Wiki Posts
Search

Overhead Space Poaching in F Cabin

Search this Thread

Old Jan 16, 2017, 3:23 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Mileage Plus 1K \\ ConciergeKey
Overhead Space Poaching in F Cabin

Don't know if this is the right place to post this, but hopefully someone can check me and see if i'm completely overboard.

Was on the second segment of TPE - LAX yesterday (SFO -LAX) and was booked in F cabin (ERJ 175).

Got onto the plane to see that someone in E had placed their bags in the overhead cabin space above my seat (1 D & C) 2 travelers, which left us with no space for our bags.

I didn't complain, but was told that I should have told the agent to move their bags by a GS member. I'm 1K, but shouldn't flight crew be aware of this?

VERY inconsiderate. I gave him a dirty look as he was doing it, but didn't want to rock the boat as I was already incredibly tired and didn't want to deal with an altercation.

Anyone else with this experience?
Old Jan 16, 2017, 3:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Is that "had to gate check" or "bags went over row 3" no space? When there is no space in sight from the F cabin, I defer to the crew ("can you please help me find somewhere for this?") and I have never had a problem. Including one time where I was the last one on board, and the FA evicted some bags from over my seat (presumably belonging to a Y pax) and gate checked them.

But yes, poaching is one of the reasons I feel a need to lice Group 1. If I were in row 1 and I actually saw my space getting poached, I would probably make an issue of it.
Old Jan 16, 2017, 3:35 pm

Programs: UA GS, 1MM; Marriott Lifetime Titanium Elite
If I witnessed this I would make a comment to FA asking "why did he stowed his bags up here?"

Then they know and can decide how to handle.
Old Jan 16, 2017, 4:08 pm

Programs: United 100K, Etihad Gold, Marriot Platinum, Hilton Gold
Same thing happened yesterday on my ORD - DTW flight. I was last in boarding group 1, and all the space in the first class cabin was already poached. This was by the lovely crew, who were probably the worst UA crew I've ever seen in my life except for the rude stew on the way to Shanghai, but thats a whole 'nother story.
Old Jan 16, 2017, 4:33 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
UA does not reserve space in the OH. Not in F for F passengers. Not in E+ for E+.

So, what happened to your bags? Did you wind up stashing them somewhere else in the cabin or did you wind up gate-checking them?

Either way, send a note to UA specifically noting that it ought to clearly mark the F OH for G passengers. Needless to say, when boarding is complete, if there is space, the FA's can do what they please with extra space.

Savvy travelers know that UA doesn't reserve the OH and there are many connecting elites. Someone ahead of you figured that he was either going to be stuck gate-checking or with his bag in the OH at the back, so he grabbed the first open bin.
Old Jan 16, 2017, 4:35 pm

Programs: UA-GS 1MM), Hertz Pres Circle, Starriott Titanium)
Usually on the ERJs I find that most of the overhead is hogged by crew bags...Making e+ bags a moot point.
Old Jan 16, 2017, 4:53 pm

Programs: UA Gold (.85 MM), HH Diamond, SPG Platinum (LT Gold), Hertz PC, National EE
Put me in camp that has zero tolerance for F bin space being used by E passengers, unless of course all F passengers are already seated. I once witnessed a guy who was maybe 5th on board, but seated in E+ place his bag above row 2 and then go back to row 7. FA called him back to retrieve his bag. Wish more FA's would police this absurd behavior.
Old Jan 16, 2017, 4:53 pm

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Platinum/LT Platinum, Hilton Gold
How did you know it was someone in coach? I've often seen crew bags (usually you can tell but not always) and VERY OFTEN see my fellow F passengers put 2-3 items (with jackets) in the bin and none under their seats. I actually find many F passengers to be incredibly inconsiderate of others. When I'm not in F, I can't even count the number of times I've stood at Row 1 waiting to pass while some moron stood in the middle of the aisle and slowly folded his sport coat to put it in the bin.

