Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA award booking, change questions / issues / routing / excursionist problems / help

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 19, 2017, 10:23 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Main Impact
  • No more free stopover - replaced with Excursionist Perk
  • Agents no longer have the ability to find routings or build itineraries that do not show up on united.com
  • Manually constructing trips using multi-city search results in multiple award fares being charged
  • Changing any segment basically requires current availability for all existing Os&Ds in the PNR (as if a brand new booking is made)
  • Singapore Airlines segments are priced separately (add-ons)

Useful Links
EveryDay Awards - UA MP award changes 1 Nov 2017 (Everyday award/dynamic price, No RTW, No Show fee,..)
principle change - Standard awards being replaced by "EveryDay Award" with variable pricing

What is the Excursionist Perk?
The Excursionist Perk is a free one-way award within select multi-city itineraries. Members who book an itinerary with three or more one-way awards will be eligible to receive one of those one-way awards for free, if it meets all of these conditions:
The Excursionist Perk cannot be in the MileagePlus defined region where your travel originates. (For example, if your journey begins in North America, you will only receive the Excursionist Perk if travel is within a region outside of North America.)
  • Travel must end in the same MileagePlus defined region where travel originates.
  • The origin and destination of the Excursionist Perk is within a single MileagePlus defined region.
  • The cabin of service and award type of the free one-way award is the same or lower than the one-way award preceding it.
  • If two or more one-way awards qualify for this benefit, only the first occurrence will be free.

Previous thread -- UA award booking,change questions/fees/issues/routing/excursionist problems {Archive}

Print Wikipost

UA award booking, change questions / issues / routing / excursionist problems / help

Search this Thread

Old Oct 11, 2023, 6:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by Krivad
Two questions related to changes/didn't seem to fit elsewhere. I cancelled my PP upgrade request on an AKL-SFO flight (paid cash for economy). Phone agent redeposited the upgrade request miles. I can see those miles in my account. I now notice that a bettered timed flight is the same price, so I looked at changing it. UA wants to charge me the $15 difference in prices, but then says "charge $15 price increase, redeposit XX,000 miles".
1. Does this mean I'll get a double refund? Did the agent just manually adjust my mileage balance. Seems like it is asking for trouble maybe to go through with, but at the end of the day, what are they gonna do besides make it right and clawback the miles and leave me with the original balance. Seems low risk to try it, and I do want to change the flight. The mileage credit was listed as something different than the description was when the miles were deducted to make the request.
2. Right now, if I cancel the flight, I am charged ~$100 cancellation fee and get the remainder refunded to my original form of payment OR I have the option to take a travel credit for the full ticket price. If I change my flight, will this impact my cancellation option? i.e. will it make it to where I won't have the option to refund to the original payment (minus fee) and will be forced to take the credit if this new flight has to be cancelled?
Don't worry about the 'miles redeposit' language ... not your problem. If you change the flight or you cancel and re-book you have new fare rules that may or may not allow for a refund. Look at an independent booking for this new flight and check the fare rules carefully.
Old Oct 11, 2023, 7:44 am

Originally Posted by cfischer
Don't worry about the 'miles redeposit' language ... not your problem. If you change the flight or you cancel and re-book you have new fare rules that may or may not allow for a refund. Look at an independent booking for this new flight and check the fare rules carefully.
fare rules have the same cancellation charge of NZD$150, just wasn't sure if on the backend the original amount would be converted to a travel credit and then used to book the new flight with a travel credit.
Old Oct 11, 2023, 8:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Krivad
fare rules have the same cancellation charge of NZD$150, just wasn't sure if on the backend the original amount would be converted to a travel credit and then used to book the new flight with a travel credit.
no, not unless you do a refund and re-book. A change will use the change process ... but the more restrictive rules will prevail. As long as the new rules are the same there is no reason to not use the change flight process IMO.
jsloan, SPN Lifer and Krivad like this.
Old Oct 11, 2023, 10:28 am

Programs: Delta Plat, Hyatt Globalist, HIlton Diamond
awards are refundable. You will not lose any miles if you book Y right now.
Reading up a bit more on this, is it pointless to look into Lufthansa premium or business class being available on United more than 2 weeks out? Seems like they don't release to partners further out than that?
Old Oct 11, 2023, 10:41 am

no, not unless you do a refund and re-book. A change will use the change process ... but the more restrictive rules will prevail. As long as the new rules are the same there is no reason to not use the change flight process IMO.
Thanks for the info, tough to navigate these weird situations and I trust FT more than UA phone agents who have provided incorrect information at least half the time.
Old Oct 12, 2023, 9:07 am

Programs: HHonors Diamond, IHG Plat, Club Carlson Gold, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by Grace B
I cancelled a multi-carrier, multi-ticket award recently and have had the miles refunded, but not yet the cash. This was done manually by two different agents at different times, as they seemed to have difficulty deleting everything.

