia.
Old Jan 31, 2024, 12:57 pm

Originally Posted by boscobjgd
I've been trying to book a US-->EU-->EU long haul to short haul award ticket on LX/OS. When I click on it to book I get a pop up that the LX (long haul) flight is no longer available. Then when I search the next day or two the award doesn't show as available. Then when I search the next day or two after that it'll show as available but I get the same pop up when I try to book. This has been going on for several weeks. I was wondering if anyone knows what's going on.

Edit: meant to quote Elvasoshexai
Thanks, that probably explains why I haven't been able to book these.
Old Jan 31, 2024, 1:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by zitsky
Ok I think I get all that. I mean, by booking separate PNRs the IRS won’t audit my taxes? My luggage won’t be routed to Russia when I’m flying to Ukraine? United won’t invoke clause 584(d) and deny me boarding? You know, the regular stuff.
No. It's a perfectly well-understood practice. I did it as recently as a week ago, and I have a flight booked later this year where I'll do it again.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Jan 31, 2024, 4:03 pm

I have an award with excursionist perk. I'm starting to see better flights pop up in saver space but would like not to be an I Blew Up My Award statistic.

1. If I want to rebook my first set of flights do I need the proper level of award availability showing for all flights?
2. If it all shows as available online am I good to make the change myself online? No phantom issues with LH, LX, or OS?
Old Feb 1, 2024, 5:04 am
Aman 5+ BadgeFour Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: UA1K, *G & Wife of UA1K MM
Originally Posted by 49penguins
I have an award with excursionist perk. I'm starting to see better flights pop up in saver space but would like not to be an I Blew Up My Award statistic.

1. If I want to rebook my first set of flights do I need the proper level of award availability showing for all flights?
2. If it all shows as available online am I good to make the change myself online? No phantom issues with LH, LX, or OS?
The entire itinerary (roundtrip) would need to be available.
49penguins likes this.
Old Feb 1, 2024, 5:41 pm

I just successfully got a favorable rerouting from SYD-LAX-IAH-DFW to SYD-SFO-DFW after my IAH connection time was reduced to 65 minutes (mainline to express), despite no I availability on that route. Originally this was mixed cabin (Polaris I saver and domestic XN). It is now all in JN (yay!). However, it is now listed as needing the ticket to be reissued. Is this something that should happen automatically, and if so when? Do I need to call? Is there any risk of losing my domestic J if someone notices?
Old Feb 1, 2024, 5:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mariol
I just successfully got a favorable rerouting from SYD-LAX-IAH-DFW to SYD-SFO-DFW after my IAH connection time was reduced to 65 minutes (mainline to express), despite no I availability on that route. Originally this was mixed cabin (Polaris I saver and domestic XN). It is now all in JN (yay!). However, it is now listed as needing the ticket to be reissued. Is this something that should happen automatically, and if so when? Do I need to call? Is there any risk of losing my domestic J if someone notices?
65 minutes is a good 20 minutes longer than many of my IAH connections.

How long has it been? Protection in JN is very much nonstandard and I do think reissuance is likely to be necessary. If it's been 24+ hours, call. Don't say anything more than "it says my ticket needs to be reissued," lest they put you back into I -- or worse, I/XN.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Feb 1, 2024, 5:56 pm

How long has it been? Protection in JN is very much nonstandard and I do think reissuance is likely to be necessary. If it's been 24+ hours, call. Don't say anything more than "it says my ticket needs to be reissued," lest they put you back into I -- or worse, I/XN.

Thank you. It's only been a couple of hours. This time tomorrow, I'll call and do just that. The Premier agent seemed somewhat dubious of my "concerned about the connection" call (I've done an I->D in that amount of time, just -- and only because I know not to follow the herd to that awful TSA rescreen) and certainly knew what I was doing; but she seemed happy enough to try to help.
jsloan and SPN Lifer like this.
Old Feb 1, 2024, 9:19 pm

Is there any way to upgrade a United Economy *A award booking with PP or miles? (LH or TK)
Is there a potential workaround to buy up to PE and then apply PP or Miles?
Thank you.
Old Feb 1, 2024, 9:47 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by FTDDD
Is there any way to upgrade a United Economy *A award booking with PP or miles? (LH or TK)
Is there a potential workaround to buy up to PE and then apply PP or Miles?
Thank you.
Awards can be upgraded with PlusPoints by only GS.
Additional miles can bd used to rebook an award into business by rebooking the award or by waitlisting (if UA operated)
Neither of the above can be used if booked with non-UA program miles.

Any award can be cash upgraded if offered -- check UA site for offer.

And award cash upgraded to PremPlus then can be upgraded PlusPoint or UA miles.
FTDDD likes this.
Old Feb 2, 2024, 12:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Neither of the above can be used if booked with non-UA program miles.
Also, neither of the above is an option if the desired flight is operated by someone besides UA. It's unclear to me if the question was about LH/TK miles being used to book a UA flight or MileagePlus miles being used to book an LH/TK flight.
SPN Lifer and FTDDD like this.
Old Feb 2, 2024, 8:41 am

Also, neither of the above is an option if the desired flight is operated by someone besides UA. It's unclear to me if the question was about LH/TK miles being used to book a UA flight or MileagePlus miles being used to book an LH/TK flight.
Thank you. Apologies about the confusion - I intended to ask about MileagePlus miles being used to book an LH/TK flight.
jsloan and SPN Lifer like this.
Old Feb 2, 2024, 1:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
Originally Posted by Kualoa
Thanks. I mean cancel the return segment (not change) after the the excursionist segment has been flown. As long as the schedule change is > 2 hours, I can cancel and get the return segment miles back?
Miles from a partially flown ticket are nt refundable.
Old Feb 2, 2024, 1:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Xyzzy
Miles from a partially flown ticket are nt refundable.
True for voluntary changes, not true for involuntary changes like OP is describing. But having the ExPerk in there definitely complicates things.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Feb 3, 2024, 3:07 pm

To close the loop on this, it did not automatically reticket. So I called -- this actually applied to 3 pax on 2 PNRs. The agent reticketed them both. However, after I received the both emails confirming the trips (all JN) and the red box disappeared from both pages, he was doing something more and eventually said that his supervisor pointed out that it shouldn't have been in First on the domestic leg. There was a lot more silence....eventually I guess his supervisor gave up (since it was already issued?) and they let it be so we're all good now. Thanks again.
jsloan, SPN Lifer and eightblack like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.