Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Award booking or change questions / issues / routing / excursionist problems / help

Award booking or change questions / issues / routing / excursionist problems / help

Hide Wikipost
Old Jul 13, 19, 8:59 am   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Wiki Link
United's Announcement and FAQ

Kacee's Interpretation

Main Impact Since October 6, 2016
  • Fee Changes - for example, Platinum members are subject to various award fees
  • No more free stopover - replaced with Excursionist Perk
  • Agents no longer have the ability to find routings or build itineraries that do not show up on united.com
  • Manually constructing trips using multi-city search results in multiple award fares being charged
  • Changing any segment MIGHT require current availability for all existing Os&Ds in the PNR (as if a brand new booking is made) - YMMV
  • Singapore Airlines segments are priced separately (add-ons)

Useful Links
EveryDay Awards - UA MP award changes 1 Nov 2017 (Everyday award/dynamic price, No RTW, No Show fee,..)
principle change - Standard awards being replaced by "EveryDay Award" with variable pricing

What is the Excursionist Perk?
The Excursionist Perk is a free one-way award within select multi-city itineraries. Members who book an itinerary with three or more one-way awards will be eligible to receive one of those one-way awards for free, if it meets all of these conditions:
The Excursionist Perk cannot be in the MileagePlus defined region where your travel originates. (For example, if your journey begins in North America, you will only receive the Excursionist Perk if travel is within a region outside of North America.)
  • Travel must end in the same MileagePlus defined region where travel originates.
  • The origin and destination of the Excursionist Perk is within a single MileagePlus defined region.
  • The cabin of service and award type of the free one-way award is the same or lower than the one-way award preceding it.
  • If two or more one-way awards qualify for this benefit, only the first occurrence will be free.

Previous thread -- Updates to UA MP Multi-City Award Travel & Award Fee Changes (Post Oct 2016){Archive}
Print Wikipost

Old Feb 23, 19, 12:26 am

Programs: Pt: UA; Au: AA, Marriott, Hilton; Ex-HA Pt (now not), GE
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA View Post
If PZ>0, yes
Could you kindly note what the equivalent code is for domestic RPU use? Thank you.
Old Feb 23, 19, 12:32 am

Programs: UA 1K, DL PM, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by 747FC View Post
Could you kindly note what the equivalent code is for domestic RPU use? Thank you.
It's the same: PZ
FlyingHighlander and 747FC like this.
Old Mar 1, 19, 9:53 am

Programs: Pt: UA; Au: AA, Marriott, Hilton; Ex-HA Pt (now not), GE
Allow me to Vent

I'm trying to get from HNL to CTS on a J or O award. On several possible travel dates, United comes up with seats on either ANA (in O) or UA (J). However, in each case, one needs to transfer airports to catch a connecting flight. For example:

Fly ANA O-class into HND, but need to transfer to NRT to get to CTS. No connecting flights showing to CTS from HND..

Fly UA J-class into NRT, but need to transfer to HND to get to CTS. No connecting flights showing to CTS from NRT.

Is this crazy or what?
Old Mar 7, 19, 3:20 pm

Programs: *A "Top 1000 2015", FB Lifetime Plat., UA 1K; Marriott Gold; Hilton Gold.
Can't ticket award flight AMS-LIS-MAD-BOG-UiO?

Trhying to book award flight AMS-MAD via LIS on day X and MAD-BOG-UIO on day X+1. I can book each separately, but if I try to book as a single ticket, using a multi city itinerary, then I get an error after selecting the second leg flightsI get:Error

Due to rapidly changing partner availability the following flights are no longer available. Please choose another flight or modify your search criteria.
  • TAP Portugal flight TP1018 - 20/12/2019 - 18:05 - Lisbon, PT (LIS) to Madrid, ES (MAD)
But there is still availability if I retry immediately. Is there something about this routing that means it won't ticket? I'd do it all on one day but I can't get to MAD in time from AMS to catch the 1350.

If I book the AMS-MAD section on LH via FRA on day X then I can get through to the next page. So it seems to be someting specific to using TP.

Any ideas as the TP timings are more convenient?

Thanks!

PS When I choose AMS-FRA-MAD + AMS-BOG-UIO it shows a 80k+25k = 105 miles for a biz award. But there is less than 24 hours between arriving and departing MAD so it's a layover rather than a stopover isn't it, so should be a total of 80k miles? I can book DUB-MAD-BOG-UIO for 80k miles in biz.

