Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

booking flight for unborn baby and other Q's

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 27, 2019, 11:24 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Print Wikipost

booking flight for unborn baby and other Q's

Search this Thread

Old Jan 22, 2017, 7:34 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by FlyerGirl77
... LH and United cannot book a ticket for our currently unborn second child. ...
Lapchild or a separate seat?
Old Jan 22, 2017, 9:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by acesflyerSFO
Since the baby is most likely going to travel as an infant you can buy their ticket even on the day of the departure and pay 10% off the corresponding adult fare that The traveling adult has paid.

I wouldn't worry about purchasing the infant ticket early.
I believe this is incorrect.

The 10% corresponds to the lowest available fare at the time you purchase for the infant. Granted, the couple of 10% itineraries we've done with lap child have been done at the same time, but I've always been told its based on fares at the time of purchase of infant fare, and that the adult ticket prices have no bearing on that.

Originally Posted by TA
What does it matter what the name on the ticket is? Infants don't have to have ID or proof of anything anyway.

correction - international might be a problem.
This - I've never shown ID for lap infant on domestic travel. International travel you definitely need a passport, and I assume they would require the same name matching as they have for adults.

Originally Posted by FlyerGirl77
As we currently do not know name, gender and obviously not DOB, there's nothing they can do for us. However, what if we "faked" all of this and just typed in whatever we expect.

Can we fix the ticket later and say we just made a mistake? Or is this useless?

Thanks
Flyergirl77
I doubt the system will accept a birthdate in the future.

As for name change, as mentioned earlier, it is often a problem. They are more lenient in some areas - I've seen Asia in particular, TG fare rules often allow a name change for a small fee.

North America especially, and I presume EU, all consider the ticket a contract between the named passenger and the carrier, and can not be changed after the fact. They probably allow for small errors like typos (and now that I think of it, when adding my lap infant on the phone one time, they misspelled my daughter's name and they corrected it without issue). But I imagine one letter vs. an entire name is a an entierly different matter.

Last edited by emcampbe; Jan 22, 2017 at 9:18 pm
Old Jan 22, 2017, 9:22 pm

I doubt the system will accept a birthdate in the future.

As for name change, as mentioned earlier, it is often a problem. They are more lenient in some areas - I've seen Asia in particular, TG fare rules often allow a name change for a small fee.

North America especially, and I presume EU, all consider the ticket a contract between the named passenger and the carrier, and can not be changed after the fact. They probably allow for small errors like typos (and now that I think of it, when adding my lap infant on the phone one time, they misspelled my daughter's name and they corrected it without issue). But I imagine one letter vs. an entire name is a an entierly different matter.

So, then the only way to ensure we get a bassinet would be to book a fake lap infant ticket right now (with a birthdate in January) and then once Kid 2 is there to cancel the ticket and buy another one and add this to our itinerary. Given how cheap this is, it might actually be worthwhile. At least that's all I could think of doing right now.
Old Jan 22, 2017, 9:23 pm

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Lapchild or a separate seat?
Lapchild
Old Jan 22, 2017, 10:07 pm
tht
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K 1.01 MM
Thats what I have just had to do, I already have the sex and name, but can confirm a future birthday gets rejected. Want the baby on the ticket now for the basinet. I was going for miles flights so have booked the outbound already, and will be getting the return in the next week when the seats open up. One thing to note is that while you may be able to book the seat map may not be open yet, I have the ticket, but cant reserve the seats or basinet yet.
Old Jan 24, 2017, 9:33 pm
tht
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K 1.01 MM
Originally Posted by aacharya
Surprised - I thought there was an APD - oh perhaps children are waived now.

No issue if you book revenue for you and miles for them. Seats will stick - and if they don't, can fix in a few - but harder to get free bags and all.
Well after 3 seats opened up in XN, 3 opened up in IN, so grabbed them.

The baby in arms was $121 + tax in XN, an is $501 in IN.. and the miles only went up by 27,500 x 3 to go from Y to C...

Seat map is still not open to snag seats but I think we can make 1 ABD work on a 767 and that row had the basinet in the top of the seat they keep the table cloths in, I am assuming that these will still be the old seats by December next year as the 2 seats next to each other will be easier for a toddler than all aisle access Polaris seats...
Old Feb 27, 2017, 7:44 am

Programs: United MileagePlus Silver, AAdvantage, Chase Ultimate Rewards, IHG Rewards Platinum
Changing birthdate on an infant award

Hey all,

So I found a glitch where between certain regions, I can add an infant award and United won't charge me extra (unfortunately this award doesn't touch the US).

My wife and I are expecting our child to be born in May, so we obviously don't know the birthdate yet, but United requires it for the infant award. My question is am I able to change the date later, after my child is born.

Thanks I know this is an obscure question, any help would be appreciated.
Old Feb 27, 2017, 8:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
No. I'd say if entering/leaving the US, this could be an issue.

Not within the US - probably less of an issue as one has to enter the exact passport information anyways.
Old Feb 27, 2017, 8:07 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
Just put the baby's due date. Then you are being as honest as possible, and I really can't see any hassles with changing it in the future, as you can just tell them what you did.
Old Feb 27, 2017, 9:03 am

Programs: UA GS+LT UC, AA EXP+LT PLT, Fairmont LT PLT, Marriott PLT, Hilton DIA, Hyatt Glob, Avis CHM
As long as the baby is clearly under 2 nobody is going to care or check the actual DoB.
drewguy likes this.
Old Feb 27, 2017, 9:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

You can change bday at checkin when passport etc data is entered.
Old Feb 27, 2017, 9:51 am

- Birthday cannot be changed at check in
- International travel requires a passport and, technically, birth date on the passport must match ticket data

In my experience when traveling with a small infant (under 3 months) - passport data has to match ticket information just like it does for an adult.
Old Feb 27, 2017, 9:54 am

Programs: UA GS+LT UC, AA EXP+LT PLT, Fairmont LT PLT, Marriott PLT, Hilton DIA, Hyatt Glob, Avis CHM
I've flown domestic and international with incorrect DoB for children without issue.
Old Feb 27, 2017, 10:00 am

Originally Posted by ctownflyer
I've flown domestic and international with incorrect DoB for children without issue.
I have no doubt that domestic flights are possible. However, ever since passports became a requirement for children to travel internationally, DOB mismatch is not permissible. OP should do this at his own risk.

The advice I found wrt. booking tickets for a yet-to-be-born child is to book only adults, and add the child later, after s/he is born, once the DOB (and the name) are known. Since, presumably, lap child is free - that should have been a non-issue at the time (and probably not an issue for this ticket, which is why there are no miles needed to book for the child)
Old Feb 27, 2017, 10:20 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by Quikarmani
So I found a glitch where between certain regions, I can add an infant award and United won't charge me extra (unfortunately this award doesn't touch the US).
Are you sure about that? It's a well known UA IT flaw that the website doesn't charge for, or issue, lap infant tickets, even when one is required.

Quite a few people have been burned by this. Lapchild Fee not Charged at Booking - Should UA Honor Booking?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.