Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA award booking, change questions / issues / routing / excursionist problems / help

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 19, 2017, 10:23 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Main Impact
  • No more free stopover - replaced with Excursionist Perk
  • Agents no longer have the ability to find routings or build itineraries that do not show up on united.com
  • Manually constructing trips using multi-city search results in multiple award fares being charged
  • Changing any segment basically requires current availability for all existing Os&Ds in the PNR (as if a brand new booking is made)
  • Singapore Airlines segments are priced separately (add-ons)

Useful Links
EveryDay Awards - UA MP award changes 1 Nov 2017 (Everyday award/dynamic price, No RTW, No Show fee,..)
principle change - Standard awards being replaced by "EveryDay Award" with variable pricing

What is the Excursionist Perk?
The Excursionist Perk is a free one-way award within select multi-city itineraries. Members who book an itinerary with three or more one-way awards will be eligible to receive one of those one-way awards for free, if it meets all of these conditions:
The Excursionist Perk cannot be in the MileagePlus defined region where your travel originates. (For example, if your journey begins in North America, you will only receive the Excursionist Perk if travel is within a region outside of North America.)
  • Travel must end in the same MileagePlus defined region where travel originates.
  • The origin and destination of the Excursionist Perk is within a single MileagePlus defined region.
  • The cabin of service and award type of the free one-way award is the same or lower than the one-way award preceding it.
  • If two or more one-way awards qualify for this benefit, only the first occurrence will be free.

Previous thread -- UA award booking,change questions/fees/issues/routing/excursionist problems {Archive}

Print Wikipost

UA award booking, change questions / issues / routing / excursionist problems / help

Search this Thread

Old Jan 11, 2024, 5:19 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by abhilife2001
What happens if I miss the domestic connection? Will they give a hotel for the night since there is no other flight to end destination?
It all depends on whose fault the delay is. They will get you to your destination in any event, but if it's weather-related or ATC-related, they probably won't give you a hotel.
Old Jan 11, 2024, 5:28 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
... Have a UA award ticket wherein I connect in SFO to a domestic flight and there is only a 75 min gap between the incoming international leg on UA and the domestic leg on UA. That domestic leg flight is the last flight for that evening from SFO and the next connection is morning after a layover of 10 hours. I read that MCT is 80 mins in SFO but they have issued this ticket with everything on the same ticket.
What happens if I miss the domestic connection? Will they give a hotel for the night since there is no other flight to end destination?
Thx,
You will not get that far.
This ticket must be fixed if the connection time is less than the MCT "UA-UA ID 1.20", this is an invalid ticket and you will be blocked at check-in. Call and get another routing -- due to UA's error you can, within reason, pick any desired UA routing.

In reality either 75/80 minutes is crazy even if you have GE/PreCheck/Clear, done this connection multiple times and no bags. Insane if you don't. 2 hours min.

Not a connection from PreClearance location, by chance?

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Jan 11, 2024 at 6:43 pm Reason: PreClearance location?
Old Jan 11, 2024, 5:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Hello,
Have a UA award ticket wherein I connect in SFO to a domestic flight and there is only a 75 min gap between the incoming international leg on UA and the domestic leg on UA. That domestic leg flight is the last flight for that evening from SFO and the next connection is morning after a layover of 10 hours. I read that MCT is 80 mins in SFO but they have issued this ticket with everything on the same ticket.
Thx,
International leg from where? What airlines operate each leg?
Old Jan 11, 2024, 10:21 pm

[fyj]

Last edited by beltway; Apr 6, 2024 at 9:09 am
Old Jan 11, 2024, 10:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by beltway
I have a trip in a few months, booked as an AC award, with segments on UA and TAP. The coupon for the UA segment is “open for use” and not “airport control.” Is this normal or cause for concern? Other future AC awards—all involving travel on other partners—show airport control on all segments.

Usually I wouldn’t fret over such details, but this is an itinerary I had to have AC reconstruct after UA summarily canceled the first segment as impossible/overlapping with another itinerary (since canceled).

Thanks for any and all enlightenment.
Open for Use is normal for United coupons prior to travel. Nothing to worry about.
beltway likes this.
Old Jan 14, 2024, 9:51 am

Programs: Don't think it matters...
Originally Posted by jsloan
International leg from where? What airlines operate each leg?
International leg on UA from Singapore connecting to UA for Portland.

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
You will not get that far.
This ticket must be fixed if the connection time is less than the MCT "UA-UA ID 1.20", this is an invalid ticket and you will be blocked at check-in. Call and get another routing -- due to UA's error you can, within reason, pick any desired UA routing.

In reality either 75/80 minutes is crazy even if you have GE/PreCheck/Clear, done this connection multiple times and no bags. Insane if you don't. 2 hours min.

Not a connection from PreClearance location, by chance?
as they have issued the ticket, will they will willing to change the whole itinerary since there is no flight after this that evening and now tickets in take route as 2-3x miles?
Old Jan 14, 2024, 9:54 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
....as they have issued the ticket, will they will willing to change the whole itinerary since there is no flight after this that evening and now tickets in take route as 2-3x miles?
UA will fix this use UA operated flights at no additional miles to you.
jsloan and SPN Lifer like this.
Old Jan 14, 2024, 10:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

OK, so not a preclearance airport, which would have made the connection time legally.

as they have issued the ticket, will they will willing to change the whole itinerary since there is no flight after this that evening and now tickets in take route as 2-3x miles?
Yes. If you go back and check, you’ll find that there’s been a schedule change — they wouldn’t have sold this itinerary to you as listed. Go into the United website, do a search for SIN-PDX on that date, and they generally should be willing to put you onto any flight that comes back in your current class of service, without charging you any difference in miles. If you want an itinerary operated by partner airlines, you may need to argue a bit or hang up and call again. If your itinerary is purely operated by UA, it should be an easier conversation.

