Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA award booking, change questions / issues / routing / excursionist problems / help

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 19, 2017, 10:23 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Main Impact
  • No more free stopover - replaced with Excursionist Perk
  • Agents no longer have the ability to find routings or build itineraries that do not show up on united.com
  • Manually constructing trips using multi-city search results in multiple award fares being charged
  • Changing any segment basically requires current availability for all existing Os&Ds in the PNR (as if a brand new booking is made)
  • Singapore Airlines segments are priced separately (add-ons)

Useful Links
EveryDay Awards - UA MP award changes 1 Nov 2017 (Everyday award/dynamic price, No RTW, No Show fee,..)
principle change - Standard awards being replaced by "EveryDay Award" with variable pricing

What is the Excursionist Perk?
The Excursionist Perk is a free one-way award within select multi-city itineraries. Members who book an itinerary with three or more one-way awards will be eligible to receive one of those one-way awards for free, if it meets all of these conditions:
The Excursionist Perk cannot be in the MileagePlus defined region where your travel originates. (For example, if your journey begins in North America, you will only receive the Excursionist Perk if travel is within a region outside of North America.)
  • Travel must end in the same MileagePlus defined region where travel originates.
  • The origin and destination of the Excursionist Perk is within a single MileagePlus defined region.
  • The cabin of service and award type of the free one-way award is the same or lower than the one-way award preceding it.
  • If two or more one-way awards qualify for this benefit, only the first occurrence will be free.

Previous thread -- UA award booking,change questions/fees/issues/routing/excursionist problems {Archive}

Print Wikipost

UA award booking, change questions / issues / routing / excursionist problems / help

Search this Thread

Old Jan 7, 2024, 1:11 pm

Programs: UA 1MM/1K, HH Diamond
Changing TK Award: HUCA or Out of luck?

A few months ago I booked a TK award itinerary with all segments in Biz (I class) except for one, which was not available at the time. Today, I see that this segment is available at the saver/I level. So I call UA to get this last segment. They told me no dice; the only way I can get this segment is if they reprice the entire itinerary, but since there is no longer saver availability for the overwater flight, they can’t do it.

Is this right? I thought that if I have a biz award itinerary but with one segment not in biz, that they can just swap that one out. Am I wrong?
Old Jan 7, 2024, 1:42 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by as219
.... Today, I see that this segment is available at the saver/I level. So I call UA to get this last segment. They told me no dice; the only way I can get this segment is if they reprice the entire itinerary, but since there is no longer saver availability for the overwater flight, they can’t do it.

Is this right? ..
Yes because it is a partner flight. If all UA may be doable, but since it requires a new ticket and the partner, may, many times does, refuse the change on the segments without present award inventory. This is not a new issue and trying to force it online will likely invalidate the ticket.

Move the query to a thread with multiple cases of travelers forcing this and them realizing they had an invalid ticket.
Old Jan 9, 2024, 5:18 am

Edit:

Booked with miles. I have a flight LIS-EWR-RDU. I want to get an earlier flight JFK-RDU that is now available. But my LIS-EWR in Premium Economy is no longer available. So I can’t use the change tool. Do I need an agent?

Last edited by zitsky; Jan 9, 2024 at 8:08 am
Old Jan 9, 2024, 6:16 am

Who is operating JFK-RDU?

Originally Posted by zitsky
Booked with miles. I have a flight LIS-JFK-RDU. I want to get an earlier flight JFK-RDU that is now available. But my LIS-JFK in Premium Economy is no longer available. So I can’t use the change tool. Do I need an agent?
Old Jan 9, 2024, 7:31 am

Originally Posted by mariol
Who is operating JFK-RDU?
United Airlines.
Old Jan 9, 2024, 7:47 am

Programs: UA LT 1K, 3 MM; Marriott Titanium; IHG Platinum
United Airlines.
Please check your reservation carefully. UA only operates EWR-RDU, not JFK-RDU.
SPN Lifer and Xyzzy like this.
Old Jan 9, 2024, 8:09 am

Originally Posted by Kmxu
Please check your reservation carefully. UA only operates EWR-RDU, not JFK-RDU.
I corrected my post. EWR. I’ll try chat with an agent.

Edit: Agent says LIS-EWR-RDU is a married segment and no changes can be made. I’ve never heard of this before. I’m not a frequent flyer.