Now it it seems, after several weeks, that not all of the sectors may actually have been cancelled, as several of the carriers are still showing that their flights are confirmed and ticketed.

I'm just wondering what might happen if I try and fly these sectors.

Emphasis mine. Have you had this resolved? I cancelled my award flights one month ago and never received the taxes back, only miles. I filed a refund request a couple of days ago but haven't received a reply yet. The flights were booked using UA miles to travel on TK, LH, and UA.
Old Oct 12, 2023, 6:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by eternalX
Reading up a bit more on this, is it pointless to look into Lufthansa premium or business class being available on United more than 2 weeks out? Seems like they don't release to partners further out than that?
The 2 week thing is only for First Class. Business is available to partners at any time.
eternalX likes this.
Old Oct 13, 2023, 2:55 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, UA2MM, QF Platinum, VA Platinum., Volare Executive Club
Originally Posted by Namaste1
Emphasis mine. Have you had this resolved? I cancelled my award flights one month ago and never received the taxes back, only miles. I filed a refund request a couple of days ago but haven't received a reply yet. The flights were booked using UA miles to travel on TK, LH, and UA.
I spoke to an agent again a few days ago and was assured that the refund had been processed and that it was on its way to my bank account.

We shall see..
Old Oct 14, 2023, 8:52 pm

Programs: Don't think it matters...
Booking award r/t ticket - adding excursionist leg later?

Hello,
Can we book an award r/t ticket using UA miles and then add excursion leg later? That leg is always available as many flights on that sector but dates are not finalized and hence dont want to book now. Or should I go ahead and book it for a date and then change it later?
Thank you for your advise.
Old Oct 14, 2023, 9:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by abhilife2001
Hello,
Can we book an award r/t ticket using UA miles and then add excursion leg later? That leg is always available as many flights on that sector but dates are not finalized and hence dont want to book now. Or should I go ahead and book it for a date and then change it later?
Thank you for your advise.
Neither of these approaches work particularly well, particularly if there are any partner flights involved.

Of the two, you'll probably have slightly better luck with booking with the most likely excursionist date now and hoping you can change it later, but understanding that you might not be able to do so. If that's not acceptable, then you can try the other approach, with the understanding that you also might not be able to add a segment.

The difference is, if you have something booked and then don't fly it, because the dates don't work anymore and you can't get it cleared out, then your return ticket is subject to cancelation when you no-show for the excursionist leg.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Oct 15, 2023, 4:03 am

Programs: UA 1K
I was surprised that I could have easyily added a 2nd (excursionist) and 3rd (non-free) segment to a MUC-BUD oneway award on Lufthansa today. But the website is buggy enough that I wouldn't rely on it.

In the end, I didn't do so anyway because the ticket originated in Germany and therefore, the UA site will add the German long-haul departure tax for MAJ-KSA as a 2nd leg.

Guess, there's no way around that other than departing in other EU countries? I haven't seen this behavior with other departure taxes so far.

Last edited by delpiero223; Oct 15, 2023 at 4:17 am
Old Oct 15, 2023, 7:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by delpiero223
In the end, I didn't do so anyway because the ticket originated in Germany and therefore, the UA site will add the German long-haul departure tax for MAJ-KSA as a 2nd leg.

Guess, there's no way around that other than departing in other EU countries? I haven't seen this behavior with other departure taxes so far.
I suppose it depends upon how the law is written. The UK APD is based upon the distance to the next stopover. If the German tax is based on the distance to the furthest point, then it would be correct to apply it in that case.
Old Oct 15, 2023, 2:14 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
What would be the best search options for Business Class awards to Europe in the first week of September? We eventually need to make it to BCN, but I'm willing to purchase the tag from wherever. The only sensible itinerary I've been able to find so far for under 100K is a flight to IST. I've been searching from pretty much every gateway west of the Mississippi to every city in Europe I can think of and haven't been able to come up with anything better.
Old Oct 15, 2023, 2:40 pm

Programs: I want to be free! Free!
Originally Posted by mahasamatman
What would be the best search options for Business Class awards to Europe in the first week of September? We eventually need to make it to BCN, but I'm willing to purchase the tag from wherever. The only sensible itinerary I've been able to find so far for under 100K is a flight to IST. I've been searching from pretty much every gateway west of the Mississippi to every city in Europe I can think of and haven't been able to come up with anything better.
honestly? The releases are so random, I would say your best chance is close in awards with LH. The loads in the back from sfo have been absolutely abysmal but front cabin has remained strong; lax similarly tough. DEN or ORD to LHR or FRA might see some reasonable awards open up eventually on UA metal but it’ll take daily checking; Lufthansa’s IAH flight seems over-equipped and is a pretty reliable for close in C space.
Old Oct 15, 2023, 3:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

First week of September is just opening up now, I’d give it a while and keep checking. There is also a major biomedical conference in BCN 2nd week of September, which will sell out J …

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.