Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

"Detachable Luggage Cart" Tiff w/ FA...Rogue or Rule?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

"Detachable Luggage Cart" Tiff w/ FA...Rogue or Rule?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 17, 2017, 7:31 am

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Platinum/LT Platinum, Hilton Gold
I'm not sure what the rule is, but my first thought when I saw the picture is how is this worse than a pair of crutches? I understand that they get a medical exemption, but I think crutches are a lot more likely to fall out of a bin and smack someone, and I see those all the time.

It seems like this device might fit in a duffel bag of legal carry on size if that's possible next time.
Old Jan 17, 2017, 7:53 am
Original Member

Programs: UA 1K/1MM, AA EXP, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Plat Amb
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Nevertheless that is what it is and they are not allowed in the OHBs because of their tendency to fall out upon opening the bins. Which I have seen happen in the past.

These are sort of uncommon nowadays and the announcement is irregularly made. So no go in the OHB. OK under the seat if it does not stick out.
Bingo! In the olden days, it was part of the boarding announcement.
Old Jan 17, 2017, 7:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GM on VX, UA, AA, HA, AS, SY; Budget Fastbreak
I agree about the duffel / bag - once at the gate, slip the folded wheelie into a duffel or large canvas bag and treat it as another personal bag. Your 1K status should let it slip past the carry-on limit. Or hide it in the car seat. I'm assuming car seat was on plane and your nephew had his own seat? If he's a lap baby, then the wheelie could get bagged with car seat on the jetway.
Your nephew is so cute. Can't wait til you have JVPhotoJr because the 2 of you will be the most adorable father/son combo on any flight.
Old Jan 17, 2017, 8:20 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K / *G / Marriott PE / Expedia Gold+ / Hertz PC
The car seat is in his own seat because it's much easier to get him to sit still and eventually zonk out. I just booked our HNL on the 777s so we won't need either of these on those flights as in F it will be easier to just recline/flat bed him and less of a hassle to carry stuff.

FWIW in the OHB I had the diaper bag my sister has on her back on top off the cart and the wheels don't really touch the surface of the OHB in anyway that would allow it to somehow magically shoot out and impale another pax. I could see though some FAs enforcing the luggage cart rule from the golden years before manufacturers decided to just out the wheels directly on the bags.
Old Jan 17, 2017, 8:27 am

Programs: UA MM 1K, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium Elite
I've never had a problem with that. i used to use it all the times with my twins and carrying the twins car seats onto the aircraft.
Old Jan 17, 2017, 9:10 am

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by PTahCha
Bingo! In the olden days, it was part of the boarding announcement.
I remember that too. In the olden days before roller-boards were so ubiquitous.
Old Jan 17, 2017, 10:30 am

Programs: United Mileage Plus 1K 2 MM, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Platinum
Originally Posted by zrs70
I recall the announcement used to say, "detachable luggage carts, also known as 'wheelies' can not go in the overhead bins."

Haven't heard that in years. But I also haven't seen one in years, as most people have rolling luggage.

The rule is probably still in the books. And the seniors FA's are probably more aware of it than newer ones.
My recollection exactly.

I had a set of wheelies that I would occasionally use; long gone now.
Old Jan 17, 2017, 10:40 am

Programs: UA GS, AA PLT, HH Diamond
We have used that exact cart with our car seat without a single problem on both UA and DL. the key thing that we have done is that we stuff a ton of the bags on top of the cart once it is in the overhead. My guess is the rule isn't that they may fall out of the overhead it is that they take up space that could be used for a "real" bag. So if you put a couple bags on top of it, they won't say anything. The other thing we do is that the car seat is attached to it until we get on board the plane. In that way, it could be argued that it is part of the seat, which is a passenger safety system.
Old Jan 17, 2017, 11:03 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by MSY-MSP
We have used that exact cart with our car seat without a single problem on both UA and DL. the key thing that we have done is that we stuff a ton of the bags on top of the cart once it is in the overhead. My guess is the rule isn't that they may fall out of the overhead it is that they take up space that could be used for a "real" bag. So if you put a couple bags on top of it, they won't say anything. The other thing we do is that the car seat is attached to it until we get on board the plane. In that way, it could be argued that it is part of the seat, which is a passenger safety system.
This was the first adventure with a kid. On SFO-DEN we took it to the end of the jetway. The GA gave a 3sec pause before calling G1 so that was on our .... On the next ones figured it was just easier to have one person carry him and one carry the car seat.
And on the flights home when it was in OHB I did have the diaper bag and my coat sitting on top of it utilizing the space.
I'd love to see an argument on board that while all carry one are equal some are more equal than others.
Old Jan 17, 2017, 8:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Not to make fun of JVPHoto as I have always enjoyed his trip reports. I am surprised an experienced traveller does not know the detachable luggage cart rule. Maybe he is too young to remember
Old Jan 17, 2017, 8:42 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by username
Not to make fun of JVPHoto as I have always enjoyed his trip reports. I am surprised an experienced traveller does not know the detachable luggage cart rule. Maybe he is too young to remember
I'm 33. Chances are when those announcements were made I had the headphones of my DiscMan in.

Texts from my sister before this trip:
Do I need to bring E's passport for ID?
-I don't know.
But you fly all the time.
-And how many times has it been with a kid??
Old Jan 18, 2017, 3:34 pm

Programs: United Mileage Plus 1K 2 MM, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Platinum
Love the hat; very jaunty!
Old Jan 18, 2017, 7:28 pm

Programs: United Global Services, Lifetime Hilton Diamond
I had a similar cart. In businessfirst or First, I have never been asked to check it, but on some smaller aircraft, I have been asked to place it on the floor or behind the last seat of first. Also, in EWR, I was told it counted as carry on baggage and I needed to check it since it was over the limit (this happened 1 time after at least 10 years of using it). I wanted to have it for my connecting flight through the airport and I asked nicely if I could keep it and the person said no. I then had the idea to just put it in my carry on bag The gate agent was disappointed.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.