You should also be able to select an overnight stay at SFO if you wish, but UA will not pay for your hotel.
SPN Lifer and Xyzzy like this.
Old Jan 14, 2024, 10:32 am

When is this trip? While international schedules for the summer should be final, domestic schedules are only final through April I believe (given I had a change to the domestic part of an April trip just last week). If your trip is May or later, it's entirely possible the SFO-PDX schedule will change again and make it legal.

There also could be a flight-specific exception to the MCT.
Old Jan 14, 2024, 10:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by BelmontRef
When is this trip? While international schedules for the summer should be final, domestic schedules are only final through April I believe (given I had a change to the domestic part of an April trip just last week). If your trip is May or later, it's entirely possible the SFO-PDX schedule will change again and make it legal.
While that’s true, fixing it now shouldn’t preclude moving back to the original flight later if it becomes legal.

Originally Posted by BelmontRef
There also could be a flight-specific exception to the MCT.
There are no listed exceptions on the I-D MCT table for UA flights at SFO.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Jan 15, 2024, 4:38 am

Programs: Don't think it matters...
Originally Posted by jsloan
OK, so not a preclearance airport, which would have made the connection time legally.

Yes. If you go back and check, you’ll find that there’s been a schedule change — they wouldn’t have sold this itinerary to you as listed. Go into the United website, do a search for SIN-PDX on that date, and they generally should be willing to put you onto any flight that comes back in your current class of service, without charging you any difference in miles. If you want an itinerary operated by partner airlines, you may need to argue a bit or hang up and call again. If your itinerary is purely operated by UA, it should be an easier conversation.

You should also be able to select an overnight stay at SFO if you wish, but UA will not pay for your hotel.
Thabks for detailed response, will check with their contact center.
My complete itinerary is Del- Sin- SFO-Pdx with the Del-Sin leg on SQ.
jsloan likes this.
Old Jan 15, 2024, 4:31 pm

Programs: SPG Gold, HHonors Gold, IHG Platinum, Marriott Silver
Hi! Has anyone who booked a flight with United using Turkish miles gotten the error "Please sign in using the sponsoring MileagePlus Account Number and Password" when accessing the record locator on United.com? It's not stopping me from signing in or seeing my flight, changing or confirming anything, etc., but has this error message on top. I've spoken with United 2x, once when I booked and once now a week before my flight, and both times they say they don't see any issues on their end. I think I remember seeing this question asked somewhere on Flyertalk and the response was you can ignore it, but can't seem to find it now and I'd like to be certain.
Old Jan 15, 2024, 5:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by yoshapman
Hi! Has anyone who booked a flight with United using Turkish miles gotten the error "Please sign in using the sponsoring MileagePlus Account Number and Password" when accessing the record locator on United.com? It's not stopping me from signing in or seeing my flight, changing or confirming anything, etc., but has this error message on top. I've spoken with United 2x, once when I booked and once now a week before my flight, and both times they say they don't see any issues on their end. I think I remember seeing this question asked somewhere on Flyertalk and the response was you can ignore it, but can't seem to find it now and I'd like to be certain.
it's not a problem. It just means it was booked with an FQTV account other than the one you are logged in with
SPN Lifer and yoshapman like this.
Old Jan 15, 2024, 8:12 pm

I posted about this trip before. There was a schedule change with a longer layover, so I went to change LIS-EWR-RDU to LIS-IAD-RDU only to have United.com say “no partner availability” for LHR-LIS! RDU-LHR-LIS

Of course I will call or chat with united tomorrow. It was quite a surprise thinking my London to Lisbon flight was canceled. At least I hope it was just a misunderstanding on my part.

**** EDIT: ****

This was the resolution to my wanting to change flights to avoid a 6 hour layover on a LIS-EWR-RDU Premium Plus mileage award flight which I tried to change to LIS-IAD-RDU. (Entire flight is now RDU-EWR-LHR-LIS-IAD-RDU)

This was resolved, although I still don't have an explanation for what was happening and why I couldn't change the ticket. Some internal error. As I said, the website and app were complaining about a partner flight LHR-LIS which had NOTHING to do with my flight change to LIS-IAD-RDU.

I went through a 30 minute chat session that was horrible with someone who couldn't address the issue, just told me it couldn't be done.

Then a 1 hr 15 min phone call where a very helpful employee, I think from a Philippines call center spent about 20 minutes fixing this and reassigning my flight from LIS-EWR-RDU to LIS-IAD-RDU. But we both forgot the seat assignments.

United app and website wanted me to pay again for Economy Plus exit row seats on the reassigned flight IAD-RDU. I did another chat session about 15 minutes with a different agent to fix that.

All changes were done at net zero cost, no price increase or decrease. No additional miles required or refunded.

I was not at all happy with United after my first chat session, but of course, I'm very satisfied this was resolved through United's help and follow up on my part.

Last edited by zitsky; Jan 16, 2024 at 3:04 pm
Old Jan 15, 2024, 10:05 pm

Programs: UA
Originally Posted by zitsky
I posted about this trip before. There was a schedule change with a longer layover, so I went to change LIS-EWR-RDU to LIS-IAD-RDU only to have United.com say “no partner availability” for LHR-LIS! RDU-LHR-LIS

Of course I will call or chat with united tomorrow. It was quite a surprise thinking my London to Lisbon flight was canceled. At least I hope it was just a misunderstanding on my part.
Cash or award booking? You mention wanting to change to LIS-IAD-RDU but then mention RDU-LHR-LIS, how does that relate? Did you get a notification that a LHR-LIS flight was cancelled?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.