Last edited by zitsky; Jan 9, 2024 at 8:22 am
Old Jan 9, 2024, 8:25 am

Programs: Don't think it matters...
Originally Posted by mahasamatman
Another reason to book awards early is for schedule changes. If there's a significant schedule change, you pretty much have free run to book almost any United-operated itinerary (they can open United inventory, but can't force partners to open inventory).
If there is a schedule change, does UA not restrict rebookings to within 1 week of the prior booking date? I recall being told that when I was rebooking after a schedule change.
Old Jan 9, 2024, 9:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Edit: Agent says LIS-EWR-RDU is a married segment and no changes can be made. I’ve never heard of this before. I’m not a frequent flyer.
The agent is correct: you can't do what you're trying to do absent a schedule change or something else that would throw the regular rules out the window. You may be able to switch to the earlier flight upon arrival at EWR -- speak to a United agent at the desk past the luggage carousels before you drop off your checked baggage, if any, to continue to RDU. (You'll need to pick it up at EWR to go through Customs).

Airline tickets, including United MileagePlus awards, are sold on an origin to destination basis, so any voluntary changes that you make require fresh availability from origin to destination. You can't just swap out one leg and expect the price to be the same.

Originally Posted by abhilife2001
If there is a schedule change, does UA not restrict rebookings to within 1 week of the prior booking date? I recall being told that when I was rebooking after a schedule change.
+/- 1 day is probably more common unless you have a very good story. UA agents aren't idiots. The strategy that mahasamatman meant was to go ahead and book long / inconvenient connections, an extra stop, etc. on the day you want to travel if you're booking many months out and the convenient options are more expensive, because a schedule change is likely and then you can swap to the preferred routing at no charge.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Jan 9, 2024, 9:46 am

Originally Posted by jsloan
The agent is correct: you can't do what you're trying to do absent a schedule change or something else that would throw the regular rules out the window. You may be able to switch to the earlier flight upon arrival at EWR -- speak to a United agent at the desk past the luggage carousels before you drop off your checked baggage, if any, to continue to RDU. (You'll need to pick it up at EWR to go through Customs).

Airline tickets, including United MileagePlus awards, are sold on an origin to destination basis, so any voluntary changes that you make require fresh availability from origin to destination. You can't just swap out one leg and expect the price to be the same.
I very much appreciate your reply. I said nothing about same price. I did not realize that an award flight could never be changed.

Do you think we could ask at LIS or just EWR before we recheck bags?

Changing the flight would mean not using the secret Premium Plus lounge with the Beluga caviar and Dom Perignon champagne. I like staying at the airport. My husband likes to get in and out.
Old Jan 9, 2024, 9:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I very much appreciate your reply. I said nothing about same price. I did not realize that an award flight could never be changed.
Well, it can be changed, but there has to be availability on the entire flight itinerary that you want, and that doesn't seem to be the case at the moment. That can change, so it's worth checking again. But when I say "the same price," I mean that you may find that you have to pay 3x as many miles just to change the 2-hour leg to RDU. I was assuming you wouldn't want to do that.

You can certainly ask; your odds might be better at EWR.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Jan 9, 2024, 11:03 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by jsloan
The strategy that mahasamatman meant was to go ahead and book long / inconvenient connections, an extra stop, etc. on the day you want to travel if you're booking many months out and the convenient options are more expensive, because a schedule change is likely and then you can swap to the preferred routing at no charge.
But always book something you're willing to fly in case it doesn't happen.
jsloan, SPN Lifer and diburning like this.
Old Jan 9, 2024, 11:18 am

Originally Posted by mahasamatman
But always book something you're willing to fly in case it doesn't happen.
I booked a 6 hour layover EWR-RDU thinking an earlier flight would show up. Not a schedule change. We can live with it. I don’t want to lose our bulkhead PP seats LIS-EWR.
Old Jan 9, 2024, 11:25 am

Changing the flight would mean not using the secret Premium Plus lounge with the Beluga caviar and Dom Perignon champagne. I like staying at the airport. My husband likes to get in and out.
I just did SYD-IAH-DFW yesterday in a nearly identical situation. Aboard the TPAC leg, I used the United app's chat feature and successfully asked for a SDC to the flight two hours earlier that I originally wanted (but there was no IN/XN inventory when I booked it). It was quick and easy, and they didn't even need to retag my bags when I rechecked them -- the scan was enough. I would advise requesting the SDC as early as you can (in LIS or even before you leave for the airport within 24 hours of the domestic flight).
Xyzzy and zitsky like this.
Old Jan 9, 2024, 11:46 am

Originally Posted by mariol
I just did SYD-IAH-DFW yesterday in a nearly identical situation. Aboard the TPAC leg, I used the United app's chat feature and successfully asked for a SDC to the flight two hours earlier that I originally wanted (but there was no IN/XN inventory when I booked it). It was quick and easy, and they didn't even need to retag my bags when I rechecked them -- the scan was enough. I would advise requesting the SDC as early as you can (in LIS or even before you leave for the airport within 24 hours of the domestic flight).
Thanks. We’ll do that. Did you have to pay for Wi-Fi to use chat onboard?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.