If you saw someone in coach do it, I would have asked them if they'd rather have their bag near them during the flight, so I wouldn't be tempted to steal anything from their bag.
Old Jan 16, 2017, 5:36 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Mileage Plus 1K \\ ConciergeKey
Originally Posted by Often1
UA does not reserve space in the OH. Not in F for F passengers. Not in E+ for E+.

So, what happened to your bags? Did you wind up stashing them somewhere else in the cabin or did you wind up gate-checking them?

Either way, send a note to UA specifically noting that it ought to clearly mark the F OH for G passengers. Needless to say, when boarding is complete, if there is space, the FA's can do what they please with extra space.

Savvy travelers know that UA doesn't reserve the OH and there are many connecting elites. Someone ahead of you figured that he was either going to be stuck gate-checking or with his bag in the OH at the back, so he grabbed the first open bin.

Lucky we had two bags that fit in the closet right in front of row 1, so we were able to stash them there.

I knew it was someone in E because he was only a couple pax in front of me when I saw him place his bag there and move back to his seat.

I'll keep in mind that United doesn't save OH space for F class, or E+. Guess i've been lucky that I usually find space on these regional jets...but will make a note to avoid them from now on.
Old Jan 16, 2017, 6:02 pm

Programs: UA
Is it possible it was the deadheads/non-revs taking all the space?

That's been a problem in my experience. Sometimes there can be a LOT of deadheads/non-revs on planes.

Remember, sometimes you don't even see them board.

---

Little you can do about it now except complain (you might get some comp back).

Lesson though, you really need to board in Group 1 if you're able to do so. It sucks, but that's the way it is
Old Jan 16, 2017, 6:55 pm
V9

Programs: UA 1K/MM, Marriott Pltm, Hyatt Diamond, spg Pltm
Don't assume someone sitting in E is NOT a First Class passenger. Once I was having an F BP, and because it's a crowded flight, I lined up in G1 to board (usually I always board later), put my stuff in F OH, then went to E to sit in my wife's seat who was still outside in G2. Someone in F gave me a dirty look as I walked towards the back. Of course I looked very politely back at him.
The privilege to put your stuff near your seat is included in your boarding Group. (That's why F pax are always in G1) If your are in G1, but choose to board later and found no OH space, then you have no one else to blame.
Old Jan 16, 2017, 7:22 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by Rumples
I'll keep in mind that United doesn't save OH space for F class, or E+.
The good UA FAs used to monitor the F bins and save them for F pax. Occasionally you'll still see them do it.

Poaching F bin space if you're sitting in Y is DYWKIA conduct and extremely inconsiderate.

Originally Posted by V9
The privilege to put your stuff near your seat is included in your boarding Group. (That's why F pax are always in G1) If your are in G1, but choose to board later and found no OH space, then you have no one else to blame.
That's nonsense.
Old Jan 16, 2017, 7:29 pm

Programs: UA GS, KE MM, OZ DP, SQ PPS, Ritz Carlton Gold, IHG Aspire
Well, this is why I am so sensitive to boarding fast on transpacific flights on the 747. It's worst when you are in row 5 deliberately and the crew used your overhead space...
Old Jan 16, 2017, 7:51 pm

While flying F, I've been stopped by FAs multiple times while putting my bag up, asking "where are you seated?". Even in the past year. I guess I don't look like an F customer

I do wish the overhead space in F was reserved for F pax first.
Old Jan 16, 2017, 10:52 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, UA 1K, Hertz Platinum
Originally Posted by V9
Don't assume someone sitting in E is NOT a First Class passenger. Once I was having an F BP, and because it's a crowded flight, I lined up in G1 to board (usually I always board later), put my stuff in F OH, then went to E to sit in my wife's seat who was still outside in G2. Someone in F gave me a dirty look as I walked towards the back. Of course I looked very politely back at him.
what?
why didn't you and your wife board together in G1?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.