Last edited by Leedsflyer; Mar 7, 19 at 3:35 pm Reason: added a PS about mileage used
Old Mar 7, 19, 3:32 pm

Programs: All of them, UA-Plat, 1MM*G
Any particular reason for this itinerary? AMS-IAH-UIO would seem to be a lot more convenient. All on UA metal with just one connection.
AMS-IAH, 1105-1430, UA21
IAH-UIO, 1820-2335, UA1035
Old Mar 7, 19, 3:38 pm

Originally Posted by Leedsflyer View Post
PS When I choose AMS-FRA-MAD + AMS-BOG-UIO it shows a 80k+25k = 105 miles for a biz award. But there is less than 24 hours between arriving and departing MAD so it's a layover rather than a stopover isn't it, so should be a total of 80k miles? I can book DUB-MAD-BOG-UIO for 80k miles in biz.
As soon as you use multi-city search, United will now price it as point-to-point, regardless of whether it's a stopover or not. The only way to get the 80K price is to get AMS-UIO for the 80K price is to get it to appear on a single search result or to get a kind agent to relax the rules for you, normally by booking the long segment first and then calling to add the shorter segment.

That's what I'd recommend, anyway; book what you can, let it ticket, and then call within 24 hours to add the rest and see if you can get the lower price. If it doesn't work out, you can cancel.
Old Mar 7, 19, 3:50 pm

Programs: *A "Top 1000 2015", FB Lifetime Plat., UA 1K; Marriott Gold; Hilton Gold.
Originally Posted by seenitall View Post
Any particular reason for this itinerary? AMS-IAH-UIO would seem to be a lot more convenient. All on UA metal with just one connection.
AMS-IAH, 1105-1430, UA21
IAH-UIO, 1820-2335, UA1035
because there is no saver availability on Dec 21 on the UA routing -- i agree this is a bit of a long way round. Also there are 3 other UK based PAX, so need 4 tickets altogether, preferably all travelling out together all in biz. For the UK based pax, I don't mind adding a positioning flight the day before so as to save the UK high tax. I could position the AMS based pax to MAD on a separate direct flight, but if I can include it al in one award ticket then I hoped it might be all included except for a little bit more tax. MAD-BOG-UIO seems to be the only way to get 4 PAX to UIO on Dec 21 in biz....

Originally Posted by jsloan View Post
As soon as you use multi-city search, United will now price it as point-to-point, regardless of whether it's a stopover or not. The only way to get the 80K price is to get AMS-UIO for the 80K price is to get it to appear on a single search result or to get a kind agent to relax the rules for you, normally by booking the long segment first and then calling to add the shorter segment.

That's what I'd recommend, anyway; book what you can, let it ticket, and then call within 24 hours to add the rest and see if you can get the lower price. If it doesn't work out, you can cancel.
thanks. that helps. I was thinking of calling an agent, but thought I'd get clued up as to what should be possible before calling...

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Mar 7, 19 at 7:26 pm Reason: merging consecutive posts by same member
Old Mar 7, 19, 4:08 pm

I once had to call to get 4 segments ticketed. I thought it was a website limitation at the time.
Old Mar 7, 19, 4:41 pm

Originally Posted by rrgg View Post
I once had to call to get 4 segments ticketed. I thought it was a website limitation at the time.
well if you managed to get it ticketed by calling, then it kind of must be?

btw, my understanding is that as a 1K, I can call up any time until departure to add/delete segments or even cancel the entire tix at no cost -- correct? (assuming space is available, and of course with financial adjustments if taxes change).

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Mar 7, 19 at 7:27 pm Reason: merging consecutive posts by same member
Old Mar 7, 19, 5:14 pm

btw, my understanding is that as a 1K, I can call up any time until departure to add/delete segments or even cancel the entire tix at no cost -- correct? (assuming space is available, and of course with financial adjustments if taxes change).
That's correct.
Old Mar 7, 19, 5:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Gold, Amex Plat
just make sure you understand that space must be available for ALL flights on the entire itinerary at the time you make that change. It is not enough to have space on the segment you want to add ... or subtract ... you need fresh inventory once partner metal gets involved.
Old Mar 7, 19, 5:48 pm

Originally Posted by cfischer View Post
just make sure you understand that space must be available for ALL flights on the entire itinerary at the time you make that change. It is not enough to have space on the segment you want to add ... or subtract ... you need fresh inventory once partner metal gets involved.
That may be changing; there are some recent data points that suggest that it may be possible to make changes without requiring availability on the whole trip. It's a good reminder, though, that it could be a problem.
Old Mar 7, 19, 7:18 pm

Programs: UA Plat, 2MM
Originally Posted by cfischer View Post
This has been my experience in the recent past. Before the merger it was never a problem.
Old Mar 11, 19, 9:06 am

How to get a stopover when booking with points...

I am looking at booking a flight with points from Raleigh/Durham to Christchurch New Zealand. The flight path is RDU->SFO->AKL->CHC.

Since the flight will go through San Francisco, I would like to spend a couple nights there before heading on to New Zealand. The only option online with United is to do a multi city research which then charges me extra miles for my flight from RDU to SFO.

Would an agent be able to book this for me with a stopover without charging extra miles? Is there any tricks/trades to make this happen or am I just out of luck.

Thanks!
Old Mar 11, 19, 9:13 am

Programs: TK Elite, UA 1K, IHG Plat
Pretty much no way to do it. You just have to pay for RDU-SFO and use award ticket from there.

Last edited by thedon; Mar 11, 19 at 9:13 am Reason: no quote

Search this Thread